Why can't we be honest? Our play calling sucks

BornJetsFan1983

This stuff about playcalling is absurd. All NFL offenses are exactly the same. It's not like in college where real system diversity exists. Everybody has the same number and type of plays based on the same concepts. Obviously the areas of emphasis change year to year and week to week based on your players and the opponent's, but it's not like there's anybody out there getting some sort of competitive advantage from drawing up better plays or doing a better job of picking what play to use in a given situation. That's just not real life.

When our offense sucks it's because the players don't execute. The lack of cohesion isn't because there's something wrong with the system, it's because the players don't know it well enough, and that's where the actual problem with Schottenheimer comes in. Part of the problem is the constant turnover but it doesn't help that we're always trying to do everything out of multiple formations and personnel groups. Like when we got Holmes and they were talking about moving him around, X, Z, slot, whatever. How many times did Marvin Harrison ever line up on the left side of the field? A handful in his whole career? Offense is about specialization, not about everybody knowing everybody else's job like Rex does defense.

NFL Offensives are exactly the same? If that's the case the point you make about "because the players don't know it well enough" is counter to the first statement. I get what you trying to say...but all NFL offensives are not the same, just like all NFL defenses are not the same...What makes great defenses and great offensives is the play calling and then who is making the play. Then there are those things called intangables which sometimes wrecks the "plan".

Maybe he should have worked on this instead of his tan for magazine covers in the off-season?

bahahahaha! You mean the guy who organized the Jets west camp, the VOLUNTARY workouts to get extra practice in during the lockout? Yeah, he did nothing the whole off season and his debut this year was worse than last years, right? Oh wait.

I definitely blame Schotty more than Sanchez for our failures. Some of those play are utterly retarded. 3 and 12 WR screen play? WHY!? 2 and 10 run up the middle for 2 yards? WHY? There's a reason why Sanchez plays better when he calls his own plays.

bahahahaha! You mean the guy who organized the Jets west camp, the VOLUNTARY workouts to get extra practice in during the lockout? Yeah, he did nothing the whole off season and his debut this year was worse than last years, right? Oh wait.

I definitely blame Schotty more than Sanchez for our failures. Some of those play are utterly retarded. 3 and 12 WR screen play? WHY!? 2 and 10 run up the middle for 2 yards? WHY? There's a reason why Sanchez plays better when he calls his own plays.

Haha.... its amazing how under-informed and over-opinionated some people are.

calling WR screeens on 3rd and long is brainless. Consistently throwing short of the chains on third down is also stupid. They like those end arounds too and for the one or two times they work, they are not worth it. We need to screen more. We dont even draw, although I used to hate their obsession with it some years back. those are teh kind of plays that keep your QB upright, and often break for good yardage. Teams are so hot to pass rush.

Last night on the Belichick special on NFL Network, BB pointed out that in certain situations (3rd down) when Sanchez is under center and Keller is lined up at TE the Jets will always throw a seam route to Keller.

The scenario happened and the Jets scored but isn't it troubling that another team knew Schotty's tendencies 2 years ago.

You guys would be very, very good on offense with a competent OC. Not saying you are bad by any means.

How can you differentiate between the offensive execution and the play calling?

Fail = playcall

Success = execution

Simple as that.

Iirc last time this team had a good, healthy

veteran at QB the first quarter and scoring in general werent really issues. I might be wrong I'm on my phone so no hardcore fact checks.

The scenario happened and the Jets scored but isn't it troubling that another team knew Schotty's tendencies 2 years ago.

That's not a tendency. That's what you do against cover-2. I'd be more worried if Belichick thought Schottenheimer wouldn't attack the seam.

That's not a tendency. That's what you do against cover-2. I'd be more worried if Belichick thought Schottenheimer wouldn't attack the seam.

Its not about running Keller down the seam it's about the formation the Jets were in. Run the same play out of the shotgun, have Keller in the slot, etc. The Pats knew what was coming but with their inept D couldn't stop it.

Fail = playcall

Success = execution

Simple as that.

Iirc last time this team had a good, healthy

veteran at QB the first quarter and scoring in general werent really issues. I might be wrong I'm on my phone so no hardcore fact checks.

I assume you're referring to the same time that said healthy veteran QB was getting lambasted by fans and the media for refusing to run the offense designed by his OC, right? Just checking.

So how can we get Shotty Fired? For the sake of my TV that comes about a inch closer to breaking every 3 and 10 WR screen with no blockers...some one said they were perplexed, they wanted to know who this thread was for...it was for me, I hate shotty and have since mangini year two when I realized it was him...its just ******* awesome that you guys hate him too..

I assume you're referring to the same time that said healthy veteran QB was getting lambasted by fans and the media for refusing to run the offense designed by his OC, right? Just checking.

Which means he ignored the playcalls? That idiot? I doubt it.

And lets face it...Favre's biggest flaw in 2008 wasn't that he refused to learn the playbook...how different do you REALLY think the offenses in this league are anyway? Who doesn't have a little of everything in there in the 21st century...The biggest issue in '08 was that he got hurt, and then Jenkins got hurt. That whole playbook thing got bigger with time anyway, as at the time I remember it being mentioned but not proclaimed throughout the land or anything. I doubt our playbook is small enough to be digested in the ~1 month he had with the team before the season started anyway, so there's a perfectly logical reason why he "refused." If anything, the fact that he jumped right in no issue kinda shows how similarly designed most offenses are nowadays....the difference is the quarterback. It always has been and it always will be.

Last night on the Belichick special on NFL Network, BB pointed out that in certain situations (3rd down) when Sanchez is under center and Keller is lined up at TE the Jets will always throw a seam route to Keller.

You guys would be very, very good on offense with a competent OC. Not saying you are bad by any means.

Exactly. Ex-*******-actly even.

Who doesn't know the Pats are going to throw the ball a crap ton? Who stops it? Why? I mean they know what's coming at them, so why not just flick the wrist and swat the fly?

Its not about running Keller down the seam it's about the formation the Jets were in.

No, it really isn't. This stuff is just far too simple to passably bullsh*t. All that formation really means is whether there are two receivers on each side or three on one and one on the other. In the documentary they actually show the exact same concept both with Keller at tight end and Cotchery in the slot, so you ought to have been able to see that it's not a matter of the personnel and where they line up giving Belichick some sort of read as to the play we're going to run. It really isn't even a play. Or a read. Aside from combination routes, this basic option concept where the receiver either crosses in front of the high safety or sticks to the seam where there isn't one (e.g., where the defense is in cover-2) is what the inside receiver does basically all the time.

All these years watching Shotty's offense I've come to the conclusion that he has no insctinct. He's an over-planner and doesn't know how to be unpredictable. I don't think his offensive design is bad--just his overly cerbral approach to a game that's fluid and dynamic. We are at our best in four-minute offense because he's not looking at his freakin chart--he's winging it.

... well said ...

... however, to the original poster ... the afc championship game in pitt was lost due to the defense not being able to tackle a nosebleed ... in general totally agree though ...

l_j_r

you have to include sanchez and rex. you know rex is a cave man who wants to run it, and sanchez is the triggerman. I read yesterday that he audibled to that 3rd down pass at the end of the cowboy game, and shotty admitted he got confused by the look

so if your QB is still getting confused, you have to deal with the fact that the caveman HC and "son of caveman" OC are going to play it close to the vest

add in a very good defense and ST's, and being risky early in a game on offense is almost stupid

now I'd love for the jets to play with a lead, defense gets so much easier, but can see why they would want to do there

oh, and passing on first down last week is what every armchaor OC has been crying for for 2 years, and the jets do it, and we get threads like these

shotty should just call plays that work, and stop calling plays that don't !!!! :-0

oh, and the o-line didn't block for sh*t. maybe the cowboys defense is top 3, we'll have to see, but blocking has a lot to do with playcalling

ESPN Story where Sanchez is quoted saying I think the play calling is fine. And in the same story how we have not scored in the first Qtr in like a million games.

Here's the thing people make excuses on all sorts of stuff and never just come out and say it, it is Shotty and the play calling that prevents us from opening drive, opening Qtr, hell opening half scoring.

No other team puts up with horrible play calling like this, But we have endured two AFC championship losses and of course multiple games through out the season, lost because of predictable and often vanilla offensive strategy. Not even that plain old stupid play calls. How many more 3rd and 10 line drive balls to a WR on the line of scrimmage must we endure? How many times should we be on the goal line and not even try to run it in?

Even with days to prepare def coord in the league look forward to the vanilla shotty offense.

If we would just be honest as a team. I think they would have handed Shotty walking papers a season ago.

I don't want to hear about the "its Sanchez, penalties etc", we haven't scored in the first qtr since buffalo a season or two ago.

Please little Namath in the sky end Shotty's reign as the biggest disaster on the NY Jets. For god's sakes we let go brad smith for less...

lol

No other team puts up with horrible play calling like this, But we have endured two AFC championship losses and of course multiple games through out the season, lost because of predictable and often vanilla offensive strategy.

Oh really? lol Go check out the Dolphins..or the Browns, the Niners, the Seahawks, the bills before last week have SUCKED. You'll get to see a team tomorrow first hand whose fans have "endured" some pretty disgusting offense. Ask a Lions fan how he would like to win four playoff games in the next two years and I think to a man they wouldn't mind "enduring" that. Hey, Wade Phillips is supposedly an offensive genius, would you rather have been the cowboys last week? Would we be better off bringing back Herm? (ask the Chiefs that), should we grab Bruce Coslett and his cool looking huddle, or walton or kotite...those were some geniuses...(you may have been young but surely you have heard the murmurs..) not like this bum who been to back to back afc championships. Please somebody who has watched this team for a while, think back to Boomer Esiason getting hit in the face with the snap. Think back, it was not too long ago this team didnt have a shotgun formation. (or cheerleaders either lol) Do you guys remember the agony that was a Jets game then?? People will point to the Parcells era. Could you imagine if BS called that infamous "10 play package for Ray (Lucas)" or the brilliant HB toss that ended our 99 season??? whew! lol

Week 1 we picked up 18 first downs, we spread 26 completions to seven different receivers for 330 yards. Not to mention going right to utilizing Plaxico perfectly, finally getting Keller into the mix, and a couple of brilliant screen plays to get LT in the open field. And my favorite---No Turnovers, no False starts, no delay of game, no looking confused and out of sync and calling dumb TO's (all things that were synonymous with Jets football under prior CSs) All of the complaints from last year were corrected: We were too conservative, so we threw all night. We were hampering Sanchez, so now he can audible at the line and did, in fact, on that questionable pass on third down before the winning FG. But now we have other issues.

The dude isn't perfect (like any other OC in the league). Normally I would hardly talk about him, kinda like that dude that's supposedly our DC, the guy u see napping in the booth during the game, but the perpetual 'schotty sucks' thread after EVERY single game, regardless of the outcome, is nuts and still in the bizzaro JN, I will be caled a schotty-lover. :screwy:

Oh really? lol Go check out the Dolphins..or the Browns, the Niners, the Seahawks, the bills before last week have SUCKED. You'll get to see a team tomorrow first hand whose fans have "endured" some pretty disgusting offense. Ask a Lions fan how he would like to win four playoff games in the next two years and I think to a man they wouldn't mind "enduring" that. Hey, Wade Phillips is supposedly an offensive genius, would you rather have been the cowboys last week? Would we be better off bringing back Herm? (ask the Chiefs that), should we grab Bruce Coslett and his cool looking huddle, or walton or kotite...those were some geniuses...(you may have been young but surely you have heard the murmurs..) not like this bum who been to back to back afc championships. Please somebody who has watched this team for a while, think back to Boomer Esiason getting hit in the face with the snap. Think back, it was not too long ago this team didnt have a shotgun formation. (or cheerleaders either lol) Do you guys remember the agony that was a Jets game then?? People will point to the Parcells era. Could you imagine if BS called that infamous "10 play package for Ray (Lucas)" or the brilliant HB toss that ended our 99 season??? whew! lol

Week 1 we picked up 18 first downs, we spread 26 completions to seven different receivers for 330 yards. Not to mention going right to utilizing Plaxico perfectly, finally getting Keller into the mix, and a couple of brilliant screen plays to get LT in the open field. And my favorite---No Turnovers, no False starts, no delay of game, no looking confused and out of sync and calling dumb TO's (all things that were synonymous with Jets football under prior CSs) All of the complaints from last year were corrected: We were too conservative, so we threw all night. We were hampering Sanchez, so now he can audible at the line and did, in fact, on that questionable pass on third down before the winning FG. But now we have other issues.

The dude isn't perfect (like any other OC in the league). Normally I would hardly talk about him, kinda like that dude that's supposedly our DC, the guy u see napping in the booth during the game, but the perpetual 'schotty sucks' thread after EVERY single game, regardless of the outcome, is nuts and still in the bizzaro JN, I will be caled a schotty-lover. :screwy:

Without question, the best post of this thread.

In 2006, during Shotty's first year as OC... We had a very limited Pennington (weak arm due to injuries), we had no offensive talent, and Shotty Jr still managed to help lead our Jets team/offense into the playoffs. He used plenty of motion plays to disguise the lack of talent we really had on the offensive side of the ball. Barlow, Blaylock and Houston at RB, until Leon later arrived onto the scenes? Horrible backfield. Coles, McCareins, Dwight and Cotchery at WR? Ugh. To make it even harder on Shotty Jr? Not only did we have Anthony Clement starting at RT, but we were also starting two rookie offensive lineman in Ferguson and Mangold. They were good, but they were rookies. We still ended up scoring 19.8 points per game, which was more than impressive, considering the fact that we lacked offensive talent in the worst way.

In 2007 we got killed with injuries, the team went 4-12, and we had horrible scrubs such as Adrien Clarke at LG and Anthony Clement at RT... Yeah, I'm pretty sure 2007 was Shotty Jr's fault as well. Kellen Clemens was also our starting QB for most of the season.

In 2008, our offense was flying SKY HIGH with Favre under center. Shotty Jr was forced to start his 3rd QB in as many seasons. Pennington, Clemens and now Favre. That's not easy on an OC, but Shotty Jr made it work. The play calling was great in 2008. The Jets were 8-3 after 11 games and Shotty Jr/Favre had our offense averaging 29.3 points per game after 11 games. Favre had 20 TD's and 13 INT's on the season, the Jets were scoring points and winning games. #4 got hurt, had to have offseason surgery and failed to let the coaching staff know he was hurt and unable to perform. You can't blame Shotty Jr for Favre playing hurt, that falls on Mangini; the head coach. Favre played for the records, he sh*t the bed during the last 5 games with QB ratings of 60.9, 60.8, 61.4, 48.7 and 45.1 with only 2 TD's compared to 9 INT's thrown. The Jets ended up gong 1-4 during that time, missing the playoffs, and many of Jet fans have blamed Shotty Jr? Unreal.

Over the past two years? Shotty Jr has protected an inexperienced quarterback perfectly. We've made it to the AFC Championship game during consecutive seasons with a rookie/2nd year quarterback. He's protected our developing franchise QB with the run game. In 2009, the Jets rushed the football more than any other team in the league, and we also passed the football fewer times than any other team in the league. Shotty Jr was the man calling the plays. He knew Sanchez wasn't ready, and he knew exactly how to protect a raw, rookie QB, who only had 1 year of starting experience with USC. The Jets ended up breaking an all-time franchise record for most rushing yards during the course of a single season. Shotty Jr made it all possible, by running the football, while knowing that we had a young QB behind a great offensive line. Last year was no different, yes, we ended up passing the football a lot more (because Shotty Jr started to trust in Sanchez a lot more) but we still ranked top 5 in rushing. Shotty Jr has also protected Sanchez with the wildcat formation over the past two years.

Now we're in year 3... And we're starting to see Shotty Jr call for a lot more pass plays when compared to run plays. Or at least that's how it was during week one against the Cowboys. Some of you Shotty bashers, seem to think we have a veteran QB such as Manning or Brady under center, that's been in the league for 10+ years. Wrong. Sanchez is a young QB who's only heading into his 3rd year with just about NO college experience, but yet, you all feel it's been easy being Shotty Jr under these situations? Give me a break. Shotty Jr has been one hell of an OC over the years. If we're able to blame Shotty Jr for the Jets losing to the Steelers and Colts during AFC Championship games, then you better be ready to give him credit for leading a Jets offense to two AFC Championship games as well. Yes, the Jets defense has led us... But our offense has been awsome at times during the 2nd half of ball games, and especially during the playoffs.

Some good points, but most of the complaints regarding Schotty have stemmed on him not doing what works repeatedly until it doesn't. Personally I don't care about predictability. I care about results. Having a back (or TE) repeatedly beat a LB has been a problem for our D. If the Cowboys D is similar to ours it should work against them too.

I think we did see a few screens against the Cowboys. I don't think we saw them before because Sanchez wasn't scaring anybody and teams just weren't blitzing on us. I'd like to establish the run and then run tons of play action, but that's just me. I think the whole philosophy of the team goes against scoring early. Is there any particular reason that you want him to roll to the left? It's a hell of a lot harder to throw rolling left because his throwing shoulder will be downfield. I like to use the roll out. It seems to work well to get Keller involved. .

First of all, they always defer even if they win the toss. They also run a ridiculously conservative offense to start most of the time. That is by design and there is no arguing with the results. The goal is to win games, not score early. Like Stoic, I am surprised that they haven't lucked into any scores early, but I'm not super concerned.

In regards to rolling to the left -- it is just a different look and a way to move slide the pocket the opposite way and toward D'Brick, somebody I would trust more to hold the pocket than Hunter. I understand the throw is a more difficult but maybe I should've been more clearer in what I said. I would prefer play actions to the right so he can come back around with either a WR/TE coming across the field (drag, deep post, down the seam), the WR on the left side running a fly, hitch or something where's he's isolated with a CB or if there's enough green for him to pull it down and take off.

Pretty Sure Wade phillips is no longer with the Cowboys for exactly the reason Shotty should go, performance...lol yeah your a shotty lover

And my favorite---No Turnovers, no False starts, no delay of game, no looking confused and out of sync and calling dumb TO's (all things that were synonymous with Jets football under prior CSs)

The f*** you talking about? Sanchez had a pick that nearly got returned for 6 and a costly fumble. Romo just had one more costly turnover than Sanchez did.

I'm really not sure why Shotty Jr harpers are still harping over Shotty Jr after only one week of football. Last week...

-We ranked 16th overall in offensive yards, with 360 yards.

-Just about every Shotty doubter has complained over the past two years, that we aren't throwing the football enough. Last week Sanchez and the Jets ranked 7th, with 315 passing yards.

-The Jets rank 12th with 27 points scored. 7 of these points came from a blocked punt, but still... We had a great drive heading into the half and our offense started to pick up yards in bunches during the 2nd half.

In my eyes, for a week 1 game... Shotty Jr held his own as OC and the Jets offense started to get it going during the 2nd half.

You can't blame Shotty Jr for our offensive line struggles last week, which is why our offense struggled during most of the 1st half, or the fact that DeMarcus Ware was on the verge of taking over the game... That falls on our offensive lines coach; Bill Callahan, not Shotty Jr.

I'm really not sure why Shotty Jr harpers are still harping over Shotty Jr after only one week of football. Last week...

-We ranked 16th overall in offensive yards, with 360 yards.

-Just about every Shotty doubter has complained over the past two years, that we aren't throwing the football enough. Last week Sanchez and the Jets ranked 7th, with 315 passing yards.

-The Jets rank 12th with 27 points scored. 7 of these points came from a blocked punt, but still... We had a great drive heading into the half and our offense started to pick up yards in bunches during the 2nd half.

In my eyes, for a week 1 game... Shotty Jr held his own as OC and the Jets offense started to get it going during the 2nd half.

You can't blame Shotty Jr for our offensive line struggles last week, which is why our offense struggled during most of the 1st half, or the fact that DeMarcus Ware was on the verge of taking over the game... That falls on our offensive lines coach; Bill Callahan, not Shotty Jr.

It's been 6 years and 1 game. We've seen this movie before and we know how it ends; another mediocre output by our offense this season. People who want to pin that on anyone but Schottenheimer are kidding themselves. He's not the worst OC in the business but the proof is in the pudding; he's no better than average.

maybe the rob ryan lead cowboys defense is good ?

maybe ?

lol. They trotted out a bunch of practice squad corners. No one in the league gets excused more for poor performance than Brian Schottenheimer. Do you think maybe there's a reason he's never been offered a HC job in all the years he's been OC? The guy is mediocre in every sense of the word.

lol. They trotted out a bunch of practice squad corners. No one in the league gets excused more for poor performance than Brian Schottenheimer. Do you think maybe there's a reason he's never been offered a HC job in all the years he's been OC? The guy is mediocre in every sense of the word.

lol with wayne hunter getting beat by kenyon ******* coleman, what chance did sanchez have of attacking downfield ? to be honest there was only one play call I didn't like, and that was the WR screen out of a trips formation. every DB knows it's coming

maybe it's just the QB who is mediocre

there was no willdcat, and he called a few HB screens

that's progress if you ask me

Lol.

He's been offered at least two HC'ing jobs since he's been here, both in the division. Hell, the Dolphins even took the Pistol/Wildcat/Whateveryoucallit they started using in late '06/early '07 vs. the Pats idea from the '06 Schottenheimer Jets, who were the first team in the division to recycle the use of the formation. It's well known that the Bills and Dolphins (probably amongst others) have looked to hire the guy away from Los Yets, and the Jets for some reason have kept him.

Lol.

He's been offered at least two HC'ing jobs since he's been here, both in the division. Hell, the Dolphins even took the Pistol/Wildcat/Whateveryoucallit they started using in late '06/early '07 vs. the Pats idea from the '06 Schottenheimer Jets, who were the first team in the division to recycle the use of the formation. It's well known that the Bills and Dolphins (probably amongst others) have looked to hire the guy away from Los Yets, and the Jets for some reason have kept him.

Exactly. I started to laugh when he "made it known" that Shotty Jr has "never been offered a head coaching position".

Shotty Jr decided to stay with Sanchez and the Jets as OC last offseason. Say what you say about Shotty Jr, but Shotty Jr has our franchise QB in Sanchez developing the right way. He's protected an extremely young Sanchez to a "T" over the past two seasons. He's protected Sanchez behind our run game, offensive line and defense. He deserves credit for that. He seen the inexperience in Sanchez, and instead of throwing Sanchez into the fire, throwing the ball 35+ times per game, he used our run game to protect a raw QB. We set an All-Time franchise record in 2009 for most rushing yards during a single season, we also ranked as a top 5 rushing offense last season. Guess what? Shotty's been the man who's been calling for the run plays. He's also protected Sanchez with the wildcat formation over the years.

We've been to the AFC Championship game during consecutive seasons and if anything, all these Shotty Jr harpers, love to harp over the fact that our offense has started off slow during games over the past two years... Well guess what? During the 2nd half of ball games, and especially the 4th quarter... Once Sanchez and Shotty Jr figure out the opposing defense... We've flat out dominated some of the best D's around. This only means one thing, Shotty Jr beats opposing defensive coordinators before it's over and done with. It's not like we're starting off hot, and then getting shut down. It's the other way around... We win with the pressure on.

As far as last week... If you wanna blame anyone for anything... Blame Bill Callahan, our offensive lines coach, for not having our offensive line ready for a Rob Ryan, Blitz happy defense, because our offensive line was ugly at times in pass protection; how Shotty Jr harpers wanna blame Shotty Jr for that is beyond me.

It's also a FACT that Rex Ryan loves Shotty Jr. Rex has made it known, time and time again... That Shotty Jr has one hell of an offensive mind.

As far as last week... If you wanna blame anyone for anything... Blame Bill Callahan, our offensive lines coach, for not having our offensive line ready for a Rob Ryan, Blitz happy defense, because our offensive line was ugly at times in pass protection; how Shotty Jr harpers wanna blame Shotty Jr for that is beyond me.

I'm not willing to absolve Schottenheimer in the least, but I do like this line of thinking.

Bill Callahan gets revered as some sort of god around here while Brian Schottenheimer is frequently volunteered to be the sacrifice to the gods. There are a lot of problems on offense. Callahan is supposed to be the running game coordinator -or some such nonsense- and the running game was putrid against the 'Boys while the passing game was pretty good despite the constant heat Sanchez was under. I think the line was getting abused in the running and passing games, but that the talent is better at this stage throwing the ball.

For better or (more likely) worse, I expect much more commitment to the ground & pound this week.

Archived