'Day Without a Gay' set for Wednesday

Lil Bit Special

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/ny-usgay1210,0,7602187.story

Homosexuals urged to skip work

—John Keilman December 9, 2008

The HR office has probably never encountered this before: People across the country are being urged to skip work Wednesday after calling in "gay."

The loosely organized protest, called "Day Without a Gay," (www.daywithoutagay.org) is intended as a statement against California's ban on same-sex marriage, along with other political developments considered anti-gay.

Some are calling for a boycott of all economic activity to highlight the gay community's financial power. Others want gays and lesbians to spend the day volunteering for worthy causes to demonstrate their compassion, which could win new sympathy to their cause.

In Chicago, the Gay Liberation Network has called for an 11 a.m. rally outside the County Building, 118 N. Clark St., to call for granting marriage licenses to same-sex couples. Network co-founder Andy Thayer said he didn't expect people to actually "call in gay," but added that "many people will find one way or the other to not be in work that day, because we're sick of being treated like second-class citizens."

The motto has stirred a tempest of online debate about the wisdom of skipping work during a recession. Sean Hetherington, a West Hollywood, Calif., comic and personal trainer who helped devise the event, said the slogan wasn't meant to be taken literally. But noting the flood of media attention it has attracted, he was unapologetic.

"I'm happy with the way we did it," he said. "We're keeping gay people in the spotlight."

jets rule just called off work.

sad nobody will have fries tonight.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

WHAT A BUNCH OF ATTENTION WHORES.

I hope this country can manage without them for an entire day.

How will TLC and HGTV be able to fill their programming slots for the day?

Speaking of filling slots............

If the department banned you for something you felt was who you were... (lets just say red hair) would you just sit back and smile or try to create a scene?

NOt saying it is right or wrong... just trying to help you see a perspective you obvious cant grasp.

If the department banned you for something you felt was who you were... (lets just say red hair) would you just sit back and smile or try to create a scene?

NOt saying it is right or wrong... just trying to help you see a perspective you obvious cant grasp.

I can care less what people do in their private lives, but when they want special rights for their choices, I'm not going to sit back and put up with it.

I can care less what people do in their private lives, but when they want special rights for their choices, I'm not going to sit back and put up with it.

They don't feel it's a choice though, that's what your failing to see... that's why I tried to use your hair color as an example so you could see it through their eyes...

Your situation...

Your Hair doesn't have to be red, but your born with it that way...

Their Situation...

They don't have to be gay, but they are born that way...

I know It's a stupid example and again I am not trying to take a side here... just trying to help you see why to them its not asking for special rights...

Archived