Jets cut Matt Flynn, Johnson Likely Back-Up QB

JetNation

By Glenn Naughton   Darryl Slater is reporting that the New Your Jets have parted ways with back-up quarterback Matt Flynn and appear to be ready to move forward with Josh Johnson with their second-string quarterback for the time being. Matt Flynn tweets a farewell to the #Jets, who appear to have opted for Josh […]

Click here to read the full story...

This is surprising to anyone? The Jets were not going to guarantee either salary for the entire season, so they will piay one game with Petty and then bring back one of these guys depending on Geno's status.

Don't think Flynn's salary would've been guaranteed.  

Hoping this means an earlier return for Geno than previously expected.

Don't think Flynn's salary would've been guaranteed.  

Hoping this means an earlier return for Geno than previously expected.

Yeah, just read that so I stand corrected. Very interesting then, Means one of three things:

1. Geno much closer to coming back

2. They are actually confident in Petty as backup

3. Most likely- keeping a fourth QB would cause them to cut a player they really do no want to like Rontez Miles

Yeah, just read that so I stand corrected. Very interesting then, Means one of three things:

3. Most likely- keeping a fourth QB would cause them to cut a player they really do no want to like Rontez Miles

I'm not understanding ... I thought vested veterans salaries ARE guaranteed if they're on week 1 roster. Flynn is a vested veteran. So this definitely could be a cost cutting move, with the plan of bringing him back after week 1. What am I missing here?

I'm not understanding ... I thought vested veterans salaries ARE guaranteed if they're on week 1 roster. Flynn is a vested veteran. So this definitely could be a cost cutting move, with the plan of bringing him back after week 1. What am I missing here?

he has already received termination pay for oakland. can only collect once

Check Cimini's twitter feed.  Has something to do with him accepting "termination pay" or something.  But yeah, because of that, the Jets could have kept Flynn on the roster now and week 1 and his salary would NOT have been guaranteed.  

Check Cimini's twitter feed.  Has something to do with him accepting "termination pay" or something.  But yeah, because of that, the Jets could have kept Flynn on the roster now and week 1 and his salary would NOT have been guaranteed.  

ah, ok, thanks.

this is a pretty surprising move then. Must mean that they really wanted that spot for someone else, and that Geno is pretty close to being available. If Geno was going to be out another 4 to 6 weeks, I would think the Jets would have kept a backup. They must figure they'll only need to roll the dice for a couple of weeks, and it's not worth losing a player they really like to keep an insurance policy for that short a time.

I think number 3.  these guys are here for 3 games.  A full season player with upside is more valuable.  Maybe they like Blanchard?

Here you go, this should clear it up for you.

Matt Flynn said on his first day of work at One Jets Drive that the Jets had given him "no guarantees" he'd be on the roster for Week 1 of the regular season.

Turns out he did get a small guarantee worked into his contract.

Flynn's deal, which he signed Wednesday, is a one-year, minimum-salary benefit contract, according to an individual who has seen the contract details. That individual spoke to NJ Advance Media on condition of anonymity.

If Flynn, a quarterback, were to remain on the roster for the entire season—an unlikely outcome, since he's likely only on board until Geno Smith's broken jaw heals, likely in the first few weeks of the season—Flynn will earn a base salary of $870,000.

PLUS: What getting punched by a teammate says about Geno Smith

None of that $870,000 is guaranteed. What is guaranteed is a $60,000 signing bonus Flynn agreed to, which means his total compensation (and the Jets' total cash spend) could reach $930,000.

New Jets quarterback Matt Flynn practice highlightsNew York Jets quarterback Matt Flynn (5) at his first day of practice after signing with the Jets. New York Jets hold training camp practice at Florham Park training facility. Florham Park ,NJ 8/19/15 (Amanda Marzullo | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)

Flynn had already collecteda $20,000 signing bonus from the Patriots before they cut him earlier this month.

Because Flynn's deal is an MSB, he would only count $645,000 against the salary cap—again, assuming he's on the roster for the entire season. If he were to get cut before the start of the season, Flynn would only get his $60,000 signing bonus. If he were to get cut at any point during the season, his $870,000 in base pay would be pro-rated based on the number of weeks he's on the roster.

And if Flynn were to be released after Week 1, he would be ineligible for termination pay, since he already collected it after the Raiders cut him two years ago. Players are only eligible to receive termination pay one time.

Flynn's deal also includes as split salary of $438,000, which is what he would receive if he were to land injured reserve.

Flynn has a hamstring injury and is not expected to be a full practice participant until sometime next week, at the earliest. He is also not expected to play in Friday night's preseason game against the Falcons.

LINK

This is excellent roster management by the front office. There is no need to take up a roster spot for Flynn or Johnson.

Geno will be back in few weeks. Petty can fill in as a back up in the case of a mid game emergency. If Fitzpatrick goes down and the Jets need a back up starter in the first few weeks of the season, Flynn or Johnson are just a phone call away and are already somewhat familiar with the system and players.

Flynn was on his way to making this team then threw one of the most horrible passes ive ever seen and got picked at the goaline.  A 6 year vet who would make that throw is hopeless.  

they worked out that other GB backup yesterday, maybe he's going to be the backup.  And would have to wait for week 2 to sign without a guaranteed deal. 

Flynn was on his way to making this team then threw one of the most horrible passes ive ever seen and got picked at the goaline.  A 6 year vet who would make that throw is hopeless.  

im assuming the passes on your horrible list that are above flynn's mostly belong to geno smith??

Archived