ILB Possibilities

GAjetFan

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/02/17/ranking-the-2012-free-agents-inside-linebackers/

Ranking the 2012 Free Agents: Inside Linebackers

February 17th, 2012 | Author: John Breitenbach

stephentulloch-150x150.png

While not all of the players scheduled to become unrestricted free agents will hit the open market, this is still a great crop to choose from. There’s a strong mix of young guys entering the prime of their careers and productive veterans, who should come a bit cheaper. The first five players are all defensive leaders; foundation pieces defensive coordinators could build around. Three of them finished in the Top 10 of our overall inside linebacker rankings and six inside the Top 20. Linebacker-needy teams should be salivating over some of the prospects coming onto the market.

There are a number of other role players available even if teams miss out on the top guys. Run-stuffing studs Dan Connor and Jovan Belcher (a restricted free agent) would make sense as two-down solutions, while Larry Grant, also restricted, offers a high-risk/high-reward option.

1) Stephen Tulloch, Detroit Lions

Age as of September 1st, 2012: 27

2011 Grade: +20.8

Key Stat: Allowed just 8.1 yards per catch, good for second in the league.

Behind The Numbers: We were stunned at how small the market was for one of the league’s best inside linebackers in the 2011 offseason. The Lions were able to snag him for a mere $3.25 million, but there’s slim chance they’ll be so lucky again. Tulloch is just a great all-around player, as adept in coverage as he is against the run. While he doesn’t grade out quite as well as some of the top players, it is worth bearing in mind he plays in the very publicized Wide-9 scheme that puts extra pressure on the linebackers.

2) David Hawthorne, Seattle Seahawks

2011 Grade: +8.8

Key Stat: Has a +38.6 run defense grade over the past three years.

Behind The Numbers: Hawthorne never quite lived up to his outstanding 2010 season, but was still a very good player for Seattle. His best performance came against Cleveland in Week 7 where he registered 11 tackles including seven stops. Hawthorne possesses more versatility than the other options on the market, having played both outside and inside for the Seahawks, which only adds to his value. If he can improve on some promising performances in coverage in 2011, there’ll be nothing holding him back from entering the elite class.

3) London Fletcher, Washington Redskins

Age as of September 1st, 2012: 37

2011 Grade: +19.9

Key Stat: Allowed a QB rating of just 69.2, good for second best in the league.

Behind the Numbers: Its remarkable how London Fletcher just keeps getting it done despite his age. While he may be a full decade older than some of the guys around him, he seems to have no trouble keeping up with them. Adding Fletcher would only be a short-term solution but, considering that facts that he still plays at such a high level and brings leadership qualities few possess, his age might not be such a significant turnoff.

4) Curtis Lofton, Atlanta Falcons

Age as of September 1st, 2012: 26

2011 Grade: +12.8

Key Stat: Made 60 defensive stops, good for fifth in the league.

Behind the Numbers: Lofton, just like Hawthorne, is a fantastic run defender. He possesses the instincts needed to identify the play and then the necessary strength to fill the hole and make the tackle. Its almost unbelievable he’s all the way down at fourth on this list, considering the impact he’s already had on the league. While not bad in coverage by any means, he does need to improve on the league-leading (among ILBs) five touchdowns he allowed last year. Still, he’s only entering his fifth year and has a lot of space to grow.

5) D’Qwell Jackson, Cleveland Browns

Age as of September 1st, 2012: 28

2011 Grade: +18.3

Key Stat: His +18.0 grade against the run in 2011 was bested only by the 49ers’ duo, and the man below him on this list.

Behind the Numbers: I feel a little like I’m repeating myself here as Jackson’s strengths and weaknesses mirror those just outlined for Lofton and Hawthorne; there are few better when it comes to filling running lanes and his work in coverage leaves a little to be desired. What sets Jackson behind the other two is probably his injury history, which might scare a few teams off come March 13th.

6) E.J. Henderson, Minnesota Vikings

Age as of September 1st, 2012: 32

2011 Grade: +5.4

Key Stat: Was third in the league with a +18.1 grade against the run, and played 100 fewer snaps than Patrick Willis and Navarro Bowman.

Behind the Numbers: Henderson has suffered through a number of injuries of late, and he’s certainly not an every-down player at this stage of his career, but he does bring almost a ridiculous level of physicality to the middle of a defense. He’s made shedding offensive lineman look like only a minor hindrance for so long that it’s difficult to see him ever not being good at it. PFF’s Sam Monson put it perfectly in his recent Shopping for Experience article.

7) Joe Mays, Denver Broncos

2011 Grade: +10.8

Key Stat: Tied atop the league with a run stop percentage of 14.3.

Behind the Numbers: Its amazing how far Mays has come since entering the league in 2008 as a sixth round pick of the Philadelphia Eagles. He showed some potential in the 2009 preseason before being traded to Denver for running back JJ Arrington or a sixth-round pick. At the time, it looked like a good deal for the Eagles, but this is another Josh McDaniels move that turned out to favor the Broncos. Mays became an integral part of Denver’s defense this year and put more heralded teammate DJ Williams to shame with his play against the run. Just as promising, he wasn’t a liability in coverage, grading out right about average.

8) Jameel McClain, Baltimore Ravens

2011 Grade: +2.7

Key Stat: Graded above +1.0 on eight occasions in 2011.

Behind the Numbers: The “other” inside linebacker in Baltimore may not be Ray Lewis, but he does a pretty good impression a lot of the time. The Ravens recognized he was better served as only a two-down player (he played just over 500 snaps) and excelled in that role. He is somewhat untested as a MLB in the 4-3 (and so would be better served either in a 3-4 or outside in a four-man front), but certainly has the tools to play anywhere. Playing in a Hall of Famer’s shadow will probably make him undervalued on the open market, so someone may find themselves a bargain.

9) Channing Crowder, NA

Age as of September 1st, 2012: 28

2011 Grade: NA

Key Stat: Had a +14.0 grade against the run in 2010.

Behind the Numbers: A year off might have been exactly what Crowder needed to allow his body to heal. The former Dolphin had a pretty darn good year in 2010 and will be able to contribute for somebody if he’s anywhere close to that level again. It might be a good thing that Crowder fits best in only a limited role, seeing as that will give him more time to heal and adjust in his return to the NFL.

10. Jonathan Goff, New York Giants

Age as of September 1st, 2012: 26

2011 Grade: NA

Key Stat: Missed just two tackles in all of 2010.

Behind the Numbers: Goff was quietly becoming a very good player before injury stole his 2011 season. He’s almost a copycat of Crowder, with the exception that he’s hitting free agency a year later. Some team will likely take a gamble that he can return to 2010 form where he was one of the better run defending inside linebackers. Goff is the most obvious low-risk, high-reward free agent in this class.

I personally would love to see Curtis Lofton in a Jets jersey, but we all know Rex is going to go after any cast off's from A) Ravens or B) Steelers, so the point is probably lost here.

Lofton is worth a look. Hasn't he played mostly 4-3 in Atlanta?

I know he is good against the run, but will he do the dirty work that Bart does?

If by dirty work you mean always be two steps behind the WR/RB then no, he will make the tackle for a loss on most occasions.

I was a huge supporter of Bart Scott until this season, you can tell our LBers are just too slow around the edge, and we 'once upon a time' claimed VG ate up blockers and made the defense more free to run all over the place, this is simply a bad excuse for poor play. Love the fire and intensity he brings to the field, just wish he had more talent to do it with!

In Rex's 4th year as HC, we don't really need the old system guys (Scott/JL) to help integrate his 'new' defence...

far as I can tell only 2 name on that list have 3-4 experience, Crowder and McClain. it would be hilarious if the Jets employed Crowder after his public war with Rex. cheap He's probably worth close to the minimum, with all his injuries. McClain is the better player and Rex/Pettine probably know him as well as any.

still Bart Scott is guaranteed another year at least and they just invested a ton into Harris. so i don't see them spending alot at this position. They are very high on Josh Mauga.

Scott is getting too much negative pub imo. He slipped a little in 2011 but he'll be back and in the starting lineup next year. As Bit said maybe Burfict in the 3rd if he dropped to help bolster depth. The only changes I see to the D is at safety in terms of FA. The rest will probably only come via draft.

they aren't gonna sign an FA ILB. they have too much money at the position already. Expect Mauga to backup (with a chance to start in the future) and maybe a draft pick to develop. Burfict in rd 3 if he falls for example.

At this point I wouldn't put that out of the realm of possibility.

-

According to NFL Network's Albert Breer, 6-7 NFL personnel evaluators told him to "take (Arizona State ILB Vontaze) Burfict out" when Breer drew up a first-round mock draft last month.

Per Breer, "the word is out" on Burfict, and he has "serious image recovery" to do at the Combine. Burfict was commonly mocked on ESPN at No. 29 overall to the Ravens as recently as late January. The media seems to be catching up with the NFL's evaluation of Burfict, and his stock is "falling" in the public eye

-

According to SI.com's Tony Pauline, Arizona State ILB Vontaze Burfict was "soft and out of shape" when he reported to pre-Combine training in January, and is now dealing with a hamstring injury.

Pauline reports that NFL teams' biggest concern with Burfict is work ethic, and he apparently hasn't solved the issue ahead of the draft. Per Pauline, Burfict is unable to complete 15 reps on the 225-pound bench press with one week left before the Combine. After a poor junior season at Arizona State, Burfict's draft stock could be headed for free fall if he performs poorly in Indy

I'll keep a close eye on him this week at the combine and let you know more.

far as I can tell only 2 name on that list have 3-4 experience, Crowder and McClain. it would be hilarious if the Jets employed Crowder after his public war with Rex. cheap He's probably worth close to the minimum, with all his injuries. McClain is the better player and Rex/Pettine probably know him as well as any.

still Bart Scott is guaranteed another year at least and they just invested a ton into Harris. so i don't see them spending alot at this position. They are very high on Josh Mauga.

Your leaving out the ending of the Rex/Crowder trash fest.

Apparently MS Crowder talks as good a game as her son, and exchanged several e-mails with Rex. Rex wound up calling her, and they all met in South Florida. Did a photo shoot, Rex took the Crowder's out for dinner.

Crowder later said he loved Rex.

It was kind of a big, off season, story in South Florida.

I think a cheap Crowder is a likely time sharer with Scott this season. WOW. Won't the inside of the Jets D be loud?

Your leaving out the ending of the Rex/Crowder trash fest.

Apparently MS Crowder talks as good a game as her son, and exchanged several e-mails with Rex. Rex wound up calling her, and they all met in South Florida. Did a photo shoot, Rex took the Crowder's out for dinner.

Crowder later said he loved Rex.

It was kind of a big, off season, story in South Florida.

I think a cheap Crowder is a likely time sharer with Scott this season. WOW. Won't the inside of the Jets D be loud?

Ok, that made me LOL.

I don't see any way the Jets put a big time investment at ILB this offseason. They already have big money invested in both Harris and Scott, who's around for another year, the coaches clearly like Mauga, and let's not forget Bellore who was kept around all last year, got some experience, and will get an offseason under his belt, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a shot in camp to become a bigger contributor. A draft pick in the mid to late rounds or a vet minimum type FA (like Crowder) are certainly a possibility, but I wouldn't expect much more than that.

they aren't gonna sign an FA ILB. they have too much money at the position already. Expect Mauga to backup (with a chance to start in the future) and maybe a draft pick to develop. Burfict in rd 3 if he falls for example.

WOW.

Do you think Burfict has a chance to fall to the 3rd? I wouldn't mind him in the 2nd. IMO he is the classic bargain or bust situation. He could pull a stunt in about 15 minutes that get him suspended, or be an All Pro for ten years

Do you think Burfict has a chance to fall to the 3rd? I wouldn't mind him in the 2nd.

LIke they say, it only takes 1 team to fall in love with a player. But I do think he's cusp of rd 3/4.

It depends on what kind of shape he's in this spring and what his answers are in interviews but yes he's in free fall right now. Rd 2 or 3 might be a very good outcome for Burfict. He could keep falling past that.

It'll be interesting to see if anything comes from that cough "leak" that "slipped out" right after the season about Bart being cut.

Could happen I guess, but to me it just doesn't make sense.

First from the cap stand point. To cut him cost the cap about 1.3 million ( they guaranteed his contract last year) He gets paid no matter what. Then they have to sign someone else to replace him. Even in his declining state who are they going to get that is going to be better, while still paying Scott

Second Scott, in spite of his mouth, is a good locker room guy. He's one of Rex's guys, and buys in to Rex's program. After last years "locker room melt down" don't think it is productive to release him

Archived