Are the Miami Dolphins lacking accountability?

Jetfan13

<h2></h2>

by: Omar Kelly September 19th, 2011

I’ve always thought a football team’s head coach and general manager should be the smartest men in the room. And if they’re not, they need to hire people who make them look like geniuses.

I’m starting to conclude the individuals behind the wheel of this franchise might be in a little bit over their heads.

There have been too many front-office and coaching moves made this season – the first full year with Bill Parcells out of the nest – where I’ve been left scratching my head. I don’t want to say they’ve been dumb decisions, but they have certainly opened the door for us to question the organization’s football intelligence.

brightcove.createExperiences();How in the world does the personnel side conclude Austin Spitler, who takes a ton of false steps, is better than AJ Edds? Sure there’s plenty we don’t know about that decision, especially the special teams aspect, but Spitler isn’t starter material, and isn’t that the goal?

What makes them think Marc Colombo will stop being a turnstile at right tackle? Vernon Carey should have returned to right tackle weeks ago? Why? Because he’s a better right tackle than Colombo, who has allowed a sack each week!

Exactly how, or why are the coaches missing these horrendous angles free safety Reshad Jones is constantly taking in his efforts to impersonate Gibril Wilson? Jones has talent, but why haven’t the Dolphins figured out he’s really a strong safety, which is what the University of Georgia told most of the scouting community when he left the school early.

Nolan Carroll defending Andre Johnson instead of Will Allen or Sean Smith. REALLY?????!!!!!!

That’s a smart strategy (notice the sarcasm). Put your second-worst cornerback on the best receiver in the NFL. If Johnson would have scored that game-sealing touchdown on Smith or Allen it would have been far more acceptable.

Where have the in-game adjustments gone?

I’m sensing a lack of accountability in the 2011 Miami Dolphins, and I’m becoming a bit disturbed by what’s going on because that’s not like Tony Sparano.

The problem is it starts at the top, and the leadership of this franchise needs to tighten up before they can even start pointing fingers at the players. The game plans have been bad in these past two losses, and the adjustments have been worse.

I addressed some of these issues with WQAM’s Michael Irvin today, and while the conversation will send plenty of dirty looks my way in Davie this week, I felt good getting it off my chest.

Those who know me know I don’t do knee-jerk reactions, so don’t assume this is one. These issues have been bubbling inside me for weeks, since the exhibition season, and I’m puzzled why Sparano and Jeff Ireland didn’t notice these issues, and haven’t adjusted.

It’s one thing to fire a guy like Benny Sapp for a bad performance during a worse game plan. But is that really holding someone accountable?

This team needs to tighten up or this season’s going to get ugly FAST.

The continued demise of the Dolphins is fun to watch, but there is a catch here, no pun intended. They are certainly headed for a 4-5 win season which will put them right in arms reach of Luck. Add Gruden to the mix and the Dolphins could turn things around fast and stay that way for a while.

The continued demise of the Dolphins is fun to watch, but there is a catch here, no pun intended. They are certainly headed for a 4-5 win season which will put them right in arms reach of Luck. Add Gruden to the mix and the Dolphins could turn things around fast and stay that way for a while.

there is a reason they still have sporano. no coach wants the job. it's like the raiders, they can only hire guys who would never sniff a HC job anywhere else

I don't know about the team lacking accountability, but the ownership sure is. To make it clear that they were shopping for a new coach, and a new QB, then leave the two bums in place is just not responsible.

Clowns. I wonder what input J-lo and Mark had on that, now that Mark's not inputing J-Lo anymore

I really thought they were going to go for Herm Edwards. I still kind of think they might. That ownership circus wants entertainment from their team more than necessarily winning. Herm is a perfect candidate for that. Lots of soundbytes from him. Ironically, the best fit for them would be Rob Ryan. It instantly would put them in the national spotlight for the rivalry showdown aspect, and lord knows Rob would entertain down there. If he's anythingt like his brother, he might actually turn out being a good coach as well.

there is a reason they still have sporano. no coach wants the job. it's like the raiders, they can only hire guys who would never sniff a HC job anywhere else

Have to disagree with you on this one. The Miami job is still one of the better jobs in the NFL, nothing like Oakland. Sparano was handpicked by Parcells, there were others who wanted the job including our coach.

Vernon Carey should have returned to right tackle weeks ago?

Exactly how, or why are the coaches missing these horrendous angles free safety Reshad Jones is constantly taking in his efforts to impersonate Gibril Wilson? Jones has talent, but why haven’t the Dolphins figured out he’s really a strong safety, which is what the University of Georgia told most of the scouting community when he left the school early.

Nolan Carroll defending Andre Johnson instead of Will Allen or Sean Smith. REALLY?????!!!!!!

This team needs to tighten up or this season’s going to get ugly FAST.

Reading a pile of grammatical AIDS like this makes me appreciate Cimini. At least he can write on a tenth-grade level.

Have to disagree with you on this one. The Miami job is still one of the better jobs in the NFL, nothing like Oakland. Sparano was handpicked by Parcells, there were others who wanted the job including our coach.

how is it a good job ? No QB, no sell outs, division with the jets and pats*, quirky ownership structure, nice weather. if you are a HC who wants to win, you don't take the miami job because you can't make the playoffs

it's a coach killer job. they openly shopped the HC job last offseason, with sparano in it, and they are stuck with him.

why are they stuck with tony ?

how is it a good job ? No QB, no sell outs, division with the jets and pats*, quirky ownership structure, nice weather. if you are a HC who wants to win, you don't take the miami job because you can't make the playoffs

it's a coach killer job. they openly shopped the HC job last offseason, with sparano in it, and they are stuck with him.

I think the problem with the Miami job is that they dont have a QB and no coach wants to go in there and be the guy relying on Chad Henne. The Miami job comes with a ton of pressure due to Shula being a legendary coach and the Marino cloud being gigantic there. Much like Oakland when the team is bad the fans are not going to show up and that rubs the owners the wrong way, leading to way too much intervention from ownership. Harbaugh took the San Francisco job because there is no pressure and no expectations.(which is kind of funny since the history of the 49er organization from 1980 through 2000 is way better than that of the Dolphins or Raiders) from the base. He knows there is no QB, but figures over time he can find something.

Maybe the difference is in just how bad the teams were. SF was brutal for probably a 5 year stretch to diminish expectations. Miami is more like slow torture since Marinos departure. 11 wins, 7 wins, 8 wins, 10 wins, 9 wins...never good but never awful enough to make fans just forget having a QB like Marino. They had the one awful year sprinkled in but they have yet to endure a real rebuilding period. There probably are not many coaches that want to come into such a job and tell ownership that we are going to stink for 2-3 years to try to clean up a roster of a bunch of mediocre players that you cant get out of that 6 to 9 win category with. I mean how ridiculous is it for a team like Miami to have a guy like Jason Taylor playing, to sign Reggie Bush and Larry Johnson, and to be paying 12 million bucks to Paul Soliai? You cant get better doing that.

All valid points. They are "stuck" with Tony because due to the impending lock out the major players for coaching were not coming in this year, Cowher,Gruden, ect. Next year will be different.

True the qb spot is not attractive, but most bad teams this is the case. Next years crop for the draft is very good. New coach, new qb come in together.

Ownership wants to spend money and bring fans to the park. The owner will make a splash this off season.

The nice weather is a plus by the way.

Miami, despite their recent trend of losing is still one of the marque franchises in the NFL, they will get a big name coach.

I think the problem with the Miami job is that they dont have a QB and no coach wants to go in there and be the guy relying on Chad Henne. The Miami job comes with a ton of pressure due to Shula being a legendary coach and the Marino cloud being gigantic there. Much like Oakland when the team is bad the fans are not going to show up and that rubs the owners the wrong way, leading to way too much intervention from ownership. Harbaugh took the San Francisco job because there is no pressure and no expectations.(which is kind of funny since the history of the 49er organization from 1980 through 2000 is way better than that of the Dolphins or Raiders) from the base. He knows there is no QB, but figures over time he can find something.

Maybe the difference is in just how bad the teams were. SF was brutal for probably a 5 year stretch to diminish expectations. Miami is more like slow torture since Marinos departure. 11 wins, 7 wins, 8 wins, 10 wins, 9 wins...never good but never awful enough to make fans just forget having a QB like Marino. They had the one awful year sprinkled in but they have yet to endure a real rebuilding period. There probably are not many coaches that want to come into such a job and tell ownership that we are going to stink for 2-3 years to try to clean up a roster of a bunch of mediocre players that you cant get out of that 6 to 9 win category with. I mean how ridiculous is it for a team like Miami to have a guy like Jason Taylor playing, to sign Reggie Bush and Larry Johnson, and to be paying 12 million bucks to Paul Soliai? You cant get better doing that.

Your right Jason to a degree. I still believe the job will be sought after by major players next off season. Two reasons, 1. they will be high enough in the draft to get a very good qb prospect, 2. the owner is willing to spend plenty of money, clean house and hand the keys over.

All valid points. They are "stuck" with Tony because due to the impending lock out the major players for coaching were not coming in this year, Cowher,Gruden, ect. Next year will be different.

True the qb spot is not attractive, but most bad teams this is the case. Next years crop for the draft is very good. New coach, new qb come in together.

Ownership wants to spend money and bring fans to the park. The owner will make a splash this off season.

The nice weather is a plus by the way.

Miami, despite their recent trend of losing is still one of the marque franchises in the NFL, they will get a big name coach.

Agree

Not to mention that the No State income tax is a major draw for potential FA's. Fish aren't as bad personnel wise as they appear. Their ownership and FO stink

Archived