Hope for Sanchez? Who knows, but...

nj meadowlands

Just as a disclaimer, I am pretty ambivalent on Sanchez currently. I've waffled between every position--calling for the pitchforks, 100% support, everywhere in between.

But as I was sitting, bored, in Evidence class, I tried to cherrypick some evidence to support a view that maybe...juuuust maybe... Mark Sanchez can get it together. After all, this was the worst season of all-time, and I need SOMETHIN!!!

The following are the statistics of Eli Manning's 2006 season and Mark Sanchez's 2011 season, both their 3rd season as starting QB's in the NFL. It should be noted that in his "first" season, Eli only started 9 games (vs. Sanchez's 16); but I think it should also be noted that Eli played in 43 games in college, starting three full seasons (vs. Sanchez's 27, starting one). Eli was also the benefactor of Kurt Warner's tutelage (rather than Kellen Clemens). The stats are, I think, startlingly similar:

Eli Manning, 2006

301/522 - 57.5% - 3,244 yds - 6.2 Y/A - 24 TD, 18 INT - 77.0 Rate - 0 Rush TD

Mark Sanchez, 2011

308/543 - 56.7% - 3,474 yds - 6.4 Y/A - 26 TD, 18 INT - 78.2 Rate - 6 Rush TD

Bizarre. Finally, it should be noted that Eli's 2007 season--his 4th in the league--was his most statistically abysmal, BUT the Giants won the Super Bowl. Can Sanchez right the ship and turn into an Eli Manning-esque success story? Maybe. Who knows. He looks absolutely horrendous right now. But it wasn't too long ago that Eli Manning was an absolute punchline. Perhaps there's something to be said for one of the magic words in the NFL these days -- CONTINUITY.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just as a disclaimer, I am pretty ambivalent on Sanchez currently. I've waffled between every position--calling for the pitchforks, 100% support, everywhere in between.

But as I was sitting, bored, in Evidence class, I tried to cherrypick some evidence to support a view that maybe...juuuust maybe... Mark Sanchez can get it together. After all, this was the worst season of all-time, and I need SOMETHIN!!!

The following are the statistics of Eli Manning's 2006 season and Mark Sanchez's 2011 season, both their 3rd season as starting QB's in the NFL. It should be noted that in his "first" season, Eli only started 9 games (vs. Sanchez's 16); but I think it should also be noted that Eli played in 43 games in college, starting three full seasons (vs. Sanchez's 27, starting one). Eli was also the benefactor of Kurt Warner's tutelage (rather than Kellen Clemens). The stats are, I think, startlingly similar:

Eli Manning, 2006

Mark Sanchez, 2011

Bizarre. Finally, it should be noted that Eli's 2007 season--his 4th in the league--was his most statistically abysmal, BUT the Giants won the Super Bowl. Can Sanchez right the ship and turn into an Eli Manning-esque success story? Maybe. Who knows. He looks absolutely horrendous right now. But it wasn't too long ago that Eli Manning was an absolute punchline. Perhaps there's something to be said for one of the magic words in the NFL these days -- CONTINUITY.

The comparison is clear......and nice post

Not going to happen. Eli is lucky. He has guys like Cruz, Nicks, and Manningham who love to make plahys and in many instances bail out their QB.

Our WRs just gave up on plays and blamed the QB.

Thats why bringing back Homles is a big mistake!

Did Jerricho Cotchery and Braylon Edwards give up on plays too? Because Sanchez has sucked for 3 years, not just 1.

We have another ranking SAC (Sanchez Apologist Club) member in our mist. If the Jets had Nicks, Cruz and Manningham they would quite on Sanchez, as well. Hard not to when you come to the realization your QB throws one semi accurate pass in every 10 attempts. Sanchez makes being a receiver inredibly hard and Eli makes being a receiver easy.

Did Jerricho Cotchery and Braylon Edwards give up on plays too? Because Sanchez has sucked for 3 years, not just 1.

Edwards had like 900+ yards on receiving in the last year he played in a JETS uniform. I am sure all those were thrown to him by Mark.

And lets stop denying that the WRs did not give up on a lot of plays last season!

We have another ranking SAC (Sanchez Apologist Club) member in our mist. If the Jets had Nicks, Cruz and Manningham they would quite on Sanchez, as well. Hard not to when you come to the realization your QB throws one semi accurate pass in every 10 attempts. Sanchez makes being a receiver inredibly hard and Eli makes being a receiver easy.

Yawn!

Well if that's the case - count me in as well!!!

Eli Manning, 2006

Mark Sanchez, 2011

A lifetime of Jetfandom (word?) has, as I am sure you can understand, left me cynical and pessimistic regarding all things Jets.

However, your post is a reasonable proposition and kinda sparked up some hope in me that MS can become the player we all hoped he would be. Obviously only time will tell. Thanks for the nice post.

Eli Manning, 2006

Mark Sanchez, 2011

Thank you very very much. And im glad Peyton manning will not be wearing a Jets jersey.

Not going to happen. Eli is lucky. He has guys like Cruz, Nicks, and Manningham who love to make plahys and in many instances bail out their QB.

A big contributor to this problem (WR's not making plays down field) is the Jets coaching staff not allowing Sanchez to take these chances, they put the clamps on the offense after week 3, Sanchez was told to throw to his checkdown immediately if his first option wasn't open, they even drilled this in practice with a shot clock on Sanchez 1mississippi, 2, 3, checkdown. This is horrific to teach ANY QB, and offense.

Would the WR's make those plays for him of the offense was allowed to? Maybe, and if they didn't make these plays who's fault would it be the QB's, or WR's? Don't know the Jets never tried.

The Jets are in this perdiciment about is Sanchez the future or not because they never tried to find out. And any franchise with any QB would be in the same spot if they ran their offense this way.

As to the original OP referring to Eli, Eli had a brutal 14 games in 07, but the Giants changed OC's, and kept letting Eli throw it, never pulled the reigns in, he and the whole team got hot, and clicked to win the SB, the same this season. Eli still has bad games, and even bad seasons recently, as do most QB's, but he is allowed to continually try and make plays, and has a tendency to get hot, IE streaky, and comes up big in big spots. The Giants stayed the course with their highly drafted franchise QB, tried to find out if he was their guy, this is the right way, and luckily it worked for them.

My first comment is not ment to defend Sanchez, but to kill the Jets O philosophy, and coaching, they handled the QB situation as poor as possible, and any struggling young QB would fail in that atmosphere.

The 2nd point is to defend Sanchez, and kill the Jets coaching. Sanchez has showed the ability to make big plays at times when allowed, and come up big in big spots. And just like Eli did, and as early as this season to, Sanchez looks lost, and is horrific at times.

Will he turn into Eli if he is allowed to try and make plays instead of being reigned in? Probably not, but you will never know until you try it, and not just for 3 games, it should have started year 2, and if it did we would have 2 full seasons of Sanchez playing without restrictions, and have a better body of work to judge him on, all we have right now is 3 seasons of ground and pound, and restricted play. IMO this is why there is 2 completely different radical opinions on Sanchez, your either he sucks cut him, or no in the right system he can turn into Eli, or Brees.

The Jets just need to let him without restriction turn into Sanchez, for better, or worse so they can decide he is their guy, or decide to move on.

When you draft a QB this high you have to be prepared for this, the Jets weren't, and/or willing to do this, which to me says they should have never drafted ANY QB this high in the first place.

Didn't we already have this particular debate a month ago?

I think we've had it 10 times.

And I still find it compelling. It doesn't mean that's what he'll be, but it doesn't mean he can't be Eli, either. That's really the point to me, it's that the book isn't closed on Mark and won't be for a few years yet.

Original poster does fail to list fumbles here, which probably skews against Sanchez. But, obviously, Sanchez came out superior in many of the categories (Y/A surprised me most).

I would also like to know what the "Meadowland effect" is. I think playing in the infernal swamp, in its wind... it can't be good for any QB.

And I still find it compelling. It doesn't mean that's what he'll be, but it doesn't mean he can't be Eli, either. That's really the point to me, it's that the book isn't closed on Mark and won't be for a few years yet.

Original poster does fail to list fumbles here, which probably skews against Sanchez. But, obviously, Sanchez came out superior in many of the categories (Y/A surprised me most).

I would also like to know what the "Meadowland effect" is. I think playing in the infernal swamp, in its wind... it can't be good for any QB.

I tend to agree with you on this. He does need to show significant improvement or have someone make some miraculous catch that leads to a SB win like Eli did in his fourth year though.

Jets Fans -

Please search Giants message boards circa 2006 and tag the word "Eli" and I guarantee you will feel a lot better about your QB...

Fact is, Sanchez has near perfect mechanics and is a proven big game winner. Figure out how to keep him away from 18 year olds and Morristown bars before game night and you guys probably win 6 out of the next 10 super bowls.

Jets Fans -

Please search Giants message boards circa 2006 and tag the word "Eli" and I guarantee you will feel a lot better about your QB...

Thanks, but I don't even need to. I vividly remember thinking Eli was a scrub. I remember seeing games where he was just downright AWFUL. No offense just the facts. He had games where he looked like Rex Grossman in the Colts/Bears Superbowl. So to see him come out of those disasters and cement himself in NFL history, it's been an amazing ride.

I'm pretty sure after both AFC championship loses, the complaints were about the O-Coordinator, not the QB, and the 2 guys who supposedly quit on Sanchez this season, could have just quit because the offensive system, and philosophy sucked, they probably quit on the whole offense due to it's incompetence, and after the O-Coordinator the QB is next in line, and yes Sanchez sucked balls this season, maybe it's because well he just sucks balls, or maybe it's because he lost his confidence, and his mechanics went to sh*t due to poor coaching, poor offensive philosophy, and WR's quitting on him after his confidence started to waiver. There is plenty of evidence and respected opinions of Sanchez losing confidence, and bad mechanics (which he never had before).

This argument will rage on until the end of the Sanchez era, or Sanchez becomes a good QB, and both have valid evidence right now to keep the arguments raging.

Thanks, but I don't even need to. I vividly remember thinking Eli was a scrub. I remember seeing games where he was just downright AWFUL. No offense just the facts. He had games where he looked like Rex Grossman in the Colts/Bears Superbowl. So to see him come out of those disasters and cement himself in NFL history, it's been an amazing ride.

Only disagreement I have is saying that he "looked like Rex Grossman".

He looked WORSE than Rex Grossman on his worst day.

Your guy has better mechanics than Eli, Thats a fact.... and Eli is now realistically a top 5 quarterback in the NFL. So the potential for Sanchez is virtually unlimited.

Don't run him out of town just yet, take it from a Giants fan who wanted to do the same thing to our QB 5 years ago and now wouldn't trade him for any other QB in the league.

A lifetime of Jetfandom (word?) has, as I am sure you can understand, left me cynical and pessimistic regarding all things Jets.

However, your post is a reasonable proposition and kinda sparked up some hope in me that MS can become the player we all hoped he would be. Obviously only time will tell. Thanks for the nice post.

Thanks dude

How's this for another parallel: Eli vs. Tiki/Shockey and Mark vs. Santonio/Plaxico?

It's really Mark vs Sanchize.

I don't think Plax and Santonio are intimidating Mark that much. He's not a complete Okie doke dope like Eli was early in his career.

Rotfl...Those WRs are lucky to have Manning...except Nicks, who would rape and pillage with most QBs (except Sanchez, who'd mix overthrowing him with a whole lot of underthrowing him).

I'm optimistic about Sanchez and I've used the Manning thing in my head too, but Sanchez makes it so difficult to buy. I spent a whole lot of time at the end of last season just laughing at how comically bad he looked out there. It was like he flushed everything they told him to do right down the toilet...

Manning has 68 fumbles in 121 career games I don't know how many of those are lost fumbles thou. That's more than a 1/2 a fumble per game.

Sanchez 29 in 47 games, he fumbles slightly higher than Eli, it's definetly something he needs to work on.

Rotfl...Those WRs are lucky to have Manning...except Nicks, who would rape and pillage with most QBs (except Sanchez, who'd mix overthrowing him with a whole lot of underthrowing him).

I'm not saying that they're not lucky to have Manning, but why leave out Cruz on that list? If you don't believe he's a real talent after what he did this year then you must be sleeping.

Archived