Cimini: Jets Prep for Risky game of Musical QB's

flgreen

I would pay to hear your reaction when you found out that Tanny made the Brett Favre deal happen. You were giddy like a pint sized cheer leader

If Favre doesn't f*ck up his arm, we make the playoffs, and Mangini doesn't get fired.

Honestly I hated the Favre trade. I felt it embarassed the organization considering he made it very clear that he did not want to be a New York Jet. He had at least two other teams ahead of us, the Bucs and the Vikes. I also felt that the whole thing was a circus and timed to coincide with the bitter pill of PSLs. No need to pay fo my reaction, I'm sure its in the archives here somewhere. OTOH I still hold out hope for Sanchez and think we, as a fanbase, are tugging the rug out from under him a bit too soon.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Except ELi Manning missed high rather than having no idea where his passes are going, in fact did and still does have a bulldog mentality that Sanchez has never had and wil never have, and is a million times smarter on the field than Sanchez will ever be. Also 3 inches taller.

Because the thing is Bugg that we already KNOW (like Shane said earlier) that if we don't get Peyton Manning (probably won't) that we are going to be subjected to all the same old crap coming out of Tannenbaum and Ryan's mouths. "We believe and have ALWAYS considered Mark Sanchez to be an elite QB" and then they hand the job right back over to him with no one even given a real chance at unseating him -just like they are handing the starting RT job back over to the league's worst graded out RT in the game-WHY? I'm sorry, call me a pathetic Jets fan but know this, I wasn't always this way-the Jets have made me into this kind of a fan. Also, any comparisons to Eli Manning prove that these guys don't know a thing about what constitutes a good quarterback and a bad one-like Mark Sanchez has become.

I already know that this household will NOT be wasting our money which has become harder and harder to come by the past 2 years or so on the DTV Sunday Ticket-that's how much faith I have in Rex Ryan, Mike Tannenbaum and Mark Sanchez...

Except ELi Manning missed high rather than having no idea where his passes are going, in fact did and still does have a bulldog mentality that Sanchez has never had and wil never have, and is a million times smarter on the field than Sanchez will ever be. Also 3 inches taller.

You can't say that for sure...this thing has to play out. Eli played 4 years at Ol' Miss....Sanchez is a baby in football time, he'll grow up...at least we hope so.

Don't need another 3 or 4 year plan. I hope Sanchez is the guy

You can't say that for sure...this thing has to play out. Eli played 4 years at Ol' Miss....Sanchez is a baby in football time, he'll grow up...at least we hope so.

And in the last 3 years, you have exaclty what to justity such optimism beyond wishful thinking? The defense carried this guy for the first 2 seasons druing whcih he was usually awful with periods of averageness, and he was awful last year.

To echo SFJ, I have seen enough awful QBing in the last 30 years to know Sanchez is not getting it done. Again, I would love to be proven wrong. But asyou get older sugarcoating things and pretending magic will bail you out gets really, really old.

And in the last 3 years, you have exaclty what to justity such optimism beyond wishful thinking?

He had his moment in 2010 when we all thought he was the guy.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't actually have a solid if not breakout year this year

Considering Eli played 3 more years at college, and was a significantly better prospect, Sanchez is probably a 3 or 4 year plan as well, if you even buy that ridiculous comparison. A small improvement from Sanchez this year is just about the worst thing that could happen to the Jets. He needs to take a huge step, or play at a level where we can get rid of him.

The good news about bringing Manning in is that hockey starts in Oct. That should be just about the time Manning goes on IR. I'll just start watching hockey in Oct instead of Feb, just like I did today. Rangers 4 Boston 3

He had his moment in 2010 when we all thought he was the guy.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't actually have a solid if not breakout year this year

Objectively this moment was....when? 45-3 in Foxboro and treating the ball like a hot potato in the 1st half in the AFCG are what I remember best. Again, Eli Manning is your point of comparison you really don't have an agrument, merely a hope based on practically nothing. It would be dereliction to simply give Sanchez the job again without considering alternatives or brining in a real competitor.

Objectively this moment was....when? 45-3 in Foxboro and treating the ball like a hot potato in the 2nd half in the AFCG are what I remember best. Again, Eli Manning is your point of comparison you really don't have an agrument, merely a hope based on practically nothing. It would be dereliction to simply give Sanchez the job again without considering alternatives or brining in a real competitor.

I guess it's how we choose to view the team as fans. My best memory of 2010 is also in Foxboro. Jets 28 pats 21

Sanchez----16-25 194 yards 3TD's 0 interceptions QB rating 127.3.

I guess we remember what we choose. I have no problem bringing in competition for Sanchez,

I guess it's how we choose to view the team as fans. My best memory of 2010 is also in Foxboro. Jets 28 pats 21

Sanchez----16-25 194 yards 3TD's 0 interceptions QB rating 127.3.

I guess we remember what we choose. I have no problem bringing in competition for Sanchez,

So on his best day, and a very good one, he still averaged under 8 yards per attempt and didn't go over 200 yards.

Jets prep for risky game of musical QBs

Tricky task of upgrading the position begins March 8 if Peyton Manning is released

Cimini_Rich_35.jpg By Rich Cimini

ESPNNewYork.com

Archive

Starting next week, the New York Jets will be part of a quarterback drama that will play out over the course of March. It involves Peyton Manning, Mark Sanchez, Chad Henne and perhaps a surprise -- and it will fascinating to see how general manager Mike Tannenbaum navigates the twists and turns.

Let's set the stage for what might occur, starting with Manning, who likely will be released by the Indianapolis Colts before next Thursday.

Despite refusing to shut the door on Manning, at least in their public comments, the Jets remain firmly in Sanchez's corner. They will explore the Manning situation, according to sources, but the vibe from people inside and outside the organization is that it would take a momentous shift for them to bail on Sanchez. Their 2012 blueprint is built around him.

ny_u_pmanning_msanchez1_300.jpg

Brian Spurlock/US PresswirePeyton Manning's exit from Indy could mean Mark Sanchez's exit from the Jets. Or maybe not.

Basically, Manning would have to throw himself at them, and that's not likely.

Maybe they make a phone call, maybe they take a trip to see Manning -- he of the surgically repaired neck -- throw in person. Tannenbaum's credo is "Every rock, every day," his way of describing his leave-no-stone-unturned approach to finding talent. So you know he'll be involved somehow, except this time it's mostly for show.

But it can be a double-edged sword. The Jets want to perform due diligence on Manning -- they'd be crazy not to -- but they don't want to alienate Sanchez, who already has to be wondering about his standing in the locker room after all the postseason criticism.

The Jets have said all the right things, praising Sanchez for what he's done (four playoff wins on the road) and for what he's still capable of doing, but they've also made it quite clear that last season wasn't nearly good enough.

Frankly, they should be interested in Manning. If Peyton is Peyton -- and reports say his throwing has improved -- how do you ignore one of the greatest quarterbacks in history?

You don't. You get on Woody Johnson's private jet and fly to Florida or Indianapolis or wherever Manning decides to throw for prospective employers, assuming he does. It's a rare opportunity. If they like his pitches, they can make theirs, trying to convince him they're the right fit despite some obvious issues -- cold weather, scheme, personnel, etc.

Sure, it's a long shot, but the Jets owe it to themselves and their fans to make the effort.

"I'd jump on it," said a longtime executive, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "I know there's a risk factor, but the Jets are built to win right now. Sanchez may get better or he may not. Everything around him has to be really good. If it's not, I don't know if he's good enough.

"Look, if a guy like Peyton Manning isn't out there, you stay the course and don't think twice. But he is, so you have to think about it. You never know what could happen. Rex [Ryan] could implode, the team could implode. They're on such fragile ground. Plus you have the New England effect and the Giants effect. I think it makes sense."

That's one school of thought, but the Jets aren't ready to enroll in that school just yet. They don't view this as 2008, when they felt the franchise needed a massive jolt -- i.e. Brett Favre. They don't see this as a "Favre" situation. Next year, maybe. But not now.

If the Manning flirtation (call it whatever you want) lasts more than five days, it will cross into the start of the free agency period, March 13. It could complicate things because the Jets, according to sources, are very interested in Henne, the former Dolphins starter.

This is going to seem really weird, but as of right now, they want Henne more than Manning. They believe Henne would be the ideal No. 2.

Henne's old coach, Tony Sparano, is the Jets' new offensive coordinator, so there's the connection.

When a coach is installing his system, he always likes to have someone in the huddle -- preferably, the quarterback -- who knows what's going on and can teach others. That makes Henne appealing.

A Sanchez-Henne tandem would create a buzz, but it's presumptuous to think Henne -- even with his mediocre track record -- will accept a No. 2 job with no chance to compete for the starting job. The same goes for Kyle Orton and Jason Campbell, both veteran free agents.

"I don't think Campbell, Orton and Henne are looking initially to be clear No. 2s," one personnel executive said.

The Jets may feel they can sell Henne on the possibility of competing with Sanchez, but money talks and they may not have enough to satisfy Henne, who reportedly expects offers in the $4 million-a-year range.

They've also had internal discussions about Campbell, who was displaced in Oakland by Carson Palmer. The Jets hired former Raiders receivers coach Sanjay Lal, and Sparano is planning to incorporate some Raiders concepts into his offense.

The last thing the Jets want is to be living in a Peyton-less world with a hole behind Sanchez on the depth chart. They want a legitimate No. 2 because, privately, the organization does believe he has been coddled to a certain extent.

No one knows how Sanchez feels about the Manning speculation -- he hasn't talked to reporters since Jan. 3 -- but he can't be loving the chatter about his job security. But as Tannenbaum noted the other day in a radio interview, sometimes feelings get hurt in this business. This will test Sanchez's mental toughness, assuming he returns April 16 -- start of the offseason program -- as the starter.

The clock is ticking, as Sanchez is due a $2.75 million roster bonus on March 28. Unless they renegotiate his contract to eliminate or postpone the bonus, that date will be the deadline for their quarterback decision.

Tannenbaum has made it clear the quarterback depth chart will have a different look by September.

(Adios, Mark Brunell.) Ironically, the player with the most clarity is third-stringer Greg McElroy, who isn't going anywhere even though he created a firestorm for ripping the "corrupt mindset" in the locker room.

It's going to be a memorable month.

Follow Rich Cimini on Twitter: @RichCimini

Is Sanchez pulling the bugger trick on the back of the jersey again?

You guys are all terrible Jets fans-you should always support any and everything that the team, coach, QB, and front office does at all costs no matter what. They are always right and we, the fans are all a bunch of whiny disloyal crappy fans....sound like anyone?

You guys are all terrible Jets fans-you should always support any and everything that the team, coach, QB, and front office does at all costs no matter what. They are always right and we, the fans are all a bunch of whiny disloyal crappy fans....sound like anyone?

We have a mess of delusional people here who really believe the a new OC and a new RT and we'll be all good. And that somehow if w'ere all positive good will acrue in the AFCE standings. Yes, those variables have to change. But it;s a QB league and the Jets have one of the worst. I like Rex Ryan, He is without any doubt the sharpest guy here since Parcells. But I also know he knows his current QB is not getting it done in 2012. And either it will be someone else or he will keep working around the inadquacy behind Nick Mangold. DOn't suspect he is going to go out and badmouth Sanchez. Heck, he would be devaluing a potential trade commodity. Recall Parcells talking up Adrian Murrell after signing Curtis Martin-and then trading Murrell within a few days. Of course the CS and FO are going to say all the nice, right stuff about Sanchez. But don't expect us all to salute that flag, because even the FO and CS know it's nonsense.

Simply the Jets are going to explore their options, and that is how it should be. Standing pat is unacceptable. I understand when camp opens it still could be Sanchez is the QB and they will again try to work around his piss poor play. If that comes to pass understand there is very good reason to doubt the 2012 Jets will be a playoff team.

Only if you appreciate him only showing up for one half of football.

We get it, you want to bail on our 1st round QB after on 3 seasons. You'd rather blow it all up, and start over from scratch. I get it, you want the Jets to go after Peyton, when we can not afford him whatsoever. You want immediate results from your 3rd year QB.

Because he didn't give you the Superbowl his coach promised you, you've decided enough is enough. He sucks, and we should go all in with Peyton, and no one else. Even though we won't be able to afford him, this makes most sense. Unless you think that the Jason Campbells of the world are better solutions.

Fortunately I believe in Tanny, the coach, and our young QB can rebound after an 8-8 season. I think that's the direction the organization will take.

You can piss, moan scream. You can huddle with the SOJ crowd, you and your cohorts can all piss an moan. You and your clan can even decide not to spend another penny on this team. It's okay, I understand you just can't handle the reality that ownership, and management have invested alot in this player, and choose to ride it out longer than the JaMarcus Russell experiment.

Accept it. Enjoy the ride. Because quite frankly these past 3 years have been the best in this franchises history.

We get it, you want to bail on our 1st round QB after on 3 seasons. You'd rather blow it all up, and start over from scratch. I get it, you want the Jets to go after Peyton, when we can not afford him whatsoever. You want immediate results from your 3rd year QB.

Because he didn't give you the Superbowl his coach promised you, you've decided enough is enough. He sucks, and we should go all in with Peyton, and no one else. Even though we won't be able to afford him, this makes most sense. Unless you think that the Jason Campbells of the world are better solutions.

Fortunately I believe in Tanny, the coach, and our young QB can rebound after an 8-8 season. I think that's the direction the organization will take.

You can piss, moan scream. You can huddle with the SOJ crowd, you and your cohorts can all piss an moan. You and your clan can even decide not to spend another penny on this team. It's okay, I understand you just can't handle the reality that ownership, and management have invested alot in this player, and choose to ride it out longer than the JaMarcus Russell experiment.

Accept it. Enjoy the ride. Because quite frankly these past 3 years have been the best in this franchises history.

The 3 year sample is enough.

Your logic so far is because Eli Manning, a vastly superior QB mentally and physically, won a Super Bowl in his 4th year as a starter, therefore we should stick with Sanchez.

And watching the Pats win the division again pissed me off. Watching our co-tenants actually beat them was another slap in the face. If 2011 didn't piss you off you must be an android Vulcan comatose specimen.

I'm glad the Pats lost. But having the Jints and their fans rub it in our faces yet again sucked. So that little video of yours is a precursor to Jets fans again getting a nasty cold slap across the face.

Who said anything about immediate results? After 3 years in the league, I want our 1st round QB to look like he's got a ton of potential, and to not look like, and have the stats to match, one of the leagues worst qbs.

I literally did not say a single word in you just posted in this portion above. However, today, yes, Jason Campbell is a better QB than Mark Sanchez.

Great that you believe in Tanny! In 6 years, he got us to two AFC championship games... WOW! He also left us with an aging roster, no depth, little young talent, and salary cap issues after a dismal season. As for the QB "rebounding", he really wasn't any worse this year than before. He just wasn't carried by the rest of the team. He's just as bad now as when he started, maybe even marginally but not significantly better.

In reality though, you just hit the nail on the head. You "believe". That's wonderful and adorable. But, it's not based on facts. That's fine. Just don't bring your faith into a logical debate.

And, you can take your faith and be happy that because Sanchez is better than Russell, that somehow means something. Not being the worst doesn't mean good. Sanchez isn't good. Everything on the field supports that.

Even if that's true, that only speaks to how pathetic this franchise is. The best pile of crap is still a pile of crap. Your okay with failure because you're used to it. Don't begrudge others who don't want to be losers.

The 3 year sample is enough.

Your logic so far is because Eli Manning, a vastly superior QB mentally and physically, won a Super Bowl in his 4th year as a starter, therefore we should stick with Sanchez.

And watching the Pats win the division again pissed me off. Watching our co-tenants actually beat them was another slap in the face. If 2011 didn't piss you off you must be an android Vulcan comatose specimen.

I'm glad the Pats lost. But having the Jints and their fans rub it in our faces yet again sucked. So that little video of yours is a precursor to Jets fans again getting a nasty cold slap across the face.

Nothing worse than GIants playing Pats. But I have a funny feeling if Plax is not on the Jets last season, we don't go on that 3 game skid to end the season.

Just have a feeling he f-ed up the Chemistry on the team

Who said anything about immediate results? After 3 years in the league, I want our 1st round QB to look like he's got a ton of potential, and to not look like, and have the stats to match, one of the leagues worst qbs.

I literally did not say a single word in you just posted in this portion above. However, today, yes, Jason Campbell is a better QB than Mark Sanchez.

Great that you believe in Tanny! In 6 years, he got us to two AFC championship games... WOW! He also left us with an aging roster, no depth, little young talent, and salary cap issues after a dismal season. As for the QB "rebounding", he really wasn't any worse this year than before. He just wasn't carried by the rest of the team. He's just as bad now as when he started, maybe even marginally but not significantly better.

In reality though, you just hit the nail on the head. You "believe". That's wonderful and adorable. But, it's not based on facts. That's fine. Just don't bring your faith into a logical debate.

And, you can take your faith and be happy that because Sanchez is better than Russell, that somehow means something. Not being the worst doesn't mean good. Sanchez isn't good. Everything on the field supports that.

Even if that's true, that only speaks to how pathetic this franchise is. The best pile of crap is still a pile of crap. Your okay with failure because you're used to it. Don't begrudge others who don't want to be losers.

So your solution is to blow it up.

Fantastic

Nothing worse than GIants playing Pats. But I have a funny feeling if Plax is not on the Jets last season, we don't go on that 3 game skid to end the season.

Chemistry-the last refuge of s sportswriter when he has NOTHING to say.Let us all know when you find the lsoing team that despite great chemistry still somehow managed to lose a mess of games. I can help you; that species doesn''t exist. Chemistry is mostly bullshi amde up after the championship but before the parade. People at every kind of workplace can love each other or hate each other. it might be more pleasant if everyone gets along. But it;'s no a prerequisite to success, and businesses where people hate each other can still suceed. Think the 1978 Yankees.

What did chemistry have to do with an offense that couldn't drive from midfield vs. the Giants? Or Jim Leonard not making a safety ackle in Denver? Or the collective screwing of the pooch in Miami? Again I can help you-NOT A GODDAMN THING.

Do you have anything mORE To add other than chemistry, intangibles and funny feelings?

AHAHA. It was Plaxico and not the undersized psychopath that the Steelers dumped on us?

Isn't is a weird coincidence that the teams with good QBs never seem to have chemistry issues?

Archived