Catching Hell-

Thor99

it was riveting. those fans at the game that day should be ashamed for the mob menatality they showed. what was most fascinating was how in the bartman game, just like the buckner game, there were other incidents in the game that could have been scapegoated, most notably the blown easy double play ball by the shortstop in the bartman game and the wild pitch in the buckner game, but it was the focus of the TV replays that really dictated how the blame was determined.

if the wild pitch and blown ground ball were replayed 500 times, we'd be talking abou the stanley game or the gonzalez game

they interviewed the director for the bartman game, and I couldn't believe how casual he was about the role showing the replay of the bartman play 677 times in an hour might have effected how fans reacted. the chants started outside the stadium where people were watching the replays and then spread into the stadium.

and in both games the pitchers got off scott free with no blame

just a very interesting look at scapegoating, the media and fan obsession

If the jets were up 21-17 with 5 minutes to go in the 4th Q of the SB, and blow the lead, no matter what, sanchez would get the blame. cro could get 2 holding penatlies and give up a TD, hunter gives up a sack and has a false start, doesn't matter, the QB gets the blame every time and he'd have to move back to cali

It was 2 hours long. I liked it alot, but after the first hour I started tuning out. The point that he unfairly "caught hell" by getting in the way of that play was kind of hammered in by then. As a Cubs fan when I saw the "why doesn't anyone remember Alex Gonzalez's non-double play(?)" I yelled "I F'N remember it! So does a whole crapload of Cub fans!"

Mostly I wanted to see it for the video of old school, HEALTHY Mark Prior. The talent that guy had was just holy crap....and it's so hard to find available video of him when he was healthy. To me THAT is the worst thing about going back to memories of the '03 Cubs. That was the ONLY year they had a fully healthy Prior, and not surprisingly its' the closest they came to the WS. If they made it to the series I think that Cubs team would have won too....

It was 2 hours long. I liked it alot, but after the first hour I started tuning out. The point that he unfairly "caught hell" by getting in the way of that play was kind of hammered in by then. As a Cubs fan when I saw the "why doesn't anyone remember Alex Gonzalez's non-double play(?)" I yelled "I F'N remember it! So does a whole crapload of Cub fans!"

Mostly I wanted to see it for the video of old school, HEALTHY Mark Prior. The talent that guy had was just holy crap....and it's so hard to find available video of him when he was healthy. To me THAT is the worst thing about going back to memories of the '03 Cubs. That was the ONLY year they had a fully healthy Prior, and not surprisingly its' the closest they came to the WS. If they made it to the series I think that Cubs team would have won too....

Yeah I had Prior pegged as going on to be a top three pitcher. He was that good.

:sign0101:

Barton is 110% correct.

Everyone of them idiots would have done the same thing.

Bartman took all of the blame and he shouldn't have, but completely absolving him of all blame is completely asinine. It set forth a spiral of chaos that probably wouldn't have happened if Alou caught the ball.

If I saw Steve Bartman on the street, I wouldn't reach into my pocket and throw one of the batteries I've carried inside it for eight years to to throw at Steve Bartman. I wouldn't hug him either.

I don't blame Alou for his reaction. Everyone was waiting for something terrible to happen and it did. Dusty Baker, on the other hand, for not going to calm things down? God damnit. **** Dusty Baker in his stupid ******* a$$.

He reacted the same as 99% of fans would. There were plenty of dopes in the Wrigley crowd that evening. The Cubs had their chance, and to blame it on some poor 25 year old kid is stupid.

Same with Buckner-He was not the goat. The tying run had already scored thanks to a wild pitch (which Gedman should have caught). Mookie probably beats Buckner to first base even if he fields the ball.

Bob Stanley was the real goat there.

Archived