OC Chan Gailey.. re our 4 QB's ~ ~ ~

kelly

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And that's a very good reason to hang onto him.  QB's are the best assets in this league, and if just one of the 31 teams out there with QB issues thinks he can be salvaged, it's worth seeing if we can get even a 5th rounder or so out of him.  Maybe Geno will start 1 game this year (for whatever reason), pull a Matt Flynn and get signed elsewhere to a big contract.

I've heard the comp pick or trade pick notion advanced before but I'm just not sure we'd get more than a 7 for him either in trade 2017 or comp in 2018 and with our TC depth I'm not sure he's worth that. 

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets head coach Todd Bowles indicated rookie quarterback Christian Hackenberg is likely to see playing time in Friday night's preseason game.

On if he would like to get Christian Hackenberg reps on Friday

That’s the plan. We’ll see how it works out.

Hackenberg did not play in the preseason opener against Jacksonville.

One drawback of having four quarterbacks is the limited amount of reps to go around. Hackenberg needs development, and the preseason is the only chance he will likely get this season to play in a game situation. The Jets need to get Ryan Fitzpatrick prepared tostart, Geno Smith prepared to be the backup, and find reps for Bryce Petty who also needs development. It isn't easy. It has also shown in practice where there haven't been many reps to go to Hackenberg. (And I say this as somebody in favor of keeping four.)

We will have to see how many series Hackenberg gets.

>      http://www.ganggreennation.com/2016/8/17/12527696/christian-hackenberg-likely-to-play-against-washington

Christian Hackenberg may or may not play in Friday night’s Jets preseason game against the Redskins in Maryland.

Jets coach Todd Bowles, who seems as enthusiastic about revealing his preseason quarterback rotation as he is about giving out his ATM pin number, will not say for sure.After Wednesday’s practice, when he was asked if he “hopes’’ to play Hackenberg against Washington, Bowles said, “That’s the plan.’’That, too, was said to be the plan for last Thursday’s preseason opener against the Jaguars, and the Jets second-round draft pick did not play.

This is in no way to suggest Hackenberg should be groomed right now to take over for starter Ryan Fitzpatrick. Nor is it a suggestion he should be rushed into anything he’s not ready for.But playing a series or two late in preseason games can be a valuable learning experience for him because it will give him at least a little bit of a sense for the speed of the pro game.It can be a valuable teaching and evaluation tool for offensive coordinator Chan Gailey and his offensive staff to measure where Hackenberg is in his development.

One player who strongly believes Hackenberg would benefit greatly from playing Friday is Fitzpatrick, the man whose job the Jets hope he will take, possibly as soon as next year.“It’s always valuable for all quarterbacks to get out there in game situations,’’ Fitzpatrick said. “You can only learn so much in the classroom. He’ll learn a lot more getting out there on the field and getting some reps.’’

Hackenberg, who’s quietly dying to play, is remaining patient, trusting his coaches with their plan for his development.

“Yeah, you’re going to be jacked up, but I think I’m more excited to see how, once I settle in, everything goes and try to be the most prepared I can for that moment,’’ Hackenberg told The Post.“No matter how much he feels comfortable in the classroom and in practice, it’ll still be crazy for him out there,’’ Fitzpatrick said.Right now, Hackenberg is merely a concept to anxious Jets fans, a label on the outside of an unopened package.

“Franchise Quarterback.’’ Or “Quarterback of the Future.’’ Pick your label.

No one — not Hackenberg, not Bowles, not general manager Mike Maccagnan (who placed his reputation as a terrific talent evaluator on the line with his commitment to the draft pick), not a single Jets fan — knows whether the product will live up to that label.“I just try to tune [the expectations] out, stay within the building, stay with what the coaches expect of me,’’ he said. “I know what I can do, what I expect of myself and teammates expect of me.’’

Part of that process is soaking in everything he can from Fitzpatrick, benefit from the 12 years Fitzpatrick has in the NFL and his willingness to impart his wisdom on his rookie understudy.“Fitz is an awesome resource to have,’’ Hackenberg said. “He’s a guy who’s had a lot of success and a lot of failures, he’s had this up-and-down career and he’s got a lot of perspective. He’s been awesome. He played for Bill [O’Brien, the former Penn State and current Texans coach], too, so we have that connection. We can talk a little bit of the same language; we’re kind of wired the same way.’’

They may be wired the same way, but Hackenberg was physically built much differently than his mentor.

“If you’re creating a quarterback on ‘Madden,’ with the height and the size and the arm strength,’’ it’s a description of the 6-foot-4, 228-pound Hackenberg, Fitzpatrick said.“He is a little more advanced mentally than most quarterbacks coming in,’’ Fitzpatrick said. “It’s tough for him right now. He’s always been the top dog everywhere he’s been. So this is a new role for him, to be here and put in a situation where he’s not getting many reps.“He’s got a step back and learn. He’s got to swallow his pride and work his tail off, focus on becoming a better Christian Hackenberg every single day, whether in the classroom or pre-practice or during practice.’’

Or in games. Beginning Friday night against the Redskins. Play the kid, Todd.

>      http://nypost.com/2016/08/18/whats-the-holdup-jets-need-to-take-real-look-at-hackenberg/

On 8/11/2016 at 5:47 PM, Jetsplayer21 said:

It's a tough call.. You can't cut smith, who may end being the best qb out of the 4.. Fitzpatrick is not good enough not to have a dependable backup with real experience  ready to go.. Petty hasn't shown enough.. He is either cut, to practice squad or we keep 4..

what other option other than IR is there

The New York Jets play their second preseason game Friday night against theWashington Redskins at FedEx Field -- a 7:30 p.m. ET kickoff. Things you need to know about the Jets:

Top storyline: The quarterbacks, of course, but we're not talking about the starting position. That belongs to Ryan Fitzpatrick, who is a Seinfeld fan. The battle for the second, third and, possibly, fourth spots have people across the league buzzing. Some NFL insiders are incredulous when told the Jets might keep four. This is an important game for Bryce Petty, who is trending toward a roster spot. If he can build on last week's encouraging outing, he'd probably eliminate any questions about his status. Coach Todd Bowles should give Petty a series with the starters to make a better evaluation.

Must-watch newcomer: Bowles wouldn't reveal his quarterback rotation, except to say "the plan" is to play rookie Christian Hackenberg. This would be the first glimpse of the potential quarterback of the future in a game setting. The Jets are taking a deliberate approach with his development, so this is merely an early test to gauge how much he has absorbed. He's had accuracy issues in practice, especially on short throws.

rest of above article  :  

>    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62258/rookie-qb-christian-hackenberg-could-make-jets-debut-against-redskins

Christian Hackenbergicon-article-link.gif  is a professional freshman, studying each day in the film room and taking more reps daily as training camp rolls on. He hasn’t been tested in  game  action yet, but the Jets’ second-round pick could make his preseason debut Friday night against Washington at FedExField.“I want to  play  and help this team win  — that’s what everyone wants to do,” he said before head coach Todd Bowles told the media the plan was to get Hackenberg some action against the Redskins. “But at the same time, there are different roles that each guy has to play on the team. For me right now, with what Coach expects out of me, I’m doing everything I need to do to hopefully get that opportunity down the road and then take advantage of it.”

A First For Me

Hackenberg is certainly in foreign territory, listed No. 4 on the QB depth chart. He did not play a snap against the Jacksonville Jaguars and has received the fewest reps of any signal caller on the roster this summer. But Hackenberg, always the BMOC at Penn State after arriving as the No.1 high school recruit in the country, embraces his situation. While he works with urgency, he knows it will take time to digest offensive coordinator Chan Gailey’s system.“I think they really want to see me master it before I have to go out and do something. I think that’s really cool because that’s a first for me,” he said. “You know what I mean? My freshman year I got crammed into a study session of a system in  college  and then the following year I had to learn one in basically an offseason as well. Being able to really just take my time, digest it, and not be forced to go through a crash course with it is pretty cool.”

During practices this week, Hackenberg led the scout team offense against the first unit defense. Little steps, but you can’t measure more reps.

“You are looking at a play on paper and you have to translate it to the defense that’s coming right there, so it’s a really cool exercise for me,” he said. “And I think it will definitely help when it comes to our offensive game plan and other teams’ defenses. I think it’s a good tool for me and I’m really embracing it.”

“We’ve done some carded stuff on scout team where he has been able to get out there and throw it a little bit, so he’s getting a few more reps,” added starting QB  Ryan Fitzpatrickicon-article-link.gif . “But the biggest thing with him right now is he has to put the time in. He’s got to swallow his pride and just work his tail off. Focus on becoming on becoming a better Christian Hackenberg every single day.”

The Graduate Assistant 

Fitzpatrick, who set a franchise record with 31 TD passes in 2015 while nearly passing for 4,000 yards, is entering his 12th NFL season and 5th with Gailey. In a sense, Fitzpatrick has become Hackenberg’s graduate assistant.“He doesn’t know me, but for three and a half weeks now he’s been really receptive. We went out golfing the other day,” Hackenberg said. “He pulls me in the film room. If I’m sitting in there, he will come in there and sit down with me and just  start  asking me some  questions , drilling me on some things and talking about some things. It’s really cool to have a figure like that in the room. I think for all of us, but definitely personally for me.”

The two passers have a well-documented common connection in Bill O’Brien. Under O’Brien, Hackenberg threw for 2,955 yards and 20 touchdowns his freshman season. Then a year later with O’Brien in Houston, Fitzpatrick completed 63.1% of his passes with 17 TD and 8 INT over the course of 12 games.“It’s very tough to come out of college and to step in and play this game, but I will say that he is a little more advanced mentally than most quarterbacks coming in,” Fitzpatrick said of the rookie. “And I think a lot of that comes from that one year he got to spend with Bill O’Brien.”

“Yeah that definitely is something that both he (Fitzpatrick) and I can talk about, but I think it was invaluable for me,” added Hackenberg. “He came right to Penn State after coaching Tom Brady so that’s really the standard he held every guy to. He held Matt McGloin to it in the year he had in 2012 and then he held me to it in 2013,  so I really didn’t know any better. I think just being lucky enough to have the base of knowledge that he taught me the game in a very simplistic, yet complex way.”

Only Just Begun

A football  junkie, Hackenberg is currently adapting to his third offensive system in four years. After starting 38 games at Penn State and finishing as the school’s leader in passing yards (8,457) and passing touchdowns (48), the 6’4’, 228-pounder knows Gailey will demand quick, sound decisions.“It's very multiple,” he said of the Jets’ attack. “He definitely wants to get the ball out quick and get our playmakers out in space. To be a quarterback in here, you have to be a smart guy and know where to go with the ball before its snapped, really take some pressure of the offensive line and be able to identify things”

The identifying could come as soon as Friday evening.

“I think it’s always valuable for all quarterbacks in those game-like situations to get out there,” Fitzpatrick said. “And you’re going to learn a lot more doing that. You can only learn so much in the classroom I guess, so he’ll learn a lot more getting out there on the field and getting some reps.”It's been a quick four months for Hackenberg. After participating in OTAs and minicamps plus three weeks of training camp, his first of many NFL tests may be here.

“I haven’t really had much time to be able to sit down and think about it,” he said. “It’s obviously a dream come true.  I think its super cool to be here. In a sense you’ve arrived, but in a sense you’ve only just begun.”

>      http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Patient-Hackenberg-Embraces-His-Role/226d346d-5dd7-451a-843c-6240d8d26aee

Todd Bowles was in no mood Friday night to analyze the various layers of his quarterback depth chart. He deferred, saying he needs to watch the film. Reading between the cliches, it sounds like he won't dismiss theGeno Smith-Bryce Petty situation as quickly as he did last week.

At the time, the New York Jets' coach stated clearly that Smith was his No. 2 quarterback, Petty the No. 3. Reminded of that after the 22-18 loss to the Washington Redskins, Bowles played the semantics game.

"I didn't say there wasn't any competition," Bowles told reporters. "I said, 'Right now, Geno is 2 and Bryce is 3.'"Bowles didn't want to say if that could change. He was asked if Petty could "push" Smith for the job."Anybody can push anybody for any job," he said. "We'll look at the film and we'll evaluate it. It's not just throws you have to look at. You have to look at the body of work and everything that happened in the game."

Here's what happened :

Smith, playing behind the second-team line, was terrible. He completed six of 13 passes for 47 yards and an interception, which the Redskins quickly converted into a touchdown. Petty got off to a sluggish start, as he was nearly intercepted, but he rallied and finished with 242 yards and two touchdowns on 16-for-26 efficiency. He threw a 42-yard touchdown pass to Robby Anderson, maintaining his poise as he was blasted by a speeding pass-rusher.

"He made some mistakes, he made some good throws," Bowles said. "But the film will tell."

Trending upward, Petty built on last week's encouraging, though flawed performance. He has a long way to go -- he held the ball too long at times -- but you can see significant improvement over last year. You don't want to put too much emphasis on preseason games because he's facing vanilla defenses and bottom-of-the-roster personnel, but you can see he brought energy to the offense.

Bowles was asked if the No. 2 job is open.

"Every position is open," he said, resorting to coach-speak again.

Petty acknowledged the obvious, saying he has made massive strides since his rookie year.

"Definitely, I feel comfortable with the offense," he told ESPN New York radio after the game. "I grew a lot last year."Smith, who ended his weeklong media silence, owned up to his interception. It was a poor decision; throwing into triple coverage never is a good decision."Obviously, it's something I've got to clean up, but I think it's an easy fix -- not to make that throw, not to make a hero throw," he said in an interview with ESPN New York radio. "I just have to take what they give me on that play."

Bowles loathes quarterback turnovers, but he didn't chide Smith for his bad decision. He said, you guessed it, he has to watch the film.Clearly, Bowles can smell a potential quarterback controversy and was doing his best to douse the flames. He didn't even want to talk about why he chose not to play Christian Hackenberg. During the run-up to the game, he said "the plan" was to play the rookie.

"Coach's decision," he said, repeating that three times.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62288/jets-coach-todd-bowles-on-no-2-qb-situation-every-position-is-open

Was comedian Larry David calling plays for the New York Jets on Friday night? They looked pretty, pretty bad, especially with Ryan Fitzpatrickand Geno Smith at quarterback. They had no pulse until Bryce Pettyentered the game.

Yes, it's time to re-examine the quarterback depth chart.

Petty was the story of the Jets' 22-18 loss to the Washington Redskins at FedEx Field, as he threw two touchdown passes and rallied his team to 16 unanswered points before the defense blew it in the final seconds. Coach Todd Bowles said last week that Smith is the clear-cut No. 2 quarterback. He should reconsider and give Petty a shot because he deserves it. The kid has moxie; he creates a spark. Anybody can see it.

The second-year quarterback, who no longer has to worry about his roster spot, completed 16 of 26 passes for 242 yards, often under heavy pressure behind a backup offensive line. He hasn't done enough to overtake Smith, but it should be an open competition over the final two games.Smith (6-for-13, 47 yards) showed absolutely nothing, throwing a mind-boggling interception into triple coverage. It was Geno being Geno. He also made a mental error, taking an intentional-grounding penalty. The Jets know what they have in Smith; they should invest the time to see what Petty can be.

This much appears certain: Petty has earned a spot on the 53-man roster.

QB depth chart : Fitzpatrick (4-for-9, 35 yards) played only three series and generated only three first downs, failing to cross midfield. Clearly, the highlight of his week occurred on Wednesday, when David -- the "Seinfeld" creator -- visited practice and made Fitzpatrick laugh. Look, we don't want to make too much out of the preseason, but Fitzpatrick is only 7-for-13 with 107 yards and no touchdown passes in two games. Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker have combined for only three receptions. The struggling Smith gave way to Petty, who played the rest of the game. Rookie Christian Hackenberg, whom Bowles had hoped to play, didn't get into the game.

rest of above article : 

>          http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62269/bryce-petty-sparks-jets-geno-smith-flops-no-2-qb-controversy-is-here

A look at the risers and fallers from the New York Jets' 22-18 loss to theWashington Redskins at FedEx Field :

RISERS

Bryce Petty, quarterback : Clearly, this was an audition for Petty, who began training camp as the potential odd-man out in the crowded quarterback room. Coach Todd Bowles gave him the entire second half to show what he can do -- and he delivered. Not only did he prove he deserves to make the 53-man roster, but he played well enough to open a conversation about the No. 2 job. Petty (117.8 passer rating) displayed nice accuracy on his deep passes. On the downside, he misfired on a couple of short throws and took a couple of avoidable sacks. He has a ways to go, but the arrow is pointing up.

rest of above article : 

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62296/stock-watch-jets-rookie-robby-anderson-up-tight-ends-way-down

The Jets played their second preseason game on Friday night, and for the second time rookie quarterback Christian Hackenberg didn’t get on the field.

Jets coach Todd Bowles said on Wednesday that he planned to play Hackenberg, but after the game Bowles declined to get into specifics about why that plan changed.

Coach’s decision,” Bowles said.

Asked to explain why, exactly, he made that decision, Bowles didn’t.

“It was a coach’s decision,” Bowles said.

Bowles did say Hackenberg didn’t do anything to get himself benched.

“No,” Bowles said. “It was just a coach’s decision.”

Ordinarily, when you take a quarterback in the second round of the draft, you want to give him plenty of opportunities for game experience in the preseason. But the Jets have given all the preseason playing time to Ryan Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith andBryce Petty. Petty, who would seem to be the quarterback most in danger of losing his roster spot, made the most of that playing time Friday by completing 16 of 26 passes for 242 yards, with two touchdowns and no interceptions. Smith, whose roster spot could be in jeopardy, completed just six of 13 passes for 47 yards, with no touchdowns and one interception.

Hackenberg probably won’t play next week, either, as the starters usually play for longer in the third preseason game. So expect to see Hackenberg for the first time in preseason Week Four. And then expect to see him exclusively on the sideline once the regular season starts.

>      http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/20/hackenberg-hasnt-played-in-the-preseason-bowles-wont-say-why/

-- Who's the backup ?

Will Geno Smith get cut ? IsBryce Petty for real ? Why isn't Christian Hackenberg playing ?

Everybody is so preoccupied with these quarterback-related questions surrounding the New York Jets (yes, I'm guilty of it, too) that we've ignored the main storyline, the most important purpose of the preseason:

Preparing the starting quarterback for the regular season.

Let's not forget, Ryan Fitzpatrick hasn't played a lot of football over the past few months. He missed the offseason (see: contract dispute) and played only 22 snaps in the first two preseason games. Even though that's not an unusually low number, compared to other starters, it's time to rev the engine and get into regular-season mode.

The Jets will go as far as Fitzpatrick takes them, so let's put aside the secondary quarterback matters and focus on No. 1.Clearly, the starting offense has a ways to go. It generated exactly zero points in three possessions last Friday night against the Washington Redskins. If the objective was to keep it vanilla and lull future opponents into a false sense of confidence, Fitzpatrick & Co. succeeded."It wasn’t as pretty as we would have liked it to be," said Fitzpatrick, who has attempted only 13 passes [seven completions] in the preseason. "The good thing is, we still have a little bit of time to iron some things out. The bad thing is, we didn’t play as crisp or as clean as maybe we should have. It was a nice measuring stick for us. We’ve still got some work to do, obviously, and we have to continue to get better every day."

There's no reason to panic, of course. The preseason is relatively meaningless, especially the first two games. You also have to consider the personnel. The Jets have a seasoned group of players on offense, and they know how to pace themselves through the drudgery of a training camp. One of those players, Matt Forte (hamstring), still hasn't appeared in a game. It's hard to evaluate the offense without Forte, a key piece in the puzzle.After using the first two games for player-evaluation purposes, the Jets will change gears this week for the New York Giants. The starters probably will play into the second half, and there could be a cameo appearance by Forte, whose practice load has increased in recent days.

"It’s a little bit more of a dress rehearsal in terms of what we want to do and be during the regular season," Fitzpatrick said. "We know we’re going to get more time out there, so we’d like to get into a better rhythm and get some first downs, get some drives going and just put some points on the board. Same thing with the no injuries: You don’t want them in the preseason. And some touchdowns and no turnovers, that would be awesome."

>  http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62361/forget-the-backups-lets-not-overlook-the-jets-most-important-quarterback

-- The New York Jets resolved their starting-quarterback issue when they re-signed Ryan Fitzpatrick on the eve of training camp, but now there's an emerging question about the No. 2 position.

Coach Todd Bowles sent mixed signals on Sunday, fueling speculation that Geno Smith could lose the position to upstart Bryce Petty, who threw two touchdowns Friday night against the Washington Redskins.Smith went into the second preseason game as the No. 2 quarterback, per Bowles, who outlined his depth chart last week. This time, he declined to get into specifics. He wouldn't say who will relieve Fitzpatrick when they face the New York Giants on Saturday night.

"We've got a plan for the quarterbacks that we're not revealing," he said.

Asked if there are any changes to the depth chart, Bowles replied, "Until we make a change, there won't be. That's any position. When we make a decision at the end of camp, if it changes, it changes. If it doesn't, it doesn't."

Bowles also said, "Right now, they're all playing and we're trying to see who sorts out what."This is a compelling story because the Jets are toying with the idea of keeping four quarterbacks on their opening-day roster, something that hasn't been since the 2013 Washington Redskins.Fitzpatrick and rookie Christian Hackenberg, a second-round pick, are locks to make the 53-man roster. The question is whether they keep Smith, a former starter, and/or Petty, who has no regular-season experience.

Chances are, the Jets will wind up keeping Smith, but Bowles apparently doesn't want to tip his hand.Petty, a fourth-round pick in 2015, has improved considerably since his rookie year. In two preseason games, he has completed 23 of 40 passes for 335 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions -- a 101.6 passer rating. But he has played against mostly third-string defenses."It's an audition for anybody watching that tape, but first and foremost it's for the Jets because I want to be here," Petty said. "Each time I come out here, it's to put on a show for them."

Smith is 14 of 27, with 126 yards, one touchdown and one interception -- a 61.7 passer rating. On Sunday, he led a few long drives in practices and ended up with 27 reps to Petty's 12. Bowles said the extra workload for Smith wasn't by design.On Friday night, Smith threw into triple coverage and was intercepted, while Petty passed for 242 yards in the second half after replacing Smith. Still, Bowles was measured with his praise.

"He'd like to have some throws back," Bowles said of Petty. "He made some mistakes. He made some good throws, he made some bad throws, too. I think all of them did. We've got to get better in that category all the way around."

>         http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17361521/new-york-jets-coach-todd-bowles-declines-say-geno-smith-no-2-depth-chart

A look at what's happening around the New York Jets :

1. Four ! It might seem crazy to some, but the Jets are trending toward keeping four quarterbacks on the 53-man roster. Some perspective: In 2015, nearly half the teams (15) opened the season with only two quarterbacks, while 17 (including the Jets) began with three on the roster, according to ESPN Stats & Information. The most recent team to carry four was the 2013 Washington Redskins.

Recent history shows that a four-man depth chart doesn't equate to team success or help the development of young passers. According to Elias, six teams in the past 10 years opened with four quarterbacks, and only two of them made the playoffs: the 2007 Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the 2009 Jets.Those six teams probably thought they were outsmarting everybody by keeping four, figuring it was a way to address short- and long-term needs, but guess what? Of the 18 backups on those six depth charts, only one developed into a legitimate starter: the Redskins' Kirk Cousins.

The most famous example occurred in 2000, when the New England Patriots carried Drew Bledsoe, John Friesz, Michael Bishop and a sixth-round pick named Tom Brady. The team went 5-11, but the decision paid off in the long run, obviously. Don't put too much stock in that situation, though. Brady was a million-to-1 shot, and he went from afterthought to icon.

That's fantasy football. History tells us that the reality is closer to the old John Madden axiom. Paraphrasing Madden: If you have too many quarterbacks, you don't have any.

2. Masking other problems : The Jets must be a pretty good team if the hottest preseason issue is the backup quarterback.

3. Geno speaks : Geno Smith ended his weeklong media silence on Friday, when he spoke to reporters after the loss to the Redskins. He apparently was upset by stories that observed the one-year anniversary of the IK Enemkpali incident (Aug. 11). A couple days later, he tweeted, "If they don't have a story these days, they'll make one."

Smith's response was surprising because the stories actually portrayed him in a positive light; they provided him a forum to tell the world how the jaw-breaking punch changed his perspective on football and life. Pouting about media coverage certainly doesn't support his case."Geno’s success will be determined by how much he grows off the field. That’s it," Brandon Marshall told me. "It has nothing to do with his talent or if he’s smart enough. It’s just him continuing to grow at the rate he is, and that’s all it is for Geno."

Like him or not, Smith is here to stay -- for one more season, anyway.

rest of above article : 

>  http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62267/memo-to-jets-the-more-the-merrier-doesnt-apply-to-quarterbacks

Jets rookie quarterback Christian Hackenberg knew there was a good chance he might not play in Friday's second preseason game, at Washington. But this was still an important moment for him and his family, as he suited up in an NFL uniform, 130 miles from where he grew up, in Palmyra, Va. 

So his father, Erick, drove to Landover, Md., to watch the game. And so did a couple of Hackenberg's buddies. Sure enough, Hackenberg did not play, but he got a chance to catch up with his dad after the game."For a dad, and his son is playing in the NFL, I think that's still pretty cool, no matter how you cut the cake," Hackenberg said after Sunday's practice.

Hackenberg, the Jets' second-round draft pick, has unsurprisingly received a small slice of the reps in this training camp, though he has gotten more practice action lately.He didn't play in either of the first two preseason games, and almost certainly won't play in Saturday's Week 3 game against the Giants, because starters play a lot in that game and there won't be time for Hackenberg. 

Hackenberg's unofficial NFL debut probably will come in the preseason finale/all-backups game against the Eagles. Until then, he must continue to practice patience — something he'll need to do throughout his developmental rookie season, when he likely will not play."Everyone wants to play," he said. "But there are some things that are out of your control. At the end of the day, you just need to sit there, lock in, and be as ready as you can. Come in and compete every day, try and get everything out of the experience that I can — and when it is my chance, step in to play." 

Hackenberg didn't redshirt as a freshman at Penn State. And he looks back on that as a valuable experience."I think my college experience was awesome," he said. "I think having to do the things that I had to do at a young age, I think I learned a lot and grew in a lot of ways that I might not have if I had taken the [redshirt] year."But he knows he probably will have to "redshirt" this year in the NFL. He's not used to not playing. He was a three-year starter at Penn State, and then turned pro after his junior year.

"It's obviously different," he said. "That hasn't happened [to me] in a really long time. It's different, but you still have to approach it [as] I'm three snaps away [from playing]. Crazier stuff has happened." He is intent on not changing his mindset of being prepared. "But also understand that there are some things that I'm not going to be able to take advantage of, like I had when I was the starter," he said. "Just take advantage of reps when you get them.

"I'm just on my toes and ready whenever my number is called. I really think that the coaches, they have a plan. I trust in their plan. My job is to do the things that I have control over."I just came in with no expectations. You get more and more comfortable in the environment. I'm just trying to get comfortable each and every day." 

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/08/how_is_jets_christian_hackenberg_staying_patient_w.html#incart_river_index

Don’t bother asking coach Todd Bowles about the Jets’ plan for rookie quarterback Christian Hackenberg, because it’s the equivalent of a state secret.

Two days after the second-round pick from Penn State didn’t play at all for the second preseason game in a row, Bowles was still tight-lipped Sunday about the reasons and Hackenberg’s immediate future.“We’ve got a plan for the quarterbacks that we’re not revealing, and Saturday [against the Giants], we’ll play the guys that we have scheduled to play,” Bowles said.

At least with Hackenberg, it doesn’t need to be this way.

The Jets have four quarterbacks in camp, including a starter in Ryan Fitzpatrick who missed their entire offseason program and a pair of backups in Geno Smith and Bryce Petty who could very well be duking it out for one roster spot.It would be perfectly understandable for the Jets to have Hackenberg take the NFL equivalent of the redshirt year he never got in the Happy Valley pressure cooker.

Even with his second-round status, there are no outsized expectations for Hackenberg like there were at Penn State, where he was one of the most celebrated recruits in the country and pegged as the program’s post-scandal savior. In fact, there are no expectations at all this season.While it might sound odd to say the perennially quarterback-needy Jets have a logjam at the position, it’s true.And that logjam could allow Hackenberg to sit back and quietly reboot at the foot of offensive coordinator Chan Gailey — one of the NFL’s top quarterback whisperers — after two underachieving seasons that sapped Hackenberg’s confidence and made him undraftable in the eyes of a lot of scouts.

Hackenberg himself sounded as if he welcomes the spotlight being on every Jets quarterback but himself.“It’s been a dream come true for me,” Hackenberg said Sunday after a two-hour practice. “To be able to come in and just put my head down and go to work each day has been awesome.”

If you’re hoping to see Hackenberg in an actual game,it seems increasingly likely it won’t be this season.Most teams usually play their starters into the third quarter in the third preseason game, which all but rules out Saturday for Hackenberg. The second half of the Sept. 1 exhibition finale against the Eagles is a possibility unless the Jets coaches haven’t made a decision between Smith and Petty.That would be OK, too. There is no rush whatsoever with Hackenberg, who as a second-rounder and pet project of general manager Mike Maccagnan is in no danger of being cut anytime soon.

So why all the secrecy from Bowles & Co.?

The Jets seemingly won’t even be upfront with Hackenberg himself. That was obvious from Friday’s 22-18 loss to the Redskins in Landover, Md., when Hackenberg felt confident enough about playing to invite his father and several close friends to the game — only for them to watch him ride the pine the entire game.

Outsiders are already drawing conclusions from the Jets’ refusal to use Hackenberg in either of the first two preseason games, hinting the coaching staff or front office is afraid to put Hackenberg’s mental and mechanical shortcomings on public display.“The Jets are finding out Hackenberg can’t play,” former Bears college scouting director Greg Gabriel tweeted Saturday. “Hardly a surprise. #wasted pick.”

Hackenberg hasn’t exactly been lighting it up in practice, either. In one team drill Sunday, he threw five consecutive incomplete passes.In short, Hackenberg has a huge arm but poor mechanics, and he looks lost in a pro-style offense. But the same was being said about Petty this time last season, and now he is pushing Smith for the Jets’ No. 2 job.

A quiet redshirt year could have the same effect on Hackenberg. Why Bowles and the Jets won’t admit as much remains the head-scratcher.

>      http://nypost.com/2016/08/21/why-are-jets-fueling-the-mystery-around-christian-hackenberg/

-- Of the 15 quarterbacks drafted in April, only one hasn't appeared in a preseason game :

Christian Hackenberg, the fourth quarterback selected.

The New York Jets are taking a slow and steady approach with Hackenberg, and there's nothing wrong with that. While it's unusual that he hasn't taken a single snap in a game -- none of his fellow rookies have played fewer than 15 snaps -- it confirms what we suspected when they chose him in the second round:

This will amount to a redshirt year for Hackenberg.

Offensive coordinator Chan Gailey has said it can take up to a year to fix a quarterback's mechanics. The Jets evidently see Hackenberg as a fixer-upper, someone who will benefit from a year on the sideline. He struggled with his accuracy over his final two seasons at Penn State, perhaps because he was sacked 82 times.

Hackenberg apparently expected to play last Friday night against theWashington Redskins because he invited his father and a couple of friends to the game in Landover, Maryland, according to NJ.com. As it turned out, he didn't play. Todd Bowles called it "a coach's decision," a rather cryptic explanation that invited conspiracy theorists to float half-baked suspicions.He almost certainly won't play Saturday against the New York Giants, but he saw an increase in practice reps on Monday. In 15 reps, he completed 6 of 12 passes, including two interceptions. He actually had five more reps than Bryce Petty (2-for-6, one interception). Hackenberg probably will make his debut in the presesaon finale. If not, it'll be time to worry.

A look at the 15 drafted quarterbacks and their preseason snap totals. One note: Six play for teams that have used at least four quarterbacks in the preseason.

>        http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62386/jets-christian-hackenberg-stands-alone-among-rookie-qbs-no-pt

— It was a game of 'Where's Waldo' the first 15 days ofJets training camp. 

As soon as team drills began, reporters attempted to scope out rookie quarterback Christian Hackenberg. Usually, he was standing next to quarterbacks coach Kevin Patullo. Rarely was he on the field. Simply put, the Jets weren't giving Hackenberg more than a handful of reps during the team portion of practice. 

This week, things have changed. On Sunday and Monday, Hackenberg received more reps than he had in any other camp practice.

"It's part of the progression," head coach Todd Bowles said. "You give him more reps in there as time goes by. That's just part of the progression."Hackenberg's playing time has been one of the more talked-about storylines in camp this year. Despite being a second-round pick and the hopeful quarterback of the future, Hackenberg hasn't been playing. Quite literally — He didn't take one snap in either of the Jets' first two preseason games

Does the increase in reps this week indicate Hackenberg could take the field against the Giants Saturday? Eh, maybe not.

Hackenberg's performance on the field has been less than inspiring. On Sunday, he went 2 of 12 and nearly had a pass intercepted by safety Doug Middleton. On Monday, he finished 5 of 11 with two interceptions — both by cornerback Dee Milliner — and one touchdown. Hackenberg hit receiver Charone Peake on a five-yard slant for the score. 

Ugly? Yeah, that's a fair assessment. Damning? Not exactly.

Hackenberg is a project player. He isn't ready to play this year. The Jets knew that when they drafted him. The goal was to have him sit, learn from offensive coordinator Chan Gailey and watch quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. In the offseason, the team would go to work breaking down his poor mechanics to build him back up.Because Hackenberg is worth the time. Every now and again, he'll show why. On Sunday, Hackenberg threw a picture-perfect ball to wideout Eric Decker on a crossing route for 15 yards. Those plays may occur few and far between, but they're there. The coaching staff's job is to find a way to make them more regular, than rare. 

It's just going to take time. Lucky for the Jets, they have it. 

"I think we all see his potential and what he can be," Gailey said in early August. "He has got all the tools, so it's just a matter of him learning what needs to be done here and then going out and doing it on a consistent basis. That's the key is consistency in this league."

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/08/jets_christian_hackenberg_starting_to_get_more_rep.html#incart_river_index

Jets rookie quarterback Christian Hackenberg has yet to to play a snap through two preseason games. He was supposed to play on Friday night, but didn’t.

Why ?

“Coach’s decision,” Todd Bowles, said after the game.

Normally this wouldn’t be a big deal, even with Hackenberg being a second-round pick. But when pressed for more details, Bowles continued to dance around the question.“We’ve got a plan for the quarterbacks that we’re not revealing,” Bowles said. “We’ll play the guys that we have scheduled to play.”

Odds are that the Jets are protecting their prized young quarterback. Throwing an inexperienced rookie into the fire with a backup offensive line isn’t always the best move. The biggest concern is why the team is being so secretive with Hackenberg.

One former Director of College Scouting has a theory.

The Jets are finding out Hackenberg can't play. Hardly a surprise.#wasted pick

Gabriel, who is the former Director of College Scouting for the Bears, has worked as a scout for over 30 years.

Hackenberg was one of the most polarizing players in the 2015 NFL draft and his selection in the second round was met with much skepticism. The Jets obviously like Hackenberg and have big plans for him, but they know he has a long way to go.

Hackenberg has all of the qualities to be a franchise quarterback. He has ideal size, a cannon for an arm and scouts rave about his footballIQ. But his throwing mechanics and footwork leave a lot to be desired. A year sitting on the sidelines following noted quarterback guruChan Gailey and watching Ryan Fitzpatrick will help.

If the Jets would simply give a straight answer as to why Hackenberg hasn’t played, a lot of this speculation would go away.

>      http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2016/08/22/former-nfl-director-of-college-scouting-says-jets-know-hackenberg-cant-play/

1 hour ago, kelly said:
cimini_rich_m.jpg

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

Could this be the order of the Jets' QB depth chart? From front to back: Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg. In case you're wondering, Geno Smith never stretches with the QB group. Odd.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

cdf07133-ee03-4ced-aac3-01c37451e2bf.jpg

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

would like to know where he does stretch.  

Well he's certainly not an NFL-caliber QB, so I guess it makes sense.....

just let Geno Smith go already.

Maybe there is a future in the NFL for the former second-round pick, believed by some to be worthy of the No. 1 selection in the 2013 NFL Draft at the time (he wasn't). Maybe there is an offense out there that suits his skill set and maybe there are some teammates who can lift him above this smog he's currently settled in.

On Sunday, Jets coach Todd Bowles wouldn't say if Smith was still his backup quarterback after a strong push from 2015 fourth-round pick Bryce Petty in last week's preseason game against theRedskins. Petty completed 16 of 26 passes for 242 yards, two touchdowns and an interception while Smith went 6 of 13 for 47 yards and a pick."Right now, they're all playing and we're trying to see who sorts out what," Bowles said, via NJ.com.What about Saturday's all-important third preseason game against the Giants? Will Smith back up starter Ryan Fitzpatrick or will Petty? Given extended time for starters, there might only be time for one.

"To be clear, we have a plan on who we're going to play that we're not going to reveal," Bowles said.

Poor Smith. At this point, if the coaches are still making him "earn it" after he carried everyone through minicamp while they openly pined for Fitzpatrick during the holdout, he might be better off pulling a successful version of Sam Bradford's Philadelphia escape plan. For what it's worth, reporters on the scene Sunday had him taking more reps than Petty, and perhaps this is just an overreaction to a vague comment from a busy coach. Wherever Smith goes, he probably won't be guaranteed a backup job. He's a quarterback with a lifetime completion percentage below 60 and a negative touchdown-to-interception ratio (27-35). But maybe he goes to a place where someone has his back.

We're not blaming Bowles or the Jets for this. Bowles and general manager Mike Maccagnan did not draft Smith and loaded the depth chart with drafted quarterbacks they believe adequately fit the system. But in the NFL, we hear coaches and GMs talk about doing things in the best interest of the team and the player. If Smith isn't going to back up Fitzpatrick, keeping him on the roster is in neither party's interest.

>    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000688768/article/did-geno-smith-lose-new-york-jets-backup-qb-job

-- Geno Smith remains the No. 2 quarterback for theNew York Jets -- for this week, anyway.

Amid a brewing controversy for the backup job, coach Todd Bowles said Wednesday that Smith will be the first quarterback off the bench on Saturday night when the Jets face the New York Giants in their annual preseason game.Ryan Fitzpatrick will start.

Earlier in the week, Bowles hedged on his quarterback plans, fueling speculation that Bryce Petty - impressive in last week's game -- was poised to overtake Smith on the depth chart."[Petty] played a lot last week and the week before," Bowles said in explaining the decision. "We have to get our guys ready to play."

That would seem to indicate Smith is the front-runner to remain as Fitzpatrick's primary backup, but team officials have been measured in their comments about the unusual quarterback situation.The Jets are "perfectly willing to consider" keeping four quarterbacks on the 53-man roster, general manager Mike Maccagnan said in a radio interview this week. The fourth is second-round draft pick Christian Hackenberg, a virtual lock to make the team.

If there's an odd-man out, it would be Smith or Petty, a fourth-round pick in 2015 who has no regular-season experience.

Bowles said he hopes to play Petty against the Giants, but "it's hard to get three quarterbacks in in the second half. I'll try to if everything goes right. In a perfect world, you want it. We really do want to get all of them in a game."

Petty leads the team in preseason snaps (60), followed by Smith (36) and Fitzpatrick (22). Hackenberg probably will make his debut in the final game.Facing a third-string defense, Petty threw two touchdowns last week against theWashington Redskins, while Smith struggled with an interception. That started the so-called controversy.

Smith said nothing has changed."I don't see anything different," he said. "I think [Bowles] has already answered that question."

>      http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17385352/geno-smith-remains-new-york-jets-no-2-quarterback-says-coach-todd-bowles

It's still too early to definitively determine that Bryce Petty would make a better Jets backup quarterback than Geno Smith.But Petty, a second-year pro and former Round 4 draft pick, has done some encouraging things in this training camp. Petty is battling for his roster spot, as the Jets consider whether to retain four quarterbacks on their 53-man roster. 

Jets quarterbacks coach Kevin Patullo likes how Petty has progressed. 

"With him, it's just been kind of everything as a quarterback," Patullo said Wednesday. "You can tell he's growing overall. His whole picture is getting cleaner."You could tell in the spring it was getting cleaner, and then as time goes on, you could just feel it: He's understanding more. His questions are better. What he sees in the film room is better."And you could tell it's just translating to the field a little bit cleaner. He knows there's still stuff he needs to work on. He understands what's good and bad and what he needs to focus on." 

Petty was a raw project, coming out of Baylor's spread offense, when the Jets drafted him. He is showing more polish now.Patullo said Petty's pre-snap recognition of defensive alignments is "getting better. With everything, it's reps. The more you go through it, the better it is." 

Petty played well in Friday's Week 2 preseason game at Washington. It's not clear how much — if at all — he will play Saturday against the Giants. Jets coach Todd Bowles has declined to reveal Saturday's playing time plan for his quarterbacks. Petty said before the Washington game that he needed to trust himself more, to make quicker decisions during games. Patullo has mentored him on this. 

Said Patullo: "It's really just: 'Trust yourself. If you feel like you know it, let it go. You've got to trust yourself at some point.' I think he feels comfortable with where he is, and that's what helps you speed up your decisions." 

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/08/jets_bryce_pettys_whole_picture_is_getting_clearer.html#incart_river_index

8 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I take this as Bowels giving Geno his last chance to make the roster, and I don't see Geno on the roster come Sept. 11.

That's how it seems to me, too.  Normally, a team wouldn't cut a 1st or 2nd round QB in the last year of his contract even if he couldn't beat out a pretty modest journeyman QB like Fitz, but Geno doesn't seem to be much of a team player, either, and that's probably the main reason he's gone sooner rather than later.  IMO, he's got to show competency, leadership, and results.  That seems unlikely.

Despite missing all of spring ball, Jets QB  Ryan Fitzpatrickicon-article-link.gif  had a solid  training  camp and has played well in limited preseason duty. Fitzpatrick, who will lead the first-team offense Saturday against the Giants for their final extended action of the summer, has completed seven of his 13 passes thus far in two contests.“He’s doing good, he really is. He’s in sync with everybody so far,” Patullo said of Fitzpatrick. “Him, Brandon, Eric, Nick and the rest of the guys are communicating well.  His communication has been great with me and Coach Gailey. He’s doing really well.”

Throughout camp, Fitz displayed a live arm and his body felt no worse for the wear.

“I figured he’d come in and be where he was, which knowing him being a super competitor, he’s going to want to take every  play  and do his best,” Patullo said. “I was pretty happy with him.”

The Green & White have gotten a long look at  Bryce Pettyicon-article-link.gif  and the second-year signal caller ranks third amongst NFL QBs in terms of pass yards with 335. He has thrown for two touchdowns against no interceptions and has had six completions cover 20 yards.“His  questions  are better, what he sees in the film room is better and you can tell it's translating to the field a little bit cleaner,” Patullo said of Petty. “He knows there’s still stuff for him to work on and that’s where it’s good.”

At some point in the second half Saturday night,  Geno Smithicon-article-link.gif  will relieve Ryan Fitzpatrick and take over the Jets’ offensive controls.“He sees the picture cleaner. He’s been doing this longer now so the more you do it, the more you understand and the more you see,” Patullo said of Smith. “It’s not new, it’s defensive looks. And they disguise them, they’re good at what they do. He understands and does a  good job  of asking, ‘Is that what that was? What could I have done here or done there?’”

Rookie  Christian Hackenbergicon-article-link.gif , a second-round pick from Penn State, is doing everything he can to absorb a new offense. While Hackenberg hasn’t seen  game  action yet, Patullo says the 6’4”, 228-pounder continues to get valuable reps daily on the  practice field .“Anything that we do, whether it be scout-team reps, team reps or just individual drills, so much of it is just getting a feel for where you’re at physically and how to throw each ball,” Patullo said. “We work a lot of footwork drills, throwing into nets and the timing and stuff like that. So for him, everything he can do right now is good for him.”

>        http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Jets-QB-Coach-Patullo-Reviews-the-Passers/8b422663-a673-4c19-aa2d-f45844546dc4

Todd Bowles expects Jets QB  Ryan Fitzpatrickicon-article-link.gif  to  play  at least two quarters of football in Saturday night’s MetLife Bowl against the Giants, as the third preseason game is generally known as the last dress rehearsal for the starters prior to the regular season. In Wednesday’s media availability, the head coach said  Geno Smithicon-article-link.gif  will be the second QB to play against the Giants.

“You have to look at it all the same because you don’t want to have a letdown, you don’t want to have a mental letdown. It’s all the same for me,” Smith said after Wednesday’s practice.  “Every single rep counts, every single minute or rep you get in a  game  counts. You always have to have that mentality, so things don’t change no matter what the situation is.”

Smith, who is entering his fourth season with the Green & White, has thrown for a total of 126 yards along with a touchdown and an interception in two preseason  games .“It’s really no different. I’m just continuing to work hard and preparing the same way,” he said. “It’s just going out there, executing and make the right reads.”

Bowles did not reveal his  plans  about how much playing time, if any, QB’s  Bryce Pettyicon-article-link.gif  and Christian Hackenbergicon-article-link.gif  would get in the second half. 

>     http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Geno-Smith’s-Outlook-Hasn’t-Changed-/dd8c969f-e36a-41c7-8dce-8453f1e17f4b

1 hour ago, kelly said:

Bowles did not reveal his  plans  about how much playing time, if any, QB’s  Bryce Pettyicon-article-link.gif  and Christian Hackenbergicon-article-link.gif  would get in the second half. 

Jets defense has had trouble getting off the field the first couple games. If that continues, Fitzpatrick  into the third quarter - depending on how well he's doing. I think Geno and Petty's time on the field will be telling after that. If Geno plays the rest of the game, they may've already made the decision that he's the #2. If Petty gets similar playing time, that would lend more credence to it still possibly being a battle. 

Dont expect to see Hackenberg until the last preseason game - if then. 

The New York Jets must cut their roster to 75 by 4 p.m. ET Tuesday and to 53 by 4 p.m. ET Saturday. Here’s a final 53-man roster projection :

QUARTERBACK (4) : Ryan Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith, Bryce Petty, Christian Hackenberg

An opposing personnel director told me he doesn't think the Jets will keep all four quarterbacks, and that Smith will be the odd man out because he's in the final year of his contract. Sure, maybe they can trade him for a conditional seventh-round pick if somebody is desperate (hey, the Philadelphia Eagles got something for Matt Barkley last year), but would obtaining a low-level asset outweigh the risk of entrusting the No. 2 job to the unproven Petty? I don't think so. Petty has done enough to stick around, but his lack of regular-season experience is scary. It's not ideal, but four is the way to go.

rest of above article :

> http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62578/jets-solve-qb-riddle-by-keeping-four-in-53-man-roster-projection

Archived