giants have to cut one punter....

sirlancemehlot

That inside the 20 stuff is nice, but I like Conley's ability to hit the 60 yarder once in a while.

+ 1

When we have drives that stall anywhere within our 40, Weatherford is one of the worst punters to have. He's not going to be able to drill one to win back the field position battle. His value is only strong when we're consistently getting into the opponent's territory.

That inside the 20 stuff is nice, but I like Conley's ability to hit the 60 yarder once in a while.

Westhoff is with you as well.

What I think is being lost on people is the Jets didn't resign Weatherford. Does anyone think he took an offer to compete with an incumbent punter over staying with the Jets? No...

That said, the Jets wouldn't bring Weatherford back and there is no way they would take a shot on Dodge. The Giants should actually get out of Dodge before it is too late.

Max I was not aware of Weatherfords situation in that case he probably wont be back. Anyway Weatherford is averaging 50 yards a punt with the giants so i doubt Dodge is winning that battle

Don't forget -- Westhoff is one cranky old man, lol. We love Westy but he demands perfection. I am not sure, maybe it was the money Weatherford wanted, who knows. But Westhoff has a history of moving forward and being fine. I don't want to sound like I am blasting Weatherford, I liked him and thought he should be brought back. I just don't see the Jets being all that concerned.

Max I was not aware of Weatherfords situation in that case he probably wont be back. Anyway Weatherford is averaging 50 yards a punt with the giants so i doubt Dodge is winning that battle

weaterford had 42 punts inside the 20 out of 84 total punts. Thats pretty amazing. He had a long of 61, but did lack that booming leg. Still with a 50% inside the 20 rate, I don't think we can complain about the field position battle. Seems to me a superior defense can overcome a + or - 8yards per punt net, whereas pinning teams deep without handing them touchbacks is far more valuable. I think Westhoff dislikes Weatherford because he's a bit free-spirited and because he pulled that fake punt with fourth and a mile against the Pats last year--missing the 1st down and making Westy look bad. Dodge has an even bigger leg than Conley, so if we'r looking for a monster leg instead of consistancy, he's got it in spades.

I agree that the Jets must have been pretty comfortable with Conley to handle the offseason they way they did, but I'm not so sure that there was any indictment of Weatherford. IIRC Weatherford had a $1.2M tender that the Jets declined. That's a lot of scratch for a punter and they couldn't make him a realistic lesser offer while they were in the Aso sweepstakes. He signed with the Giants before the circus ended and the dust settled.

How quickly everyone forgets the Weatherford shanks in the playoffs last year. Westhoff trashed him in an a couple of interviews, There is not way he is coming back. Conley has been pounding the ball in the pre-season, why wouldn't he make the team. Unless of course hehas a dead leg from all that punting against the Eagles.

46 and it's amazing dodge survived 1 week after the eagles games

weaterford had 42 punts inside the 20 out of 84 total punts. Thats pretty amazing. He had a long of 61, but did lack that booming leg. Still with a 50% inside the 20 rate, I don't think we can complain about the field position battle. Seems to me a superior defense can overcome a + or - 8yards per punt net, whereas pinning teams deep without handing them touchbacks is far more valuable. I think Westhoff dislikes Weatherford because he's a bit free-spirited and because he pulled that fake punt with fourth and a mile against the Pats last year--missing the 1st down and making Westy look bad. Dodge has an even bigger leg than Conley, so if we'r looking for a monster leg instead of consistancy, he's got it in spades.

The Jets offense sucking also helps out with the punts inside the 20 stats, just saying!

Archived