Could Juston Burris have big role with Jets in 2017?

Gas2No99

Could Juston Burris have big role with Jets in 2017?

usa-today-9753419.0.jpeg

BY CONNOR HUGHES 

NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

FLORHAM PARK -- The list is practically endless. Only a madman would attempt to list all the mistakes made by the Jets in 2016.

But defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers has -- at least on his side of the ball. And one of the biggest blunders has to do with then-rookie cornerback Juston Burris.

"[He] probably should have played more last year," Rodgers said Tuesday.:rolleyes:

Burris is tailor-made for coach Todd Bowles' defense. He's a big, physical, press-man cornerback. He has the size (6-0, 212 pounds) to disrupt receivers at the line, and the speed to keep with them down the field. But there's a reason the Jets struggled to find a role for him last season.

jetsburris.jpg

In college, Burris' physicality was to a fault, which led to an abundance of pass interference and holding penalties. In his first season, the Jets held Burris back while he worked on his fundamentals. They relegated him to special teams. Burris saw significant defensive snaps in just four games. In total, he had 16 tackles, one interception and five pass breakups. He finished with a PFF grade of 71.0.

Juston+Burris+Seattle+Seahawks+v+New+Yor

In hindsight, Rodgers believes Burris would have been better off playing, taking his lumps, and learning from mistakes. :rolleyes: But, at the time, the Jets had a loaded depth chart at corner.:blink:

Burris was on the bottom with locked-in starters up top. Darrelle Revis and Buster Skrine manned the outside in the base defense. In nickel, Marcus Williams checked in outside, and Skrine moved into the slot.

220px-Juston_Burris.jpg

On paper, the rotation looked good. On the field, it didn't work. While poor safety play undoubtedly contributed to the secondary's struggles, the Jets still allowed 52 pass plays of 20-plus yards (14th most in NFL), and 13 of 40-plus (3rd most). They allowed 30 passing touchdowns (6th most) and intercepted just eight passes (second fewest).

This year, the depth chart is in pencil. Revis is gone, and while Skrine, Williams and free-agent signing Morris Claiborne are the starters now, if Burris outplays them in camp, there's no reason to believe he won't supplant them. At the Jets' first OTA Tuesday, he was among the players rotating in-and-out with the starters on the primary field.

The Jets admittedly realize they made a mistake not playing Burris last year.:angry: It's hard to see them doing it again 2017.

"We think he has tremendous upside and he's competitive," Rodgers said. "His tools fit what we try to do on defense."

630168822.0.jpg

The ADMITTED ineptitude by the defensive coordinator on NOT playing Burris more once it was a lost season - which was PLAIN AS DAY! to the fans- is HIGHLY disturbing and only validates the fury of those here calling for KC's head on a platter. Who mandates the directive to NOT bench high salaried "marquee" veterans and at the cost of retarding the development and game experience for our draft picks? The Owner? HC?

15 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

The ADMITTED ineptitude by the defensive coordinator on NOT playing Burris more once it was a lost season - which was PLAIN AS DAY! to the fans- is HIGHLY disturbing and only validates the fury of those here calling for KC's head on a platter. Who mandates the directive to NOT bench high salaried "marquee" veterans and at the cost of retarding the development and game experience for our draft picks? The Owner? HC?

How does the DC still work here?

22 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Unreal, that after two seasons with the big three DL he needs to go thru the OTA's to find out where they play best. Does he really believe what he says? Many high draft picks on this D. The excuses are over.

Puff piece or not, valid point: Burris should start over Skrine and Marcus Williams in the base defense. He is more physically capable in matching up with big tall WRs (Williams & Skrine can not) and actually jam them at the LOS. His main vulnerability is his speed, but with the 2 new safeties who have more range (in theory) than the safeties of the last couple years (Gilly and Pryor), Burris should have much better help over the top and not be as exposed as last year's secondary on deep routes over 40 yards that went for TDs. :rolleyes:

Cailborne and Burris should be the #1 and #2 CB, respectively, with Skrine/Williams (neither lasts a full season) at the NB and Daryl Roberts as the Dime back. 

1 hour ago, Jack Straw said:

This coaching staff is spineless and incompetent. 

The coaching staff that you haven't witness coach a single Jet game is all that .  Tell me, when you make statements, is they a voice in your head that talks to you ?

Kacy Rogers is the same cardboard cut out that Thurman was for rex,  make no mistake about it 100% of every thing to do with the D is Bowles.,

Burris looked good in press and short range coverage last year.  He did not all, in the least look like he had make up speed though.  Like a lot of CBs how good he is will totally depend on our pass rush.

12 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Kacy Rogers is the same cardboard cut out that Thurman was for rex,  make no mistake about it 100% of every thing to do with the D is Bowles.,

Burris looked good in press and short range coverage last year.  He did not all, in the least look like he had make up speed though.  Like a lot of CBs how good he is will totally depend on our pass rush.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/juston-burris

13 hours ago, sciond said:

how many threads like this will I read until opening day...

I think Burris flashed some skills last year, let's see how he develops.

Until there is ACTUAL football to be played.

But you know what, if people are so opposed and tired of reading articles relating to the Jets during the DEAD period of the off season, then don't bother with the thread. There is NOTHING going on, so good luck trying to avoid reading puff "quota-filler" articles by local Jets beat reporters because everything at this point is speculation and conjecture until TC begins. Between the self-appointed "journalist" NFL bloggers and "Genius" analytics and Op-Eds posted by the motley dregs that "contribute" here with their snide remarks, you would think troll articles by the local beat writers would be a nice respite and at least the basis for debate amongst the local riffraff. 

To H3LL with Y'ALL!!!! Stay with Kelly's monotonous font article postings with no pictures!

p1.jpg?w=720

lol. :P

15 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He has one of the skills you can't teach a DB: ball skills.  He's one of the bigger CBs you'll see in terms of weight.  I mean, he's built well enough to play safety.  Maybe he can drop a few pounds to become a little faster.

12 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

He has one of the skills you can't teach a DB: ball skills.  He's one of the bigger CBs you'll see in terms of weight.  I mean, he's built well enough to play safety.  Maybe he can drop a few pounds to become a little faster.

His mockdraftable writeup is not inspiring.  

9 hours ago, varjet said:

His mockdraftable writeup is not inspiring.  

He's a good player.  The question is whether he's a CB or safety.  The Jets should know by now whether he's fast enough to play CB or if he needs to be safety.  Because if he's not fast enough to play CB, they should have moved him to FS and drafted a CB in round two.  This was a DEEP CB class and Burris at FS and a high draft pick at CB may have been the better move than to double dip at safety.  The way things are now, the Jets are locked into him at the CB position. 

On 5/27/2017 at 7:35 PM, Tinstar said:

The coaching staff that you haven't witness coach a single Jet game is all that .  Tell me, when you make statements, is they a voice in your head that talks to you ?

i haven't witnessed them coach a single game? Please remind me what I've been doing on Sundays for the past two years, because all I can remember is watching Jets football.

"Reflecting on 2016, defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers admitted he underutilized cornerbacks Darryl Roberts (275 snaps) and Juston Burris(178). We all know the reason why: The Jets refused to sit Darrelle Revis even though he performed at a substandard level. :angry:That was a tough call for the coaches, who didn't want to embarrass the former great.:blink: They could've scaled back his playing time gradually, making it less obvious, but they opted to keep him on the field for every down. In fact, Revis led the team with 889 defensive snaps."

Cowardly. They did the same thing with Cromartie back in 2015. This coaching staff is more worried about upsetting overpaid veterans than playing the best player.

23 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Until there is ACTUAL football to be played.

But you know what, if people are so opposed and tired of reading articles relating to the Jets during the DEAD period of the off season, then don't bother with the thread. There is NOTHING going on, so good luck trying to avoid reading puff "quota-filler" articles by local Jets beat reporters because everything at this point is speculation and conjecture until TC begins. Between the self-appointed "journalist" NFL bloggers and "Genius" analytics and Op-Eds posted by the motley dregs that "contribute" here with their snide remarks, you would think troll articles by the local beat writers would be a nice respite and at least the basis for debate amongst the local riffraff. 

To H3LL with Y'ALL!!!! Stay with Kelly's monotonous font article postings with no pictures!

p1.jpg?w=720

lol. :P

fine I am going to immerse my myself in Mehta's articles

or not

2 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

i haven't witnessed them coach a single game? Please remind me what I've been doing on Sundays for the past two years, because all I can remember is watching Jets football.

"Reflecting on 2016, defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers admitted he underutilized cornerbacks Darryl Roberts (275 snaps) and Juston Burris(178). We all know the reason why: The Jets refused to sit Darrelle Revis even though he performed at a substandard level. :angry:That was a tough call for the coaches, who didn't want to embarrass the former great.:blink: They could've scaled back his playing time gradually, making it less obvious, but they opted to keep him on the field for every down. In fact, Revis led the team with 889 defensive snaps."

Cowardly. They did the same thing with Cromartie back in 2015. This coaching staff is more worried about upsetting overpaid veterans than playing the best player.

Cro's 2015 season was better than any Jets DBs' 2016.

So after Revis quit using HGH, his game went down?  It wasn't the money.  It wasn't a wrist.   He just went from great to embarrassing in one season.  Our DC kept putting him out there.  Bowles a DB coach couldn't make the call?  SMH...

Glad Mevi$ is gone.

... do you work for cnn ?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Archived