Hope for Sanchez? Who knows, but...

nj meadowlands

Your right 2011 Sanchez didn't have many strengths, they were stripped from him, but 2009 Sanchez had A LOT of RAW talent, and STRENGTHS, his foot work was regarded as the best foot work in the NFL prior to him even taking a snap, and his athletic ability was very good. The slow process of the Jets stripping him of this started his rookie season, first it was them telling him to stop running, and trying to change his natural instinct as a QB, by telling him to slide immediately, and never try, and get that extra yardage, then it was red light, yellow light, green light. 2010 was a year filled with extreme highs, and extreme lows, Sanchez got a lot of chances to show his play making ability late in games out of pure necessity, and proved successful more often then not in the late stages of games. Unfortunately this was accompanied by terrible starts to games, and an offense that sputtered for 3 quarters to many times. The nail in the coffin was 2011, the Jets gave him 3 games to sling it, he struggled mightily, but instead of encouraging him, and letting him work threw it they pulled the reigns in, and stripped him of even attempting to be a QB, with that mental shot clock crap check down. He lost his confidence, and his mechanics, because of this, and many other things (mostly a flawed offensive system with a banged up line, and being taught to do the opposite of his every natural instinct IMO).

Trust me I'm not saying I think Sanchez will 100% be a great QB if the Jets let him be what he is, I'm just saying they should give it a chance to see if he can become a good QB, for the investment they made picking him so high.

And your point or someone else's of him running backwards into sacks is valid, and 100% correct, but this is very fixable if the Jets teach him, and let him use his ability to move in a well created pocket, with designed deep drops, and pass protection designed to create clear throwing lanes.

Watch this video of Sanchez at USC, all his drop backs are deep, and his foot work is picture perfect, and he steps up in the pocket, and throws confidently while stepping in to every throw, this is something that an offense can design to create these type of situations for him, disregard the terrible defensive secondary's, and wide open receivers just look at Sanchez from snap to release, and then tell me if that looks like the same guy you seen in 2011.

You mean the video where he hits wide open WRs.

Basically, if you want to talk about his footwork as his strength, which is completely absurd when you consider his ability to move in the pocket (none), you're still left with a QB who has no real strengths involving throwing the football.

Athletic isn't enough when it's all you've got, and it's not Mike Vick athletics.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if memory serves the Jets tried to air it out at the start of this season. Sanchez couldn't handle it and they went back to G & P for the 2nd half of the season.

This came after a truncated off-season and Sanchez and his receivers did not have much time to practice together. Also, I think Plax was one dimensional and was covered easily. Santonio only caught 52% of balls thrown his way. Even if 10% we bad throws that that is still a bad number for a top receiver.

Basically, if you want to talk about his footwork as his strength, which is completely absurd when you consider his ability to move in the pocket (none), you're still left with a QB who has no real strengths involving throwing the football.

Athletic isn't enough when it's all you've got, and it's not Mike Vick athletics.

He was bad enough to get Schotty fired. That's something. Well something until Sparano is back working at his Uncle Stinky's pizza parlor.

2010 video showing players covered and Sanchez making throws into coverage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETzZRlxS6wU

Not every throw he makes is horrible. No one said that.

Too many of them are for us to have an effective offense though.

True. But look at the majority of Eli's passes. Bad passes that good receivers catch. I was showing the video as reference that he can make good throws when guys are wide open and not into coverage.

If he does not fumble, he can be good.

True. But look at the majority of Eli's passes. Bad passes that good receivers catch. I was showing the video as reference that he can make good throws when guys are wide open and not into coverage.

If he does not fumble, he can be good.

I completely disagree with the difference between him and Eli, and there's absolutely nothing in their game that really shows correlations.

I also disagree that his only problem is fumbling, so I guess we're at an impasse.

Jets Fans -

Please search Giants message boards circa 2006 and tag the word "Eli" and I guarantee you will feel a lot better about your QB...

Fact is, Sanchez has near perfect mechanics and is a proven big game winner. Figure out how to keep him away from 18 year olds and Morristown bars before game night and you guys probably win 6 out of the next 10 super bowls.

:rl:

Even Smashmouth doesn't believe this.

so just to summarize, he needs to restore his footwork, his throwing mechanics and his confidence.

this is not a 10 million dollar a year player.

also before we take the Eli comparison too far, Mark Sanchez' dad is not a former starting NFL QB. his brother is not a HOF NFL QB. If that were the case there would be more reasons to be confident this is just a growth phase. That's not fair but that's how the league works.

Yes getting his footwork back to where it was in 2008-2010, and coaching up his mechanics to where they were will promote better play, and all combined will instill confidence IMO, very easy fix, hopefully Sanchez is working on this with his QB guru from Cali I forget his name.

I'm not comparing Sanchez to Manning talent wise here, I never ment it to be taken that way, I can see how it could be thou. Im comparing how 2 highly drafted QB's were handled by the organization that drafted them, and how IMO the Jets mishandled their highly drafted young QB, compared to how the Giants handled Manning, and bringing him along correctly IMO. I could use any number of QB's and not all of them turned out great either.

Also you keep beating this "Sanchez isn't, and shouldn't be paid like a 10 million dollar QB" which would be correct if he was signed as a FA this season, but it's incorrect, because he is still on his rookie contract, a contract signed in 2009 that was actually very fair for where he was drafted, that's how the NFL worked in 2009, they saw it was wrong, and fixed it. Their is no way of avoiding paying Sanchez the money they did the minute they decided to hand that card in at the 2009 draft, and to say otherwise is absurd. If it was your team, and you wanted to cut him after 3 years at the age of 25, and investing 30 million dollars to save paying him 20 million more so be it, I'm just glad it's not your team.

I love Rex. Just don;t think he will survive Sanchez when he tanks again next year. Success? Rex's defense, Lt and Greenes late season emergence, O line play. Obviously this was all before this year.

The only hope i have in life is eating organic bacon 7 days a week, Sanchez is a lost cause

The routes for the WR's for the Jets aren't all 5 yards and Manning throws more than his share of short passes to his WR's (as do the best of the best QBs like Brees, Brady, Rodgers, etc).

I don't know where you get this notion that only the Jets attempt a large number of shorter passes or that it's so disproportionate when compared with the rest of the league. It isn't.

There are plenty of times - and there's no shortage of people who come back from games attesting so - when guys are open downfield and Sanchez either doesn't see it or sees it and doesn't attempt it (I saw this with Pennington as well), or sees it and attempts it but waits too long to pull the trigger and by that time the coverage or safety help has caught up with the receiver. Just because someone's open doesn't mean he'll still be open 2-3 seconds later. Then there is this fabricated sense that Sanchez was simply not allowed to throw the ball past 5 yards and it's not only untrue but unrealistic as well.

Guess who throws a lower percentage of passes under 15 yards (15 yards of air from the LOS) than Mark Sanchez?

Drew Brees

Tom Brady

Matthew Stafford

#1, #2, and #3 in the NFL in passing yards, and all 3 of them threw for over 5000 yards.

Therefore I suppose there will be yet another excuse for fans - good fans like yourself who deserve better - to twist themselves into a pretzel in an attempt to qualify why Mark Sanchez is immune to criticism that measures him up against every other QB who is better than he is.

He'll be the QB next year. There's still a good chance we make the playoffs with him at the helm. We'll also lose 2-3 games that we wouldn't have with a good QB, and get bounced out of the playoffs. It's not like 2007 or most of the 1970s-1990s of course, but it'll again be the team carrying the QB instead of the QB making the rest of the team better. The tragedy isn't in going .500 or a little over it. It's that after watching a not-great team like the Giants win a SB, there's the realization that years are being wasted to give a decidedly undeserving kid a 4 year long tryout.

Yes Sanchez does hesitate to throw the ball down field, I contribute it to him second guessing his natural instincts, and the reason IMO he does this is because of the way he was coached, the Jets hammered home these stupid red light green light, and shot clock systems in practice, and insisted they be used in the games to try and limit TO's, IMO these bad coaching techniques created an unsure 2nd guessing QB, the Jets need to allow Sanchez to play to his instincts, and play freely, it needs to be promoted, and allowed. I don't think this coaching staff ever will allow this unfortunately.

The 3 QB's listed, Brees, Stafford, and Brady all have had their offenses built to what they do best, and they all do a lot of things well, Sanchez was never given this opportunity, and no I don't believe he would ever be mentioned with the likes of those players if he was, but it's not crazy to think he would be a decent NFL QB if he was given that opportunity. Yes we all want better than a decent NFL QB, but the likes of Brees, and Brady don't grow on trees, if the Jets can get a QB the likes of those guys I'll be the first in line to show Sanchez the door, but until then I'll take Sanchez, over the rest that are average QB's that would be available to the Jets this offseason.

Yes Sanchez does hesitate to throw the ball down field, I contribute it to him second guessing his natural instincts, and the reason IMO he does this is because of the way he was coached, the Jets hammered home these stupid red light green light, and shot clock systems in practice, and insisted they be used in the games to try and limit TO's, IMO these bad coaching techniques created an unsure 2nd guessing QB, the Jets need to allow Sanchez to play to his instincts, and play freely, it needs to be promoted, and allowed. I don't think this coaching staff ever will allow this unfortunately.

The 3 QB's listed, Brees, Stafford, and Brady all have had their offenses built to what they do best, and they all do a lot of things well, Sanchez was never given this opportunity, and no I don't believe he would ever be mentioned with the likes of those players if he was, but it's not crazy to think he would be a decent NFL QB if he was given that opportunity. Yes we all want better than a decent NFL QB, but the likes of Brees, and Brady don't grow on trees, if the Jets can get a QB the likes of those guys I'll be the first in line to show Sanchez the door, but until then I'll take Sanchez, over the rest that are average QB's that would be available to the Jets this offseason.

The red-yellow-green turned his - and thereby the team's - season around in 2009. The guy had just become the first QB in history to lose a game behind 300 rushing yards and the defense kicking a$$.

And if Sanchez was an average QB I wouldn't even be so hard on him.

The red-yellow-green turned his - and thereby the team's - season around in 2009. The guy had just become the first QB in history to lose a game behind 300 rushing yards and the defense kicking a$$.

And if Sanchez was an average QB I wouldn't even be so hard on him.

He was also a 22 year old kid starting his 9th game in the NFL, regardless if it worked for that particular season, it doesnt mean it didn't stunt his growth, the Jets should have never expected a rookie to not have bumps on the road, if they thought 2009 was a SB winning roster (which I believe it was) they should have had a QB capable of leading that roster to a SB, something a rookie has NEVER done, this is where they made a huge mistake in decision making, and Sanchez's growth IMO.

If it was your team, and you wanted to cut him after 3 years at the age of 25, and investing 30 million dollars to save paying him 20 million more so be it, I'm just glad it's not your team.

i enjoy how free and easy we are with Woody's money. I don't even want to pay 10 dollars to go to a nightclub on Saturday night. 20 million dollars well thats nothing!

it's pay cut time. The Niners did it with Alex smith.

He was also a 22 year old kid starting his 9th game in the NFL, regardless if it worked for that particular season, it doesnt mean it didn't stunt his growth, the Jets should have never expected a rookie to not have bumps on the road, if they thought 2009 was a SB winning roster (which I believe it was) they should have had a QB capable of leading that roster to a SB, something a rookie has NEVER done, this is where they made a huge mistake in decision making, and Sanchez's growth IMO.

You must be joking. Telling him this is a situation where you want to be extra careful stunted his growth and permanently ruined him?

You can't possibly believe that.

Dude, Gilbride calls no shortage of plays like a predictable, scared old lady. Schottenheimer, for all his faults, tried letting Sanchez loose. It was a disaster.

The OL play had something to do with that disaster but you knew that. Time will tell if he works out or not. I truly believe that you would not cut bait with him at this point.

the 3 year numbers might also be similar to Browning Nagle's or Ken O'Brien's or Richard Todd's. Sanchez is more likely to become one of those than he is a Brees or a Manning. These kind of comparisons are for people who live in a dream world. Younever know what someone is going to be, true. But there are so few of those guys and so many of 'dose guys.

the3 year numbers might also be similar to Browning Nagle's or Ken O'Brien's or Richard Todd's. Sanchez is more likely to become one of those than he is a Brees or a Manning. These kind of comparisons are for people who live in a dream world. Youn ever know what someone is going to be, true. But there are so few of those guys and so many of 'dose guys.

You must be joking. Telling him this is a situation where you want to be extra careful stunted his growth and permanently ruined him?

You can't possibly believe that.

What's so wrong with thinking that a QB was told to be careful in situations (not just 1 or 2 situations a game it was every play he was given a color code), and in the future had his doubts IE 2nd guessing what he sees about making a throw cause the coaching staff might deem it a bad descicion? Let me guess your a big fan of micro managing, cause that is what the Jets coaching staff has done with Sanchez from that point.

The OL play had something to do with that disaster but you knew that. Time will tell if he works out or not. I truly believe that you would not cut bait with him at this point.

Giants OL sucks and at RT there is less of a difference than you realize. McKenzie is that horrible now.

And cutting bait or not depends on what my options would be and what my predicament is. In other words, it's a lot harder for Tannenbaum to cut bait than it would be for a new GM since he was the one who worked Pennington's contract, he drafted Clemens, he traded for Favre, and he traded for Sanchez. He has much more interest than I do that Sanchez works out.

Me? I'm a fan who wants to see the team win a SB, not a GM. I merely believe Sanchez is a detriment to the offense and will continue to be so (save a tease bright spot here & there but you can get that with any never-gonna-be's). To me, a QB - particularly one who eats up such a sizable portion of the money the team is permitted to spend - should be elevating the play of those around him, not being the reason everyone else on both sides of the ball has to be mistake-free.

That stupid red light, green light BS allowed Sanchez make better decisions and actually helped him out. How you turn this into a negative, I will never know. You apologists really are grasping at anything at this point. Do you even remember why they decided to put that system in place? He couldn't make a right decision on the field at the time. It's not like he was tearing it up and all of a sudden they wanted to implement it, they had to due to Sanchez's shortcomings. He didn't know what to do in half the situations he found himself in, he needed some help.

Giants OL sucks and at RT there is less of a difference than you realize. McKenzie is that horrible now.

And cutting bait or not depends on what my options would be and what my predicament is. In other words, it's a lot harder for Tannenbaum to cut bait than it would be for a new GM since he was the one who worked Pennington's contract, he drafted Clemens, he traded for Favre, and he traded for Sanchez. He has much more interest than I do that Sanchez works out.

Me? I'm a fan who wants to see the team win a SB, not a GM. I merely believe Sanchez is a detriment to the offense and will continue to be so (save a tease bright spot here & there but you can get that with any never-gonna-be's). To me, a QB - particularly one who eats up such a sizable portion of the money the team is permitted to spend - should be elevating the play of those around him, not being the reason everyone else on both sides of the ball has to be mistake-free.

Sperm, simple question-Did Sanchez perform well in the Red Zone this year. A simple analysis of that please.

An yes, I realize that a QB should not be judged on that alone. But this is all I am asking for

What's so wrong with thinking that a QB was told to be careful in situations (not just 1 or 2 situations a game it was every play he was given a color code), and in the future had his doubts IE 2nd guessing what he sees about making a throw cause the coaching staff might deem it a bad descicion? Let me guess your a big fan of micro managing, cause that is what the Jets coaching staff has done with Sanchez from that point.

If he can't handle a coach telling him "The game is close; we don't need you to take unnecessary chances here to win the game," caused any long-term problems then he's a far less worthless piece of garbage than I think he is. He's been a QB his whole life. You telling me he doesn't know on his own when not to take stupid risks, and only Rex Ryan informed him of the distinction, and this caused him to be crappy?

If you truly believe that then, contrary to what I thought earlier, it seems I have a higher opinion of Mark Sanchez than you do.

If he can't handle a coach telling him "The game is close; we don't need you to take unnecessary chances here to win the game," caused any long-term problems then he's a far less worthless piece of garbage than I think he is. He's been a QB his whole life. You telling me he doesn't know on his own when not to take stupid risks, and only Rex Ryan informed him of the distinction, and this caused him to be crappy?

If you truly believe that then, contrary to what I thought earlier, it seems I have a higher opinion of Mark Sanchez than you do.

Your spinning my post the wrong way here, one it wasn't the game is close, it was every single play, every single situation. Sanchez, and any young starting QB needs to learn these things, it doesn't happen over night, it comes with experience, if the Jets didn't want Sanchez to make those mistakes in year 1, he should have been holding a clip board watching someone else play game manager, and get Sanchez in when you are good, and ready to deal with the ups, and downs a young QB must go through.

And if it was informed to him on the sideline during a time out, prior to a play similar to the last throw he made against Indy to BE something along the lines were trusting you here Mark make sure you put it where only BE can get it that would be great. Instead it was communicated to him EVERY play through his headset, along with the play, along the lines of yea were calling a pass, but we really dont want you to think here just dump it off or throw it away. Example, so Mark here is (enter play here), red. Let's assume the play had a deep post route called, Mark goes to the line say on the off chance he reads ok I got 8 in the box man coverage no deep safety, I got 1 on 1 here with the deep post, but ok I got red here to, when he drops back he is now trying to decipher in his head if he should believe what he sees, or heed the coaches warning of red, keep it safe, how is that ok? In a situation like this it puts doubt into the head of the QB, you should never teach something that will in turn make a QB doubt himself. It didn't hurt the Jets that season because of their running game, and #1 D, Sanchez wasn't asked to do much, nor should have he been with him being a rookie. But when they pulled the same type of sh*t this season, with the shot clock, this was the final straw that completely shook Sanchez's confidence, and caused Sanchez to be lost, and horrible.

Sperm, simple question-Did Sanchez perform well in the Red Zone this year. A simple analysis of that please.

An yes, I realize that a QB should not be judged on that alone. But this is all I am asking for

No question is that simple and I know you know better.

Is Sanchez "performing well" in a game like the 2nd Bills game? By the numbers he had 4 TD's and 0 INT's in the red zone.

Was he the one instrumental on the play when Keller was standing still all by himself in the back of the EZ with no one within 10 yards of him?

How about on the next TD when Plaxico had his man beat by 5 yards (and the pass was still thrown a little behind him).

Next TD Keller had his man beat and would have walked in if Sanchez led him. Instead Sanchez threw behind him, Keller had to break stride to catch it, then as a result had to break a wrapped-up tackle to get into the EZ.

4th TD was the result of Plaxico fully extending to make a 1-handed catch on a pass thrown out of bounds over his wrong shoulder. The TD Sanchez did a nice job of scrambling and made a perfect throw to Holmes (who was open by a 5 yards as well, but a perfect throw is a perfect throw).

The stats say he was better than Aaron Rodgers. The eyes say he did nothing that Brooks Bollinger couldn't have done.

I've never disputed how horrible Sanchez looked in 2011, it was ugly for the most part, I'm just not ready to dump a 25 year old player who IMO, has showed flashes of brilliance in some really big spots, these flashes were accompanied by a lot of inconsistent play, but a lot of young QB's have these problems, and yes most turn to Joey Harrington, but a few turn to solid NFL QB's.

Let's also call a spade a spade here, the 2011 Jets roster with any QB would not have won a SB, yes a few would have got them to the playoffs not many, but none with this roster, and this offensive coaching staff would have won it all, the team was built poorly, and TBH 2012 outside of a stellar draft, and some serious improvement from some young players starting with most importantly Sanchez could be a lost cause. The Jets have 91 million of their cap invested in 13 players, that leaves 29 million more plus the 8 million carry over to fill 40 other players.

I see a chance of improvement with Sanchez, because of the talent I believe he has, and has shown in small samples (most have come in the biggest spots). That is my opinion, you apparently strongly disagree, your entitled to that opinion. We both know their is a very good chance he will be the starting QB here in 2012, this will straighten out the argument if he should be the Jets QB moving forward.

Your spinning my post the wrong way here, one it wasn't the game is close, it was every single play, every single situation. Sanchez, and any young starting QB needs to learn these things, it doesn't happen over night, it comes with experience, if the Jets didn't want Sanchez to make those mistakes in year 1, he should have been holding a clip board watching someone else play game manager, and get Sanchez in when you are good, and ready to deal with the ups, and downs a young QB must go through.

And if it was informed to him on the sideline during a time out, prior to a play similar to the last throw he made against Indy to BE something along the lines were trusting you here Mark make sure you put it where only BE can get it that would be great. Instead it was communicated to him EVERY play through his headset, along with the play, along the lines of yea were calling a pass, but we really dont want you to think here just dump it off or throw it away. Example, so Mark here is (enter play here), red. Let's assume the play had a deep post route called, Mark goes to the line say on the off chance he reads ok I got 8 in the box man coverage no deep safety, I got 1 on 1 here with the deep post, but ok I got red here to, when he drops back he is now trying to decipher in his head if he should believe what he sees, or heed the coaches warning of red, keep it safe, how is that ok? In a situation like this it puts doubt into the head of the QB, you should never teach something that will in turn make a QB doubt himself. It didn't hurt the Jets that season because of their running game, and #1 D, Sanchez wasn't asked to do much, nor should have he been with him being a rookie. But when they pulled the same type of sh*t this season, with the shot clock, this was the final straw that completely shook Sanchez's confidence, and caused Sanchez to be lost, and horrible.

You should get a job coming up with conspiracy theories. No one on the Jets, Sanchez included, has even slightly hinted that any of this had any effect on him other than reducing turnovers and seeing improvement in his play.

Or is it your assertion that throwing 5 picks against Buffalo and blowing a sure-thing win all by himself (after blowing the whole game against the Saints 2 weeks earlier) would have helped his confidence more than not throwing picks and winning football games? No offense, but it's an understatement to say that's far-fetched logic.

A QB needs to learn not to throw interceptions and blow football games with unnecessary risks. You think the proper way to coach a QB is to not teach him this until years later, and to let him blow game after game? That red-yellow-green was instrumental in the best game of his pro career, which was the playoff game against the Bengals.

I've never disputed how horrible Sanchez looked in 2011, it was ugly for the most part, I'm just not ready to dump a 25 year old player who IMO, has showed flashes of brilliance in some really big spots, these flashes were accompanied by a lot of inconsistent play, but a lot of young QB's have these problems, and yes most turn to Joey Harrington, but a few turn to solid NFL QB's.

Let's also call a spade a spade here, the 2011 Jets roster with any QB would not have won a SB, yes a few would have got them to the playoffs not many, but none with this roster, and this offensive coaching staff would have won it all, the team was built poorly, and TBH 2012 outside of a stellar draft, and some serious improvement from some young players starting with most importantly Sanchez could be a lost cause. The Jets have 91 million of their cap invested in 13 players, that leaves 29 million more plus the 8 million carry over to fill 40 other players.

I see a chance of improvement with Sanchez, because of the talent I believe he has, and has shown in small samples (most have come in the biggest spots). That is my opinion, you apparently strongly disagree, your entitled to that opinion. We both know their is a very good chance he will be the starting QB here in 2012, this will straighten out the argument if he should be the Jets QB moving forward.

Easy to say when they failed with Sanchez.

There is no doubt in my mind you would have made the exact same statement if he was the QB of the Giants and they went 6-10 or 7-9 with him instead of Eli.

Bad QB play affects the receivers, the OL, the ground game, the defense, and the plays called from the sideline. He made everyone worse by being a bad QB. You cannot possibly say what would not have happened if the Jets had a good QB instead of a bad one.

Archived