Darrelle Revis - Antonio Cromartie - Kyle Wilson

Ghost

Let's forget what the outcome of the season will be. Kyle Wilson is the most improved person on the team, and in my opinion, has a shot for most improved in the entire NFL.

We all know how good Darrelle Revis is, but here is something I did not know..

Kyle Wilson Has Gradually Become Darrelle Revis-Lite

Kyle Wilson spent time during the lockout at the Darrelle Revis School of Cornerback Play. He's not only gotten better as a result, but is dominating opposing receivers so thoroughly that he may soon carve out a second island in the Jets' secondary.

After a shaky rookie season, Wilson traveled to Arizona this to see first-hand how Revis trains physically and mentally. Wilson seems to have regained his confidence this season as he is finally playing up to the potential the Jets saw when they make him a first-round pick in 2010. Quarterbacks have thrown passes to the receiver defended by Wilson 21 times this year for a passer rating of just 41.5, fourth best among the 83 cornerbacks targeted at least 20 times in 2011. As a rookie, he allowed a 91.1 rating on the 41 passes—71st among the 92 qualifying cornerbacks.

Wilson had a bigger bullseye on his uniform last year than that 2010 target total suggests. After struggling badly, he spent many passing downs on the sidelines. But this year, he's the first cornerback off the bench when opponents field a third wide receiver, something that happens quite frequently in this pass-happy NFL. Quarterbacks have learned not to make a point of throwing at Wilson. But with Revis taking out the opponent's No. 1 receiver and former first-team All-Pro Antonio Cromartie often holding his own against the enemy's No. 2, passers are left with targeting Wilson or their fourth- or fifth-best options.

Wilson didn't stop closely monitoring Revis in Arizona. As soon as he arrived at training camp, he became Revis's lockerroom neighbor. As defensive coordinator Mike Pettine noted in August, "If you're going to pick a guy to kind of shadow and get yourself better, that's not a bad choice."

—Michael Salfino

I hope we all know who #1 is?

The point of this thread is the Jets NEED to find a ballhawk safety immediately and this secondary might be one of the best of all-time. Some may say that he's making Cro expendable, which I think would be a mistake!

#24, #31, #20!!!

Gotta go with Ryan Fitzpatrick for the most improved... after last year, it wasn't even clear if he'd be held over. In 8 games he has played himself into a new contract.

Wilson's a nice story for the Jets, good to see him not being awful anymore... but he only comes up in the conversation of "most improved" if there is a Jets homer involved in the conversation.

Gotta go with Ryan Fitzpatrick for the most improved... after last year, it wasn't even clear if he'd be held over. In 8 games he has played himself into a new contract.

Wilson's a nice story for the Jets, good to see him not being awful anymore... but he only comes up in the conversation of "most improved" if there is a Jets homer involved in the conversation.

alex smith will win over fitz

Aaron Glenn, Darrelle Revis and Kyle Wilson are the only CB's we've drafted during the first round dating back to 1994. Cromartie's also a 1st round draft pick in his own right.

Tannenbaum just hit the nail on the head with the drafting of Wilson. I absolutely love our trio of cornerbacks. Revis is an all world corner who can completely eliminate opposing #1 WR's from the game. Cromartie's a corner who's able to lock up one on one on the outside in man to man coverage. He's very good against tall WR's as speed burning deep threats and Wilson is exactly what we've needed for years on end now, since Ray Mickens, which is a nickel back that can shut down or at least contain slot WR's. That's what we have in Kyle Wilson.

How can anyone consider Wilson as being anything other than a starter? Who really cares that he's not on the outside in replace of Cromartie? The NFL has became a passing league over the years, and when you have QB's such as Brady, Manning, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Rodgers, Brees, Eli, Romo, Vick, Ryan, Stafford etc who all love to spread the field and spread the ball around to multiple WR's... There has never been a better time to have a nickel back that can stick to slot WR's stride for stride, as their crossing the middle of the field or running simple out routes. Wilson is very quick, very shifty, has shown very good ball coverage skills as a 2nd year player and at 5'10/190... He's built for coverage against quicker, smaller, slot WR's.

The potential of our secondary goes through the roof under Rex himself. All we're lacking is an elite, ball hawking type of safety who could take advantage of our trio's coverage skill in Revis, Cromartie and Wilson.

I agree on Wilson being one of the most improved. Also agree about the safety. Shame Rhodes was such an A-hole.

Wilson will be well tested over the next two weeks. Both the Bills, and the Pats use their slot receiver a lot. Both will go after Wilson.

Another factor in this is Maybin. He got no sacks in Buffalo in three years. Comes here and gets 3 in three games. A good part of that is that the CB's are giving him the extra second to come again from behind the QB resulting in strips.

If we can have this same conversation in 3 weeks, Wilson is legitimate

gotta disagree - Fitzpatrick was pretty good last year. what'd he have 23 TDs-15 INTs 3000 yds 82 QBR. He's improved but Wilson has inverted his stats.

gotta disagree - Fitzpatrick was pretty good last year. what'd he have 23 TDs-15 INTs 3000 yds 82 QBR. He's improved but Wilson has inverted his stats.

One is a starting QB, the other is the 3rd CB. If anyone beats Fitzgerald, it's probably Alex Smith as Brett suggests above.

Wilson really is having a phenomenal year, and as the season has progressed he's finally starting to get the credit for it. Now granted part of it surely has to do with who they are covering, but it does seem as though teams are often more willing to go after Cro than they are Wilson. While he may not have been making the big plays like turnovers prior to last week, he's been all over the receivers he's been assigned to cover. When you consider he's doing that from the nickel, it's actually that much more impressive. While he may have had a rough start, this guy is proving exactly why the Jets could not have been more thrilled (and surprised) when he was sitting on the board for them in last year's draft. The kid is one hell of a player.

One is a starting QB, the other is the 3rd CB. If anyone beats Fitzgerald, it's probably Alex Smith as Brett suggests above.

i think ur missing the point. even if there was a legitimate award for "most improved player" QBs have no monopoly on consideration just bc they are QBs. In terms of RF - his stats are simply trending up. Is he improved? I guess so yeah. But the whole Buffalo operation is improved. Is that total improvement reducible to RP? I am not so sure. The running back over there - what's his name - has been having his best year.

In terms of Wilson - his stats arent just trending up. They're upside down from last year. You don't go from bottom third in the NFL at ur position in ur 1st year to top 5 in your 2nd year without it being noteworthy in the annals of significance.

Wilson really is having a phenomenal year, and as the season has progressed he's finally starting to get the credit for it. Now granted part of it surely has to do with who they are covering, but it does seem as though teams are often more willing to go after Cro than they are Wilson. While he may not have been making the big plays like turnovers prior to last week, he's been all over the receivers he's been assigned to cover. When you consider he's doing that from the nickel, it's actually that much more impressive. While he may have had a rough start, this guy is proving exactly why the Jets could not have been more thrilled (and surprised) when he was sitting on the board for them in last year's draft. The kid is one hell of a player.

Agree he's improving and that's always a good thing. he was a bit of a late bloomer--probably due to being in the starting lineup sooner than he was ready for. rex had high expectations throwing him out there as a #2 CB his rookie season. So lets be reasonable and say he's shown improvement and has not yet peaked, because stating he's had a "phenomenal season" is a bit hyperbolic for a third corner who once was tagged as a starter a couple of years ago. Revis is the only player we have experiencing a phenominal season (again), and there are a few guys playing good ball, and a few other bit players that are earning more time through improved play (like Wilson and McKnight and Kerley).

i think ur missing the point. even if there was a legitimate award for "most improved player" QBs have no monopoly on consideration just bc they are QBs. In terms of RF - his stats are simply trending up. Is he improved? I guess so yeah. But the whole Buffalo operation is improved. Is that total improvement reducible to RP? I am not so sure. The running back over there - what's his name - has been having his best year.

In terms of Wilson - his stats arent just trending up. They're upside down from last year. You don't go from bottom third in the NFL at ur position in ur 1st year to top 5 in your 2nd year without it being noteworthy in the annals of significance.

Agreed. I was just about post the same thing. It will be either Alex Smith or him because they are QB's but on that same team, Fred Jackson makes a good case too...he's what makes that offense go. Wilson has completely flipped it and has become a top notch nickle back which is extremely important in the NFL but he wont get the recognition.

Right now, Alex Smith wins the award IMO.

Agree he's improving and that's always a good thing. he was a bit of a late bloomer--probably due to being in the starting lineup sooner than he was ready for. rex had high expectations throwing him out there as a #2 CB his rookie season. So lets be reasonable and say he's shown improvement and has not yet peaked, because stating he's had a "phenomenal season" is a bit hyperbolic for a third corner who once was tagged as a starter a couple of years ago. Revis is the only player we have experiencing a phenominal season (again), and there are a few guys playing good ball, and a few other bit players that are earning more time through improved play (like Wilson and McKnight and Kerley).

Late bloomer? lol. Its his 2nd year.

I am glad there is some statistical evidence because I'm not as sold as everybody else. I think he was better than most people thought last year and while he has been very good this season, I am not as impressed with his being "lights out" as everybody else around here. There have been plenty of plays where he got a little lucky - could have been called for PI or beaten with a better throw. Last season he was generally close to his man, but the call went the other way or he didn't get his head turned around fast enough. I've always figured him for a decent corner, but I'm not sure of the ceiling. I'm glad he doesn't seem allergic to sticking some people either.

Actually, I'd argue that you are missing the point... QBs are the most visible and impactful position on the field. Not #3 cornerbacks. Most awards like this are doled out by the halfwits in sports media, who despite spending 10+ hours a day surrounded by the sport have the same knowledge base about the actual sport as the typical housewife that only watches the Superbowl and wins the boxes after only buying one.

It's not necessarily worth arguing over - just pointing out that NOBODY other than Jets fans care that Wilson is better this year, than he was last year.

Late bloomer? lol. Its his 2nd year.

yeah, and he's the third corner. He opened his rookie year as a starter. And he sucked bad all year. This year he started a bit slow and has shown improvement through most of his regular season games. An early bloomer would have been if he kept his starting job. A more normal progression would have been if he could have taken the #2 spot when Cro was left unsigned. He's still third and not moving up. Not yet. he's got a ways to go. Saying he's a late bloomer is realistic considering he's not covering #1 or #2 receivers. This isn't a bad thing. A non-bloomer is a bad thing. He's needed some work and he's embraced that, putting in his time and gaining confidence along the way. no knock there. Still, he's not covering Megatron, Andre Johnson Wes Welker, etc. He's covering the Jeremy Kerleys of the NFL. But at least he's covering them.

Let's forget what the outcome of the season will be. Kyle Wilson is the most improved person on the team, and in my opinion, has a shot for most improved in the entire NFL.

The point of this thread is the Jets NEED to find a ballhawk safety immediately and this secondary might be one of the best of all-time. Some may say that he's making Cro expendable, which I think would be a mistake!

#24, #31, #20!!!

Two things - one, Cro is getting eaten alive out there. I blame him just as much as the safeties, if not MORE. He's supposed to be better than this. As for the safeties, well, how many safeties do you know that shut down Antonio Gates in man-to-man coverage? GET REAL!!!!!!!!!

Two, unbelievable info about Wilson considering how many were calling him a bust just a few weeks ago! Let's make this guy #2 and put Cro on T.E.'s

yeah, and he's the third corner. He opened his rookie year as a starter. And he sucked bad all year. This year he started a bit slow and has shown improvement through most of his regular season games. An early bloomer would have been if he kept his starting job. A more normal progression would have been if he could have taken the #2 spot when Cro was left unsigned. He's still third and not moving up. Not yet. he's got a ways to go. Saying he's a late bloomer is realistic considering he's not covering #1 or #2 receivers. This isn't a bad thing. A non-bloomer is a bad thing. He's needed some work and he's embraced that, putting in his time and gaining confidence along the way. no knock there. Still, he's not covering Megatron, Andre Johnson Wes Welker, etc. He's covering the Jeremy Kerleys of the NFL. But at least he's covering them.

He really didn't, though. Like Dom said, he was better than most people were giving him credit for. It was obvious that he was very capable of sticking to his man, his main problem was turning around and facing the QB. But that created another problem where he was getting beat, and you could see his confidence wan.

He always needed refining, not wholesale improvements in his game. His coverage ability and physicality was always there. He just needed to clean it up.

He's thriving in the nickel role, which is no easy position to play. I have little doubt that he'd have no trouble with the #2 CB job this season. The bigger problem is that there's no way Cromartie could handle the slot.

CB is a very difficult position to play, especially in todays NFL. Not most corners dont come into the league and tear it up during their rookie season. I dont really see how you can call someone in their 2nd year a late bloomer. It really doesnt make any sense. If the was year 4, ok, I hear ya. Year 2? Thats a bit on the extreme side. Especially considering he was a late round pick. Its not like he was drafted in the top 10 where you expect a player to be your day 1 and be great from day 1.

Just think you're being harsh, thats all.

Just to be clear, I was speaking in relative terms. I'm not saying he's having one of the best seasons in the league, but he's played better than any team would ever reasonably expect their nickel corner to play. When you consider how badly he was getting trashed not just last year, but this preseason as well, he is certainly far exceeding the expectations most had of him coming into this year. The way he's playing, he'd be a starter for all but a handful of teams in the league right now. Hell, an argument can easily be made that he's been the second best corner on the Jets this year, but the fact is Cromartie would never survive at nickel, so he's not about to become a starter here any time soon.

Just to be clear, I was speaking in relative terms. I'm not saying he's having one of the best seasons in the league, but he's played better than any team would ever reasonably expect their nickel corner to play. When you consider how badly he was getting trashed not just last year, but this preseason as well, he is certainly far exceeding the expectations most had of him coming into this year. The way he's playing, he'd be a starter for all but a handful of teams in the league right now. Hell, an argument can easily be made that he's been the second best corner on the Jets this year, but the fact is Cromartie would never survive at nickel, so he's not about to become a starter here any time soon.

yeah, i agree with all that. no argument here. Not so sure he's better at nickel than Cro would be. Cro, though he's prone to take risks and annoys the crap out of me, is one of the better corners in the league. Certainly in the top 30% I'd say. wilson may be on his way to getting there, but he's got a road ahead of him still. The good news is he's getting better. so many come into the league and just collect a check and live on the 1st round draft pick status--Wilson seems like he wants to be the #2 corner and is working toward that. That's commendable a good thing to see.

CB is a very difficult position to play, especially in todays NFL. Not most corners dont come into the league and tear it up during their rookie season. I dont really see how you can call someone in their 2nd year a late bloomer. It really doesnt make any sense. If the was year 4, ok, I hear ya. Year 2? Thats a bit on the extreme side. Especially considering he was a late round pick. Its not like he was drafted in the top 10 where you expect a player to be your day 1 and be great from day 1.

Just think you're being harsh, thats all.

Defensive end is a tough position to play too. Mo wilkerson is holding his own and showing he belongs in there. he was picked at roughly the same position in the draft. Both he an Wilson were handed starting jobs at the beginning of thier respective rookie years. Wilson was very bad and very lost. There are a ton of old threads on him that will back this statement. Rex had to get some help and replacement his as a #2. That replacement cost us a second rnd draft pick. So wilson's lack of early development essentially cost a first and a second round pick and he's still only a nickel corner. Seems to me, every time we have a player doing well, he's suddenly awesome. It's just not the case. Nobodoy in this league knows who Wilson is except Jets fans. And even some Jets fans aren't familiar with him. He's a late bloomer to me. but maybe this is just semantics. We may simply be disagreeing on the definition of the term and not the opinion of the player. He's good and getting better. I'll leave it at that until i see him cover a top receiver consistently.`

Defensive end is a tough position to play too. Mo wilkerson is holding his own and showing he belongs in there. he was picked at roughly the same position in the draft. Both he an Wilson were handed starting jobs at the beginning of thier respective rookie years. Wilson was very bad and very lost. There are a ton of old threads on him that will back this statement. Rex had to get some help and replacement his as a #2. That replacement cost us a second rnd draft pick. So wilson's lack of early development essentially cost a first and a second round pick and he's still only a nickel corner. Seems to me, every time we have a player doing well, he's suddenly awesome. It's just not the case. Nobodoy in this league knows who Wilson is except Jets fans. And even some Jets fans aren't familiar with him. He's a late bloomer to me. but maybe this is just semantics. We may simply be disagreeing on the definition of the term and not the opinion of the player. He's good and getting better. I'll leave it at that until i see him cover a top receiver consistently.`

What are you talking about? Cromartie was a Jet before Wilson was, so his play had absolutely nothing to do with that trade, and as such, Wilson was never expected to be a year one starter. The only reason Wilson was a starter at any point last year was due to Revis holding out, showing up out of shape and then getting injured. None of this is to say he didn't struggle early in the year, as he did and ended up getting demoted below Drew Coleman, but also showed improvement by the end of the year and it was only his rookie year. You can argue that the attempts to get Asomugha and subsequent resigning of Cromartie had to do with Wilson's play, but that 2nd rounder was long gone by then.

Cromartie is definitely the scapegoat at times. I mean, this guy may be inconsistent, but shows up at times and totally dominated. However, we fail to give him credit when he does succeed. We only notice when he's struggling, IMO.

I'm happy with our team.

What are you talking about? Cromartie was a Jet before Wilson was, so his play had absolutely nothing to do with that trade, and as such, Wilson was never expected to be a year one starter. The only reason Wilson was a starter at any point last year was due to Revis holding out, showing up out of shape and then getting injured. None of this is to say he didn't struggle early in the year, as he did and ended up getting demoted below Drew Coleman, but also showed improvement by the end of the year and it was only his rookie year. You can argue that the attempts to get Asomugha and subsequent resigning of Cromartie had to do with Wilson's play, but that 2nd rounder was long gone by then.

right. if he replaces Cro we still lose the 2nd. My bad. i thought Cro getting more playing time and making it to the AFCCG triggered the higher draft pick. Am I wrong on that? Either way he doesn't suck. he did suck, but now he doesn't. he's pretty good. He's just on a bigger learning curve than Rex and some of us expected.

yeah, i agree with all that. no argument here. Not so sure he's better at nickel than Cro would be. Cro, though he's prone to take risks and annoys the crap out of me, is one of the better corners in the league. Certainly in the top 30% I'd say. wilson may be on his way to getting there, but he's got a road ahead of him still. The good news is he's getting better. so many come into the league and just collect a check and live on the 1st round draft pick status--Wilson seems like he wants to be the #2 corner and is working toward that. That's commendable a good thing to see.

Wilson is a better nickel than Cro would be. It's a much more difficult position than you give it credit for. CB's can use the sidelines to their advantage, slot CB's have to cover the whole field.

As a #2 CB, Cro might be capable of more big plays, but I think Wilson would be more consistent.

Seems to be. I Just dont see a player putting it together in year 2 as a late bloomer.

And I think he's playing a lot better than you are giving him credit for.

Aaron Glenn, Darrelle Revis and Kyle Wilson are the only CB's we've drafted during the first round dating back to 1994. Cromartie's also a 1st round draft pick in his own right.

Tannenbaum just hit the nail on the head with the drafting of Wilson. I absolutely love our trio of cornerbacks. Revis is an all world corner who can completely eliminate opposing #1 WR's from the game. Cromartie's a corner who's able to lock up one on one on the outside in man to man coverage. He's very good against tall WR's as speed burning deep threats and Wilson is exactly what we've needed for years on end now, since Ray Mickens, which is a nickel back that can shut down or at least contain slot WR's. That's what we have in Kyle Wilson.

How can anyone consider Wilson as being anything other than a starter? Who really cares that he's not on the outside in replace of Cromartie? The NFL has became a passing league over the years, and when you have QB's such as Brady, Manning, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Rodgers, Brees, Eli, Romo, Vick, Ryan, Stafford etc who all love to spread the field and spread the ball around to multiple WR's... There has never been a better time to have a nickel back that can stick to slot WR's stride for stride, as their crossing the middle of the field or running simple out routes. Wilson is very quick, very shifty, has shown very good ball coverage skills as a 2nd year player and at 5'10/190... He's built for coverage against quicker, smaller, slot WR's.

The potential of our secondary goes through the roof under Rex himself. All we're lacking is an elite, ball hawking type of safety who could take advantage of our trio's coverage skill in Revis, Cromartie and Wilson.

Is there anybody on the team that you don't absolutlely love? And isn't the best?

If someone just read your posts, you would think this is a 16-0 team.

Is there anybody on the team that you don't absolutlely love? And isn't the best?

If someone just read your posts, you would think this is a 16-0 team.

Why don't you love the Jets? A real fan loves the Jets. This can only mean one thing: you are not a real fan. Wilson is actually better than Cromartie. Westerman? dude is a beast! Kerley? I'd do him. And McKnight...oh man that dude is on the verrge of something

#24, #31, #20!!!

I heard today QB passer rating against Revis is 11.0. LOL That's Mariano-sh*t.

Archived