SMC

Your 2016-2017 New York Knicks Thread!!!

1,739 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, thadude said:

1. The defensive 3 seconds rule has to go 2. Players have to be forced to stay in college til they are juniors or 3 years out of high school 3. Replacement refs please.  The current refs in the NBA are all corrupt and on Vegas's payroll

The have a developmental league, but they aren't willing to fully commit. May be that business model doesn't much work either. Cheaper to have the NCAA develop their stars, even if for only a year. As a parent paying serious $ for a college student, don't really get why basketball players, among all sports, have some special reason to go or not really go to school for one season. And really what is the point of any of their rules if Calipari, Bob Huggins and Pititno and their ilk aren't banned from coaching. 

why isn't frenchy playing in the summer league ?  is he hurt ?

3 hours ago, Larz said:

why isn't frenchy playing in the summer league ?  is he hurt ?

Injured his knee in his first practice and it's been sore since. Knicks have kept specifics bottled up.

It's honestly terrifying, because everyone else drafted in the top ten has looked ******* awesome in Vegas. Getting the one guy that didn't pan out in this lottery would be the Knickiest Knick thing ever. Smith has hands down looked like the best player drafted outside the top 3 and it's not even close to be honest. The dude is intense as all hell.

20 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Injured his knee in his first practice and it's been sore since. Knicks have kept specifics bottled up.

It's honestly terrifying, because everyone else drafted in the top ten has looked ******* awesome in Vegas. Getting the one guy that didn't pan out in this lottery would be the Knickiest Knick thing ever. Smith has hands down looked like the best player drafted outside the top 3 and it's not even close to be honest. The dude is intense as all hell.

Is Smith the PG taken after our guy? 

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Ntilikina got hurt in the final game of the French league championship.

FYI, Smith has a healed torn ACL. Hes looked great, no question, but one awkward landing on his dunks and he is gone for season.

22 minutes ago, SMC said:

FYI, Smith has a healed torn ACL. Hes looked great, no question, but one awkward landing on his dunks and he is gone for season.

I get it, but I'm just going off of the assumption that everything is going to be bad all the time now. 

19 hours ago, Bugg said:

The have a developmental league, but they aren't willing to fully commit. May be that business model doesn't much work either. Cheaper to have the NCAA develop their stars, even if for only a year. As a parent paying serious $ for a college student, don't really get why basketball players, among all sports, have some special reason to go or not really go to school for one season. And really what is the point of any of their rules if Calipari, Bob Huggins and Pititno and their ilk aren't banned from coaching. 

Only bottom of the barrel talent goes to the NBDL.  Langston friggin Galloway is considered an elite NBDLer

Ntikilina will be fine

On 7/15/2017 at 9:36 PM, SMC said:

can be said for every athlete in just about every sport

54 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

can be said for every athlete in just about every sport

In theory, yes, but when a player has had such a serious injury, normal impacts have a greater risk of causing a reassurance of that injury.  The body always works on the weakest link principle.  If that previously torn ACL is the weakest link in his knee, it is the first to go.

On 7/15/2017 at 9:59 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

I get it, but I'm just going off of the assumption that everything is going to be bad all the time now. 

This is true.

Changed my mind about the THJ contract.

1. $71 mil is actually not a big contract in today's NBA where useless crap like Omer Asik and Demarre Carrol get huge contracts

2. THJ sucked here but got a lot better in Atlanta once he got away from JR "the Human Cancer" Smith and the triangle

3. THJ is entering his prime

4. THJ shot 45% FG percentage which was better than Carmelo last year.  If he played as many minutes as Melo and gets as many shots his scoring avg would be the same

5. We weren't signing any marquis free agents anyway and Carmelo will be gone either this summer or next February

Portland wants to trade for Melo, but Melo is not interested in waiving his NTC for the Blazers yet.  Before the Perry signing, the Knicks and Rockets tried to pull in Portland for a 4 way or 3 way deal, but Portland said it didn't want to help the Rockets, but would rather want to trade for Melo outright.  Attached is the link to the Portland artice on this:

http://www.kgw.com/sports/nba/blazers/report-carmelo-anthony-not-considering-portland-right-now/457448196

According to other reports, Portland's offer would revolve around Mo Harkless and a future protected 1st.  That's better assets than what the Rockets are offering.

12 hours ago, SMC said:

Portland wants to trade for Melo, but Melo is not interested in waiving his NTC for the Blazers yet.  Before the Perry signing, the Knicks and Rockets tried to pull in Portland for a 4 way or 3 way deal, but Portland said it didn't want to help the Rockets, but would rather want to trade for Melo outright.  Attached is the link to the Portland artice on this:

http://www.kgw.com/sports/nba/blazers/report-carmelo-anthony-not-considering-portland-right-now/457448196

According to other reports, Portland's offer would revolve around Mo Harkless and a future protected 1st.  That's better assets than what the Rockets are offering.

We have to get rid of Melo.  He's a power forward but is forced to play and defend the 3 because we also have KP

If Melo doesn't want to accept a trade to Portland fine.  Simply bench and tell him to stay home like we did with Marbury

Not Knicks related but this story is awesome:

Nobody knows how to motivate Stephen Jackson quite like Gregg Popovich. (AP)

Stephen Jackson, aka Captain Jack, spent Wednesday in Bristol, Connecticut, so we were treated to more tales from a man who has admitted to never working out in the summer and smoking weed before games during his 14-year career. This time, he combined those two subjects into one incredible story.

In response to a question on Ryen Russillo’s radio show about his best summer league story, Jackson offered not just his best story, but the best story. Setting the scene, Captain Jack was a free agent wrapping up a successful Rocky Mountain Revue performance in Utah following his rookie year on the 2000-01 New Jersey Nets, and that’s when San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich approached him.

[Follow Ball Don’t Lie on social media: Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Tumblr]

We’ll let him take it from there:

Jackson: “I remember playing great, and after the last game, we’re just sitting there, and Pop was like, ‘I need to talk to you.’ He was like, ‘Jack, you had a great summer league, you’re playing well, I really want you on my team, but there’s only one way you’re going to make my team: During the season, you can’t smoke weed, Jack. You just can’t do it. I need you focused. I need you on your game, because you know we have a chance to win a championship, and I need you focused.’

“And once he told me that, I shut it down. I shut it down. The NBA was way more important than weed. Trust me.”

Russillo: “So, you said, ‘That’s it’?”

Jackson: “Shut it down. I shut it down.”

Russillo: “And he believed you?”

Jackson: “I played two years there and won a championship. Everything he said was going to happen if I did my part — if I played defense, stopped smoking weed, I would win a championship, and I would be a starter on a championship team — and it all came true.”

Russillo: “So, does that mean if the next GM who signed you didn’t ask you that question, then that was not a rule you had to follow?”

Jackson: “We had to have that talk first. We had to have the talk first, you know what I mean? I know my role.”

True to form, Jackson started 58 games for the 2003 NBA champion Spurs, before joining the Atlanta Hawks in free agency. It is pretty great that Popovich’s scouting went deep enough to know he could get the best out of Captain Jack, so long as he wasn’t smoking weed, and it makes you wonder how many coaches at his other seven NBA stops would think to ask him not to smoke marijuana in season.

We do know former Golden State Warriors coach Don Nelson was not one of them, because Jackson told us as much — and more — during an appearance on Michael Rapaport’s podcast this past January:

“We’re in Utah and the drug test people are around, you know, to get our last drug test so we can smoke, right? Don Nelson, we talked about weed all the time, he was cool with talking about weed. We got our last test in Utah, right? So me and Baron [Davis] are coming out the locker room just screaming, excited with our last pink slip saying we could smoke for the rest of the season and Don Nelson hauls ass down there giving us high-fives like, ‘yeah, we can smoke now!’ It was cool, the fact that he knows what’s going on off the court with his players, which was great man. We enjoyed it. That’s why we were a great team.”

We should probably note that Popovich owned a 2-0 record against Nelson-coached teams in the playoffs, including a six-game win over Nelson’s Dallas Mavericks in the 2003 Western Conference finals, which featured a breakout and lights-out 24-point effort by Jackson in the close-out game.

We should also note that Jackson openly admitted on Rapoport’s podcast to smoking weed before games, with mixed results ranging from “great games” to “some games where I smoked before the game and was on the bench after three minutes sitting on the sideline, ‘please calm down, this high has to calm down,’ I done shot three shots that went over the backboard, like, I’m going to be honest, like, ‘ahh, I gotta calm down.” So, yeah, maybe Popovich asking him to chill was a pretty good call.

Jackson’s afternoon on the ESPN campus didn’t end with this weed-related story on the “Russillo Show.” He later joined Rachel Nichols and Paul Pierce on “The Jump” and offered these great takes:

That's great, Jif.  Who knew that Don Nelson was a pothead

1 hour ago, SMC said:

That's great, Jif.  Who knew that Don Nelson was a pothead

The mental image of Pop sitting down Stephen Jackson and telling him he cant smoke weed anymore is too much.  

And then him and Baron Davis celebrating they can smoke.  I keep thinking of this scene from Wayne's World except replacing it with Davis and Jackson screaming, "We can smoke weed" , "We can smoke weed"

Kyrie Irving requested a trade to either Knicks or Wolves.  Let's go Lebron we will offer you Melo and future draft picks plus we'll even take on Shumpert's horrible contract

100% yes on Kyrie. 1 for 1 straight up in a heartbeat. Efficient top PG with a championship pedigree and given the current salaries in the NBA that contract becomes one hell of an asset.

If this team has taught me anything, it's not to get my hopes up, but holy crap would that be a great trade.

1 hour ago, thadude said:

Kyrie Irving requested a trade to either Knicks or Wolves.  Let's go Lebron we will offer you Melo and future draft picks plus we'll even take on Shumpert's horrible contract

You dump Porzingis' soft ass in a heartbeat if they'd do it.

55 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

No you don't, because Porzingis's trade value is way higher than that even though he's sh*t. Irving doesn't make any sense for the Knicks. If Cleveland is willing to take a deal centered on Carmelo it would be much better to get a third team involved to kick in the picks and cap dollars because Irving is a clear overpay coming and going. That's pretty much the dream here, using this as a chance to get out from under for free.

If Kyrie gets moved, he forfeits the right to a Supermax in 2019. Is Lebron really that hard to deal with?

6 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

100% yes on Kyrie. 1 for 1 straight up in a heartbeat. Efficient top PG with a championship pedigree and given the current salaries in the NBA that contract becomes one hell of an asset.

If this team has taught me anything, it's not to get my hopes up, but holy crap would that be a great trade.

I think you end up seeing Kyrie to the Spurs for Aldrudge

5 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Huh?