OC Chan Gailey.. re our 4 QB's ~ ~ ~

kelly

3 hours ago, fltflo said:

Amazing how you guys interpret Geno's action for not being out on the field after practice.

An as always you tilt it in a direction that fits you agenda. Funny also how one poster throws it out there and is soon joined by the rest of the crew to affirm the speculation as pure fact.

How about this for the other side. Geno could not join the other QB's because he had to take a wicked, dump, wiz. Geno didn't join the group because he had a previous appointment. Geno didn't join the group because Chan want to get some one on one time with him to break down film.

The kid as done and said all the right things and busted his butt the offseason. Everyone has including the CS has said he has mature immensely this year.

Yet, you guys continue to drive your hate Geno agenda with every opportunity. An so it continues.

The quotes were from the original poster's articles directly from the NY Post ... And Hackenberg himself saying Fitz & Petty (not Geno) have been working with him after practice 

https://nypost.com/2016/08/08/camp-for-christian-hackenberg-just-waiting-for-a-chance/amp/

lololol at the best excuse the Geno salad tossing secret handshake club can come up with on this one is Geno wasn't taking any part in the extra practice and QB bonding because " he had to take a wicked piss dump! " ... Tooooo f*cking funny!!!!!

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, fltflo said:

Amazing how you guys interpret Geno's action for not being out on the field after practice.

An as always you tilt it in a direction that fits you agenda. Funny also how one poster throws it out there and is soon joined by the rest of the crew to affirm the speculation as pure fact.

How about this for the other side. Geno could not join the other QB's because he had to take a wicked, dump, wiz. Geno didn't join the group because he had a previous appointment. Geno didn't join the group because Chan want to get some one on one time with him to break down film.

The kid as done and said all the right things and busted his butt the offseason. Everyone has including the CS has said he has mature immensely this year.

Yet, you guys continue to drive your hate Geno agenda with every opportunity. An so it continues.

Well now you've got me all nostalgic for my days in Philly as a lawyer. Your post reminded me of this courtroom gem:

DEFENDANT'S LAWYER

Your Honor, the court should not apply the maximum sentence in this case.

PHILLY JUDGE

Why not, counselor?

DEFENDANT'S LAWYER

What evidence do we have that he cannot be rehabilitated and is a future danger to the community?

PHILLY JUDGE

You mean besides his reputation?

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You don't cut a project QB you spent a 4th rounder on after 1 year.  You just don't.  Unwise decision-making with a potentially valuable asset.  The potential downstream returns of a QB are far greater than that of a 6th CB. 

100% agree.  Maccagan did not draft Geno Smith.  They knew drafting Petty was going to take time to develop.  That is why I miss the European Football league, because a guy like Petty would have been perfect to get reps and experience (It worked for Kurt Warner).  I believe the team needs to talk up Geno to create trade value/interest.  They will showcase him against the Jags tonight in preseason so other teams see his improvement.  

You have to keep all 4. 

Fitz and and geno are 1-2.

Hack has 2018 written all over him. He's bouncing passes all over the place! But he's your second round reach, so you must keep him and work with him.

Petty, it appears, is light years ahead of Hack. A lot will depend on Pettys preseason. I'm assuming he'll look pretty good. I'm also assuming Hack will look like Rick-Mirer-deer-in-the-headlights. If that is the scenario that unfolds, you can't go into the season with Hack as third and expose the better Petty on the PS. Yeah, Geno has looked good, but his history when the bullets are flying in real games MUST give the coaching staff tremendous pause for concern. So I don't think they want to have Hack as the guy that steps in for a, yet again, inept Geno.

17 hours ago, Beerfish said:

It would be tough to cut Petty unless he is totally awful in preseason.  He looks like twice the QB that hack is right now so far in camp.

He better be. Hack is only 21 years old.  If he doesn't play for 2 years and starts in 2018, he will still be a year younger than Wentz  is today (24).

23 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Out of all our failed 2nd round picks Hackenburg is going to be right up there.  Draft a guy that needs massive fixing and don't have the time to fix him.

10616019_10203747390959262_2337117426873

cheers ~ ~

:beer:

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Hack knows how to throw shade by exclusion. Remember how he thanked everyone at Penn State except for the Head Coach? He knows what he was saying and not saying and it's absolutely a middle finger to Geno.

in a company, it's important to align yourself with the right people.  that's all he's doing here.  and there is another hack quote in which he mentions geno.

Well now you've got me all nostalgic for my days in Philly as a lawyer. Your post reminded me of this courtroom gem:

DEFENDANT'S LAWYER

Your Honor, the court should not apply the maximum sentence in this case.

PHILLY JUDGE

Why not, counselor?

DEFENDANT'S LAWYER

What evidence do we have that he cannot be rehabilitated and is a future danger to the community?

PHILLY JUDGE

You mean besides his reputation?

An so it continues,

Were you were the same person at at 25 that you were at 21 ?

The only negativity on Geno this season seems to be coming from usual suspects. Both the coaching staff and his fellow players have had nothing but positive things to say about the way he has been going on about his business

An so it continues,

Were you were the same person at at 25 that you were at 21 ?

The only negativity on Geno this season seems to be coming from usual suspects. Both the coaching staff and his fellow players have had nothing but positive things to say about the way he has been going on about his business

When you lose the benefit of the doubt the burden is on you to show you've changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually teams carry 4 Qbs in pre-season but not during the season unless they PS one Qb. So Gailey's comments about not being able to give the no 3 and 4 Qbs enough reps in training camp not sure I understand it. Obviously not with the first team offense. But it's a decision the Jets will have to make because they've already committed themselves to Hack. And then Gailey says it's hard to evaluate him. I would think they're putting a lot of time into him. Nice TD pass by Geno but can he sustain longer drives. 

3 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Usually teams carry 4 Qbs in pre-season but not during the season unless they PS one Qb. So Gailey's comments about not being able to give the no 3 and 4 Qbs enough reps in training camp not sure I understand it. Obviously not with the first team offense. But it's a decision the Jets will have to make because they've already committed themselves to Hack. And then Gailey says it's hard to evaluate him. I would think they're putting a lot of time into him. Nice TD pass by Geno but can he sustain longer drives. 

How goes the ADD?

cimini_rich_m.jpg

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

Jets rookie QB Christian Hackenberg didn't play. They used Ryan Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith and Bryce Petty. Todd Bowles said it would've been a "disservice" to Hackenberg to put him in the game because he had so few practice reps. Clearly, the Jets are taking a long-term approach with Hackenberg.

>     http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

The New York Jets open the preseason on Thursday night against theJacksonville Jaguars -- a 7:30 kickoff at MetLife Stadium. Things to watch :

• Top storyline : Presumably, Ryan Fitzpatrick will start and play a series or two. (For some reason, coach Todd Bowles hasn't revealed his quarterback rotation.) Seven months removed from the Buffalo nightmare, Fitzpatrick has modest offensive goals for the game -- no turnovers, no stupid penalties and maybe a few first downs. For Fitzpatrick, who missed the offseason because of his contract dispute, this is all about removing rust and reconnecting with his receivers.

•  

rest of above article  :  

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62000/how-many-qbs-does-it-take-to-fill-out-a-roster-jets-aim-to-find-out

-- The New York Jets' fan base apparently approves of the team's decision to re-sign Ryan Fitzpatrick, relegating Geno Smith to No. 2 duty -- again.

Smith was booed by the sparse home crowd after two early incompletions (yes, really), but he ignored the rude welcome and fired a 17-yard touchdown pass toCharone Peake in the Jets' 17-13 victory over the Jacksonville Jaguars on Thursday night at MetLife Stadium. It came on the one-year anniversary of Smith's locker-room altercation with IK Enemkpali, who broke his then-teammate's jaw with a punch.

On this night, Smith replaced fan favorite Fitzpatrick, who led the starting offense to one touchdown in two series. Fitzpatrick played only nine snaps and did just enough to make it a successful preseason debut. For Fitzpatrick, who had no offseason work because of his contract situation, this was a rust-removal game. He accomplished that.

The Jets made the right decision by re-signing Fitzpatrick. The crowd at the MetLife sauna apparently thought so, too.

QB depth chart: Fitzpatrick, Smith and Bryce Petty were a combined 18-for-32, 244 yards, with one touchdown and no turnovers. Rookie Christian Hackenberg didn't play, but his roster spot is secure. This really was a showcase for Petty, who could be the odd man out if the Jets decide to keep only three quarterbacks. Petty (7-for-14, 93 yards) had a couple of nice moments, but he missed a wide-open Jace Amaro for a potential big play. His game management also was suspect at times. Petty didn't hurt his chances, but he didn't help them, either.

rest of above article :  

>  http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62027/ryan-fitzpatrick-is-solid-geno-smith-is-booed-but-throws-td-in-jets-win

After one episode of Todd Bowles' soap opera, "All My Quarterbacks," this is what we know about the cast:

The new-look Ryan Fitzpatrick, he of the buzz cut and shaved-down beard, is the leading man. He's the undisputed No. 1 on the New York Jetsand No. 1 in the heart of fan/comedian Larry David, who apparently prefers his heroes clean-shaven.Rookie Christian Hackenberg, whose baby face probably won't allow him to grow a beard, is the No. 3 quarterback. He didn't play in the preseason opener on Thursday night, further proof the organization has him on a layaway plan.

Geno Smith and Bryce Petty are battling for the No. 2 job, which could be split into two positions (2 and 2a) if the powers that be decide to keep all four quarterbacks. That's a possibility, according to general manager Mike Maccagnan.The last time a team opened the season with four quarterbacks on the 53-man roster was 2013, when the Washington Redskins and Minnesota Vikings both did it. It's unorthodox, but the Jets' situation is so ... so ... unsettled ("cumbersome" is another word that fits) that it might behoove them to defy conventional thinking. Quarterbacks are currency in the NFL, and their value increases for teams that don't have The Franchise Guy.

Like the Jets.

Smith's primary value to the team is that he's the only experienced backup. He'd be expendable if the Jets ever reach the point where they feel comfortable with Petty as the No. 2. The gap between them closed a bit on Thursday night, but Petty still has work to do. The coming week, culminating with a game at Washington, will be huge for him.

Petty wasn't lights-out against the Jacksonville Jaguars on Thursday -- neither was Smith -- but Bowles liked what he saw."They did some good things," he said. "They got pressured at times, but there were no turnovers from the quarterback position, which is always a plus. Both of them threw some good balls. ... [Smith] and Bryce showed poise. At this time last year, they were both a little more erratic. This time, they showed poise."

Actually, Smith never played in the 2015 preseason because of his broken jaw, but you get the point.On Thursday night, Smith threw a 17-yard touchdown pass after a long kickoff return, then finished up with a 12-play, 60-yard drive for a field goal. Everything else was mediocre. He was 8-for-14, 79 yards, playing conservatively. Petty took an aggressive approach and started strong -- a nine-play, 73-yard drive (missed field goal) -- but it got progressively more sloppy with third-stringers in the game.

Petty was happy.

"One word: comfortable," he said after completing seven of 14 for 93 yards. "I felt like I was so much more comfortable than last year, which is exactly what I wanted."If the Jets really want to give Petty a shot to overtake Smith, they'll make him the first man off the bench next Friday night in Washington. If he's No. 3 again, handling mop-up, it means they've decided to keep Smith at No. 2. In that case, Petty probably would be playing for his roster spot, not the No. 2 job. For all his shortcomings, Smith has something that Petty can't get this summer -- regular-season experience.

As for Hackenberg, the team's plans for him are clear. He's getting very few practice reps and he might not play until the preseason finale. It looks like a redshirt year, a stark contrast to what Maccagnan said after the draft. Back then, he played it coy when asked if he expected the rookie to compete right away for playing time. Sorry, the charade is over."There wasn't enough time," Bowles said, explaining why Hackenberg sat in the opener. "We wanted to take a look at Geno and Bryce. To play Hackenberg with a minimal amount of reps in practice would be doing him a disservice."

Only the Jets can make news with bottom-of-the-depth-chart decisions at quarterback. Can't wait for the next episode of "All My Quarterbacks."

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62071/plenty-of-intriguing-plot-twists-in-the-jets-quarterback-soap-opera

Only the Jets can make news with bottom-of-the-depth-chart decisions at quarterback. Can't wait for the next episode of "All My Quarterbacks.

Only d**shbag Cimini can try to write a whole series of articles about nothing and then blame that on the NYJ ... Nothing to see (or read) here Rich

The Jets started preseason play Thursday as three of their four signal callers saw work in the team’s 17-13 victory over the Jacksonville Jaguars.  Ryan Fitzpatrickicon-article-link.gif ,  Geno Smithicon-article-link.gif  and  Bryce Pettyicon-article-link.gif  combined to complete 18 of 32 passes for 244 yards with 1 TD and no turnovers. Rookie second-round pick Christian Hackenbergicon-article-link.gif  watched from the sideline and will wait to make his pro debut.

Ryan Fitzpatrick

The Skinny: In just two series with the first unit, Fitzpatrick completed three of his four passes for 75 yards and the veteran led one scoring drive. Fitzpatrick, who hit  Quincy Enunwaicon-article-link.gif  twice for 69 yards, departed after  Bilal Powellicon-article-link.gif ’s 4-yard TD in the second stanza.“I thought we did OK. We didn’t have a ton of plays, so, I wish we would’ve got something more,” Fitzpatrick said. “We had a great return on the first drive or series  —  I wish we would’ve done a little bit more with that one. We tried to go a little up-tempo almost just to practice a two-minute situation in that second drive and got a couple of big plays out of Quincy and we were able to get it in there.”

“He played OK. They didn’t give us too much hard stuff to play with in the first half,” added head coach Todd Bowles. “We tried to do a two-minute on the second series of the game and Quincy was open both times, so we got down the field pretty quickly. He was efficient. He was fine.”

Geno Smith

The Skinny: Taking over for Fitzpatrick in the second quarter, Smith appeared in four series and led the offense to 10 points.  Smith, who completed 8 of 14 for 79 yards, converted  Jalin Marshallicon-article-link.gif ’s 84-yard kickoff return into points when he connected with rookie WR  Charone Peakeicon-article-link.gif  on the go-ahead 17-yard score.

Bryce Petty

The Skinny:  With a year under his belt in Chan Gailey’s system, Bryce Petty felt a world of difference. Although he was sacked twice, Petty appeared sturdy in the pocket while completing 7 of his 14 passes for 50 yards.“(I) felt so much more comfortable than last year, which is exactly what I wanted. Coming into this game, I wanted to execute and I felt like I did that,” he said. “The first two drives, we came out hitting, thought we did really well and moved the ball right down the field. We kind of tailed off there toward the end. But overall, I felt really comfortable with what was going on. Every play call I just knew what was going on and knew what was expected of me, so I just felt good about everything.”

“At this time last year, they were both a little more erratic,” added Bowles on both the Jets’ No. 2 & No. 3 passes.  “This time, they showed poise. Again, it’s only the first preseason game. They didn’t see blitzes and a ton of coverages, but they showed poise and commanded the units while they were in there. That was good to see.”

Christian Hackenberg

The Skinny: Listed as No. 4 on the depth chart, Hackenberg has not taken a ton of team reps at practice. A three-year starter at Penn State who has all the physical tools, Hackenberg is adjusting to a lot and the Jets planned to get more time for Smith and Petty against the Jags.“There wasn’t enough time. We wanted to take a look at Geno and Bryce, and to play Hackenberg with minimal reps in practice would be doing him a disservice to play him with minimal reps in a game,” said Bowles.

During his postgame news conference, Bowles was asked if he would wait until the Jets’ final preseason game for Hackenberg to see action.“It remains to be seen practice reps as far as schematically what we can do and still get a look at the other three guys and their reps,” he said. “We’re not going to take away from their reps and he’s still learning. He has time. It’s not like we’re forced to play him right now.”

>    http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/QB-Review-Jets-Will-Take-Time-with-Hackenberg-/6375912d-9645-4034-b5f3-b38b3fcb58dc

~ ~   Quarterback Bryce Petty is receiving more practice reps than usual this week, but don't go jumping to conclusions. To me, it's not Petty versus Geno Smith for the No. 2 job (not yet, anyway); it's Petty versus Petty. Team brass has to decide if it wants to carry four quarterbacks on the 53-man roster, and the key component in that decision is an evaluation of Petty. 

rest of above article  : 

>    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62136/jets-coach-todd-bowles-still-waiting-for-a-young-linebacker-or-two-to-emerge

On 8/13/2016 at 10:41 AM, kelly said:

We tried to go a little up-tempo almost just to practice a two-minute situation in that second drive and got a couple of big plays out of Quincy and we were able to get it in there.”

So, on the 2nd offensive possession of the game, the Jets similulated a 2-min situation. This is why a lot of what we think we're watching at home doesn't matter during preseason. We have no idea what the coaches are evaluating at any given time.

-- The New York Jets don't have a backup-quarterback controversy, according to coach Todd Bowles.

Two days after the Jets' first preseason game, in which Geno Smith (20 snaps) and Bryce Petty (28) received the majority of the reps, Bowles said there no changes on the depth chart.

"Geno is the No. 2 right now," Bowles said Saturday after practice. "We're not making a competition after one preseason game."

Bowles spelled it out quite clearly: Ryan Fitzpatrick is No. 1, followed by Smith, Petty and rookie Christian Hackenberg, in that order. Could it change over the next few weeks? Sure, but Petty's window for overtaking Smith is closing. If the Jets want to give him a fair chance, they should make Petty the No. 2 next Friday night against the Washington Redskins.We'll see how it plays out, but from all indications, Smith will go into the season as Fitzpatrick's primary backup -- as he should. The Jets are built to win now, and they'd be taking an unnecessary risk by tossing aside their insurance policy and handing the job to the unproven Petty. Despite his shortcomings, Smith has at least won games in the league.

Bowles said the quarterbacks were "OK" in the 17-13 win over the Jacksonville Jaguars. He gave them props for commanding the game, but noted they didn't see any exotic blitzes or complex coverages. Smith (8-of-14, 79 yards) and Petty (7-of-14, 93 yards) were about the same, but at least Smith got the team in the end zone.The distribution of practice reps could be something to watch in the coming days. On Saturday, Smith and Petty received almost an equal share of the backup work. Smith got 22 reps, Petty 18. Fitzpatrick led the way with 36, all with the first team. In case you're wondering, Hackenberg got only three.

This will be a fascinating story over the final weeks of the preseason, as the football world waits to see if the Jets will actually keep four quarterbacks on the 53-man roster. That would be unconventional, to say the least.

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62103/new-york-jets-todd-bowles-no-competition-right-now-for-no-2-qb-job

On August 12, 2016 at 9:32 AM, kelly said:
cimini_rich_m.jpg

Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

Jets rookie QB Christian Hackenberg didn't play. They used Ryan Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith and Bryce Petty. Todd Bowles said it would've been a "disservice" to Hackenberg to put him in the game because he had so few practice reps. Clearly, the Jets are taking a long-term approach with Hackenberg.

>     http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

You just can't get this deep, insightful reporting anywhere else.  Thanks Dick

This basically comes down to Geno and Petty. I think Mac/Bowles want to see if Geno would be good enough developed to step in for Fitz if theres an injury. If he's not vastly better than Petty by pre seasons end, Geno's gone to increase reps and development of Petty and Hack.

Same goes for Petty. If he implodes, he'll be gone. But it looks like the first scenario is gonne happen. 

The other day we took a look at how the top two quarterbacks for the Jets did in the preseason opener against the Jaguars. There was a third quarterback to play for the Jets. It was Bryce Petty? How did he perform?

One thing to remember about Petty is how raw he was coming out of Baylor. He wasn't ready to play last year. Frankly, I don't think he will be ready for a starting or backup role this year. All of this means I think you have to grade Petty on a curve. Even signs of doing basic things well have to be taken as positives because he was essentially starting from scratch when he came into the NFL. Indeed, I thought many of the things he did well against Jacksonville were fairly rudimentary tasks for an NFL quarterback. For Petty, they could be signs of progress.

Good

On this play, Petty hits Jeremy Ross over the middle. He makes a fairly basic read and sees that he has zone coverage. Ross is running into Myles Jack's zone. Jack is a linebacker. Even though he is a highly regarded one, any receiver against any linebacker is generally going to be a mismatch.

What I really like here is it seems like Petty not only understands the matchup but also how this playcall meshes with the defense. Petty knows that Romar Morris is going to occupy the defender in zone who could help Jack out. Morris drawing this defender is going to open a hole for Ross to run into. Jacksonville's only hope is for Jack to be able to run with Ross, but that isn't going to happen even for a defender as highly regarded as Jack. He can trust that Ross will win this matchup, and he is getting this ball out before Ross is even open.

This next play is about as rudimentary of a read as you will get in the NFL. Petty has soft coverage and a receiver coming back to him.

Again, I'm grading Petty on a curve here. Anything good is a sign of progress, and to his credit, this ball is coming out before Charone Peake is even looking for it.

This next play results in an incompletion, but I like where Petty's head is out here.

He sees he has the one on one matchup he wants to attack down the field, but he doesn't lock onto his receiver too soon and allow somebody to undercut it and close down his passing window. He holds defenders in their spots to maintain the one on one. Even though the pass is ultimately incomplete, he gives himself a real chance.

That is something that might not have happened a year ago.

Bad

I don't have any real advanced analysis on this play. This is just a really bad sack to take. There was plenty of time to throw this ball away at the very least.

This next play is a big mental error. On this one, Petty actually does avoid a sack and throws the ball away.

What is the problem? The Jets have a 4 point lead with under 2:00 to go in the fourth quarter. At this point of the game, keeping the clock running is a bigger priority than gaining yardage. You always have to understand score and time as a quarterback. If Petty just gives himself up, Jacksonville either uses its final timeout, or the Jets run an extra 40 seconds off the clock.

I know some people will say this is a young player's inexperience showing. I say this is wrong. If Petty did this in college at Baylor, the announcers and his coaches would be all over him. No matter what level of football you are playing, you should know what is happening.

Mixed Bag

This play is a nice little scramble from Petty, evading the rush and trying to make something happen. He keeps his eyes down the field and almost makes a big play as a result.

Ultimately, this falls for a harmless incompletion and near interception. What happened? Petty and Jace Amaro have to share in the blame here.

Petty throws this ball late.

This ball should be out shortly after Amaro's defender falls down. At the same time, Amaro has to do a better job of fighting for the ball. At the point where I pause this, Amaro should be going up and attacking the ball. This is schoolyard football. Go use that 6'6" 250 pound frame and win the ball. Nobody else is getting that ball if Amaro goes up to get it. Instead, he falls back and allows himself to be undercut. This results in an incompletion and could have allowed the ball to be intercepted.

Like the other two quarterbacks, Petty's performance in the preseason opener had its good and bad moments.

>        http://www.ganggreennation.com/2016/8/16/12500108/ny-jets-how-did-bryce-petty-do-against-jacksonville

-- Wednesday's wake-up call, Day 21 of New York Jetstraining camp:

What’s happening: Practice beginning at 1:50 p.m. ET, the final one before the Jets' second preseason game against the Washington Redskins on Friday night.

What's hot: Geno Smith -- well, he was a little hot under the collar Tuesday, anyway. After a bad sequence of plays at practice which included a couple of bad shotgun snaps he had trouble handling, Smith took off his helmet and fired it to the ground. His frustration was understandable, but you'd like to see more composure from your quarterback -- even if he is your backup.

Speaking of quarterbacks, it remains to be seen how head coach Todd Bowles will utilize his four QBs on Friday against the Redskins. Starter Ryan Fitzpatrick, Smith and second-year man Bryce Petty played in the preseason opener against the Jacksonville Jaguars, while rookie second-round draft pickChristian Hackenberg did not. But all four continue to get reps in practice. "All of them gotta be ready to play," Bowles said. "Whether we play 'em all or not, we'll just see how the game goes."

Tuesday wasn't a great day for any of the four QBs -- including Fitzpatrick, whose last throw of practice was intercepted by linebacker Erin Henderson. But he's the only one whose job is 100 percent secure. There's pressure on the others -- in practice and the preseason games.

>          http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/62229/jets-qbs-look-to-bounce-back-with-the-pressure-on

On 8/15/2016 at 10:26 AM, Adoni Beast said:

This basically comes down to Geno and Petty. I think Mac/Bowles want to see if Geno would be good enough developed to step in for Fitz if theres an injury. If he's not vastly better than Petty by pre seasons end, Geno's gone to increase reps and development of Petty and Hack.

Same goes for Petty. If he implodes, he'll be gone. But it looks like the first scenario is gonne happen. 

They can increase the reps for Petty and Hackenberg without getting rid of Geno.  It's not a mutually exclusive situation.  The Jets likely don't want Hackenberg to see the field at all this season, so Geno and Petty provide buffers in that respect. 

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They can increase the reps for Petty and Hackenberg without getting rid of Geno.  It's not a mutually exclusive situation.  The Jets likely don't want Hackenberg to see the field at all this season, so Geno and Petty provide buffers in that respect. 

Its tough to pass around enough reps for 4, but yes they can increase Petty and Hackenberg's without getting rid of Geno.

However, if Geno who in year 4 isn't marginally better than Petty, the only reason I see them not cutting him is the comp pick they'll get after he leaves next year.

24 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Its tough to pass around enough reps for 4, but yes they can increase Petty and Hackenberg's without getting rid of Geno.

However, if Geno who in year 4 isn't marginally better than Petty, the only reason I see them not cutting him is the comp pick they'll get after he leaves next year.

And that's a very good reason to hang onto him.  QB's are the best assets in this league, and if just one of the 31 teams out there with QB issues thinks he can be salvaged, it's worth seeing if we can get even a 5th rounder or so out of him.  Maybe Geno will start 1 game this year (for whatever reason), pull a Matt Flynn and get signed elsewhere to a big contract.

Archived