Just like that, Pats are the #1 seed in the AFC

JonEJet

Sheeeesh....Where did I say the Pats D was the Steel Curtain? Check the points allowed column you'll see the NYJ have allowed more points than NEP......does any other stat really carry more weight?

The major problem with that theory is just looking at points allowed also isn't right, as you're counting opponents defensive scores against the defenses. Considering the Jets have a league-leading 7 of those this year, compared to 1 for the Pats, that might be influencing the stats just a tad.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that things are breaking perfectly for jets to make another run, Houston is not very good without Schaub and the Pats have a terrible defense...

I'm not counting on it, but it wouldn't overly shock me either. They could just as easily win as lose to either the Giants or Phins, and as you pointed out, the AFC playoff teams are hardly impressive. The Jets wouldn't stand a chance against the Steelers or Ravens, but they'd have a shot against anyone else.

I find it funny that people find this team so dramatically different from last year's, when in reality the playoff run makes everyone forget what complete crap this team was playing like down the stretch last year. They went into that NE game at 9-2 and only finished 11-5, with one of those two wins being a Week 17 game of the Jets' backups smacking around the Bills after their playoff spot was locked up.

I'm not counting on it, but it wouldn't overly shock me either. They could just as easily win as lose to either the Giants or Phins, and as you pointed out, the AFC playoff teams are hardly impressive. The Jets wouldn't stand a chance against the Steelers or Ravens, but they'd have a shot against anyone else.

I find it funny that people find this team so dramatically different from last year's, when in reality the playoff run makes everyone forget what complete crap this team was playing like down the stretch last year. They went into that NE game at 9-2 and only finished 11-5, with one of those two wins being a Week 17 game of the Jets' backups smacking around the Bills after their playoff spot was locked up.

The defense played like utter crap against the Bears...but I thought that was Sanchez's best game as a pro. He hasn't duplicated that once this year.

The major problem with that theory is just looking at points allowed also isn't right, as you're counting opponents defensive scores against the defenses. Considering the Jets have a league-leading 7 of those this year, compared to 1 for the Pats, that might be influencing the stats just a tad.

Fair point. Minus the points given up on turnovers the Jet D is stellar.

I think we can beat the Ravens, flacco stinks... sancheeze whould just have to stink less..

Pitts is legit better, but big ben is beat up and may not recover if they don't sit him

I think we can beat the Ravens, flacco stinks... sancheeze whould just have to stink less..

Pitts is legit better, but big ben is beat up and may not recover if they don't sit him

I did think about an injured Ben, but then again he didn't do crap in the AFC Championship last year and it didn't matter, so who knows. As far as the Ravens go, it honestly has little to even do with the respective talent of each team, I just don't see the Jets beating them as long as Rex is the coach. At least not any time soon. This coach and team are just too scared of them and they game plan and play like it. You don't win games that way.

Oh stop, of course they're not, but in what world is that the same as trying to prove they're the "worst in the world", and using completely flawed stats as a means to show why they're supposedly worse than the Pats?

No.....you stop.

Jets D sux admit it, you can say flawed stats and all the crap you want but your spin cant change the totals or the fact that they never get off the field with a big stop.

You pointing out how bad the NEP D is like the guy who laughs at someones ugly girlfriend when in fact his girl is just as ugly or worse.

Now go ahead and tell me how Schottenheimer is responsible for 30-40 pts going against the NYJ.

No.....you stop.

Jets D sux admit it, you can say flawed stats and all the crap you want but your spin cant change the totals or the fact that they never get off the field with a big stop.

You pointing out how bad the NEP D is like the guy who laughs at someones ugly girlfriend when in fact his girl is just as ugly or worse.

Now go ahead and tell me how Schottenheimer is responsible for 30-40 pts going against the NYJ.

What are you talking about? You do realize you're the one who brought up the comparison of the Jets and the Pats defenses in the first place right, right? So nobody but you was pointing out anything, but rather responding to your asinine statements. Please find just one instance in this thread where I've said anything positive about the Jets D. All I did was point out that you tried to use stats that are blatantly wrong in order to support this ridiculous theory that the Jets have, to quote you, "the worst defense in the world". Even the incorrect stats you used don't put the Jets anywhere close to the worst in the league, just worse than the Pats, and only thanks to blaming the D for a large number of points they were never even on the field for.

None of this makes the Jets' defense good, it just highlights your inexplicably desperate need for them to be considered the worst, despite there being literally no evidence to support that.

Defense sucks, offense sucks, coaching sucks... how do you figure we're 8-6? Apparently our defense and offense and coaching could suck a lot more than it does. Unless you think they just got eight "lucky" wins in one season.

both are true, we aren't that good a team, but luckily most of the league is terrible

The AFC is wide open this season. Every team has flaws so I wouldn't be surprised if any of the playoff teams win the Super Bowl. The NFC is pretty much the same but the Saints have been looking good lately.

I can't imagine any scenario where anyone in the NFC but the Packers or Saints has a chance in hell, but I guess you never know. AFC I completely agree with you though. AFC Championship is a good money bet to feature one of Ravens/Steelers (my guess would be whichever one wins the division), but beyond that I don't have a clue.

I can't imagine any scenario where anyone in the NFC but the Packers or Saints has a chance in hell, but I guess you never know. AFC I completely agree with you though. AFC Championship is a good money bet to feature one of Ravens/Steelers (my guess would be whichever one wins the division), but beyond that I don't have a clue.

This has to be the most screwed up NFL season I have seen in a long time. Right now I would back the Saints to win the Super Bowl but that could change next Monday if the Falcons knock them off.

You guys are making the playoffs.

What are you talking about? You do realize you're the one who brought up the comparison of the Jets and the Pats defenses in the first place right, right? So nobody but you was pointing out anything, but rather responding to your asinine statements. Please find just one instance in this thread where I've said anything positive about the Jets D. All I did was point out that you tried to use stats that are blatantly wrong in order to support this ridiculous theory that the Jets have, to quote you, "the worst defense in the world". Even the incorrect stats you used don't put the Jets anywhere close to the worst in the league, just worse than the Pats, and only thanks to blaming the D for a large number of points they were never even on the field for.

None of this makes the Jets' defense good, it just highlights your inexplicably desperate need for them to be considered the worst, despite there being literally no evidence to support that.

WHAT??

Blackout posted how the NEP have the worst D in the NFL

You agree.

I dont disagree but contend the NYJ are just as bad or worse.

You say Jets gave up points on turnovers, not the defenses fault.

I say bullsh!t excuse, they never get a big stop all year.

I dont care if they are #7 its all smoke and mirrors. Pig with lipstick on it.

Clear enough?

I certainly wouldn't disagree with that, but trying to proclaim the Jets D as the single worst in the league is laughable and simply an over-reaction to Sunday's game and nothing more.

why does this surprise you.. we overreact to everything here, it's our thing

Outside of the Cowboys in Week One, the Jets have beaten absolutely nobody this year. I think you guys have your expectations set a little high here.

i think you should go look who cinn has beaten this year

or houston

or tn

or dallas

or detroit

or atlanta

some of you guys i think watch the jets, ne, pitts, baltimore and GB and that's about it

Yeah, no. The Jets have been blown out both times they faced the Pats this year. They need to pray that Norv gets the Chargers to win the AFC West because that's their best chance at another fugazi run in the playoffs.

Fugazi? We best the Colts and Pats and thats fugazi? I could understand going up against the Bengals then Chargers, but last years playoff run was far from fugazi dude.

This means nothing. They have been shown the door at home in the first game of the playoffs the last two seasons!

Fugazi? We best the Colts and Pats and thats fugazi? I could understand going up against the Bengals then Chargers, but last years playoff run was far from fugazi dude.

And what does last year have to do with anything? Nothing.

Wasn't that the common echo heard here at JN earlier in 00s? The answer is yes.

The NFC and AFC is wide-open.

Jets could make a Superbowl run or be bounced by the Texans in their first game.

Jets could make a Superbowl run or be bounced by the Texans in their first game.

Yet someone mentioned that our prior years playoff run was fugazi. Im not disagreeing with you when asking what does last year have to do with "today". This is a new year and a new team, you simply cant compare the two. I didnt really understand your comment to me actually. All I said was "to beat Peyton, Brady and a 2nd half comeback away from Beating Roethlisberger is FAR from fugazi".

I wasnt sure if you were adding to my comment in concurrence or responding in disagreement.

Either way I think your statement is correct, I just wanted to make it clear that I dont think our playoff run in prior years were fugazi. We beat 1 "easy" team in the bengals. And when I say easy I dont mean that in disrespect (we have bengal fans here), I mean that the Jets overall were actually picked to win this game. Every other game we werent supposed to win by the "experts". The other teams we beat were considered elite in the Colts/Pats and Chargers which by the way was on an 11 game winning streak until we went into their stadium and ended it.

Fugazi football teams dont do that.

It shows that this team chokes without the benefit of video assistance. Thats all.

It shows that this team chokes without the benefit of video assistance. Thats all.

Ok.

With cameras: 84-28 (.750) Did not include the first year in New England...otherwise my point would be even stronger.

Without: 62-19 (.765)

Sure. It was all the cameras.

The D has gotten progressively worse.

In the last three playoff games,the D has been the issue.

-Against the Giants, the ball literally slipped through their hands.

-As bad as Brady played against the Ravens, the Run D was even worse.

-And last year, all credit to the Jets O, really, the D did not make one stop after Brady closed the gap a few times.

It is not the only cause for the three losses, but it has rarely come up.

Ok.

With cameras: 84-28 (.750) Did not include the first year in New England...otherwise my point would be even stronger.

Without: 62-19 (.765)

Sure. It was all the cameras.

The D has gotten progressively worse.

In the last three playoff games,the D has been the issue.

-Against the Giants, the ball literally slipped through their hands.

-As bad as Brady played against the Ravens, the Run D was even worse.

-And last year, all credit to the Jets O, really, the D did not make one stop after Brady closed the gap a few times.

It is not the only cause for the three losses, but it has rarely come up.

the whole camera point is idiotic... brady is one of the best qb's of all time and that's why you win so much.. jets fans can't deal with reality

They MIGHT have had a shot with Schaub or even Leinart, but they're screwed with this guy. They could/should be an issue next year with Johnson and Williams back full time.

it's amazing how crappy an OC kubiak becomes with yates as opposed to schaub

Archived