If the Dolphins draft Luck, Mark Sanchez becomes the 4th best QB in the AFC East

T0mShane

Id actually be curious to see the career success of players who seemed to shoot up the draft boards as the draft got closer compared to those who more or less got drafted around their original slotted position. My feeling has always been that teams jump the gun way too early on QBs, specifically in the last 10-15 years pushing certain guys into the top 10, a ton of 2nd round QBs into the first round and a handful of 3rd round types into the 2nd round.I remember a few years ago when I did a 10 year history of the draft there were basically no 2nd rounders selected for the period while everyone picked outside the top 11 busted (Chad was the best draft pick at the time) in the first. I actually dont remember Sanchez being looked at as a top 5 and I dont even think top 10 selection until later in the process. Luck has always been a consensus 1. I wonder if there is any correlation.

I've always wondered this myself--how the hell GMs constantly fall into the trap of completely discounting their scout's volumes of work on players with track records to go out and draft a guy that the hype machine pumped up over the course of a few weeks. I think the players who succeed from such a scenario has to be outnumbered by the busts 25:1, if not more.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can say the same thing about 85% of the QB's in the league right now.

Interesting Phil Simms take on Sanchez. "Nobody could have played well against the Ravens with the O-Line play AND no open receivers. The WR's have went to REX on Schotty's playcalling three times already this season".

Luck is the best prospect" since Peyton Manning. How that pans out is TBD but when you ask if most GM's would take him over Sanchez I think the same question could be said for the majority of the QBs in the league.

Agreed. I only posted that in response to a poster who said otherwise.

Circumstance. Woody had new stadium, new coach and just missed with a Hall fame QB that got injured at the end of the season.. He needed a FACE of the franchise to market his team and PSL's. He got the face but not the QB. oops...

Wrong. We traded up for Sanchez to land a franchise quarterback.

I guess you've missed out on the playoffs over the past two years. I guess you've also failed to see Sanchez perform come postseason play with QB ratings of 139.4 against the Bengals, 93.3 against the Colts, 127.3 against the Patriots and 102.2 against a great Steelers defense. We've gone 4-2 under Sanchez during the playoffs, and Sanchez has also put up 1,155 yards, 9 TD's/3 INT's, a completion % of 60+ and an overall QB rating of 94.1 during 6 career playoff games. You all are right, our 3rd year quarterback sucks.

I guess some Jet fans would have been content going with Kellen Clemens over the past two years.

Wrong. We traded up for Sanchez to land a franchise quarterback.

I guess you've missed out on the playoffs over the past two years. I guess you've also failed to see Sanchez perform come postseason play with QB ratings of 139.4 against the Bengals, 93.3 against the Colts, 127.3 against the Patriots and 102.2 against a great Steelers defense. We've gone 4-2 under Sanchez during the playoffs, and Sanchez has also put up 1,155 yards, 9 TD's/3 INT's, a completion % of 60+ and an overall QB rating of 94.1 during 6 career playoff games. You all are right, our 3rd year quarterback sucks.

I guess some Jet fans would have been content going with Kellen Clemens over the past two years.

Great points. Let's see how he does without one of the best lines, best running games, and a defense that squishes opponents. His post season wins ended at the AFC championship games. not good enough. how many years does it take to get back. 20-35?

Yeah I still don't understand why Sanchez went as high as he did. He doesn't have any off the charts physical skills, obviously isn't great at reading defenses and he probably played 3 opponents in college that weren't completely outclassed by USC. You would think that a top 5 pick would at least have to have a larger body of work and/or some crazy physical attributes.

Great post and so true.

Watching Luck vs. Colorado right now and the guy is just a mutant. Doesn't fluster, ball explodes out of his hand, and is accurate (even on the move). I know, I know--let's wait to see what he does in the pro's, etc. But, all the tools are there in bunches. Quibble all you want about Sanchez v. Fitzpatrick, too. You'd have a better chance of winning that one as opposed to Sanchez v. Luck.

There are other QBs out there to draft if the Jets want to get real about QB.

Robert Griffin III (RG 3) from Baylor is unreal. Youll be hearing about him on draft day assuming he keeps his current pace. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Griffin_III

Landry Jones from Oklahoma is looking good as well.

Just saw the graphic that Ryan Fitzpatrick has been sacked twice all year. Must be all those All-Pros on the offensive line.

LOL. Tom I know you are aware that big names in no way determine how well a line is performing as a unit. The Jets simply gave no thought to their depth or severely over estimated the talent level of it.

LOL. Tom I know you are aware that big names in no way determine how well a line is performing as a unit. The Jets simply gave no thought to their depth or severely over estimated the talent level of it.

Ok but the Bills line has been considered one of the worst in the league for a while and there have been no changes since last year. A good QB makes his line look a lot better by knowing when to get rid of the ball.

Also it looks like the Vikings and Colts are about to get wins this week, things keep looking more and more likely the phins get Luck.

Ok but the Bills line has been considered one of the worst in the league for a while and there have been no changes since last year. A good QB makes his line look a lot better by knowing when to get rid of the ball.

Also it looks like the Vikings and Colts are about to get wins this week, things keep looking more and more likely the phins get Luck.

Fitzy was sacked 24 times last year. Was he a bad QB last year who is now suddenly good? Has it taken him more seasons than Sanchez is allowed to learn to get rid of the ball?

Our line this year has been a jail break for the majority of the season. Sanchez has had some brutal INTs but this mentality of blaming what is going on with our offense on him is without merit. Right now we cannot run or give our QB time even in a three step drop. It all starts with the line. If they suck there is no possibility of consistent positive plays.

Fitzy was sacked 24 times last year. Was he a bad QB last year who is now suddenly good? Has it taken him more seasons than Sanchez is allowed to learn to get rid of the ball?

Our line this year has been a jail break for the majority of the season. Sanchez has had some brutal INTs but this mentality of blaming what is going on with our offense on him is without merit. Right now we cannot run or give our QB time even in a three step drop. It all starts with the line. If they suck there is no possibility of consistent positive plays.

He's started less games than Sanchez. Sanchez has had time to learn basic parts of being an NFL QB. While it would be interesting to see him under a different coordinator it wouldn't change the fact that he never feels a pass rush and is completely oblivious to it at all times.

He's started less games than Sanchez. Sanchez has had time to learn basic parts of being an NFL QB. While it would be interesting to see him under a different coordinator it wouldn't change the fact that he never feels a pass rush and is completely oblivious to it at all times.

Not true. We saw Sanchez escape many a sack last season and improvise and make a positive play out of nothing. We too easily forget the comeback games last year in which he literally saved our season. He's been bad and he's been good in his career but I woud not label him either based on this years line. As for starts, they basically have the same amount of NFL starts.

Well thank God that you took the time while making a thread about Andrew Luck to make sure everyone knows how much you think Sanchez sucks. I mean, there's certainly no means whatsoever by which anyone would have already known that was your opinion. Imagine if nearly every thread on this board ended up having something to do with Sanchez? Man would that be annoying, and make this place nearly unreadable, but it's a good thing we don't have to deal with anything like that.

+1 it would almost make this place unbearable, definitely. Jets have a good TEAM...if we can get it together, get on the same page and have everyone contribute by just playing their f---king game, we can beat anybody...so it's pretty much irrelevant right now who is the best fantasy player on the team. Shonn Greene is looking like a third year fizzle right now, but I'm not going sour on him either. Last week, we saw (and were reminded of..) a team that had a major talent problem at center, to go with our only other tiny flaw, Hunter. Now, with Mangold back, to me this team can play with anyone and all across the board, we have guys that can and have made big plays in big spots. Every starter on this team has done big things on the field, on the road, against the Pats.

Yeah, the problem is not sanchez, it's that they can never put a complete f--king game together. Today would be a nice time to for the first time.

this offense is a joke and if you're hating on luck then you haven't seen the guy play. i love sanchez, but luck has a better then average chance to be just as good if not better then sanchez. if he goes to miami he's going to need a line and a chance to develop. if we have the first pick we shouldn't take luck. sanchez is good, he just needs some help.

Art Schlichter, Tim Couch, Akiki Smith, JaMarcus Russell and especially Ryan Leaf all had all the tools, talent and potential as well. Lets use Leaf and the Chargers as an example. They destroyed his NFL career. The same would happen to Luck with the Dolphins. He'd become destroyed with no hope.

A) The Dolphins don't have the type of offensive line that's ready to protect for a rookie.

B.) The Dolphins lack any type of run game, to protect a rookie QB, now that Brown and Williams have both moved on,

C) They don't have the type of defense that can take the pressure off a young rookie quarterback.

Luck wouldn't last in Miami. I'm not sure Roethlisberger would. They're more than just a franchise QB away from success, they're a full roster away from postseason contension.

Also, since when has Fitzpatrick became a better quarterback than Mark Sanchez? 4 weeks into a season means nothing in regards to Fitzpatrick. Fitz has been in this league for 7 years now. How many postseason wins? Exactly. He had a decent season last year, big deal, but he also had 4 laughing stock seasons leading up to last year. Sanchez hasn't even completed his 5th game during his 3rd season.

What a tool of a thread.

It hasn't happened yet, but you're soooooooo afraid of him coming to Miami.

Ask the Lions if they had a team ready to incorporate Matt Stafford.

They actually kinda did.

Offensive line was in shambles and so was the defense. His point is stupid, a lot of people are trying to find something bad to say about Luck and they're all hilarious.

Luck is going to win multiple championships wherever he goes and be one of the greats of all time. He's the best college prospect I've ever seen. The last person I said that about was Calvin Johnson.

His point is stupid

That's always true. But, Gato is right, Detroit has had some good things going for it, and is starting to show it.

That doesn't mean the Dolphins can't do the same. But, there's a lot of bad football to be played before we get there.

Archived