CTE Found In 90% of Donated Brains

Adoni Beast

On 7/25/2017 at 7:42 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

That's an interesting proposal.  Would it be like boxing though where you "make weight" the night before and then gain 20 lbs overnight?

i don't know.  my feeling is that these guys are ultimately harming themselves, beyond the concussions and other injuries, and limited the weight by position would mean teams would be made up of more normal looking, and supposedly healthier,  men.  also the reduced weight will reduce the stress on knee joints, etc.  the game would be just as exciting.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The price you pay for money and fame in professional sports is damage to your body.   Legs, arms, brain, same thing.

This is no different than soldiers paying the price for financial security and early retirement through a career in the military.  Legs, arms, brain, same thing.

Physically violent occupations have high risks and high rewards.  It's a personal choice.

SAR I

39 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The price you pay for money and fame in professional sports is damage to your body.   Legs, arms, brain, same thing.

This is no different than soldiers paying the price for financial security and early retirement through a career in the military.  Legs, arms, brain, same thing.

Physically violent occupations have high risks and high rewards.  It's a personal choice.

SAR I

That's why I stick to eating. I ain't taking no chances.

20 hours ago, nycdan said:

Fair question.  Flawed and downright misguided research happens all the time.  This is what I do professionally (well some of what) and I see it constantly.  I'm not jumping to the conclusion yet either.  Just raising the question about how we might look at letting young men choose between short-term gain and long-term health and survival (if the conclusions become validated in a way most can agree on). 

I'm all about individual right to choose in most things, even if that means people making bad choices.  I even think people should be more responsible for their bad choices than many feel they should be.  But in this case, the carrot is so close and tasty, and the stick so far away, that I would question if, at the age of 20, an average man is going to be able to fully comprehend all of the factors.  Not saying most 30-year olds would do any better either :)

By the way, one more thought I had on this (that makes 3...a personal record!).  The NFL has a choice to make soon.  In the past they 'sponsored' biased research.  Much like the cigarette industry did in the past and the climate-change-deniers are doing today (whichever side of the debate you are on, there is some very lame 'research' being thrown around right now).  The NFL can choose to get real about the research and accept whatever the conclusions are and evolve the game, or it can continue to support the financially prudent position no matter what the facts are.  I hope its the first.  I really do.  The game can be modified and still be awesome.  But if the league goes into 'circle the wagons' mode on this, I think it will be far worse for them in the long run.

Great post. I agree with the idea that today you play knowing what you’re getting into now with all the info that’s been released, but that doesn’t mean the NFL doesn’t have an obligation to make the game safer.

Guys playing 20 years ago didn’t have the info, with doctors like Pellman saying “you’re good to go, there’s no link, if you have a concussion you’re not prone to others…etc “ was downright criminal.

The documentary League of Denial was eye opening for me specifically when you see CTE is found in teenagers who’d never had a recorded concussion. So it’s just the DNA of the game which causes damage. Saying “these guys are getting paid” is lame because kids all over the country are doing damage and a vast majority won’t get to that point where they get paid for taking the risk. Like you said, the impact of the risk you take are too far away for guys to think twice. The game has to change unfortunately.

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Free education at elite schools is pretty good compensation and they don't have to play football. It's their choice. 

Let's take it to a fully admittedly ridiculous extreme for a moment.

If you knew that you had a high risk of long-term brain trauma - let's say even just 50% - by playing college football, in exchange for which you get your education and degree fully paid for by the school, that would be okay because it's your choice.  That's pretty much how it works today except nobody can agree on what the risk is.

So what if a medical school offered you free tuition in exchange for you participating in drug trials with a lower risk of the exact same outcome.  The only difference I can see is that with the drug trial, there's no glory and no possibility of future pro-athlete money at stake.  But it should be okay because the students are making an informed choice still?

What if we take it further and offered students free tuition for donating a kidney.  You see where this goes.  Again, I love the game of football and do not look forward to what I think is coming, but there is going to be an all-out war over the future of football and I think all the NFL can do is delay it a few years or at most a decade.  My fear is the longer they delay, the worse it will be at the end.

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Free education at elite schools is pretty good compensation and they don't have to play football. It's their choice. 

Exactly.  This isn't a health issue.  It's a career choice issue.  There are people in the world who don't have the money or ability or intelligence or drive to make it in a less demanding career. 

My plumber is a great guy, snakes a drain like nobody's business, but he's as dumb as a brick, can't remember when his appointments are, doesn't follow up unless prodded, makes billing errors.  Same for my relative who was NYPD because he wasn't smart enough to get into a decent college and realized that risking physical harm in exchange for a steady paycheck and an early retirement was his only option.  Same for another relative who didn't have the money or brains to get any scholarships who chose the military to get a free education in exchange for dodging bullets overseas.  Same for another relative who put all his eggs in a sport career, was drafted by a MLB team, got cut after 2 years toiling in the minors, and even with his free Ivy League education can't get a decent job.

Those who say "player safety is paramount" are just denying the less intelligent the ability to make a living.  If CTE is the ruination of football, well, gun violence should end the police force, fire safety should end the fire department, mortar shells should disband the military, let's shut down the movie industry because stunt men get hurt sometimes, etc.  It's not for the public to decide what is or isn't safe, it's not for the public to decide how someone can or can't earn a living.  NFL players know the risks.  If they want to seek fame and fortune and glory, it's up to them

SAR I

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

LOL

That was funny but not what I meant.  What I meant was less physically demanding.  Like an accountant who sits at a desk all day and has no risk of pulled muscles, broken bones, or concussions in the course of his career. 

If you're smart, you get paid for your thoughts at a desk.  If you're dumb, you mop the floors at Show World.  If you're dumb but still want to make a futile effort to improve yourself you join the military.  If you're dumb but have a particular physical skill, you become a plumber or a football player.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

That was funny but not what I meant.  What I meant was less physically demanding.  Like an accountant who sits at a desk all day and has no risk of pulled muscles, broken bones, or concussions in the course of his career. 

If you're smart, you get paid for your thoughts at a desk.  If you're dumb, you mop the floors at Show World.  If you're dumb but still want to make a futile effort to improve yourself you join the military.  If you're dumb but have a particular physical skill, you become a plumber or a football player.

SAR I

Right.  There are no smart football players and no smart guys who wished they were football players.  ******* ridiculous theory.  I know you love to play the heel, but come the **** on.

Do you know how many people I have worked with who "make a living getting paid for their thoughts at a desk"?  Including me?  Do you know how many gave it a shot despite risks of "pulled muscles, broken bones, or concussions"?  

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Having served in the military for 10 years and have suffered  2 TBI 's (Traumatic Brain injuries) and  had multiple concussions, I knew the risk of joining the military. I don't know who you think you are to judge people who join the military as dumb. That's an ignorant and extremely arrogant  statement. I could have went to college instead but that's not what I wanted to do. I have read your posts for years on this board and on JI  and never had a problem with you but you are out of line with this one, just my opinion.

I wish I was able to make millions, live like a rockstar and get as much pu**y as possible by serving in the military.  I hate to see any of these players suffer long term damage do to playing football, especially those who's live long dream it's been since they were kids. These guys also are still able to play after committing serious crimes that any other working man would be fired for and would have a career. 

5 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Having served in the military for 10 years and have suffered  2 TBI 's (Traumatic Brain injuries) and  had multiple concussions, I knew the risk of joining the military. I don't know who you think you are to judge people who join the military as dumb. That's an ignorant and extremely arrogant  statement. I could have went to college instead but that's not what I wanted to do. I have read your posts for years on this board and on JI  and never had a problem with you but you are out of line with this one, just my opinion.

I wish I was able to make millions, live like a rockstar and get as much pu**y as possible by serving in the military.  I hate to see any of these players suffer long term damage do to playing football, especially those who's live long dream it's been since they were kids. These guys also are still able to play after committing serious crimes that any other working man would be fired for and would have a career. 

Do you think SAR has the brains and ability to get into West Point?   You think he's getting a congressional nomination?

Me either.  ;-).

Thanks for your service.  Some of the smartest people I've ever met served in the military. 

The news about John Urschel is particularly relevant here.  He played OL for the Ravens for 3 years...started some games last season so not a scrub.  Also a PhD from MIT and I guess he decided the risks weren't worth it so he retired.  Mind you he probably has oodles of career opportunities in business so an easier choice for him than most NFL players.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000822459/article/ravens-ol-john-urschel-opts-to-retire-from-football

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Do you think SAR has the brains and ability to get into West Point?   You think he's getting a congressional nomination?

Me either.  ;-).

Thanks for your service.  Some of the smartest people I've ever met served in the military. 

I Highly doubt it. I actually thinks he lives in his mother's basement. Thanks for the post, appreciate it.

10 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Right.  There are no smart football players and no smart guys who wished they were football players.  ******* ridiculous theory.  I know you love to play the heel, but come the **** on.

Do you know how many people I have worked with who "make a living getting paid for their thoughts at a desk"?  Including me?  Do you know how many gave it a shot despite risks of "pulled muscles, broken bones, or concussions"?  

Sure, 1% of football players might have been smart enough to make it in the real world, but the rest?  These are the morons with posse's who bleed their bank accounts dry, the people who buy $40,000 Rolexes and lose them in hotel rooms, the people who beat their wives, the people who hit and run, the people caught with weapons and arrested, the potheads who fail drug tests before training camp, the real cream of the moron crop.

If you're one of that 1%, qualifiying as a "smart guy who gave a pro career a shot and failed", that's great for you, awesome.  But let's not talk about niche exceptions here.  Let's talk about the group of NFL players who wouldn't be making $20,000 a year let alone $2M a year if they had no physical skills and had to pray for a gym teaching job or custodial work.

No different than police, firemen, soldiers.....the world is filled with people who can't rely on their smarts to make a living so they have to choose an alternate.  And some alternates feed their need to 1) feel like a boss and 2) retire early.  And those shortcuts in life come with dangerous physical hazards.

SAR I

10 hours ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Again, I generalize, I'm talking about the 99%.  If you're one of the 1% who didn't need a military career for financial security I apologize as I meant no insult but I was not referring to you.  We're not talking about the couple hundred exceptions; we're talking about the several hundred thousand who are the rule.

My point, simplified, is that as American's we are free to pursue any legal career we wish and we are fully aware of the consequences going in.  I don't think it took a CTE report to tell us that some NFL players have problems with their bones, their muscles, and their organs, one of which is the brain.  I certainly don't wish any harm to Wayne Chrebet or Al Toon, but they were beloved like rock stars for decades, were paid like rock stars for decades, and knew since they were children that contact sports are risky.

Thank you for your service.

SAR I

13 hours ago, SAR I said:

Sure, 1% of football players might have been smart enough to make it in the real world, but the rest?  These are the morons with posse's who bleed their bank accounts dry, the people who buy $40,000 Rolexes and lose them in hotel rooms, the people who beat their wives, the people who hit and run, the people caught with weapons and arrested, the potheads who fail drug tests before training camp, the real cream of the moron crop.

If you're one of that 1%, qualifiying as a "smart guy who gave a pro career a shot and failed", that's great for you, awesome.  But let's not talk about niche exceptions here.  Let's talk about the group of NFL players who wouldn't be making $20,000 a year let alone $2M a year if they had no physical skills and had to pray for a gym teaching job or custodial work.

No different than police, firemen, soldiers.....the world is filled with people who can't rely on their smarts to make a living so they have to choose an alternate.  And some alternates feed their need to 1) feel like a boss and 2) retire early.  And those shortcuts in life come with dangerous physical hazards.

SAR I

Rich men that have "made it in society" never beat their wives?  I would reply to this, but I don't feel like feeding this particular troll today.  Suffice it to say, I picture you at the JN tailgate while you spewed this sh*t and you look like this:

hqdefault.jpg

13 hours ago, SAR I said:

Again, I generalize, I'm talking about the 99%.  If you're one of the 1% who didn't need a military career for financial security I apologize as I meant no insult but I was not referring to you.  We're not talking about the couple hundred exceptions; we're talking about the several hundred thousand who are the rule.

My point, simplified, is that as American's we are free to pursue any legal career we wish and we are fully aware of the consequences going in.  I don't think it took a CTE report to tell us that some NFL players have problems with their bones, their muscles, and their organs, one of which is the brain.  I certainly don't wish any harm to Wayne Chrebet or Al Toon, but they were beloved like rock stars for decades, were paid like rock stars for decades, and knew since they were children that contact sports are risky.

Thank you for your service.

SAR I

Thank you SAR I. I am not insulted as I know there are many Vets on this board who could have taken it the wrong way, but I think 99% is a little high. I served with many that had degrees who weren't officers. I agree that if you plan on playing a contact sport like football you know there are risks of injury involved. When you are in your 20's and playing in the NFL, similar to being in the military most feel like they can run through a brick wall if need be. The players/service members, depending on their duties who don't show that kind of commitment are definitely noticed. 

39 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Rich men that have "made it in society" never beat their wives?  I would reply to this, but I don't feel like feeding this particular troll today.  Suffice it to say, I picture you at the JN tailgate while you spewed this sh*t and you look like this:

Here we go again, talking about the exceptions and not the rules.

As a group of 1,696 men, NFL players are not the smartest in the country, most have physical upsides that offset intellectual downsides, most leave the sport after an average of 3 years and go on to blue collar careers, a far cry from the millionaires they started out as originally whilst on the gridiron.  Sure, there are outliers who go on to successful careers.  The vast majority do not.  That's why they [the majority, not the outliers] take the risks involved with such a physical sport to begin with.  They risk damage to their legs, spines, and brains because they don't have alternatives.

SAR I

10 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

So, this thread is going well.

There are some topics in which there is no "nice way" to discuss it.  At least the debate has nothing to do with race, age, politics, or gender. 

If you are a 22 year old male, barely graduate from a college you had no business attending, and are fortunate enough to get a spot on an NFL roster, you take the chance that you might wind up a cripple or a Gump by age 40 or you make fries at McDowell's and preserve your health.

Period, the end.  We the fans have no say in the matter either way.  We don't pity them when they're bagging groceries and we don't pity them when they're making the Pro Bowl.  It's their choice.  It's their bank accounts, it's their bodies.  The CTE report means nothing.  Cigarette smoking and automobiles harm more ex-NFL players than concussions.

SAR I

19 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Here we go again, talking about the exceptions and not the rules.

As a group of 1,696 men, NFL players are not the smartest in the country, most have physical upsides that offset intellectual downsides, most leave the sport after an average of 3 years and go on to blue collar careers, a far cry from the millionaires they started out as originally whilst on the gridiron.  Sure, there are outliers who go on to successful careers.  The vast majority do not.  That's why they [the majority, not the outliers] take the risks involved with such a physical sport to begin with.  They risk damage to their legs, spines, and brains because they don't have alternatives.

SAR I

Please provide the study to back this up. 

13 minutes ago, SAR I said:

There are some topics in which there is no "nice way" to discuss it.  At least the debate has nothing to do with race, age, politics, or gender. 

If you are a 22 year old male, barely graduate from a college you had no business attending, and are fortunate enough to get a spot on an NFL roster, you take the chance that you might wind up a cripple or a Gump by age 40 or you make fries at McDowell's and preserve your health.

Period, the end.  We the fans have no say in the matter either way.  We don't pity them when they're bagging groceries and we don't pity them when they're making the Pro Bowl.  It's their choice.  It's their bank accounts, it's their bodies.  The CTE report means nothing.  Cigarette smoking and automobiles harm more ex-NFL players than concussions.

SAR I

It is not generally the way I think, but there are those that would suggest that is exactly what we are discussing.  

We have laws to protect us all.  Just using your two points.  There are seat belt laws and tons of safety mandates in the auto industry. Motorcycle helmet laws if you go MV instead of just "automobile." Cigarettes have tons of warnings, forced "protective advertising" and are taxed an ungodly amount to discourage smoking. That is all okay, but after we protect them from cars and cigarettes - let them turn their brains to mush for our entertainment.  

By the way, while you are pushing your survival of the fittest analogy and social Darwinism, remember if we truly let everybody do what they wanted, the football players would just come eat your lunch and drive your leased 3 series.  Good luck trying to stop them without the rest of society protecting you. 

46 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Please provide the study to back this up. 

It is not generally the way I think, but there are those that would suggest that is exactly what we are discussing.  

We have laws to protect us all.  Just using your two points.  There are seat belt laws and tons of safety mandates in the auto industry. Motorcycle helmet laws if you go MV instead of just "automobile." Cigarettes have tons of warnings, forced "protective advertising" and are taxed an ungodly amount to discourage smoking. That is all okay, but after we protect them from cars and cigarettes - let them turn their brains to mush for our entertainment.  

I don't need a study to back up my assertion that most ex-NFL players wind up in low paying jobs and don't have established six-figure careers thereafter.  You provide me the study that says the opposite.

We have laws to protect us from complex industries with dozens of manufacturers and thousands of subcontractors.  Typical automobile has 30,000 parts made by about 500 different suppliers.  They need regulation, inspection, laws.  The NFL has regulations to its business practices, and the equipment suppliers have stringent regulations and standards to adhere to, but you're saying, what?  That the players themselves need regulating?  They need a government body telling them that they might get hurt playing football?  It's common sense.  Or are you saying that football players [outliers excepted] are stupid like I am saying and need a warning label on their foreheads like airbag warnings on sun visors so they're reminded of this every morning they get up to brush their teeth?

They need someone to tell them, hey, don't sign that piece of paper worth $1.5 million dollars and new cars and new houses and hot girlfriends and national fame and a spot on TV every Sunday.  It's bad for you!  Give me a break.  Tell me how you can regulate football when you can't regulate war or street crime.

Lastly,  they are not there for "our entertainment".  This isn't like me hiring a clown for my son's birthday party.  The NFL is big business.  Owners are selfish, players are selfish, they are in it for themselves, they do what they do to make gigantic amounts of money.  We fans merely get invited to watch them practice their profession.

SAR I

This is ******* ridiculous.  You can't possibly be this obtuse.  What I am saying, and what I have been saying all along, is that if NFL football causes 90% of participants to get CTE something has to be done.  Everyone knows football is dangerous, but nobody, literally NOT ONE PERSON, believes that 90% will end up with chronic, permanent, serious brain injury.  If they do something must be done and it will be done.  Doesn't matter if we, as spectators, like it or not.  

I picture myself in 5 years sounding like Concrete Charlie bemoaning the current state of football and how everybody is a pansy now.  I'm 3/4 of the way there now. 

PS: The NFL is big business, not quite as big as the auto industry, but big.  Therefore, it can, and will, be regulated.  There is enough of an issue with them winning the anti-trust suits.  

PSS: Give me your lunch.   

12 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

This is ******* ridiculous.  You can't possibly be this obtuse.  What I am saying, and what I have been saying all along, is that if NFL football causes 90% of participants to get CTE something has to be done.  Everyone knows football is dangerous, but nobody, literally NOT ONE PERSON, believes that 90% will end up with chronic, permanent, serious brain injury.  If they do something must be done and it will be done.  Doesn't matter if we, as spectators, like it or not.  

I picture myself in 5 years sounding like Concrete Charlie bemoaning the current state of football and how everybody is a pansy now.  I'm 3/4 of the way there now. 

PS: The NFL is big business, not quite as big as the auto industry, but big.  Therefore, it can, and will, be regulated.  There is enough of an issue with them winning the anti-trust suits.  

PSS: Give me your lunch.   

....and what I'm saying is that, no, nothing needs to be done.

If 100% of NFL football players get CTE, that's their choice, that's up to them.  If for fame and fortune it's their best/only route, it's not for us to tell they they can't pursue an NFL career.

Outlaw guns.  Outlaw knives.  Outlaw cigarette smoking.  Outlaw alcohol.  Outlaw wingsuits.  These are very dangerous.  We as a people should shut them down.  Or, nah, let's give everyone every chance to be informed and clear on the risks and do whatever the hell they want.  This is America.

If you feel guilty because you are getting entertainment value out of heath risks others are taking on their own behalf, that's on you, not them, not the rest of us.  Switch from football to chess.  It's on TV.  You can even tailgate.  In a cheap pickup truck.

SAR I

Plenty of jobs have their risk of injury or death. Police make nice $$ and after 25 years can retire with a pension. Some take the risk for the pension and retirement income.  You know the risks with anything you do, but choose to do it anyway.  Watch a episode of Deadliest Catch and look what they do for less than $100k per year.  Life is risk/reward....

8 minutes ago, FlagmanL11 said:

Plenty of jobs have their risk of injury or death. Police make nice $$ and after 25 years can retire with a pension. Some take the risk for the pension and retirement income.  You know the risks with anything you do, but choose to do it anyway.  Watch a episode of Deadliest Catch and look what they do for less than $100k per year.  Life is risk/reward....

Thank you, Flagman.  Simple concept, right?  No one needed the CTE report to know what's going on here. 

At the end of this his 9th season, Mark Sanchez will have earned $41.7 million dollars in base salary and $16.5 in bonuses.  That's $58.2 million dollars for being a below average quarterback.  But he's a first rounder.  Let's look elsewhere.

At the end of this his 5th season, Tanner Purdum will have earned $4.2 million dollars, that's $840,000 a year to snap the ball 15 plays a game.  Tanner is making 20 years salary as a train conductor or a supermarket manager in a single season.  He can move back to Enid, Oklahoma and he's set for life.  Can buy a nice farm, or can watch the grass grow.

It's not for the American people to tell these athletes what risks to take with their bodies.  If I had the ability to play football, I'd do the same thing.  Wouldn't you?  Forgetting your cousins first name and taking a few Excedrin each week might be worth it for $840,000 a year, 5 years of hard work, then 60 years of retirement.

SAR I

Archived