jets team needs

bitonti

this thread is attempting to draw up Tanny's shopping list this offseason.

JMO the Jets probably aggressively looking for players who can help (tanny making contracts like signings, trades, draft picks) @ CB, WR, DE, blocking TE, ILB, FB, P.

They will go cheap camp FAs that rex ryan loves @ QB, RB, OL, NT, DE, receiving TE, OLB, S, PK, LS

in other words, the Jets would be oK with standing pat more or less at those spots.

thoughts?

JMO the Jets probably aggressively looking for players who can help (tanny making contracts like signings, trades, draft picks) @ CB, WR, DE, blocking TE, ILB, FB, P.

They will go cheap camp FAs that rex ryan loves @ QB, RB, OL, NT, DE, receiving TE, OLB, S, PK, LS

in other words, the Jets would be oK with standing pat more or less at those spots.

thoughts?

I don't think that we are going to have much of a choice if it is a uncapped year according to what I have been reading. I'm not sure if we can trade up. Other then that.

CB is our 1st priority!

DL is our 2nd... The line is old!!!

WR 3rd.

Depth on OL

TE

Of course all this could change if Rhodes is gone.

I don't think that we are going to have much of a choice if it is a uncapped year according to what I have been reading. I'm not sure if we can trade up. Other then that.

CB is our 1st priority!

DL is our 2nd... The line is old!!!

WR 3rd.

Depth on OL

TE

Of course all this could change if Rhodes is gone.

A pass rusher helps every defensive back on the field, mind you we already have one shutdown corner that takes away half of the field. How is it that a CB is priority over a pass rusher in our particular situation?

We really need some OLine depth

I really think when BIG JENKS comes back, alot of our problems on pressuring the QB will take care of itself

I'd like to seee the following

OLine

CB

DLine

S

WR

I love that Iupati guard from Idaho......man crush, non gay

But we're not drafting a corner in the first. I will be happy taking a wide receiver or safety in the event that Rhodes is traded. DE and OLB will probably be addressed in the subsequent rounds, and QB, TE and OL depth via free agency. CB could be tricky and I won't be surprised to see Lito come back, but otherwise I think we'll be looking at free agency as the draft is thin. But it's always a possibility in the second or third round.

Our pass rush needs to be shored up absolutely, but is in no way as problematic as people are making it sound. It worked up until the last game when we went up against the least sacked player in the NFL with injuries at NT, DE, and ILB so I don't think it's our biggest priority. And there is no defense for the perfect pass, unless you're Darrelle Revis of course. Wide receiver is a bigger priority because we are just so thin and after Edwards, Cotch and Keller there's no one that can catch a cold, let along an NFL pass. We need a good route runner who can bail Sanchez out on third and longs and I believe we are really just one player away from having that dynamic passing game that can develop for the next decade. Teams are doubling Cotchery, Edwards only seems effective on longballs or he drops it, and Keller has a big target on his back and as a result usually draws a lot of attention, but one more receiver would force opposing teams to use a number three corner in single coverage and this would make the biggest impact on our offense.

Mel Kiper has posted a further assessment on his mock draft addressing needs and the likely targeted players for all the teams, if anyone is an insider that can post his article it would be helpful. http://www.jetnation.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

thoughts?

I pretty much agree. I think CB and WR are far and away the most important. I think the defensive line needs are overstated. We saw this year that you can pretty much plug in anybody without losing too much. Some youth and depth would be nice, but 3-4 Dline is an old man's game.

FB basically depends on TRich. If they don't bring him back they should bring in somebody that can catch (ala Sowell). They started trying to throw to Richardson lately and it was ugly. Jones and Greene may be worse. It'd be nice to have an every down back that could catch.

As for blocking TE, do you think they'll bring Hartsock and Mulligan back? They seem to like both.

I think the team always brings in cheap camp FAs at every position, so I don't see much point in going through that list, but I think safety will be more of a priority. they are going to try to upgrade for sure.

A pass rusher helps every defensive back on the field, mind you we already have one shutdown corner that takes away half of the field. How is it that a CB is priority over a pass rusher in our particular situation?

I love Graham as much as the next guy, but I really just don't see where he, or any other OLB, is gonna get any burn, when {ace and Thomas are already guaranteed to be starting.

I'm not against going OLB with our first pick, if it's the best value there, but I feel if there is equal value in CB and OLB at our pick, we're gonna go CB.

What can we expect to get for Kerry Rhodes? I have no idea what his value is at this point. Can we get a replacement safety, a solid number 2 corner or a draft pick and what round? Obviously not a first, but a second maybe?

trading Kerry Rhodes for a draft pick doesn't improve the Jets. It makes them worse.

I agree with Bit on this one, if we trade Rhodes we just have another spot that needs to be filled. CB and WR are our two biggest needs.

Same could be said for the Vilma trade. Sometimes a good player just doesn't fit the system. I'll remain somewhat indifferent to this Rhodes saga. Whatever Rex's plans are I'm fine with. But if you ask me point blank I say he goes.

Yes and a CB helps the DL. We haven't gotten as many sacks because the DL is old. We need 2 DE's. Revis contract is almost up and we may not be able to afford him. Look at what all the other top CB's got in the past. He may ask for 80-100 Mil? Don't forget how hard he was to sign his rookie contract. I would hate to see him go. He was the guy that I wanted that year hands down when most here were going for some guy named Ross (the guy in the blue jersey). Anyway, ever hear of coverage sacks? We have too many scrap CB's because there always hurt. We need another good CB so we can get more depth at other areas. :cheers:

Archived