Jets offer $4 mil per year to Kemoeatu

BroadwayJ667

While most of the attention has focused on Ray Lewis and Bart Scott, the Jets have made an offer to Steelers G Chris Kemoeatu, according to a league source. The offer is believed to be at least $4 million-per-year.

They're targeting the massive Kemoeatu (6-3, 344) as the replacement for RG Brandon Moore, who was released yesterday. Kemo is said to be considering an offer from the Steelers.

Interestingly, Kemo started at left guard, replacing Alan Faneca, who signed with the Jets last offseason.

-cimini

Wait... I thought most people were under the impression that the front office was clueless and had no plan.

No plan. Tannenbaum is an accountant. We need a football guy like Mike Ditka in charge of player personnel.

Haha.

I was holding off until hopefully Kemo said yes to do this but seriously, I've never seen a larger collective group of whiners and nancies in my life.

Even if we don't sign Kemoeatu...you don't pay Brandon friggin' Moore $8M for one season and leave the stage set for him to hold out in 2010.

This sentence makes sense if he couldn't hold out in 2010. Holding out wouldn't do him that great in 2010 though if it's an uncapped year because I believe that caps raises.

However, Moore is JAG. you don't pay JAG 8M

Even if we don't sign Kemoeatu...you don't pay Brandon friggin' Moore $8M for one season and leave the stage set for him to hold out in 2010.

I agree 1,000% my friend, but the hilarity of the whole Brandon Moore releasing being the end of the world was so funny that it doesn't have me thinking straight right now. :Nuts:

It's not that people thought Tanny lacked a plan.

For me,my criticism was with giving Tanny the benefit of the doubt that he had a plan because he's shown in the past that he makes moves with & without plans.

That said, this is still a gamble because if the mad Haiwain doesn't take the Jets deal Tanny would look silly. It only works if they sign their guy.

For me,my criticism was with giving Tanny the benefit of the doubt that he had a plan because he's shown in the past that he makes moves with & without plans.

That said, this is still a gamble because if the mad Haiwain doesn't take the Jets deal Tanny would look silly. It only works if they sign their guy.

That is so not true. There are other free agent guards out there that would still be an upgrade from Moore.

not to mention 3X better.

is he really? idk if he was part of the problem or not... but the steelers line can'y pass block for sh*t. if it weren't for ben's uncanny ability for avoiding sacks and making plays when it looks like he's a goner then the steelers line would've been cited as the reason they didn't win. because thyey wouldn't have won without ben's ability to do what he does.

Younger & cheaper? Who?

Why do they have to be younger and cheaper? They can be same age or older and more expensive if you ask me. As long as it is a better player who is actually WORTH the money he's being paid.

And again, you my friend are one of my favorite Jets posters between both sites (top 3 easy), but all you were saying was, "Stupid." You weren't saying, "Stupid to give Tanny the benefit of the doubt because ...." If you ever did, I apologize in advance. But I didn't see it.

While Tanny was here during it, the "Kendall situation" was on Mangini and his childishness. Yes Tanny was here, but he had Kendall signed, camp was beginning, Kendall began complaining. If Mangini didn't pull his bullsh1t kid games like assigning Kendall to the rookie dorms and all that other bullsh1t, the situation would have been a lot different for Tanny to do what he does best and try to come to some kind of mutually satisfying agreement. By Mangini being an immature 3 year old, Tanny was put in a can't-win situation well after any Guard worth a damn was signed by every other team in the NFL.

Could Tanny have intervened in a different way during it all? Probably. But that situation was out of control (because of Eric - just look what he's doing in Cleveland with Shaun Rogers right now - you don't see any of that going on here in NY with Tanny still here and Eric gone). You can't fault him for that.

Why do they have to be younger and cheaper? They can be same age or older and more expensive if you ask me. As long as it is a better player who is actually WORTH the money he's being paid.

And again, you my friend are one of my favorite Jets posters between both sites (top 3 easy), but all you were saying was, "Stupid." You weren't saying, "Stupid to give Tanny the benefit of the doubt because ...." If you ever did, I apologize in advance. But I didn't see it.

While Tanny was here during it, the "Kendall situation" was on Mangini and his childishness. Yes Tanny was here, but he had Kendall signed, camp was beginning, Kendall began complaining. If Mangini didn't pull his bullsh1t kid games like assigning Kendall to the rookie dorms and all that other bullsh1t, the situation would have been a lot different for Tanny to do what he does best and try to come to some kind of mutually satisfying agreement. By Mangini being an immature 3 year old, Tanny was put in a can't-win situation well after any Guard worth a damn was signed by every other team in the NFL.

Could Tanny have intervened in a different way during it all? Probably. But that situation was out of control (because of Eric - just look what he's doing in Cleveland with Shaun Rogers right now - you don't see any of that going on here in NY with Tanny still here and Eric gone). You can't fault him for that.

not to mention the shenanigans he's pulling with Brady Quinn, and he was probably behind that ridiculous Braylon Edwards rumor

is he really? idk if he was part of the problem or not... but the steelers line can'y pass block for sh*t. if it weren't for ben's uncanny ability for avoiding sacks and making plays when it looks like he's a goner then the steelers line would've been cited as the reason they didn't win. because thyey wouldn't have won without ben's ability to do what he does.

and neither can moore. Look, you can replace Moore via FA or the draft.. you don't spend 8M on Moore

It doesnt matter who you sign, you still don't spend 7 or 8 million dollars on BRANDON FREAKIN MOORE. A role player at best.

Especially when he is set to make only $780,000 next year. There is ZERO CHANCE he's playing for that amount next year. No starting guard in the NFL would. That means the chances of him holding out and/or demanding a new contract and/or a trade are 100%.

You don't pay a man who is not worth over $7M for one year just to have him hold out or demand a trade the very next year.

Why a smart guy like SMC can't understand this is unfathomable to me. :confused:

That was my arguement. Why not wait till we actually signed another guard before dumping Moore ? We had NOTHING to lose by waiting.

and neither can moore. Look, you can replace Moore via FA or the draft.. you don't spend 8M on Moore

not saying moore was worth 8 million or not. i'm just questioning whether or not kemoeatu is really better than him or not. because personally i think that if we're gonna sign a guy to replace him than he should be a better player. otherwise what was the reason to create the hole that wasn't there to begin with? especially when the guy we had was willing to restructure.

especially when the guy we had was willing to restructure.

We couldn't renegotiate Moore's contract. Due to the cba expiring there are percentage limits to how much more money year over year a player can make over his previous cap number. If we spread his $7m over the remaining three years it would have put his contract in violation of the cba.

We could not restructure no matter what.

Especially when he is set to make only $780,000 next year. There is ZERO CHANCE he's playing for that amount next year. No starting guard in the NFL would. That means the chances of him holding out and/or demanding a new contract and/or a trade are 100%.

You don't pay a man who is not worth over $7M for one year just to have him hold out or demand a trade the very next year.

Why a smart guy like SMC can't understand this is unfathomable to me. :confused:

If he was under contract with us and we play in an uncapped year, he wouldn't have a leg to stand on. There are rules for raises.

I liked Moore but he was overrated and he is not an 8m a year lineman.

Anyone who said Moore was a good guard was not overrating him. He was not great (i.e. - pro bowl material). I never disagreed that he was going to be overpaid for this year. I was just concerned about his replacement. If they indeed sign Kemoeatu, I think this will turn out to be a very good move. Kudos to Mr. T once again.

Anyone who said Moore was a good guard was not overrating him. He was not great (i.e. - pro bowl material). I never disagreed that he was going to be overpaid for this year. I was just concerned about his replacement. If they indeed sign Kemoeatu, I think this will turn out to be a very good move. Kudos to Mr. T once again.

If you look back at the reaction a good number of people were considering him a "beast" while some objective fans viewed him as a good player who was not worth the cap hit. You were probably one of the objective ones.

...and yes if they replace him with Kemoeatu it is a nice long term upgrade IMO.

Anyone who said Moore was a good guard was not overrating him. He was not great (i.e. - pro bowl material). I never disagreed that he was going to be overpaid for this year. I was just concerned about his replacement.

And chemistry on an OL isn't to be overlooked, either. I'd've preferred them to work something out with Moore, still. I try to only be knee-jerky in one direction. :P

This would certainly be a solid running game addition, though. We'll see what happens. Outside of the guard Buffalo just released, I don't know too many of the other names out there. If this is the guy they want, let's just hope they get it done.

And chemistry on an OL isn't to be overlooked, either. I'd've preferred them to work something out with Moore, still. I try to only be knee-jerky in one direction. :P

This would certainly be a solid running game addition, though. We'll see what happens. Outside of the guard Buffalo just released, I don't know too many of the other names out there. If this is the guy they want, let's just hope they get it done.

We totally had difficulty with chemistry last year because we added 2 new lineman, and a new Fullback last Season. Not saying that Chemistry isn't important, but it's also often quite overrated by certain fans.

Archived