Jags to release QB David Garrard

Morrissey

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty dick move by the Jaguars. Release him the week the season begins so he can't get much of an opportunity elsewhere. The writing was on the wall when they drafted Blaine Gabbert; why didn't they simply release Garrard sometime during the preseason?

Maybe so that the Colts would be forced to drag Kerry Collins out of retirement? Maybe they were trying to work a trade?

They traded up for Gabbert. This shouldnt be a surprise at all.

Thats true, however I didnt think they would let him go this season, maybe next year but 2 days before the start of the 2011 season. Ridiculous!

Thats true, however I didnt think they would let him go this season, maybe next year but 2 days before the start of the 2011 season. Ridiculous!

They ****ed him. Seriously. He was a perfect face for an organization like Jacksonville. Small town religious guy for a small town team in the bible belt. The team much like hims is very family oriented. A pillar in the community, uber nice, and never had any thing written questioning his character. I've met him, he's really the most humble pro athlete I've ever met. We talked for like 2 hours about the league and was very candidate talking about his wife and god...not once did he come across as an arrogant Qb.

1 hour before he was released, the Jags introduced him at him a season ticket holder event in front of thousands of holders as the starting Qb.

Thats ****ed up. He's not great, he's not terrible...but thats just dirty.

They ****ed him. Seriously. He was a perfect face for an organization like Jacksonville. Small town religious guy for a small town team in the bible belt. The team much like hims is very family oriented. A pillar in the community, uber nice, and never had any thing written questioning his character. I've met him, he's really the most humble pro athlete I've ever met. We talked for like 2 hours about the league and was very candidate talking about his wife and god...not once did he come across as an arrogant Qb.

1 hour before he was released, the Jags introduced him at him a season ticket holder event in front of thousands of holders as the starting Qb.

The team clearly wants Gabbert to be the face of the franchise.

I call BS.

No way someone this religious and upstanding possibly runs into a degenerate wannabe player/pothead surfer in the first place, much less hangs out with him for two hours talking about his wife.

I call BS.

No way someone this religious and upstanding possibly runs into a degenerate wannabe player/pothead surfer in the first place, much less hangs out with him for two hours talking about his wife.

Not to mention they met at a cigar lounge and guys were playing poker and Garrard's wife was nowhere to be seen - translation: Garrard is full of crap.

I call BS.

Yeah, but when I'm dressed up in business garb, my extra-circular activities arent obvious....he didnt know any better. For real though - he was up there with Fred Taylor, Marcus Stroud and a couple of others...they were all drinking, smoking cigars, play cards....he was sipping water watching MNF.

To give up on him is suprising for Del Rio who is on the hot seat

Going with McCown and waiting a year on Gabbert is probably Del Rio's play to buy himself at least this year and next. Another year of 6 wins with Garrard and the nothing talent around him, and Del Rio was getting fired this year no doubt.

Meh, hopefully Garrard lands in a better situation. Del Rio is a terrible coach.

Del Rio did the exact same thing to Leftwich a few years ago. Oh, and Leftwich had won him 12 games just like two years earlier. Garrard's had significantly less recent success.

Garrard's also had far less talent around him. Del Rio won those 12 games with a Tom Coughlin team if I'm not mistaken.

Garrard's also had far less talent around him. Del Rio won those 12 games with a Tom Coughlin team if I'm not mistaken.

You are mistaken. The team was in disarray when Coughlin was fired. It was a very different team when Leftwich led them to a 12-win season. People forget how long Del Rio's had this job. He's been with the Jags longer than Coughlin was. This is his ninth year. Nine years and like one or two playoff wins and no division titles. Jets fans would have lynched this guy by now.

Del Rio excels in one area - keeping his job.

You are mistaken. The team was in disarray when Coughlin was fired. It was a very different team when Leftwich led them to a 12-win season. People forget how long Del Rio's had this job. He's been with the Jags longer than Coughlin was. This is his ninth year. Nine years and like one or two playoff wins and no division titles. Jets fans would have lynched this guy by now.

Del Rio excels in one area - keeping his job.

Wrong about the details, but right about the underling point... Del Rio is a terrible coach. Damn, I had no idea how long he'd been down there eating Peyton's leftovers.

I call BS.

I believe it.

Jesus came for sinners, not saints.

David Garrard should be starting in this league. I'd love to bring him in as a backup for the year since I doubt he can get a starters job outside of Miami this late into the season.

I do have to agree with this one. I'm not a big fan of Garrard, but if Jay Cutler can go for two 1st-rounders and be deemed starter for eternity, it's a tad bizarre that Garrard gets thrown aside like this.

I've met him, he's really the most humble pro athlete I've ever met. We talked for like 2 hours

he was up there with Fred Taylor, Marcus Stroud and a couple of others...

You just can't help yourself.... I knew before even clicking on this thread that you'd be in here name-dropping like an unabashed jock-sniffer.

I was saying that I was wrong about the details of my own statement, to clarify. Trust me, I'm not putting any effort into a Jags, Garrard, Del Rio discussion...

No. That's not going to work. You told Klecko that he was wrong about something in Jacksonville and then he goes all Verbal Kint on you. That's the way this works.

No. That's not going to work. You told Klecko that he was wrong about something in Jacksonville and then he goes all Verbal Kint on you. That's the way this works.

No, you misinterpreted what I wrote and like the fat girl in the office tried to turn it into drama that makes you inner thighs tingle. Gross.

We really need to bring negative rep back.

This is shameless.

Agreed.

Archived