Mark Sanchez

Joewillie2k12

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sanchez may not be THE problem, but he is A problem right now. This entire offense is breaking down, but Mark's inability to exploit 4 teams in a row with weak corners is alarming given the weapons he has.

C'mon. There is no such thing as a QB that could move the ball any better, and/or not turn the ball over 9x in 4 games, with this OL. I read it here so it must be true.

Sanchez may not be THE problem, but he is A problem right now. This entire offense is breaking down, but Mark's inability to exploit 4 teams in a row with weak corners is alarming given the weapons he has.

I tried explaining to a certain unnamed poster last night that a good QB that makes good pre-snap reads, varies his snap counts, and gets rid of the ball quickly can really help out his OL.

Wasn't buying it.

A really good QB can rise above a crap OC and coaching staff. Sanchez simply not at that point yet. I need to see what he does with a competent OC and QB coach. I also have my doubts about whether the HC should be involved with anything other than the defense, braggadocios motivational speeches and piss-poor comedy routines. This is the Peter Principle at its finest.

I tried explaining to a certain unnamed poster last night that a good QB that makes good pre-snap reads, varies his snap counts, and gets rid of the ball quickly can really help out his OL.

Wasn't buying it.

Sanchez basically gave up 21 points on turnovers. 2 fumble returns for 6 and a pic 6.

Standing at your own goal line like the statue of Liberty and never looking at Ed Reeds side of the field is Sanchez's responsibility. The INT looked like there was helium in the football as it floated to the sideline.

Sanchez should have been the MVP of the game for Baltimore because Im not so sure they win the way the Jets defense was handling Flacco.

The offensive line has hurt the running game, but the truth is, teams are just stacking the box, and blitzing, daring Sanchez to make a play. Sometimes he does, but at least once or twice a game, he does something so stupid it pretty much nullifies the positives.

Hes getting the Eli Manning treatment.

The main difference is that the fans and media are more critical for the Jets.

I disagree that they are more critical. Eli got to the point where he was getting booed at home for not being Rivers or Roethlisberger. Sanchez hasnt reached there yet. Chad was the only recent Jet QB that got that treatment. When the Giants picked up his contract option in 2007 it was huge news even though it was basically a contractual certainty that it would happen. I remember people calling up on the radio saying they cant believe how the Giants signed such a bad deal and were paying him more money to remain on the team. From the fanbase at large I really dont get the same vibe from Sanchez. I get hate directed at the OC and the offense in general but I dont even feel that the mass majority of fans are anti-Sanchez at all.

The offensive line was the main problem, but anybody playing the "you can't blame Sanchez game" is over the top. The pick six was a disgrace. It was obvious. He never looked off and just threw it right out to Webb. If he knew the Ravens were going to hit him, then why did he keep spitting the ball up?

Also, regarding our great weapons: Plaxico and Holmes spend the fourth quarter waving at the ball with one hand. Holmes could have at least stepped up and tried to fight for the ball on the pick six. Keller dogged it on a couple. Weak.

Looked off?

No time for that.

He had a guy in his face a second after he got the snap with a 4 man rush on that play.

I disagree that they are more critical. Eli got to the point where he was getting booed at home for not being Rivers or Roethlisberger. Sanchez hasnt reached there yet. Chad was the only recent Jet QB that got that treatment. When the Giants picked up his contract option in 2007 it was huge news even though it was basically a contractual certainty that it would happen. I remember people calling up on the radio saying they cant believe how the Giants signed such a bad deal and were paying him more money to remain on the team. From the fanbase at large I really dont get the same vibe from Sanchez. I get hate directed at the OC and the offense in general but I dont even feel that the mass majority of fans are anti-Sanchez at all.

You can definitely see the roof starting to buckle on him, though. He's earned a measure of political capital because he's been clutch in big spots, but every time Matt Stafford, Cam Newton, or Josh Freeman are shown on ESPN firing darts and winning games for their teams, even the most die-hard homers start to get deeper into buyer's remorse.

Looked off?

No time for that.

He had a guy in his face a second after he got the snap with a 4 man rush on that play.

Looked off was the wrong phrasing. He looked right at the play and didn't notice the corner was going to easily jump that route. I don't think you are supposed to throw that ball.

It's acceptable to have trouble moving the ball against the Ravens, it's not acceptable to keep spitting the ball up for touchdowns. On the first fumble it was obvious to anyone with eyes that Reed was coming Sanchez looked to the right, held the ball and then held it some more without looking left or thinking about the unblocked pressure. If the safety blitz is coming left you have to get the ball out quick and think that maybe the left side will be where the Ravens are down a man in coverage.

my problem with Sanchez is he doesn't minimize bad situations. He "maximizes" them

for example Ed reed is coming free on a blitz. a sack and a punt if far preferable to a strip sack and TD. People assume just cause the OL is bad that the QB is excused for coughing it up. He has to take care of the ball, period.

let's be real Mark's mistakes led to 21 defensive points and they lost by 17. Yes yes OL sucked. but he's gotta do better than that.

my problem with Sanchez is he doesn't minimize bad situations. He "maximizes" them

for example Ed reed is coming free on a blitz. a sack and a punt if far preferable to a strip sack and TD. People assume just cause the OL is bad that the QB is excused for coughing it up. He has to take care of the ball, period.

let's be real Mark's mistakes led to 21 defensive points and they lost by 17. Yes yes OL sucked. but he's gotta do better than that.

You know something's wrong when Martha Stewart herself is reasonably advising everyone on the trading tips.

You can definitely see the roof starting to buckle on him, though. He's earned a measure of political capital because he's been clutch in big spots, but every time Matt Stafford, Cam Newton, or Josh Freeman are shown on ESPN firing darts and winning games for their teams, even the most die-hard homers start to get deeper into buyer's remorse.

Thats the bigger problem. Last year Freeman was really good. Stafford looked fine before he got hurt yet again (and I still have my doubts that he can stay healthy) but this year he has been insane. Im not sure if Sanchez has ever taken over a game in 3 years now, and to be fair I doubt Freeman has either, but he just looks so much more poised than Mark, who still looks like the rookie kid trying to get a firm grasp on the NFL. My guess is having Brunell on the sidelines helps because there is no other option behind Sanchez. When people were done with Chad there was Fiedler, a proven commodity, and Clemens, a high upside draft pick so they booed him rather than just the offense in general. Sanchez also doesnt have teammates throwing him under the bus in the media, which clearly Eli had with Tiki and Shockey both as named and unnamed sources. But I think his teammates now wont hesitate to do it (Holmes, Burress, and Mason are going to be the culprits). Could be a tough year for him.

Looked off was the wrong phrasing. He looked right at the play and didn't notice the corner was going to easily jump that route. I don't think you are supposed to throw that ball.

It's acceptable to have trouble moving the ball against the Ravens, it's not acceptable to keep spitting the ball up for touchdowns. On the first fumble it was obvious to anyone with eyes that Reed was coming Sanchez looked to the right, held the ball and then held it some more without looking left or thinking about the unblocked pressure. If the safety blitz is coming left you have to get the ball out quick and think that maybe the left side will be where the Ravens are down a man in coverage.

OK, let's stop and think about this for a second. The CB's are playing right up on the line and jamming the receivers immediately all night long. Our OC's answer to that was the have the QB throw a pass all the way across the field on a 2 yard stop route KNOWING the CB's are jamming and crashing down on the receivers. I agree Mark should have never thrown that ball because such an assinine play should have never been called. Mark should have killed it in the huddle the moment it came through his headset, called timeout, and walked over and punched Schitty in the face for even getting the idea to call such a horrible play that would sell out the QB like that. Unfortunately at 24 years old I can't really expect the kid to have the discipline to know his OC is a moron.

Thats the bigger problem. Last year Freeman was really good. Stafford looked fine before he got hurt yet again (and I still have my doubts that he can stay healthy) but this year he has been insane. Im not sure if Sanchez has ever taken over a game in 3 years now, and to be fair I doubt Freeman has either, but he just looks so much more poised than Mark, who still looks like the rookie kid trying to get a firm grasp on the NFL. My guess is having Brunell on the sidelines helps because there is no other option behind Sanchez. When people were done with Chad there was Fiedler, a proven commodity, and Clemens, a high upside draft pick so they booed him rather than just the offense in general. Sanchez also doesnt have teammates throwing him under the bus in the media, which clearly Eli had with Tiki and Shockey both as named and unnamed sources. But I think his teammates now wont hesitate to do it (Holmes, Burress, and Mason are going to be the culprits). Could be a tough year for him.

I was a huge fan of Stafford coming out, wanted pull a Ditka and trade the entire draft for him...but while he makes some amazing plays...how hard is it to throw into triple coverage to a receiver that just will out jump everyone?

lol - Stafford has a luxury very few QB's have and it helps him a great deal.

Freeman on the other hand making chicken salad out of chicken sh*t, is impressive.

A QB, any QB no matter how great he is, is a direct product of his offensive line.

Any QB who has opposing jerseys in his face and is getting knocked on his a$$ on every play is going to make mistakes.

Even Brady and Manning, when they have defenders in their face faster than they're used to, will make mistakes ... lots of 'em. Go back and look at the 2007 Super Bowl as evidence.

The Jets offensive line is a train wreck right now.

They can't open up holes for the running game and they can't protect the QB.

That is an absolute recipe for failure.

Couple that with the fact that the receivers are completely "out of sync" with the QB and that makes it even worse.

And all you guys that keep saying Sanchez locks in on his receivers have no idea what the f%$& you're talking about. When he has time, he looks. When he doesn't have time, he CAN'T look, which makes it appear he locks onto one guy. It's that simple.

Go back and look at the two Sanchez fumbles that were returned for scores.

The first play was a 3 step drop that was intended for Keller, who was running an underneath flat route from his "H-Back" alignment, but was incredibly late coming out of his stance and wasn't even looking in for the pass when Sanchez was ready to throw, which is why Sanchez had to pump and then look to Holmes running the short post on the same side of the field. Of course, by the time he could make an attempt, Reed had hit him. But that play was totally Keller's fault. He was late coming off the snap and didn't have his head turned on a 3 step drop route.

On the second fumble, the play was a pass with a 7 step drop from an offset I. Both RBs went into routes, Connor running into the flat and Greene running a "sit" route right in the middle of the field at LB depth and again, both guys were late getting into their zones. The Ravens showed a 5 man front, but dropped the 2 ends on each side in coverage, and came with another LB. Net result? A 4 man rush on a 5 man line. Advantage offense, right? No. Sanchez still had a the DT in his face because for some unknown reason, both Ducasse and Brick let him go on a direct path to the QB, and Brick left to block who? Nobody.

Listen, I understand Sanchez hasn't played especially well, in the last few weeks.

The interception in the end zone last week against Oakland was atrocious. Both fumbled snaps last night were his fault. But let's not throw the entire house on him because any QB is going to do things that he shouldn't when he's getting pressured on every play, it's just a natural instinct to "rush" your actions faster than usual and whenever you do that, you make mistakes. I don't care if you're Mark Sanchez or Joe Montana.

The real problem here though is the Offensive line and Schottenheimer who continues to show that he can't make adjustments on the fly.

For the second consecutive week, the QB has been under intense pressure on every play, and we continue to run the same offense that does not employ plays that help counter an aggresive pass rush. Only 1 sprint out pass last night from Sanchez. Very few power sweeps, no traditional screens, and a no huddle offense, which is used by many elite offenses in the league to tire out a defensive line and prevent defensive substitutions which would not allow defenses to play against your tendencies, no where in Schottenheimer's game plan. Go back to soem of the Week 1 threads vs Dallas where I, and many others, were saying the same thing.

He has no "feel for the game" and that's not a skill you develop.

You either have it or you don't.

I was a huge fan of Stafford coming out, wanted pull a Ditka and trade the entire draft for him...but while he makes some amazing plays...how hard is it to throw into triple coverage to a receiver that just will out jump everyone?

lol - Stafford has a luxury very few QB's have and it helps him a great deal.

Freeman on the other hand making chicken salad out of chicken sh*t, is impressive.

Megatron is a stupid name.

A QB, any QB no matter how great he is, is a direct product of his offensive line.

The real poroblem here though is the Offensive line and Schottenheimer who continues to show that he can't make adjustments on the fly.

Amazing.

you do know that the QB is suppose to recognize a blitz at line of scrimmage and throw into it. I know Baltimore is great at disguising it but still sanchez rarely throws into the blitz.

Any QB who has opposing jerseys in his face and is getting knocked on his a$$ on every play is going to make mistakes.

Even Brady and Manning, when they have defenders in their face faster than they're used to, will make mistakes ... lots of 'em. Go back and look at the 2007 Super Bowl as evidence.

The Jets offensive line is a train wreck right now.

They can't open up holes for the running game and they can't protect the QB.

That is an absolute recipe for failure.

Couple that with the fact that the receivers are completely "out of sync" with the QB and that makes it even worse.

And all you guys that keep saying Sanchez locks in on his receivers have no idea what the f%$& you're talking about. When he has time, he looks. When he doesn't have time, he CAN'T look, which makes it appear he locks onto one guy. It's that simple.

Go back and look at the two Sanchez fumbles that were returned for scores.

The first play was a 3 step drop that was intended for Keller, who was running an underneath flat route from his "H-Back" alignment, but was incredibly late coming out of his stance and wasn't even looking in for the pass when Sanchez was ready to throw, which is why Sanchez had to pump and then look to Holmes running the short post on the same side of the field. Of course, by the time he could make an attempt, Reed had hit him. But that play was totally Keller's fault. He was late coming off the snap and didn't have his head turned on a 3 step drop route.

On the second fumble, the play was a pass with a 7 step drop from an offset I. Both RBs went into routes, Connor running into the flat and Greene running a "sit" route right in the middle of the field at LB depth and again, both guys were late getting into their zones. The Ravens showed a 5 man front, but dropped the 2 ends on each side in coverage, and came with another LB. Net result? A 4 man rush on a 5 man line. Advantage offense, right? No. Sanchez still had a the DT in his face because for some unknown reason, both Ducasse and Brick let him go on a direct path to the QB, and Brick left to block who? Nobody.

Listen, I understand Sanchez hasn't played especially well, in the last few weeks.

The interception in the end zone last week against Oakland was atrocious. Both fumbled snaps last night were his fault. But let's not throw the entire house on him because any QB is going to do things that he shouldn't when he's getting pressured on every play, it's just a natural instinct to "rush" your actions faster than usual and whenever you do that, you make mistakes. I don't care if you're Mark Sanchez or Joe Montana.

The real problem here though is the Offensive line and Schottenheimer who continues to show that he can't make adjustments on the fly.

For the second consecutive week, the QB has been under intense pressure on every play, and we continue to run the same offense that does not employ plays that help counter an aggresive pass rush. Only 1 sprint out pass last night from Sanchez. Very few power sweeps, no traditional screens, and a no huddle offense, which is used by many elite offenses in the league to tire out a defensive line and prevent defensive substitutions which would not allow defenses to play against your tendencies, no where in Schottenheimer's game plan.

Amazing.

Lots of truth to this...but...what was Sanchez when he was playing behind an elite OL?

Up to last night, I've actually been some what impressed by Sanchez playing well under the circumstances that would plague most inconsistent young QB's...but last night was awful. I dont care how bad your oline is, you have to protect the ball better and you cant miss as many times as he did.

you do know that the QB is suppose to recognize a blitz at line of scrimmage and throw into it. I know Baltimore is great at disguising it but still sanchez rarely throws into the blitz.

Ummm, yeah junior, after 10 years of coaching high school football, I think I understand that.

Do you understand basic math?

Let me explain it for you.

If you have 5 guys blocking their 4, even though one of them is a blitzing LB, the QB isn't supposed to have a guy in his face as soon as he comes out of a 7 step drop.

Lots of truth to this...but...what was Sanchez when he was playing behind an elite OL?

Up to last night, I've actually been some what impressed by Sanchez playing well under the circumstances that would plague most inconsistent young QB's...but last night was awful. I dont care how bad your oline is, you have to protect the ball better and you cant miss as many times as he did.

A rookie QB.

Look, I understand he did not play well last night ... I said that in the post.

But fumbles and missed passes are also a product of having to do things much faster than you're used to.

The two fumbled snaps were terrible on his part.

You want to say the int that was returned was a bad decision, I won't disagree, although again he literally had no time to throw.

The two fumbles that went for scores were not his fault. He was in the act of throwing on both, and literally had no time.

The funny thing is how the OLine double fisting screw ups. They either get blown over or have miscommunication which let guys like Ngata run free. The Brick & Vlad deciding not to block Ngata was comical.

I especially loved when Hunter ran away from a blitzer and stopped, looking for someone to block and there was no one there, while the blitzer he let by creams Sanchez. Collinsworth wondered out loud what Hunter was doing.

Sanchez was getting hit on 3 step drops. He did look rattled and then was just screwing stup up. The fumbled snaps were his fault, including the shotgun.

A rookie QB.

Look, I understand he did not play well last night ... I said that in the post.

But fumbles and missed passes are also a product of having to do things much faster than you're used to.

The two fumbled snaps were terrible on his part.

You want to say the int that was returned was a bad decision, I won't disagree, although again he literally had no time to throw.

The two fumbles that went for scores were not his fault. He was in the act of throwing on both, and literally had no time.

Aaron Rodgers lolz at our O-line woes.

Archived