Jets Promote OL To Active Roster Sign LB To Practice Squad

jetsrule128

If Ivory isn't 100%, our offense will be handicapped again. I was really hoping Ridley would be able to play and show us something, ANYTHING!

Unfortunately, I don't think Ivory will be 100% at all this year, the hammy injury has been lingering since the beginning of the year and just seems to keep rearing its ugly head.  Getting another RB who can carry some of the load would be a huge help but this is just an injury Ivory and the Jets may have to manage all season.

That doesn't make me feel GREAT about Mangold's status but I'm also going to pump the breaks on my panicking for once.  

I didn't feel so bad about it, but that is because I am very old.  It was always pretty normal to add a guy to play the same position as an injured player.  If nothing else, just to take the practice reps.  The problem with that theory is the Johnson was already on the practice squad and practicing with the team, so it is not just for practice, they want Johnson active - or at least they are concerned about having him scooped up in the event Mangold can't go. 

Guess this means Riddley isn't ready to come back yet

I don't think it matters.  I am pretty sure that Ridley has been practicing with the team, so there is no benefit to adding him to the active roster until the last possible moment.

if Nick mangold can't go they will lose this game. Flat out. Do not pass go. Do not collect 200$. 

Remember Colin Baxter? he got his debut in the black hole too. 

I wouldn't go that far.  At least this time we have has a developmental guy in camp learning the position for some time.  with Baxter, Robert Turner got hurt, Tanny neglected to get a backup and when Mangold got hurt we had to pick Baxter off a psquad and then start him about 3 days later with predictable results.  Also our present Qb has been getting rod of the ball quick unlike some of our previous guys that liked to hang on to it until they get strip sacked.

I wouldn't go that far.  At least this time we have has a developmental guy in camp learning the position for some time.  with Baxter, Robert Turner got hurt, Tanny neglected to get a backup and when Mangold got hurt we had to pick Baxter off a psquad and then start him about 3 days later with predictable results.  Also our present Qb has been getting rod of the ball quick unlike some of our previous guys that liked to hang on to it until they get strip sacked.

The 2015 Jets also don't have a backup. They have Dozier who is a converted tackle/guard and Johnson who is similar. Dalton Freeman was the natural center and he's still a street free agent. 

Mangold calls the blocking, there's no way Wesley or Dakota can do the same. It would fall to Willie Colon and it would be a problem. 

The 2015 Jets also don't have a backup. They have Dozier who is a converted tackle/guard and Johnson who is similar. Dalton Freeman was the natural center and he's still a street free agent. 

Mangold calls the blocking, there's no way Wesley or Dakota can do the same. It would fall to Willie Colon and it would be a problem. 

Didn't Colon snap a little bit?   would probably rather have Brick-Carpenter-Colon-WInters-Giacomini than Brick-Carpenter-Dozier-Colon-Giacomini.  I thought it was odd that they never tried Colon there, but they were probably hoping to cut him.  He is one of those guys that is either starting or gone.  They tried everybody there  including Winters, but I don't think they liked him.

Didn't Colon snap a little bit?   

Colon got his start in the league at right tackle, and then moved to guard. He's never snapped. 

I know how unpopular it is to predict a Jets loss. There's no one who wants to hear it before, and no one remembers it after. 

But it is what it is, without Mangold they will not win. 

Dozier has been working at the spot under this offense since camp.  Hey it's not ideal but we are far better off than the Baxter debacle.  It will hurt no doubt but if other teams can deal with scrub olines so can we.  The Pats just beat us with scrubs with grappling hooks for hands.

Colon got his start in the league at right tackle, and then moved to guard. He's never snapped. 

I know how unpopular it is to predict a Jets loss. There's no one who wants to hear it before, and no one remembers it after. 

I know he never "was a center," but I thought when he came over that I had read that the Steelers had practiced him there.

The truth is Mangold is that important to the Jets, it isn't you just saying it the Jets players themselves have said the same thing. 

So you are right the Jets without Mangold have a much greater chance of losing, those are just the facts..... 

I know he never "was a center," but I thought when he came over that I had read that the Steelers had practiced him there.

Looking at his bio from Vanderbilt he was a versatile player who started at center as a freshman/soph before they eventually moved him out to guard/tackle. It's better than nothing. He's not as raw at the position as Dozier. 

if Nick mangold can't go they will lose this game. Flat out. Do not pass go. Do not collect 200$. 

Remember Colin Baxter? he got his debut in the black hole too. 

Wasn't his debut against Baltimore and Haloti Ngata?

Colin Baxter was an undrafted rookie signed that week off GB's practice squad, facing Baltimore when BAL's D was completely in it's prime.  But let's not let facts get in the way of your argument.  One thing we have is solid depth on our line.  Losing Mangold for a game sucks, but it's absolutely nothing like the Colin Baxter scenario. 

One thing we have is solid depth on our line.  Losing Mangold for a game sucks, but it's absolutely nothing like the Colin Baxter scenario. 

As Charlie Brown noted the players said it this week. They don't have a replacement.  And that's coming from the guy who would be calling the blocking schemes in his absence. 

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/10/jets_willie_colon_on_nick_mangold_neck_injury_i_do.html

It's understandable that you don't like the message but don't shoot the messenger. 

Baxter came from the Chargers.  I think you are confusing him with Schlauderaff who was the Packers 6th rounder that they traded for on the same day  - cut down day 2011.  Baxter took over for Mangold at the end of week 2, and then started against the Raiders like Bit said.  They pulled him when he was getting abused by the Ravens the following week and cut him.  They went with Slauson at C and Mangold came back the next week.  The 8-8 Jets were 0-2 without Mangold.

The 8-8 Jets were 0-2 without Mangold.

Nick Mangold has only missed three games in his career. the third was last years Miami win, Dalton Freeman was the center. They are 1-2 without Mangold all time.  

Part of my concern is where they are playing. If it was in front of an empty Sun life stadium in Miami that's one thing. To get your first start in the black hole, with a playoff relevant Raiders? That's a bad situation. Especially with the Jets being 7-15-1 in that stadium all time. 

As Charlie Brown noted the players said it this week. They don't have a replacement.  And that's coming from the guy who would be calling the blocking schemes in his absence. 

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/10/jets_willie_colon_on_nick_mangold_neck_injury_i_do.html

It's understandable that you don't like the message but don't shoot the messenger. 

Mangold is a borderline hall of famer, of course they don't have a replacement. What I was questioning was your ridiculous Colin Baxter analogy. Baxter was an undrafted rookie FA signed off GBs practice squad 3 days before the game to start in a nationally televised game against one of the most ferocious defenses in recent history. Again, your analogy is atrocious. There's a very good chance the guy we moved up off the practice squad doesn't even play in this game and we have either Dozier (who has been with the team for over a year) or someone else on the current line assumes snapping duties. You also woefully forget that taking snaps from Baxter was a guy who also was very wet behind the ears in calling out protections himself. I only shoot the messenger when the messenger is delivering a terribly inaccurate message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mangold is a borderline hall of famer, of course they don't have a replacement. What I was questioning was your ridiculous Colin Baxter analogy. Baxter was an undrafted rookie FA signed off GBs practice squad 3 days before the game to start in a nationally televised game against one of the most ferocious defenses in recent history. Again, your analogy is atrocious. There's a very good chance the guy we moved up off the practice squad doesn't even play in this game and we have either Dozier (who has been with the team for over a year) or someone else on the current line assumes snapping duties. You also woefully forget that taking snaps from Baxter was a guy who also was very wet behind the ears in calling out protections himself. I only shoot the messenger when the messenger is delivering a terribly inaccurate message.

Strange to call out Bit on accuracy when the bold hasn't gotten more true.  Baxter was an UDFA, but he didn't come from the Packers, he wasn't signed 3 days before any game and his first start was not against the Ravens.  Other than that you are perfect. 

Baxter came from the Chargers.  I think you are confusing him with Schlauderaff who was the Packers 6th rounder that they traded for on the same day  - cut down day 2011.  Baxter took over for Mangold at the end of week 2, and then started against the Raiders like Bit said.  They pulled him when he was getting abused by the Ravens the following week and cut him.  They went with Slauson at C and Mangold came back the next week.  The 8-8 Jets were 0-2 without Mangold.

Sure Dozier was with the team last year, but he NEVER saw the field.  Zero snaps.  I am not sure that he was ever even active.  This year he has seen 13 snaps.  4 on offense. 

Strange to call out Bit on accuracy when the bold hasn't gotten more true.  Baxter was an UDFA, but he didn't come from the Packers, he wasn't signed 3 days before any game and his first start was not against the Ravens.  Other than that you are perfect. 

Sure Dozier was with the team last year, but he NEVER saw the field.  Zero snaps.  I am not sure that he was ever even active.  This year he has seen 13 snaps.  4 on offense. 

You're right, my apologies.  He was an undrafted rookie from the Chargers, signed 14 days before his first start.  His first start was against the Ravens (not in the black hole as Bitonti mentioned).  Dozier was a 4th round draft pick with a year of seasoning with an NFL squad.  Obviously not a perfect scenario, but you can't possibly sit there and accept an analogy using Baxter as his comparison.  The venue is different, the level of experience and quality of the player is different, the level of the defense we're playing is vastly different, and the experience of the QB to help call out assignments is vastly different.  It's a terrible analogy, and maybe because Bitonti considers himself an expert of sorts I hold him to a higher standard. 

Look we may very well lost this game.  OAK is an improved team and we're playing in their home.  But it's not going to be anything like the disaster scenario that happened with Colin Friggin Baxter facing Haloti Ngata and Ray Lewis behind him.  Stop already.

You're right, my apologies.  He was an undrafted rookie from the Chargers, signed 14 days before his first start.  His first start was against the Ravens (not in the black hole as Bitonti mentioned).  Dozier was a 4th round draft pick with a year of seasoning with an NFL squad.  Obviously not a perfect scenario, but you can't possibly sit there and accept an analogy using Baxter as his comparison.  The venue is different, the level of experience and quality of the player is different, the level of the defense we're playing is vastly different, and the experience of the QB to help call out assignments is vastly different.  It's a terrible analogy, and maybe because Bitonti considers himself an expert of sorts I hold him to a higher standard. 

Look we may very well lost this game.  OAK is an improved team and we're playing in their home.  But it's not going to be anything like the disaster scenario that happened with Colin Friggin Baxter facing Haloti Ngata and Ray Lewis behind him.  Stop already.

His first start was against the Raiders.  He took over for Mangold during the romp against the Jags.  He then started the losses against the Raiders and Ravens.  He got benched when Ngata was abusing him and Slauson took over.

I'm not really disputing  your points about Fitzpatrick, but Dozier is such a question mark at C that they called Johnson up from the practice squad.  Johnson is a waiver wire pickup himself with little experience.  Maybe that is just to backup Dozier, but we don't know yet.  FWIW, they scored 24 with Baxter in the black hole and put up more points against Baltimore than Sanchez did the year before in the Meadowlands.  That is even accounting for the pick six by Harris.  Of course, Baxter may have been accountable for some of the 21 points the Ravens put up on D with fumble returns and a pick 6. 

His first start was against the Raiders.  He took over for Mangold during the romp against the Jags.  He then started the losses against the Raiders and Ravens.  He got benched when Ngata was abusing him and Slauson took over.

I'm not really disputing  your points about Fitzpatrick, but Dozier is such a question mark at C that they called Johnson up from the practice squad.  Johnson is a waiver wire pickup himself with little experience.  Maybe that is just to backup Dozier, but we don't know yet.  FWIW, they scored 24 with Baxter in the black hole and put up more points against Baltimore than Sanchez did the year before in the Meadowlands.  That is even accounting for the pick six by Harris.  Of course, Baxter may have been accountable for some of the 21 points the Ravens put up on D with fumble returns and a pick 6. 

I do not recall him playing vs OAK.  If he did so be it, but I definitely don't recall him being blown up in OAK or being the root of the problems.  I do vividly recall him being decimated in BAL, and while he may not have been the only issue in the game he was god awful enough to get yanked.  That was the game where he was a major impact.  OAK has nothing even close to resembling that BAL D, the scenario is night and day.  A 4th round draft pick coming in during his second season is not terribly unheard of around the league.  These things happen, they don't blow up the whole team and become direct causes for losses.  It's just not even close to the same situation.   

I do not recall him playing vs OAK.  If he did so be it, but I definitely don't recall him being blown up in OAK or being the root of the problems.  I do vividly recall him being decimated in BAL, and while he may not have been the only issue in the game he was god awful enough to get yanked.  That was the game where he was a major impact.  OAK has nothing even close to resembling that BAL D, the scenario is night and day.  A 4th round draft pick coming in during his second season is not terribly unheard of around the league.  These things happen, they don't blow up the whole team and become direct causes for losses.  It's just not even close to the same situation.   

Center with zero experience getting their first playing time on the road in Oakland against a .500 team.  Not saying that it is identical, but it isn't exactly night and day.

FWIW, I am very concerned about Dozier.  This staff seemed to think anybody can play center.  Dozier may have been a 4th round pick, but he was from a tiny FCS school and had zero experience snapping the football prior to camp this year.   There also is the simple fact that he didn't get a sniff at G last season despite the cluster**** that was the Winters-Aboushi competition.  This year they were obviously looking to replace Colon (they said they were not interesting in signing him when FA started) but this kid barely got a sniff, running behind Qvale.  They held on to him, so they must like something, but he doesn't seem to high up their list.

Center with zero experience getting their first playing time on the road in Oakland against a .500 team.  Not saying that it is identical, but it isn't exactly night and day.

FWIW, I am very concerned about Dozier.  This staff seemed to think anybody can play center.  Dozier may have been a 4th round pick, but he was from a tiny FCS school and had zero experience snapping the football prior to camp this year.   There also is the simple fact that he didn't get a sniff at G last season despite the cluster**** that was the Winters-Aboushi competition.  This year they were obviously looking to replace Colon (they said they were not interesting in signing him when FA started) but this kid barely got a sniff, running behind Qvale.  They held on to him, so they must like something, but he doesn't seem to high up their list.

I'm still willing to see.  Colin Baxter was an undersized and extremely unprepared rookie that was not even remotely NFL ready.  I'm willing to bank on the fact that a guy with Dozier's side and nearly a year and a half of NFL development going against a pretty soft Raider defense is not going to yield those type of results.  Baxter was getting blown up on every single play against BAL.  Sanchez had zero shot to get anything off, he was getting demolished.  Lineman go down, that's part of the NFL.  We've been extremely fortuitous with Brick and Mangold, but it happens and teams adjust.  Most teams expend their backup slots on guys who can play multiple positions, including center.  I don't expect Dozier to be Mangold out there, but I think he'll be good enough. 

I'm still willing to see.  Colin Baxter was an undersized and extremely unprepared rookie that was not even remotely NFL ready.  I'm willing to bank on the fact that a guy with Dozier's side and nearly a year and a half of NFL development going against a pretty soft Raider defense is not going to yield those type of results.  Baxter was getting blown up on every single play against BAL.  Sanchez had zero shot to get anything off, he was getting demolished.  Lineman go down, that's part of the NFL.  We've been extremely fortuitous with Brick and Mangold, but it happens and teams adjust.  Most teams expend their backup slots on guys who can play multiple positions, including center.  I don't expect Dozier to be Mangold out there, but I think he'll be good enough. 

I don't think it matters if we are willing to see.  We are probably going to see it anyway!

+1 Anyone notice how our vaunted Defense did squat against some patch work O-line's this season and we are crying about Mangold just 1 player being out??  

+1 Anyone notice how our vaunted Defense did squat against some patch work O-line's this season and we are crying about Mangold just 1 player being out??  

This is SO true,lol. We lose one Olineman & everything falls apart, we play teams that have 3 guys out & we get 1 sack. These big guys in the middle, Mo, Shel, Leo mean nothing if you don't have edge rushers or really fast tacking LBs to clean up. 

Archived