Sign in to follow this  
Joe W. Namath

Scouting the qbs for next year thread

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So let's go after the next Manziel/tebow/RG3? Worked wonders for those teams....

Well you're the one who wants to pass on Lamar Jackson for another stiff QB or defensive player if we end up with the 10th pick overall or some crappy draft position.  Guess you didn't like Kizer, Mahomes and Watson either.

And comparing Lamar Jackson to Tim Tebow as a passer is laughable.

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

We drafted two of those in the past 3 years.  Worked out wonders for us.

Need to draft GOOD pocket passers.  Anyone who owned a pair of eyes and had a brain could see Hacknsack sucked balls.

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

That's my main complaint with Jackson. He rushed for an incredible 1500 yards last year and started the year rushing for 100 yards. The kid is an all time great college QB, but being a running QB in the NFL with his frame is a recipe for a short career. RG3 was incredible until he took a few NFL hits and then it fell apart.

Let someone else take him, ride the wave of a few good years while we take a pro-typical pocket passer that will be lead this team for 15 years. 

First off, RGIII isnt in the league because, by most accounts, he's a selfish, aloof guy who cant command respect in the lockerroom and doesnt put time into the playbook.  He got hurt because he had no sense of when to slide and couldnt protect himself once he left the pocket.

I agree that being a running QB is obviously more dangerous then being a pocket passer, however from what Ive read about Jackson, is that he is much more of a pocket passer then he gets credit for, is constantly working on that part of his game, and just happens to be able to be an excellent runner on top of that.  Will be interesting to watch his development over the course of the season

Just now, Philc1 said:

Well you're the one who wants to pass on Lamar Jackson for another stiff QB or defensive player if we end up with the 10th pick overall or some crappy draft position.  Guess you didn't like Kizer, Mahomes and Watson either.

Relax for a minute and sort through my posts and find the one where I said I wanted a defensive player next year? I was one of the first ones on this board begging the Jets to tank for Darnold or any other POCKET QB. 

As for Mahomes, just because he is black doesn't mean he is anything like Jackson. He is a far better arm and wasn't a running QB in college. Jackson had more yards rushing last year than Mahommes had in 3 years of college football. You clearly know nothing about college football and just ranting for the sake of ranting which is what this forum is slowly turning into because this team will be awful this year. I'll let you have the last word, try not to mess it up like your last few posts. 

6 minutes ago, SpartanJet said:

Need to draft GOOD pocket passers.  Anyone who owned a pair of eyes and had a brain could see Hacknsack sucked balls.

Exactly. Just because Hack may suck doesn't mean Tom Brady isn't any good. But in Philc's world all pocket passers are bad because of Hack. Solid logic. 

6 minutes ago, SpartanJet said:

I've been saying for two years Hack sucks.  Yes, a good pocket passer would be nice but passing on Lamar Jackson because he runs too much is just dumb.

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Exactly. Just because Hack may suck doesn't mean Tom Brady isn't any good. But in Philc's world all pocket passers are bad because of Hack. Solid logic. 

In your world we should pass on Lamar Jackson because of RG3, a different player on a different team who was never even good to begin with.

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Relax for a minute and sort through my posts and find the one where I said I wanted a defensive player next year? I was one of the first ones on this board begging the Jets to tank for Darnold or any other POCKET QB. 

As for Mahomes, just because he is black doesn't mean he is anything like Jackson. He is a far better arm and wasn't a running QB in college. Jackson had more yards rushing last year than Mahommes had in 3 years of college football. You clearly know nothing about college football and just ranting for the sake of ranting which is what this forum is slowly turning into because this team will be awful this year. I'll let you have the last word, try not to mess it up like your last few posts. 

I don't care what type of QB we get I just want one who isn't mediocre or worse.  There are plenty of great pocket passers as well as great "running qb's"  For every Brady there is a Russell Wilson.  By your logic we would turn down a young Steve Young because he's a running qb and might get hurt.

9 minutes ago, BCJet said:

First off, RGIII isnt in the league because, by most accounts, he's a selfish, aloof guy who cant command respect in the lockerroom and doesnt put time into the playbook.  He got hurt because he had no sense of when to slide and couldnt protect himself once he left the pocket.

I agree that being a running QB is obviously more dangerous then being a pocket passer, however from what Ive read about Jackson, is that he is much more of a pocket passer then he gets credit for, is constantly working on that part of his game, and just happens to be able to be an excellent runner on top of that.  Will be interesting to watch his development over the course of the season

Good for him. But when you rush for 100 yards a game as a QB teams defend you differently so your passing skills look better than they are. Meanwhile, he was still only completing passes at a 56pct clip last year. What happens when he comes to the NFL and he tries to run, with his frail frame and gets hurt and then needs to rely solely on his arm. What have you seen from him to think he has elite passing skills? 

If I am tanking for a QB, I don't want a QB that is "working" his passing. I want a guy that is already an elite passer. Again, if I was building a college football team I would take Jackson #1 in a heartbeat. But the NFL is a different world. Running QBs don't last long and Jackson's best skill, for now, is running. 

7 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Jackson is a rail thin qb who's strength is to run, how long do you think he'll last.

Has trouble with accuracy, and whips it, with zero touch.

Falk was a 2 star recruit that nobody wanted, steps in here and now is a first round qb, maybe but history tells us it's the system.

and I watch a lot more college than pro ball

Really? Cause when you say things like "trouble with accuracy and zero touch" it makes me think you're either full of sh*t, or you don't know what to look for.

And honestly, it's hard to listen to anyone that thinks any of these guys are as black and white as you're suggesting... to be so absolute, it's not a good look. .....and even now, you're speculating about Falk and the system. I don't think you know a thing about Falk. I think you know who Coach Leach is, you've watched some youtube clips and you're passing judgement over him -- the guy who's nothing more than an air raid QB... like that bum Mahomes who got drafted at the top of 1 last year. If we all listen to you -- Mahomes would have went undrafted. 

51 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Really? Cause when you say things like "trouble with accuracy and zero touch" it makes me think you're either full of sh*t, or you don't know what to look for.

And honestly, it's hard to listen to anyone that thinks any of these guys are as black and white as you're suggesting... to be so absolute, it's not a good look. .....and even now, you're speculating about Falk and the system. I don't think you know a thing about Falk. I think you know who Coach Leach is, you've watched some youtube clips and you're passing judgement over him -- the guy who's nothing more than an air raid QB... like that bum Mahomes who got drafted at the top of 1 last year. If we all listen to you -- Mahomes would have went undrafted. 

Not a good look??!, I'm just stating what I feel about the prospects.

and so far you basically called me a rascist because I couldn't stomach a " mobile" qb

and now you are calling me full of sh$t.

ive seen you do this with other people, but i don't play these game bro.

First time going to have to put someone on ignore.

Hope I can figure out how to do it

Not a good look??!, I'm just stating what I feel about the prospects.
and so far you basically called me a rascist because I couldn't stomach a " mobile" qb
and now you are calling me full of sh$t.
ive seen you do this with other people, but i don't play these game bro.
First time going to have to put someone on ignore.
Hope I can figure out how to do it

Hold on now, I didn't mean to come across suggesting you're those things. Point taken I'm not trying to be that heavy handed, I just really disagree with the reasons we coming to your conclusions. Everyone's entitled to their own perspective and opinion. I don't mean to suggest that you have no right to yours and I'm the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still too early to seriously scratch any QB off the list imo. I'd wait for the later part of the schedule to see what they can do once the early season kinks are worked out and they are playing through conference schedules.

I'm very interested in the USC/UCLA clash at the end of the year to see how Darnold and Rosen compete against each other.

Louisville vs FSU/Clemson should be good games to see how far Jackson has come as a passer since those will likely be the best defenses he plays this year.

Haven't seen much of the other QBs yet. I'll be tuning in to Clemson/Auburn this weekend to check out Stidham

10 hours ago, A.J. said:

Still too early to seriously scratch any QB off the list imo. I'd wait for the later part of the schedule to see what they can do once the early season kinks are worked out and they are playing through conference schedules.

I'm very interested in the USC/UCLA clash at the end of the year to see how Darnold and Rosen compete against each other.

Louisville vs FSU/Clemson should be good games to see how far Jackson has come as a passer since those will likely be the best defenses he plays this year.

Haven't seen much of the other QBs yet. I'll be tuning in to Clemson/Auburn this weekend to check out Stidham

This weekend, USC Plays Stanford . I'm interested .  My Auburn Tigers play Clemson, and I'm interested in Stidham . Oklahoma plays the Ohio State in a revenge game to see if the little big man can make a move up .

My curiosity will take me to Louisville and North Carolina sometimes .  It's going to be a long season, and some fun matchups . I'm interested in seeing these QBs against better competition or even matchups, not playing against weak sisters .

On 9/6/2017 at 4:33 PM, Philc1 said:

I've been saying for two years Hack sucks.  Yes, a good pocket passer would be nice but passing on Lamar Jackson because he runs too much is just dumb.

Dependingo it wouldn't.  I'm a fan of Lamar's but if he can't stand tall in the pocket, he won't last long in the league. Look at Kaepernick, RGIII, Manziel, etc .  If you want to win a championship in this league, you need a pocket passing QB.  If Jackson proves he can do that, then I'm all for taking him.  So far his progress is good.  That said, I want to see him go through progressions, read more than one half of the field before taking off and running before we blow a top 3 pick on him.  He's firmly my 5th QB behind all of Rosen, Darnold, Rudolph, Falk right now.  Maybe even 6th behind Baker Mayfield too.

On 9/6/2017 at 4:35 PM, Philc1 said:

I don't care what type of QB we get I just want one who isn't mediocre or worse.  There are plenty of great pocket passers as well as great "running qb's"  For every Brady there is a Russell Wilson.  By your logic we would turn down a young Steve Young because he's a running qb and might get hurt.

Russell Wilson is a pocket passer first and foremost.  That's why he has a ring from his 1of his 2 Super Bowl appearances.  The best "running" QB, right now, is Cam Newton and his biggest weakness, one that cost him a ring, is that he hasn't matured into a pure pocket passer yet.

On 9/6/2017 at 4:25 PM, Philc1 said:

And comparing Lamar Jackson to Tim Tebow as a passer is laughable.

Not him, but nope.

Jackson is a far better passer than Tebow, but you can say Petriono develops system QB's. Personally would rate him a project with positive potentiall 

12 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

PASSING COMP ATT PCT YDS TD INT QBR
Rudolph 20 29 69.0 276 2 0 171.7

Looking good so far (halftime) but this seems like a mismatch of teams

I only saw the 1st 2 drives. Great motion and quick release. Very accurate

I was impressed

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

I was impressed

176 passes since his last interception

Russell Wilson holds the Power 5 record with 379 passes in between interceptions.

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

I was impressed

Rudolph looks like a big guy with a strong arm that takes control of his huddle.  But...

You can't really judge these guys when they play schools like S.AL.  That school has only had a football team for like 10 years.  They couldn't put any pressure on Rudolph at all.  I know it's not his fault, but there's nothing you learned watching him today, that you couldn't learn by watching OK St. practice.

Similar to what Baker Mayfield and Drew Lock played against last week.

But just like Darnold and Rosen last week, Darnold, Mayfield, and Stidham have very tough games tomorrow.  I want to see how these guys play while dealing with adverse conditions.  How do they play while under duress?  How do they run an up tempo no huddle while playing from behind?

1 hour ago, Pcola said:

Rudolph looks like a big guy with a strong arm that takes control of his huddle.  But...

You can't really judge these guys when they play schools like S.AL.  That school has only had a football team for like 10 years.  They couldn't put any pressure on Rudolph at all.  I know it's not his fault, but there's nothing you learned watching him today, that you couldn't learn by watching OK St. practice.

Similar to what Baker Mayfield and Drew Lock played against last week.

But just like Darnold and Rosen last week, Darnold, Mayfield, and Stidham have very tough games tomorrow.  I want to see how these guys play while dealing with adverse conditions.  How do they play while under duress?  How do they run an up tempo no huddle while playing from behind?

Call me crazy, but I don't think Rudolf has a strong arm .

8 hours ago, Tinstar said:

His offense doesn't require him to throw the ball down the field very much but on his throws in the 10-15 yard range did have some zip on them.  I haven't seen him enough yet to have an informed opinion.  Again, against a team like that, he didn't get pressured at all and for most of the throws, he didn't have to very deep in his progressions.

I still think he currently well behind the Cali Kids.

8 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Rudolph is in a straight up "gimmick" offense where he never huddles, looks
to the sideline for the play and claps his hands to snap the ball.  It's
going to take a ton of projection to determine if he can make it at the
next level.  Nice size but I'm not sure about his arm strength

On 9/6/2017 at 4:34 PM, Philc1 said:

In your world we should pass on Lamar Jackson because of RG3, a different player on a different team who was never even good to begin with.

RG3 was on his way to being one of the best qbs in the league before the injury.  He knee was never the same and he could not play anymore because of it.