Hope for Sanchez? Who knows, but...

nj meadowlands

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trick Question... Sanchez doesn't have strengths?

In all seriousness, he doesn't. He may still have some potential, and could possibly be good some day. But right now, he doesn't have strengths. He has a few things he's less bad at, but there's nothing he does better than the average NFL QB and a lot he does worse.

Whaaaa? Something about playaction and roll out....

Question for you Gato

If Sanchez played in a offensive system built around his strengths for the last 3 years, and had the same WR's that the Giants had this season, with the same experience with those WR's IE Manningham for 3 years, Nicks for 3, and Cruz for 2, your saying there is zero chance Sanchez would be a good QB? Take into account he never had the reigns pulled in, he was allowed to sling the ball all over the lot, and make mistakes with no change in play calling just like Eli had the last 3 years.

I'm just asking because this is what I would like to see the Jets do give Sanchez: Holmes, Keller, Kerley, and a deep threat at the #2 WR position either bring back Edwards, or a similar player from FA, or the draft, and give Sanchez 2-3 years with no restrictions, during this time Rex can build his defense through the draft, and keep adding pieces. This should have taken place at the end of year 1, and we would be going on year 3 this upcoming season, and Sanchez's future would be much clearer good, or bad.

Like EY said, I'm not sure what Sanchez's actual strengths are, and I'm sick of hearing that it's moving out of the pocket. He maybe flashes that three times a season so far as a pro, most of the time on very calculated playcalls (like the first TD of his career).

So I'll say he'd waste their talent just like he wastes the talent aroud him right now...Nicks is the only one I buy as someone who'd thrive away from Manning anyway....

Trick Question... Sanchez doesn't have strengths?

In all seriousness, he doesn't. He may still have some potential, and could possibly be good some day. But right now, he doesn't have strengths. He has a few things he's less bad at, but there's nothing he does better than the average NFL QB and a lot he does worse.

Your right 2011 Sanchez didn't have many strengths, they were stripped from him, but 2009 Sanchez had A LOT of RAW talent, and STRENGTHS, his foot work was regarded as the best foot work in the NFL prior to him even taking a snap, and his athletic ability was very good. The slow process of the Jets stripping him of this started his rookie season, first it was them telling him to stop running, and trying to change his natural instinct as a QB, by telling him to slide immediately, and never try, and get that extra yardage, then it was red light, yellow light, green light. 2010 was a year filled with extreme highs, and extreme lows, Sanchez got a lot of chances to show his play making ability late in games out of pure necessity, and proved successful more often then not in the late stages of games. Unfortunately this was accompanied by terrible starts to games, and an offense that sputtered for 3 quarters to many times. The nail in the coffin was 2011, the Jets gave him 3 games to sling it, he struggled mightily, but instead of encouraging him, and letting him work threw it they pulled the reigns in, and stripped him of even attempting to be a QB, with that mental shot clock crap check down. He lost his confidence, and his mechanics, because of this, and many other things (mostly a flawed offensive system with a banged up line, and being taught to do the opposite of his every natural instinct IMO).

Trust me I'm not saying I think Sanchez will 100% be a great QB if the Jets let him be what he is, I'm just saying they should give it a chance to see if he can become a good QB, for the investment they made picking him so high.

And your point or someone else's of him running backwards into sacks is valid, and 100% correct, but this is very fixable if the Jets teach him, and let him use his ability to move in a well created pocket, with designed deep drops, and pass protection designed to create clear throwing lanes.

Watch this video of Sanchez at USC, all his drop backs are deep, and his foot work is picture perfect, and he steps up in the pocket, and throws confidently while stepping in to every throw, this is something that an offense can design to create these type of situations for him, disregard the terrible defensive secondary's, and wide open receivers just look at Sanchez from snap to release, and then tell me if that looks like the same guy you seen in 2011.

His footwork was well regarded, that can be admitted. That highlight does remind me of why I liked Sanchez, but you can't help but notice how much more talented USC's offense is as a whole than everyone else.

Absolutely USC was much more talented then just about everyone else that season, but don't dismiss his raw talent, and confidence Sanchez showed, if the Jets can fix his mechanics, and he can regain his footwork, maybe, just maybe his confidence will follow. That's really his only chance to right his NFL career, but he can't do it by himself he needs support, and coaching from the organization.

Absolutely USC was much more talented then just about everyone else that season, but don't dismiss his raw talent, and confidence Sanchez showed, if the Jets can fix his mechanics, and he can regain his footwork, maybe, just maybe his confidence will follow. That's really his only chance to right his NFL career, but he can't do it by himself he needs support, and coaching from the organization.

All he's gotten is support and coaching...Dude needs to do some peyote, find himself, and become a franchise QB. It's not too late by any means, but I'm sick of buying that MORE coddling is the solution. Punch him in the face.

All he's gotten is support and coaching...Dude needs to do some peyote, find himself, and become a franchise QB. It's not too late by any means, but I'm sick of buying that MORE coddling is the solution. Punch him in the face.

Gotta agree there. Tell him to let it all out. Stop holding back

I can see how you thought I ment more coddling, but that's not what I ment, I would love to see him get reemed out by the staff when he does make mistakes, but don't take the ball out of his hands, and tell him not to do certain things, like previous seasons. Let him PLAY.

And get the RIGHT coaching!

The big difference is ATTITUDE, Eli never had a bad attitude, and never let the criticism get him down, Mark has showed bad body language, and thin skin, both need to change for him to become, and stay successful in NY.

You never watched Giants games Eli's first few seasons if you are making this statement. His body language was as bad as it gets.

He also was fortunate to have a OC change and the majority of his locker room cancer removed from the team before taking off.

Not saying Sanchez is going to duplicate his success but sometimes QB's take a few seasons to get it all together. Some Jets fans jump ship immediately the first time things look bleak as I think they feel it separates them from the rest of the fanbase during bad times. Year four will tell a lot about whether Sanchez has a future here.

You never watched Giants games Eli's first few seasons if you are making this statement. His body language was as bad as it gets.

He also was fortunate to have a OC change and the majority of his locker room cancer removed from the team before taking off.

Not saying Sanchez is going to duplicate his success but sometimes QB's take a few seasons to get it all together. Some Jets fans jump ship immediately the first time things look bleak as I think they feel it separates them from the rest of the fanbase during bad times. Year four will tell a lot about whether Sanchez has a future here.

I don't recall, but I will take your word about Eli's body language, but he never let anything bother him in terms of criticism Mark needs to learn this.

YEAR 2 FOR BOTH QB's

sanchez 2010

278-507 ...3,291 yards.....54.8% completion %.......17 td.....13 INT.......75.3 QB RATING

eli manning 2005

294-557.......3762 yards......52.8 completion %......24 TD.....17 INT.....75.9 QB RATING

YEAR 3 FOR BOTH QB's

sanchez 2011

287-511....3267 yards.....56.2 completion %......24 TD.....15 INT......79 QB RATING...... ( 1 game left btw)

eli manning 2006

301-522......3244 yards......57.7 completion %....24 TD....18 INT....77 QB RATING

these guys have strikingly similar numbers in years 2 and 3 of their careers....i didn't include eithers rookie year for comparison b/c ELI only started 9 games.........oh yeah, and SANCHEZ MADE THE FREAKIN AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME HIS FIRST 2 YEARS IN THE LEAGUE!!!!

I've been on this bus for a while now

The Giants beat the Patriots twice in the Super Bowl after the 2007 and 2011 seasons. Both of those years the Giants were 10-6. The whole problem with this premise is that 10-6 in the division that we are in will never win the division 'anymore'. The 2007 and '11 Pats won 30 regular season games, so Mark Sanchez (if he is ever going to match Eli) has NO ROOM for error, as the home field advantage seems to be less important in the NFC than it does in the AFC...(anybody want to put their money on Sanchez NOT making those errors? yea, me neither). So what I'm saying is the Jets are NOT winning the AFC East anytime soon-not with Tom Brady at QB up there...thus the Jets aren't going to any Super Bowl until the Patriots are out of the way-that might take another 5 years or so.

This isn't SFJ being a member of "The Tom Shane Sanchez/Jets Hating Club", this is a Jets and lifetime FOOTBALL fan just being realistic...

YEAR 2 FOR BOTH QB's

sanchez 2010

278-507 ...3,291 yards.....54.8% completion %.......17 td.....13 INT.......75.3 QB RATING

eli manning 2005

294-557.......3762 yards......52.8 completion %......24 TD.....17 INT.....75.9 QB RATING

YEAR 3 FOR BOTH QB's

sanchez 2011

287-511....3267 yards.....56.2 completion %......24 TD.....15 INT......79 QB RATING...... ( 1 game left btw)

eli manning 2006

301-522......3244 yards......57.7 completion %....24 TD....18 INT....77 QB RATING

these guys have strikingly similar numbers in years 2 and 3 of their careers....i didn't include eithers rookie year for comparison b/c ELI only started 9 games.........oh yeah, and SANCHEZ MADE THE FREAKIN AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME HIS FIRST 2 YEARS IN THE LEAGUE!!!!

I've been on this bus for a while now

There are other things to consider, like the defense they play behind. How much is the QB being asked to do in order to win? I'll illustrate:

How often do the Giants lose when the defense holds the other team to under 20 pts?

2011? Once.

2010? Zero.

2009? Zero.

2008? Zero

2007? Zero.

2006? Zero.

2005? Zero.

2004? Once (his first game).

How often have the Jets lost when the defense gives up under 20 points with Sanchez?

2011? Two times.

2010? Three times. (Four times if you include the playoffs)

2009? Three times.

What's so maddening is that, disturbing as this is on its face, 6 of those 9 - NINE!!! - losses the defense actually gave up 10 points or less. And we still lost. The Giants, with Eli at QB, have never lost a single game when the defense lets up 10 points or less.

The guy just flat-out sucks. Even with a stout defense we stand a damn good chance of losing with Mark Sanchez at the helm.

So comparing the two isn't exactly apples and apples since Eli didn't have the support of a top-10 defense until his 5th season and it's money in the bank when the defense does show up.

There are other things to consider, like the defense they play behind. How much is the QB being asked to do in order to win? I'll illustrate:

How often do the Giants lose when the defense holds the other team to under 20 pts?

2011? Once.

2010? Zero.

2009? Zero.

2008? Zero

2007? Zero.

2006? Zero.

2005? Zero.

2004? Once (his first game).

How often have the Jets lost when the defense gives up under 20 points with Sanchez?

2011? Two times.

2010? Three times. (Four times if you include the playoffs)

2009? Three times.

What's so maddening is that, disturbing as this is on its face, 6 of those 9 - NINE!!! - losses the defense actually gave up 10 points or less. And we still lost. The Giants, with Eli at QB, have never lost a single game when the defense lets up 10 points or less.

The guy just flat-out sucks. Even with a stout defense we stand a damn good chance of losing with Mark Sanchez at the helm.

So comparing the two isn't exactly apples and apples since Eli didn't have the support of a top-10 defense until his 5th season and it's money in the bank when the defense does show up.

Great stat!

Now there are 2 things I would also want to consider here.

1. Offensive philosophy, the Jets run the ball, and the closer the game the more running they do, which can keep teams in games when they shouldn't be, you pass to score in this league like the Giants do, and run to win, and finish games. It seems the Jets for the better part of 3 years only passed out of necessity.

2. Brian Schottenheimer!!!!!!!! The Jets will find out if this was due to his idiotic game plans, play calls, and terrible in game adjustments.

Some are in the it's Sanchez he sucks I've seen enough, and there is plenty there to think that way.

Others like me are willing to find out if it was JUST Schotty. Season 4 will be very telling, and I really want to see Sanchez get 1 more shot here with a new offense. I also think there is plenty we have seen from him in 3 years to think this way to.

We can have this argument all day every day leading up to the season, and I believe were both valid in our arguments, whether we are proved right or wrong in the future you can look back, and we can keep the I told you so's out of it IMO.

I don't blame guys like SFJ, for wanting to move on and get a QB in here who has a good track record for not giving the other team points, he has been watching since the 60's, and is a frustrated fan, and well deserved of a winning product after 43 years of rooting for this team with no SB's.

I hope Sanchez proves to be that guy, and I know you, and most others will be very happy if he does bring home the hardware for us, rather then the very minimum who would rather be right, and watch him fail.

Great stat!

Now there are 2 things I would also want to consider here.

1. Offensive philosophy, the Jets run the ball, and the closer the game the more running they do, which can keep teams in games when they shouldn't be, you pass to score in this league like the Giants do, and run to win, and finish games. It seems the Jets for the better part of 3 years only passed out of necessity.

2. Brian Schottenheimer!!!!!!!! The Jets will find out if this was due to his idiotic game plans, play calls, and terrible in game adjustments.

Some are in the it's Sanchez he sucks I've seen enough, and there is plenty there to think that way.

Others like me are willing to find out if it was JUST Schotty. Season 4 will be very telling, and I really want to see Sanchez get 1 more shot here with a new offense. I also think there is plenty we have seen from him in 3 years to think this way to.

We can have this argument all day every day leading up to the season, and I believe were both valid in our arguments, whether we are proved right or wrong in the future you can look back, and we can keep the I told you so's out of it IMO.

I don't blame guys like SFJ, for wanting to move on and get a QB in here who has a good track record for not giving the other team points, he has been watching since the 60's, and is a frustrated fan, and well deserved of a winning product after 43 years of rooting for this team with no SB's.

I hope Sanchez proves to be that guy, and I know you, and most others will be very happy if he does bring home the hardware for us, rather then the very minimum who would rather be right, and watch him fail.

Dude, Gilbride calls no shortage of plays like a predictable, scared old lady. Schottenheimer, for all his faults, tried letting Sanchez loose. It was a disaster.

Dude, Gilbride calls no shortage of plays like a predictable, scared old lady. Schottenheimer, for all his faults, tried letting Sanchez loose. It was a disaster.

Maybe he does, but atleast the routes for all receivers are more than 5 yards, and Eli is not told to be careful check it down immediately if your first option is not open, and he was always allowed to chuck it up, and rely on his receivers to make plays, even through some terrible seasons, and games.

Sanchez was stripped of this freedom IMO after bad games, and the play calling IMO has proved this.

Eli has had streaks where it looked like a "disaster" to, but he was allowed to work through it, and learn from it, Sanchez was never given this opportunity for an extended (IE more than 3-5 games) period. IMO all young QB's will struggle, some will always struggle, some will learn from mistakes, and use those mistakes to get better, it's time to let Sanchez have this opportunity for more than 3-5 games (IMO it should have happened 2 years ago.

When you draft a QB this high you have to be prepared for failure, before success from the position, the Jets were not ready, or willing to let that happen, which tells me they made a mistake drafting him in the first place, Rex, and Tanny are tied to Mark, you might as well let him loose, and either look like a rose or go out crashing with a bang, and no regrets.

Say the Jets keep Sanchez reigned in, and he continues to fail, and the Jets dump him, and he gets picked up by a team willing to let him loose no matter the outcome, and on the off chance he succeeds immediately what's that say about the Jets FO, and coaching staff.

so just to summarize, he needs to restore his footwork, his throwing mechanics and his confidence.

this is not a 10 million dollar a year player.

also before we take the Eli comparison too far, Mark Sanchez' dad is not a former starting NFL QB. his brother is not a HOF NFL QB. If that were the case there would be more reasons to be confident this is just a growth phase. That's not fair but that's how the league works.

Maybe he does, but atleast the routes for all receivers are more than 5 yards, and Eli is not told to be careful check it down immediately if your first option is not open, and he was always allowed to chuck it up, and rely on his receivers to make plays, even through some terrible seasons, and games.

Sanchez was stripped of this freedom IMO after bad games, and the play calling IMO has proved this.

Eli has had streaks where it looked like a "disaster" to, but he was allowed to work through it, and learn from it, Sanchez was never given this opportunity for an extended (IE more than 3-5 games) period. IMO all young QB's will struggle, some will always struggle, some will learn from mistakes, and use those mistakes to get better, it's time to let Sanchez have this opportunity for more than 3-5 games (IMO it should have happened 2 years ago.

When you draft a QB this high you have to be prepared for failure, before success from the position, the Jets were not ready, or willing to let that happen, which tells me they made a mistake drafting him in the first place, Rex, and Tanny are tied to Mark, you might as well let him loose, and either look like a rose or go out crashing with a bang, and no regrets.

Say the Jets keep Sanchez reigned in, and he continues to fail, and the Jets dump him, and he gets picked up by a team willing to let him loose no matter the outcome, and on the off chance he succeeds immediately what's that say about the Jets FO, and coaching staff.

The routes for the WR's for the Jets aren't all 5 yards and Manning throws more than his share of short passes to his WR's (as do the best of the best QBs like Brees, Brady, Rodgers, etc).

I don't know where you get this notion that only the Jets attempt a large number of shorter passes or that it's so disproportionate when compared with the rest of the league. It isn't.

There are plenty of times - and there's no shortage of people who come back from games attesting so - when guys are open downfield and Sanchez either doesn't see it or sees it and doesn't attempt it (I saw this with Pennington as well), or sees it and attempts it but waits too long to pull the trigger and by that time the coverage or safety help has caught up with the receiver. Just because someone's open doesn't mean he'll still be open 2-3 seconds later. Then there is this fabricated sense that Sanchez was simply not allowed to throw the ball past 5 yards and it's not only untrue but unrealistic as well.

Guess who throws a lower percentage of passes under 15 yards (15 yards of air from the LOS) than Mark Sanchez?

Drew Brees

Tom Brady

Matthew Stafford

#1, #2, and #3 in the NFL in passing yards, and all 3 of them threw for over 5000 yards.

Therefore I suppose there will be yet another excuse for fans - good fans like yourself who deserve better - to twist themselves into a pretzel in an attempt to qualify why Mark Sanchez is immune to criticism that measures him up against every other QB who is better than he is.

He'll be the QB next year. There's still a good chance we make the playoffs with him at the helm. We'll also lose 2-3 games that we wouldn't have with a good QB, and get bounced out of the playoffs. It's not like 2007 or most of the 1970s-1990s of course, but it'll again be the team carrying the QB instead of the QB making the rest of the team better. The tragedy isn't in going .500 or a little over it. It's that after watching a not-great team like the Giants win a SB, there's the realization that years are being wasted to give a decidedly undeserving kid a 4 year long tryout.

I can just see it now. Sam Bradford and Schotty in the top 5 next year in passing and TDs. All the sanchez lovers will no longer have Schotty to lay all the blame on.

I for one think Schotty was severley limited by his ineffective QB, not the other way around. He had to dumb down his offense for the past 3 seasons for Sanchez just so he could function in it. It is some of his fault for making it so complicated, but it really doens't say much about the QB when he has to pretty much chuck half the playbook out the window because he is unable to execute the plays at a level condusive to success.

I can just see it now. Sam Bradford and Schotty in the top 5 next year in passing and TDs. All the sanchez lovers will no longer have Schotty to lay all the blame on.

Then the blame will be because the Jets don't have truly great receivers like Brandon Gibson, Austin Pettis, Danny Amendola, and Lance Kendricks.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Schottenheimer's gone. Whether he has it in him to be a top OC or not I don't think the team was responding to him or believed in him. I also couldn't take another game of getting the play in too late among the many justified criticisms. But no OC is going to make Mark Sanchez the QB we want him to be.

A big contributor to this problem (WR's not making plays down field) is the Jets coaching staff not allowing Sanchez to take these chances, they put the clamps on the offense after week 3, Sanchez was told to throw to his checkdown immediately if his first option wasn't open, they even drilled this in practice with a shot clock on Sanchez 1mississippi, 2, 3, checkdown. This is horrific to teach ANY QB, and offense.

Would the WR's make those plays for him of the offense was allowed to? Maybe, and if they didn't make these plays who's fault would it be the QB's, or WR's? Don't know the Jets never tried.

The Jets are in this perdiciment about is Sanchez the future or not because they never tried to find out. And any franchise with any QB would be in the same spot if they ran their offense this way.

As to the original OP referring to Eli, Eli had a brutal 14 games in 07, but the Giants changed OC's, and kept letting Eli throw it, never pulled the reigns in, he and the whole team got hot, and clicked to win the SB, the same this season. Eli still has bad games, and even bad seasons recently, as do most QB's, but he is allowed to continually try and make plays, and has a tendency to get hot, IE streaky, and comes up big in big spots. The Giants stayed the course with their highly drafted franchise QB, tried to find out if he was their guy, this is the right way, and luckily it worked for them.

My first comment is not ment to defend Sanchez, but to kill the Jets O philosophy, and coaching, they handled the QB situation as poor as possible, and any struggling young QB would fail in that atmosphere.

The 2nd point is to defend Sanchez, and kill the Jets coaching. Sanchez has showed the ability to make big plays at times when allowed, and come up big in big spots. And just like Eli did, and as early as this season to, Sanchez looks lost, and is horrific at times.

Will he turn into Eli if he is allowed to try and make plays instead of being reigned in? Probably not, but you will never know until you try it, and not just for 3 games, it should have started year 2, and if it did we would have 2 full seasons of Sanchez playing without restrictions, and have a better body of work to judge him on, all we have right now is 3 seasons of ground and pound, and restricted play. IMO this is why there is 2 completely different radical opinions on Sanchez, your either he sucks cut him, or no in the right system he can turn into Eli, or Brees.

The Jets just need to let him without restriction turn into Sanchez, for better, or worse so they can decide he is their guy, or decide to move on.

When you draft a QB this high you have to be prepared for this, the Jets weren't, and/or willing to do this, which to me says they should have never drafted ANY QB this high in the first place.

I agree with you. Now with Sparano coming in with his ground and pound offense, now I'm even more scared that they're gonna restrict Sanchez. Hopefully they bring a passing coordinator if they do that's willing to take chances down the field.

The biggest knock against Sanchez is CONSISTENCY. He seems to be able to bear down in times of importance, or when he seemingly needs to , but at other times, he just seems to float mindlessly through games, as if bored,

Take the red zone. This is the area of the field where an inaccurate passer should have his greatest problems. The field is shortened, windows are smaller and opportunities for mistake are enhanced and magnified.

Yet, Sanchez performed great in red zone offense this year. The Jets as a team were one of the more proficient in the game.

Why that does not relate to the rest of the field, or the game is puzzling. One would think that he needs to work on concentration, but at this level, that is a tough assessment to make on a qb

The biggest knock against Sanchez is CONSISTENCY. He seems to be able to bear down in times of importance, or when he seemingly needs to , but at other times, he just seems to float mindlessly through games, as if bored,

Take the red zone. This is the area of the field where an inaccurate passer should have his greatest problems. The field is shortened, windows are smaller and opportunities for mistake are enhanced and magnified.

Yet, Sanchez performed great in red zone offense this year. The Jets as a team were one of the more proficient in the game.

Why that does not relate to the rest of the field, or the game is puzzling. One would think that he needs to work on concentration, but at this level, that is a tough assessment to make on a qb

To be consistent with Sanchologists it must be because Schottenheimer doesn't call plays poorly in the red zone.

I liken it to people who felt Herm should get year after year after year because of playoff appearances that somehow proved how good he was and how much potential he therefore must have since he'd had that success despite only doing it such a short time.

Archived