SI Mock Draft

CobraVerde

16. New York Jets -- Mark Barron, S, Alabama

The Jets defense took a step back this season, in part because safety Jim Leonhard was hurt. Even if Leonhard is back, they need to strengthen the secondary, and Barron can help at multiple positions.

i lovvveee barron.... but ive heard him graded at 2nd-3rd rounder... but maybe his play down the stretch upgraded him?

He's most definitely not a 3rd rounder.

Really good player with legit NFL size and (hopefully numbers backed) athleticism. If he throws up workout numbers he's going in the first...He's not Ed Reed if that is what you're looking for, but f that noise as it is irrelevant.

Two things you like right off the bat (well...actually after he's already rounding first due to his size/athleticism):

1 - He was coached by Saban and his staff in Alabama.

2 - He logged alot of time with Saban and his coaching staff.

NFP broke him down.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Draft-Talk-150.html

They also metion Vontaze Burfict, who I think is worth the risk to replace Scott, but only as a second round pick.

As far as who I would like the Jets to take round one. I wont oppose Barron, because I believe he wont suck, his floor is above Smith's ceiling. I would prefer I don't know I haven't done any homework on the draft

NFP broke him down.

http://www.nationalf...t-Talk-150.html

They also metion Vontaze Burfict, who I think is worth the risk to replace Scott, but only as a second round pick.

As far as who I would like the Jets to take round one. I wont oppose Barron, because I believe he wont suck, his floor is above Smith's ceiling. I would prefer I don't know I haven't done any homework on the draft

As a first round candidate and second round pick Dont'a Hightower >> Vontaze Burfict.

NFP broke him down.

http://www.nationalf...t-Talk-150.html

I love to see a guy come in and start S from day one one..

To be honest I would prefer a guy like Luke Keuchley, his motor is unquestioned and he is a football player. Burfict is an extreme hit or miss. He could be the best player or just another washout

Keuchly is pretty nasty and the only sure first rounder in the bunch...I think Burfict has that tag you give him right now and he's maybe a 3rd round pick. I think Hightower is a nice mix of the two...the size of Burfict with solid athleticism and a smart game on the field like Kuechly...Possibly this year's early 2nd round LB future stud.

Keuchly is pretty nasty and the only sure first rounder in the bunch...I think Burfict has that tag you give him right now and he's maybe a 3rd round pick. I think Hightower is a nice mix of the two...the size of Burfict with solid athleticism and a smart game on the field like Kuechly...Possibly this year's early 2nd round LB future stud.

I can't argue with either. Burfict is already on his way down, if he does poorly in the combine interviews, he'll fall even more. But I wouldn't mind that he could be a steal. On sheer athleticism, he looks almost peerless, but it's the 6 inches between the ears that has me concerned. He does disappear in games, so it is a big red flag.

After the season the Jets had, I'm more inclined to take a guy that is a positive influence in the locker room. So Keuchly, Hightower, Barron, or T'eo, would be fine.

16th is too high for Barron and i'm a bama fan, he is late 1st rounder and is very good, drafting on need is not wise, if trent is there u have to take him, he is top 5 player in entire draft and BTW Greene blows

Just looking at the similarities...16th pick...late first round grade...many said the Steelers "reached". Sometimes you just have to draft for need...

TROY POLAMALU troy_polamalu.jpgPosition: S

Class: Sr

School: Southern Cal

Conference: Pac-10

Ht., Wt.: 5'10, 206

40 Time: 4.51

Grade: 4.06

Selected by Pittsburgh Steelers

Round 1, pick 16 (16 overall) BIO: Three-year starter. Saw ex10sive action at safety and linebacker as a true freshman. All-Conference selection last year posting 68 tackles, one interception and four pass defenses, also accumulating 12 tackles behind the line of scrimmage. Suffered with an ankle sprain all last season. Totaled 118 tackles with three INTs as a junior, garnering All-America and All-Conference honors. Posted 83 tackles and two INTs as a true sophomore when he initially broke into the starting lineup. Tremendous special teams player who has blocked punts in the past. Recently ran a 4.35 during individual workouts.

POSITIVES: Hard hitting, intimidating safety who likes to mix it up. Flies around the football, displays a closing burst of speed on his way to the action and sacrifices his body to stop the ball carrier. Plays sideline-to-sideline, tough and mentally alert on the field. Works well with cornerbacks, improved his cover skills as a senior and does a solid job manning center field. Fluid in his hips and displays a good back pedal as well as sound cover fundamentals if placed over the slot receiver. Tough and plays with or through pain.

NEGATIVES: Hesitant to react at times and does not always display a decisive move on the ball. Lacks the great recovery speed and better off in a short field.

ANALYSIS: True leader of a defense whose development and productivity as a senior was stunted by injury. Sized to play either safety position and has the mentality to be a killer on special teams. Could be starting late into his rookie season.

PROJECTION: Late First Round

Photo: Otto Greule Jr./Getty Images

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2003/draft/players/14398.html

Just looking at the similarities...16th pick...late first round grade...many said the Steelers "reached". Sometimes you just have to draft for need...

TROY POLAMALU troy_polamalu.jpgPosition: S

Class: Sr

School: Southern Cal

Conference: Pac-10

Ht., Wt.: 5'10, 206

40 Time: 4.51

Grade: 4.06

Selected by Pittsburgh Steelers

Round 1, pick 16 (16 overall) BIO: Three-year starter. Saw ex10sive action at safety and linebacker as a true freshman. All-Conference selection last year posting 68 tackles, one interception and four pass defenses, also accumulating 12 tackles behind the line of scrimmage. Suffered with an ankle sprain all last season. Totaled 118 tackles with three INTs as a junior, garnering All-America and All-Conference honors. Posted 83 tackles and two INTs as a true sophomore when he initially broke into the starting lineup. Tremendous special teams player who has blocked punts in the past. Recently ran a 4.35 during individual workouts.

POSITIVES: Hard hitting, intimidating safety who likes to mix it up. Flies around the football, displays a closing burst of speed on his way to the action and sacrifices his body to stop the ball carrier. Plays sideline-to-sideline, tough and mentally alert on the field. Works well with cornerbacks, improved his cover skills as a senior and does a solid job manning center field. Fluid in his hips and displays a good back pedal as well as sound cover fundamentals if placed over the slot receiver. Tough and plays with or through pain.

NEGATIVES: Hesitant to react at times and does not always display a decisive move on the ball. Lacks the great recovery speed and better off in a short field.

ANALYSIS: True leader of a defense whose development and productivity as a senior was stunted by injury. Sized to play either safety position and has the mentality to be a killer on special teams. Could be starting late into his rookie season.

PROJECTION: Late First Round

Photo: Otto Greule Jr./Getty Images

http://sportsillustr...yers/14398.html

I am a Bama fan , watch every game, he is very good, just not the 16th best player in draft. U take best player on your board. If Trent is there u run not walk to podium

I am a Bama fan , watch every game, he is very good, just not the 16th best player in draft. U take best player on your board. If Trent is there u run not walk to podium

RB have a short shelf life...rather have the Safety...but hey what do I know...they'll prolly draft a TE again...

Still like the comparision to Troy...and look how that turned out...I'm sure McGahee and Larry Johnson were rated ahead of him in 03.

RB have a short shelf life...rather have the Safety...but hey what do I know...they'll prolly draft a TE again...

Still like the comparision to Troy...and look how that turned out...I'm sure McGahee and Larry Johnson were rated ahead of him in 03.

at 16 Upshaw or Hightower are better choices, jets may trade down and get barron in 20's. One thing about Barron, he tore a pectoral muscle last year. those

injuries tend to re-appear

at 16 Upshaw or Hightower are better choices, jets may trade down and get barron in 20's. One thing about Barron, he tore a pectoral muscle last year. those

injuries tend to re-appear

Your making it more difficult than it needs to be...you don't always have the luxury of getting the exact value for your pick...there are other teams looking for a safety and would gladly take him.. IMO...its a need, the player is most likely there...you grab him...

Look at what the Pats did IMO in direct response to Revis...they drafted quality TEs to exploit our weakness...we need to address this weakness...if Barron grades out as a first rounder after all the evaluations and combines you take him...keep it simple...fill the need.

Can't complain about the Barron pick. Would remind me of the Pats taking Mayo.... a little too early but the right player, right fit imo.

Agree with this. It's one thing to take a guy a couple of rounds too early, but if you're really talking about +/- 5 to 10 picks, you just take the guy who you think is going to be the best player for your team. While I'm certainly far from a college football or draft expert, JC's suggestion of Barron/Toon sounds pretty damn good to me right about now.

Safety and LB depth are equally needed for us. Then RT should be addressed maybe in the second or third round. Harris is a perfect veteran to take a young Burfict or Kuechley under his wing at the MLB spot. I like the sounds of that. :)

16. New York Jets -- Mark Barron, S, Alabama

The Jets defense took a step back this season, in part because safety Jim Leonhard was hurt. Even if Leonhard is back, they need to strengthen the secondary, and Barron can help at multiple positions.

Didn't he get arrested this year? I don't know the details but man I hope the Jets draft some guys that can stay out of trouble.

Archived