Still say we a solid OL. I'm thinking the guy should be....

sirlancemehlot

ALAN FANECA. amirite? Coax him out of retirement? Mentor for Ducasse? He's still gotta be better than either Slauson or the Duke of Asse. (look guys, a new one! Duke of Asse! Duc- asse! You wish you thought of it don't you? Ha!). Anyway Alan Faneca. He's the guy. Don't argue with me. I'm right and that's that.

Matt Slauson is alright, and he is developing. I see no problem with leaving him as is. At some point, you have to develop these guys and he's doing his development on the field.

Ducasse is a major concern, but not going to label him a bust just yet. I just hope he doesn't have to start at any point this season.

Alan Faneca may have been a great run blocking LG for both the Steelers and Jets, but he was becoming pretty horrendous in terms of pass protection. We have a developing franchise QB in the making, pass protection is extremely important, which is something that Alan Faneca can no longer do, being that he's 35 years old, and on the down-side of his NFL playing career. Slauson is also a very promising LG, it'll become very foolish to slow down the progression of Slauson for an aging veteran such as Faneca.

The only question marks we have surrounding our offensive line is in regards to our RT position with Wayne Hunter and Vladimir Ducasse. Alan Faneca is the exact opposite of an offensive tackle, he's a guard. I won't claim to be an excellent offensive lines talent evaluator, but from what I've seen of Wayne Hunter last season and especially during the playoffs, it looks like this man can hold his own.

Matt Slauson is alright, and he is developing. I see no problem with leaving him as is. At some point, you have to develop these guys and he's doing his development on the field.

Ducasse is a major concern, but not going to label him a bust just yet. I just hope he doesn't have to start at any point this season.

Yeah, I don't get the hate for Slauson at all. He started the year a little rough last year, but even then was certainly over-criticized for his play all things considered, mostly because he wasn't an immediate upgrade over a 9-time All Pro. Then when you consider his development over the course of the year, for a 6th round pick in his second year in the league, I don't know how you can't be very happy with Slauson's performance last year. Consider that for all the talk about the Jets OL this offseason, was there ever once even the slightest hint that Slauson was even competing for his starting job? Maybe he's not on the level of Brick or Mangold, but playing between the two of them only makes it that much less necessary for him to be, and I have no doubt they plan on letting him start for this team for a while.

Yeah, I don't get the hate for Slauson at all. He started the year a little rough last year, but even then was certainly over-criticized for his play all things considered, mostly because he wasn't an immediate upgrade over a 9-time All Pro. Then when you consider his development over the course of the year, for a 6th round pick in his second year in the league, I don't know how you can't be very happy with Slauson's performance last year. Consider that for all the talk about the Jets OL this offseason, was there ever once even the slightest hint that Slauson was even competing for his starting job? Maybe he's not on the level of Brick or Mangold, but playing between the two of them only makes it that much less necessary for him to be, and I have no doubt they plan on letting him start for this team for a while.

Yeah, the "he's not great but he's playing nexst to someone who's great" argument never really sold me. Slauson is fine. Like when you ask someone, "how's is going?" and they say, "fine. Everything's fine". Not good, not great, just....fine. Wayne Hunter, he's fine, too. And Ducasse...well he's playing bteween a great player and a player who's just fine, really. But he is bad. So, when does it stop? When is it not good enough to fill a roster spot and become necessary to be a forceful, potent contributor? Rex built his line, then let it slide in favor of big shiney QB's and receivers and hall of fame running backs. Should have stuck with placing importance on the trenches.

Yeah, the "he's not great but he's playing nexst to someone who's great" argument never really sold me. Slauson is fine. Like when you ask someone, "how's is going?" and they say, "fine. Everything's fine". Not good, not great, just....fine. Wayne Hunter, he's fine, too. And Ducasse...well he's playing bteween a great player and a player who's just fine, really. But he is bad. So, when does it stop? When is it not good enough to fill a roster spot and become necessary to be a forceful, potent contributor? Rex built his line, then let it slide in favor of big shiney QB's and receivers and hall of fame running backs. Should have stuck with placing importance on the trenches.

Big shiny Alan Faneca is an improvement?

I'm sorry, but that is so incoherent, you've given me a headache.

You say we shouldn't invest much in WRs....uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... we haven't. We have 1 WR with a big contract. That's it. We have practically no WRs signed beyond this year besides him, a late round rookie and some practice squad fodder.

You say we shouldn't invest in a QB.... unanimously considered the most important position in the league... but don't invest there, right? Ooooook....

You say we should use the savings from downgrading our QB and WRs to sign Alan Faneca to compete with Matt Slauson or maybe even just to backup our guards.....

Do you realize we easily have a top 10, if not top 5 offensive line in the NFL?

ARE YOU KIDDING????

You have to accept the fact that not every starter on your team can be great, it's just not feasible, and that doesn't change if you're a bottom dweller or an annual Super Bowl contender. Slauson is a solid player for the Jets, and is only improving, as was blatantly obvious over the course of last season. The fact that he's playing between two perenial pro bowlers absolutely gives the Jets the leeway for them to be able to not have an elite player there, while allowing that not to be a detriment to the team while he continues to improve. You know, it's not that long ago that Brandon Moore was considered "just fine", but managed to get by playing solidly between Kevin Mawae and Kareem McKenzie. These days he's the Jets longest tenured player, is going on his 8th year as a full-time starter and has become one of the better RGs in the league. Some guys need an opportunity to develop and those are the kind of guys who will give you the freedom to put an additional investment into those great players that you do have. Slauson is one of those guys, and for a second year player who was a 6th round pick, I came away pretty impressed with the development he showed in just one year as a starter.

Rex built his line, then let it slide in favor of big shiney QB's and receivers and hall of fame running backs. Should have stuck with placing importance on the trenches.

We did place importance in the trenches when we handed Mangold top center money and Ferguson a solid new deal. We then went and signed Wayne Hunter to a 4-year deal. You don't always need to go outside the organization to find improvements. Mangold, Ferguson, Moore, Slauson and Hunter is one of the best O-lines in the league.

With Turner out and Ducasse not showing progress, we may have an issue with depth. But at least we brought back Turner and used a 2nd rounder on Ducasse in the first place. We're still TRYING to maintain a solid O-line. You can't deny this.

i hope not, if a player like gurode gets cut and he's better then what we have. we sign him.

I think he is saying that because IIRC if you sign a guy before week 1 you are stuck with his salary for the year. If you wait his salary is pro-rated and you can cut him any time. I don't think they need anybody unless they are in love.

I think he is saying that because IIRC if you sign a guy before week 1 you are stuck with his salary for the year. If you wait his salary is pro-rated and you can cut him any time. I don't think they need anybody unless they are in love.

Agreed, the Cowboys would not have cut bait for a rookie center if he was 100%. Gurode must have issues

ALAN FANECA. amirite? Coax him out of retirement? Mentor for Ducasse? He's still gotta be better than either Slauson or the Duke of Asse. (look guys, a new one! Duke of Asse! Duc- asse! You wish you thought of it don't you? Ha!). Anyway Alan Faneca. He's the guy. Don't argue with me. I'm right and that's that.

I know you're a funny guy, so I think I'm just gonna go ahead and assume this thread is an intentional joke.

I'm sorry, but that is so incoherent, you've given me a headache.

You say we shouldn't invest much in WRs....uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... we haven't. We have 1 WR with a big contract. That's it. We have practically no WRs signed beyond this year besides him, a late round rookie and some practice squad fodder.

You say we shouldn't invest in a QB.... unanimously considered the most important position in the league... but don't invest there, right? Ooooook....

You say we should use the savings from downgrading our QB and WRs to sign Alan Faneca to compete with Matt Slauson or maybe even just to backup our guards.....

Do you realize we easily have a top 10, if not top 5 offensive line in the NFL?

ARE YOU KIDDING????

I'm giving you a headache!! LOL. You start every sentence with "So you're saying..." and then make a statement that has absolutely nothing to do with what I actually said. Silly. Except the fact that I think Alan Faneca is more important than Mark Sanchez, That part is totally true. Totally. ROFL.

I know you're a funny guy, so I think I'm just gonna go ahead and assume this thread is an intentional joke.

Yeah, I wasn't really promoting Faneca. Guy is retired and could be 400lbs for all I know. When he went to the Cards he was such a big deal, people claiming his greatness, claiming he sucked, claiming a downgrade/upgrade etc. etc. So i figured Alan Faneca = big post count, FTW!

Alan Faneca may have been a great run blocking LG for both the Steelers and Jets, but he was becoming pretty horrendous in terms of pass protection. We have a developing franchise QB in the making, pass protection is extremely important, which is something that Alan Faneca can no longer do, being that he's 35 years old, and on the down-side of his NFL playing career. Slauson is also a very promising LG, it'll become very foolish to slow down the progression of Slauson for an aging veteran such as Faneca.

The only question marks we have surrounding our offensive line is in regards to our RT position with Wayne Hunter and Vladimir Ducasse. Alan Faneca is the exact opposite of an offensive tackle, he's a guard. I won't claim to be an excellent offensive lines talent evaluator, but from what I've seen of Wayne Hunter last season and especially during the playoffs, it looks like this man can hold his own.

Isn't the exact opposite of an offensive tackle a DE? Or even an elkcat evisneffo? Either is more of an exact opposite than a guard.

I'm giving you a headache!! LOL. You start every sentence with "So you're saying..." and then make a statement that has absolutely nothing to do with what I actually said. Silly. Except the fact that I think Alan Faneca is more important than Mark Sanchez, That part is totally true. Totally. ROFL.

You did say he let the o-line slide in favor of "shiney" (sp) QBs, WRs etc. Yet this doesn't account for the fact that the o-line is TOP 5 in football.

Agreed, the Cowboys would not have cut bait for a rookie center if he was 100%. Gurode must have issues

Our local paper had an article on Gurode this morning...Tom Orsborn suggested that he was cut as Jason Garrett looks to add some accountability to the culture in Dallas...similar to the departures of Roy Williams, Marion Barber, Leonard Davis and Marc Columbo who some thought acted like they were entitled to something. With Gurode, he first irked the coaching staff when he elected knee surgery in June when the lockout was coming to an end and training camp was on the horizon. He couldn't practice and he gained weight. Probably typical BS that Wade Phillips would have ignored...Anyway, while he was away a second year player, Phil Costa became the "poster boy" for the Garrett way...typical overachiever, play hard, through the whistle, positive attitude...I'm sure the reduced price tag also factored in...

As far as Gurode for Jets, it could work...maybe the cut motivates him and/or Callahan can push his buttons...John Clayton reported that Gurode met with the Seahawks yesterday...

You did say he let the o-line slide in favor of "shiney" (sp) QBs, WRs etc. Yet this doesn't account for the fact that the o-line is TOP 5 in football.

We gave up pick #17 (where Josh Freeman was taken) and traded away picks that could've been used to draft OL. We targeted WR's for our QB and a pass-catching RB in free agency in order to give Sanchez more weapons. We addressed skill positions while ignoring the oline, leaving us with no depth and a crappy Ducasse. Where was the push for a FA journeyman lineman? where are all the projects drafted at picks 5,6,7? There are none. Now our line is one injury away from getting Sanchez killed, our backs stuffed at the line, and making our WR's useless as they won't be able to run anything more than an eight yard hitch. Bad planning. And our top 5 oline was last years oline. Not this year's oline. Woody was a starter and Hunter was a backup. Now hunter is a starter and we have no backup. Turner was our backup, and now he's got a broken leg due to Ducasse being a turnstyle. McElroy is already broken due to our second string line. I bought into the "smashmouth" football thing. But we don't have the horses for the smashmouth style now. Which why we brought in Plaxico and Mason. here's hoping we stay healthy up front.

Our local paper had an article on Gurode this morning...Tom Orsborn suggested that he was cut as Jason Garrett looks to add some accountability to the culture in Dallas...similar to the departures of Roy Williams, Marion Barber, Leonard Davis and Marc Columbo who some thought acted like they were entitled to something. With Gurode, he first irked the coaching staff when he elected knee surgery in June when the lockout was coming to an end and training camp was on the horizon. He couldn't practice and he gained weight. Probably typical BS that Wade Phillips would have ignored...Anyway, while he was away a second year player, Phil Costa became the "poster boy" for the Garrett way...typical overachiever, play hard, through the whistle, positive attitude...I'm sure the reduced price tag also factored in...

I love Costa. He's the next big thing for the Weyne Chrebelker All Stars. Can't wait to hear Gruden's analysis of how not only is he tough, but he brings his lunchpail everyday and he's a great teammate.

We gave up pick #17 (where Josh Freeman was taken) and traded away picks that could've been used to draft OL. We targeted WR's for our QB and a pass-catching RB in free agency in order to give Sanchez more weapons. We addressed skill positions while ignoring the oline, leaving us with no depth and a crappy Ducasse. Where was the push for a FA journeyman lineman? where are all the projects drafted at picks 5,6,7? There are none. Now our line is one injury away from getting Sanchez killed, our backs stuffed at the line, and making our WR's useless as they won't be able to run anything more than an eight yard hitch. Bad planning. And our top 5 oline was last years oline. Not this year's oline. Woody was a starter and Hunter was a backup. Now hunter is a starter and we have no backup. Turner was our backup, and now he's got a broken leg due to Ducasse being a turnstyle. McElroy is already broken due to our second string line. I bought into the "smashmouth" football thing. But we don't have the horses for the smashmouth style now. Which why we brought in Plaxico and Mason. here's hoping we stay healthy up front.

Most ludicrous nonsense.

Every o-line, including the good ones are 1-3 injuries away from being abysmal. Guess what? We already got injury #1. Injury #2 would do it, unless of course we sign a veteran FA lineman, which naturally we're about to do...

Fact is... Hunter over Woody is not a noticeable downgrade. Sorry, it just isn't. You really can't find anything on this o-line to whine about except that they don't have a 6th guy. Notice that many teams don't even have their 3 or 4 in place let alone their 6. We DID. He got hurt. Now we need to make a move. Boo hoo,

They wanted Sanchez over Freeman, and they got him. As far as I'm concerned, a good year on a pressure-less Bucs team with nothing to lose doesn't equate to what Sanchez has done, so the jury is still out on who is better. For better or worse, I'll ride with the guy who got the most road playoff wins in NFL history in his first 2 years alone.

As to the other stuff, yeah, they got a wide receiver and a pass catching running back. Thank god. I'm a smashmouth kind of guy myself, but it doesn't matter how good your o-line is if passing is no threat at all. We weren't going all the way with a starting 2 of Cotchery/Stuckey, no matter how good the line was.

Archived