Jets In No Rush To Add Depth At QB

flgreen

Jets in no rush to add depth at quarterback

17m

Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer

The New York Jets are in no rush to acquire a veteran quarterback to play behind Ryan Fitzpatrick, and that's the smart play.

They have reached out to veterans, but the free-agent market is lean. One possibility is Tyler Thigpen, who has some background with offensive coordinator Chan Gailey. Thigpen played under Gailey with the Buffalo Bills in 2011 and 2012.

Thigpen's record as a starter is 1-11. The Jets reportedly had a conversation with Michael Vick, but they agreed to pass on a reunion, according to NFL.com.

The Jets will re-evaluate the situation after Thursday night's preseason opener against the Detroit Lions. Fitzpatrick will start for the injured Geno Smith (broken jaw), but he won't play much. Rookie Bryce Petty will get a lot of work, with undrafted rookie Jake Heaps perhaps seeing some mop-up duty.

There's no point in rushing into a decision because it's not like they're missing out on anybody. They could wait a couple of weeks to see who shakes free when rosters are cut to 75. One name to watch is former Jets QB Matt Simms, currently fourth on the Bills' depth chart. Personnel people around the league expect the Bills to cut one and maybe two quarterbacks, which means Matt Cassel or EJ Manuel also could be in trouble.

Simms requested his release from the Jets in the offseason and landed with the Bills, reuniting with Rex Ryan. Could he return? Stranger things have happened. See: IK Enemkpali claimed on waivers by Ryan one day after punching out Smith. Simms had two months of exposure to Gailey's offense before he was cut.

"The guys on the street aren't good options," one AFC personnel executive said. "I'd just ride with Petty. He might not be ready, but you're not winning games with any of those other guys on the couch, either."

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely he'll play tomorrow.  Can't wait to see if he has a spark.

Thanks I am excited to see him play as well.

The Jet fan in me now wants to see Petty play and start the season.  But the football NFL observer in me says Petty cant be ready yet..

But again the fan in me says so what!!!

I am going crazy I need to see real football played now!

Jets in no rush to add depth at quarterback

17m

Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer

The New York Jets are in no rush to acquire a veteran quarterback to play behind Ryan Fitzpatrick, and that's the smart play.

They have reached out to veterans, but the free-agent market is lean. One possibility is Tyler Thigpen, who has some background with offensive coordinator Chan Gailey. Thigpen played under Gailey with the Buffalo Bills in 2011 and 2012.

Thigpen's record as a starter is 1-11. The Jets reportedly had a conversation with Michael Vick, but they agreed to pass on a reunion, according to NFL.com.

The Jets will re-evaluate the situation after Thursday night's preseason opener against the Detroit Lions. Fitzpatrick will start for the injured Geno Smith (broken jaw), but he won't play much. Rookie Bryce Petty will get a lot of work, with undrafted rookie Jake Heaps perhaps seeing some mop-up duty.

There's no point in rushing into a decision because it's not like they're missing out on anybody. They could wait a couple of weeks to see who shakes free when rosters are cut to 75. One name to watch is former Jets QB Matt Simms, currently fourth on the Bills' depth chart. Personnel people around the league expect the Bills to cut one and maybe two quarterbacks, which means Matt Cassel or EJ Manuel also could be in trouble.

Simms requested his release from the Jets in the offseason and landed with the Bills, reuniting with Rex Ryan. Could he return? Stranger things have happened. See: IK Enemkpali claimed on waivers by Ryan one day after punching out Smith. Simms had two months of exposure to Gailey's offense before he was cut.

"The guys on the street aren't good options," one AFC personnel executive said. "I'd just ride with Petty. He might not be ready, but you're not winning games with any of those other guys on the couch, either."

I would celebrate.  I still believe in ya, Matt!

I have blind, uninformed faith that Fitz can win with the parts around him. It is the most talent both he and Gailey have had to work with. 

If not, however many reps Petty gets will bring him that much closer to being capable of stepping up.

Worst comes to worst... **** it, we won with a great defense, and hiding the QB on offense before... we can do it again.

I have blind, uninformed faith that Fitz can win with the parts around him. It is the most talent both he and Gailey have had to work with. 

If not, however many reps Petty gets will bring him that much closer to being capable of stepping up.

Worst comes to worst... **** it, we won with a great defense, and hiding the QB on offense before... we can do it again.

This is exactly why I'm honestly not too worried.  I totally agree neither Fitz nor Gailey has ever had the talent level that this team has surrounded them with.

This brings me to another point.  Macc and Bowles really are a breath of fresh air.  it almost seems like the curse or whatever you wanna call it keeps trying to put the Jets down time after time this offseason/TC but the Jets brass came organized this time with Plan B's and Plan C's in place.  Sheldon messes up, Williams steps in.  Geno messes up, Fitz steps in. Allen goes down, we give a bubble CB a shot at adding existing value as a 4th Safety on the roster.  This is the first season in a long time when I hear the bad news I just roll my eyes and shake my head but actually don't feel threatened or worried about the upcoming season and look forward to a future where we can put these headlines as distant memories and replaced with more positive ones.

I don't think you'll see that until the 4th game.

2nd game

Fitz 1st half

Petty3rd+

Heap mop up 4th

You are right, Fitz is gonna need more time with the starters but this is where it will get interesting to see.  How much exposure are they willing to give Fitz before reg season.  This will be a delicate decision for Bowles.  Usually you would want to wait till the 3rd preseason game to put your starter in for a half.

You are right, Fitz is gonna need more time with the starters but this is where it will get interesting to see.  How much exposure are they willing to give Fitz before reg season.  This will be a delicate decision for Bowles.  Usually you would want to wait till the 3rd preseason game to put your starter in for a half.

That's a point about the exposure.  If Fitz gets hurt, and he could, the whole season is in real jeopardy.  I suspect they won't pick up a genuine back up until the cuts.  Then it will take 2-4 weeks to get him up to speed.   Jets have to be careful with Fitz    

May need to look at someone who may be long term, again, I like what I saw from Glennon and think he could be a solid starter with the right coaching , ie Chan Gailey. Geno may have burned his last bridge with the Jets, even if he does come back and play. Face it, the new administration is not going to tolerate this kind of behavior from there players. An while Geno was certainly the victim here, a true leader would have never let it get to the point it did.

Agree Macc should be going hard and heavy at San Fran to acquire Kap

The Jets have gone nearly 50 years with no SB appearance. None of those other available QB's give the Jets a chance to change that streak. None of them. The objective is to win the SB. Kap is the only choice as he is still young enough to win here now and in the future. He is clearly their best chance now that Geno is no longer in the picture

LOL

Sometimes that happens and I still can't figure out why!!

But I am so happy to see Petty play in truth but I know in my heart he is not ready.

I still can remember when Chad went down and then Jay Fiedler went down on like back to back series.. And then the Jets season went down the toilet....

As you stated above the Jets have to very careful with the QB position now..

The Jets have gone nearly 50 years with no SB appearance. None of those other available QB's give the Jets a chance to change that streak. None of them. The objective is to win the SB. Kap is the only choice as he is still young enough to win here now and in the future. He is clearly their best chance now that Geno is no longer in the picture

But in truth how do they get Kap here?

I see this next season as a potential but as for this season I can not see how this can be done.....

But I would LOVE to be WRONG!!!

But in truth how do they get Kap here?

I see this next season as a potential but as for this season I can not see how this can be done.....

But I would LOVE to be WRONG!!!

I would use draft picks and Geno. SF can get one of the drafts QB's next year. The Jets will have a current QB who also is young enough to have a real future here too.

The locker room is currently toxic. A new QB who brings a chance for a ring would brighten things up and change the vibration immensely.

Agree I said this yesterday when the news broke.  

Lets make San Fran an offer they cant refuse. 

Archived