Walter Powell

Jetster

This dude showed some flashes last year. He plays like he's shot out of a cannon. Last year he was trying to play too fast.

With some experience I think he could help us win a couple games with his special teams returns.

I think we might have found a good one, love his strides he chews up yards very quickly.

Now we need a damn punter.

Saw him make one or two really nice grabs yesterday.  SNY Analyst Chad Cascadden also said that during OTA's, Powell was the player who stood out to him as somebody who could surprise.

Saw him make one or two really nice grabs yesterday.  SNY Analyst Chad Cascadden also said that during OTA's, Powell was the player who stood out to him as somebody who could surprise.

He was a 6th rd pick by the Cards last year that we got on waivers so Bowles knows him. Here's some more info..

Finding information on Powell is a bit challenging, yes. Not many outlets had a draftable grade on him, but general manager Steve Keim gave the youngster a call anyway.

Conflicting reports on his 40-yard dash time are making it difficult to report Powell’s speed accurately. NFL.com has 4.63 seconds from his combine. NFLDraftScout.com reported 4.54 seconds from his combine and 4.44 seconds from his pro day. So who knows how fast he actually is?

What is known is how physical and willing to block he is. He will work all the way down the field on offense to get open. On special teams, he can return punts and kicks (but he won’t, according to head coach Bruce Arians at a press conference Saturday) and serve as a gunner on punt coverage.

He has value as a special teamer in that regard, but he will have a difficult time finding the field as a receiver on offense. With receiver Ted Ginn Jr. signed to a three-year deal and fellow rookie Brown and Jaron Brown above Powell on the depth chart, a spot will be hard to come by.

He was our leading reciever against the Lions (by a whopping 1 yard over Marshall) and he made some very nice returns. He was the only one to return kicks for us, as the Lions wouldn't even let Hakim return one. Other than the nearly costly mistake of fielding that kick with the 5 yard line, he looked pretty good. Surprised me. I wasn't expecting much from him. He certainly has a chance to earn a roster spot on special teams alone, but if he continues to make catches on offense, I think he's a lock--barring someone else flashing on kick returns.

He was our leading reciever against the Lions (by a whopping 1 yard over Marshall) and he made some very nice returns. He was the only one to return kicks for us, as the Lions wouldn't even let Hakim return one. Other than the nearly costly mistake of fielding that kick with the 5 yard line, he looked pretty good. Surprised me. I wasn't expecting much from him. He certainly has a chance to earn a roster spot on special teams alone, but if he continues to make catches on offense, I think he's a lock--barring someone else flashing on kick returns.

Meanwhile the guy we cut Greg Salas had close to 100 yds..

I'd like to see a return to the emphasis on special teams that seems to've been missing here since Westoff retired. He used to get a couple players every year whose primary job was special teams. I'd give the edge to Hakim and Powell over Evans and Enunwa based on that alone.

He was a 6th rd pick by the Cards last year that we got on waivers so Bowles knows him. Here's some more info..

He was cut before the season it is likely Bowles knew little to nothing about the kid before Bowels became the head coach of the NY Jets, if he was making big plays in training camp in Arizona I could see the defensive coordinator knowing who the guy is but if he was making big plays he wouldn't have been cut from their roster.

I'd like to see a return to the emphasis on special teams that seems to've been missing here since Westoff retired. He used to get a couple players every year whose primary job was special teams. I'd give the edge to Hakim and Powell over Evans and Enunwa based on that alone.

That's a good point, and even more so when you factor in Evans and Enunwa both having a hard time in shaking the dropsies. I REALLY want Hakim to shine on offense. I think if he could just catch one long bomb--just one--then that would put him ahead of ALL the fringe recievers.

Powell's main competition will probably be Arenas, the CB they just signed.  The two of them will be battling for punt return duties. They have to prove they are better than Kerley to make it worthwhile because it is unlikely that Kerley is going to be cut.  Kerley complained about having to compete for #3 WR, but that may be a good thing.  He sure returns punts like a complacent guy that has his roster spot and doesn't want to get hurt.  Not exactly Leon Bright.

Hakim hasn't showed anything to me.  He's fast but that's it., he did a poor job on returns and doesn't have great hands.  He needs to be a good Kr if he is going to stick.

Me too..

I was a big Salas guy but the kid simply cannot stay on the field. Sure he will look great during the PS but if he can't stay healthy during the season, what is the point of keeping him on the roster? It isn't even like he only has 1 or 2 years of bad luck, he's going into his 5th season. Who knows, maybe he will be able to turn his career around? 

I was a big Salas guy but the kid simply cannot stay on the field. Sure he will look great during the PS but if he can't stay healthy during the season, what is the point of keeping him on the roster? It isn't even like he only has 1 or 2 years of bad luck, he's going into his 5th season. Who knows, maybe he will be able to turn his career around? 

that is true, he's been banged up everywhere he has been.

Like they say; You can't make the club in the tub.. :winking0001:

I loved how he looked against Miami last year but he has concussion issues.  it sucks.

I was looking for big things from Owusu. Hell, he was the reason Kerley was demoted to 4.

Let's hope we can get something out of him. His speed alone has to be respected & makes room for Marshall & Decker to do their work.

Marshall & Decker are going to be a PITA for defenses for 4 quarters!

They could wear out some sh*tty secondaries which will really bode well for Kerley, Owusu, Graham, Powell?

Whoever the guys are at those 3/4/5/6 spots, they will get chances downfield.

At least he was better than Nelson. I guess Salas needs a QB not named Geno throwing him the damn ball...

Can u believe that one of out starting receivers was David Nelson last year?

Holy sh*t!

Matt Ryan is throwing to Julio Jones & White! Rogers is throwing to Jordy Nelson & Cobb.

Geno had Greg Salas & David Nelson, lol.

Man our talent was so incredibly bad last year!

Can u believe that one of out starting receivers was David Nelson last year?

Holy sh*t!

Matt Ryan is throwing to Julio Jones & White! Rogers is throwing to Jordy Nelson & Cobb.

Geno had Greg Salas & David Nelson, lol.

Man our talent was so incredibly bad last year!

It was awful!

Archived