Cimini: Jets Prep for Risky game of Musical QB's

flgreen

Jets prep for risky game of musical QBs

Tricky task of upgrading the position begins March 8 if Peyton Manning is released

Cimini_Rich_35.jpg By Rich Cimini

ESPNNewYork.com

Archive

Starting next week, the New York Jets will be part of a quarterback drama that will play out over the course of March. It involves Peyton Manning, Mark Sanchez, Chad Henne and perhaps a surprise -- and it will fascinating to see how general manager Mike Tannenbaum navigates the twists and turns.

Let's set the stage for what might occur, starting with Manning, who likely will be released by the Indianapolis Colts before next Thursday.

Despite refusing to shut the door on Manning, at least in their public comments, the Jets remain firmly in Sanchez's corner. They will explore the Manning situation, according to sources, but the vibe from people inside and outside the organization is that it would take a momentous shift for them to bail on Sanchez. Their 2012 blueprint is built around him.

ny_u_pmanning_msanchez1_300.jpg

Brian Spurlock/US PresswirePeyton Manning's exit from Indy could mean Mark Sanchez's exit from the Jets. Or maybe not.

Basically, Manning would have to throw himself at them, and that's not likely.

Maybe they make a phone call, maybe they take a trip to see Manning -- he of the surgically repaired neck -- throw in person. Tannenbaum's credo is "Every rock, every day," his way of describing his leave-no-stone-unturned approach to finding talent. So you know he'll be involved somehow, except this time it's mostly for show.

But it can be a double-edged sword. The Jets want to perform due diligence on Manning -- they'd be crazy not to -- but they don't want to alienate Sanchez, who already has to be wondering about his standing in the locker room after all the postseason criticism.

The Jets have said all the right things, praising Sanchez for what he's done (four playoff wins on the road) and for what he's still capable of doing, but they've also made it quite clear that last season wasn't nearly good enough.

Frankly, they should be interested in Manning. If Peyton is Peyton -- and reports say his throwing has improved -- how do you ignore one of the greatest quarterbacks in history?

You don't. You get on Woody Johnson's private jet and fly to Florida or Indianapolis or wherever Manning decides to throw for prospective employers, assuming he does. It's a rare opportunity. If they like his pitches, they can make theirs, trying to convince him they're the right fit despite some obvious issues -- cold weather, scheme, personnel, etc.

Sure, it's a long shot, but the Jets owe it to themselves and their fans to make the effort.

"I'd jump on it," said a longtime executive, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "I know there's a risk factor, but the Jets are built to win right now. Sanchez may get better or he may not. Everything around him has to be really good. If it's not, I don't know if he's good enough.

"Look, if a guy like Peyton Manning isn't out there, you stay the course and don't think twice. But he is, so you have to think about it. You never know what could happen. Rex [Ryan] could implode, the team could implode. They're on such fragile ground. Plus you have the New England effect and the Giants effect. I think it makes sense."

That's one school of thought, but the Jets aren't ready to enroll in that school just yet. They don't view this as 2008, when they felt the franchise needed a massive jolt -- i.e. Brett Favre. They don't see this as a "Favre" situation. Next year, maybe. But not now.

If the Manning flirtation (call it whatever you want) lasts more than five days, it will cross into the start of the free agency period, March 13. It could complicate things because the Jets, according to sources, are very interested in Henne, the former Dolphins starter.

This is going to seem really weird, but as of right now, they want Henne more than Manning. They believe Henne would be the ideal No. 2.

Henne's old coach, Tony Sparano, is the Jets' new offensive coordinator, so there's the connection.

When a coach is installing his system, he always likes to have someone in the huddle -- preferably, the quarterback -- who knows what's going on and can teach others. That makes Henne appealing.

A Sanchez-Henne tandem would create a buzz, but it's presumptuous to think Henne -- even with his mediocre track record -- will accept a No. 2 job with no chance to compete for the starting job. The same goes for Kyle Orton and Jason Campbell, both veteran free agents.

"I don't think Campbell, Orton and Henne are looking initially to be clear No. 2s," one personnel executive said.

The Jets may feel they can sell Henne on the possibility of competing with Sanchez, but money talks and they may not have enough to satisfy Henne, who reportedly expects offers in the $4 million-a-year range.

They've also had internal discussions about Campbell, who was displaced in Oakland by Carson Palmer. The Jets hired former Raiders receivers coach Sanjay Lal, and Sparano is planning to incorporate some Raiders concepts into his offense.

The last thing the Jets want is to be living in a Peyton-less world with a hole behind Sanchez on the depth chart. They want a legitimate No. 2 because, privately, the organization does believe he has been coddled to a certain extent.

No one knows how Sanchez feels about the Manning speculation -- he hasn't talked to reporters since Jan. 3 -- but he can't be loving the chatter about his job security. But as Tannenbaum noted the other day in a radio interview, sometimes feelings get hurt in this business. This will test Sanchez's mental toughness, assuming he returns April 16 -- start of the offseason program -- as the starter.

The clock is ticking, as Sanchez is due a $2.75 million roster bonus on March 28. Unless they renegotiate his contract to eliminate or postpone the bonus, that date will be the deadline for their quarterback decision.

Tannenbaum has made it clear the quarterback depth chart will have a different look by September.

(Adios, Mark Brunell.) Ironically, the player with the most clarity is third-stringer Greg McElroy, who isn't going anywhere even though he created a firestorm for ripping the "corrupt mindset" in the locker room.

It's going to be a memorable month.

Follow Rich Cimini on Twitter: @RichCimini

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get Manning or be prepared for a LOT less Jets interest from the fanbase going into this season-I mean a LOT, lot less. They will be sharing a stadium with the world champs (again) and facing another season behind the Pats for sure (again)...that's no way to start a season being #3 on the totem pole-with very little hope of anything drastically changing with the same crappy QB behind that crappy O-line-REGARDLESS of the 3 pro bowlers there-we saw what they couldn't do-all year and Wayne Hunter will be the starting RT (again). Little hope are the two words that immediately come to mind.

Get Manning or be prepared for a LOT less Jets interest from the fanbase going into this season-I mean a LOT, lot less. They will be sharing a stadium with the world champs (again) and facing another season behind the Pats for sure (again)...that's no way to start a season being #3 on the totem pole-with very little hope of anything drastically changing with the same crappy QB behind that crappy O-line-REGARDLESS of the 3 pro bowlers there-we saw what they couldn't do-all year and Wayne Hunter will be the starting RT (again). Little hope are the two words that immediately come to mind.

The real excitement will come when Manning starts getting further linked to the Dolphins.

I kinda sorta can't wait to watch Tannenbaum bungle the living f*ck out of this whole thing. Lulz city awaits.

Define "bungle the f@ck out of this whole thing" for me

We know how you like to play both sides of the fence, pick a side for once.

Define "bungle the f@ck out of this whole thing" for me

We know how you like to play both sides of the fence, pick a side for once.

Like you play both sides of the sexual preference fence?

Similar to the vaunted Nnamdi chase, Tannenbaum and Woodrow spend the entire offseason chasing Manning around the country, dutifully raising his market value, until Manning signs with Miami or San Francisco, at which point Tannenbaum crawls back onto 1050 to tell the world how Mark Sanchez was his #1 choice the whole time. Sanchez, now entirely emasculated in front of the world, proceeds to hang himself from the coat hook in Santonio Holmes' locker.

Similar to the vaunted Nnamdi chase, Tannenbaum and Woodrow spend the entire offseason chasing Manning around the country, dutifully raising his market value, until Manning signs with Miami or San Francisco, at which point Tannenbaum crawls back onto 1050 to tell the world how Mark Sanchez was his #1 choice the whole time. Sanchez, now entirely emasculated in front of the world, proceeds to hang himself from the coat hook in Santonio Holmes' locker.

I could totally see that. Good luck asking Sanchez to take a pay cut after chasing a pipe dream.

Sort of like how he signed Brett Favre all Stealth Ninja-like?

If we run the price up on Miami I'd consider it a victory.

My God u r such an a$$.

Sort of like how he signed Brett Favre all Stealth Ninja-like?

Tanny is on record saying Mangini didn't want the trade, so it was all Tannenbaum! Awesome! Until Brett retired after missing the playoffs. Then unretired and played for someone else forcing us to find a new QB. And spending a 3rd rounder on Brett who lasted one season. A third rounder that was used by the Packers to trade up for Clay Mathews. Giving the Pats the pick. So. Yeah. Tannenbaum.

Tanny is on record saying Mangini didn't want the trade, so it was all Tannenbaum! Awesome! Until Brett retired after missing the playoffs. Then unretired and played for someone else forcing us to find a new QB. And spending a 3rd rounder on Brett who lasted one season. A third rounder that was used by the Packers to trade up for Clay Mathews. Giving the Pats the pick. So. Yeah. Tannenbaum.

You're so mean. So mean.

I don't care about Sanchez' feelings. He has had no comp for 3 years here. He dumps the ball off more than Chad and he still can not get to 60%. If the QB has to be coddled, what good is he to us or anyone? I am very leery of Peyton's physical condition, though. But we cannot sign him to keep him from oging to Miami. We are not the Yankees, after all. No matter how healthy he appears to be, who knows what a big hit might do to him?

Not always. I play both sides of the fence. Also, I'm a power bottom. Did I just type that? OMG I'm so embarassed. I wish I could take it back! Hope I'm not making you uncomfortable, Tom. But, y'know. It's out there now. So.

No one man should have all that power bottom.

Not sure I'd go that far. But the 2011 season and the QB who played for the Jets were a debacle in every way. All possibilities need to be on the table and discussed rather than smply handing Sanchezs the job.

In fairness nobody here knows, nor does Mike Tannebaum nor Rex Ryan know, who will be the Jets QB on opening day for certain. Because a nonplayoff team with Pick 6 at QB has to explore all those possibilities. Or the FO and CS are lazy a-holes who are not doing their jobs. It may very well turn out based on scheme, salary and "intangibles" the Jets do in fact have Sanchez s their starter as the best possible and cap-friendly outcome. But the idea that it's verboten to even discuss other possibilites is really, really dumb. There was nothing objective you can point to that allows a 8-8 team with an awful QB to simply hand him the job again.

One meme that is really pissing me off here-you are no better a fan because you think Sanchez is the answer.The Jets get no feel good story credits in the standings if he screws the pooch again. And I and SFJ are no less fans for righlty questioning how you can objecitvely say Sanchez should be The Man. We see another season about to be waste(44 years and counting, but who's counting?)d by throwing good money after bad when there are in fact other alternatves. If you are okay with Sanchez, then if, or more likley when, he makes a mess again, you are going to have to fess up that you asked for this- again. I would love nothing better than Sanchez throwing a 35 TD/10 INT/4800 yard season. But whether the OC was Shottenheimer or will be Sparano I see nothing about the guy that allows me to believe that such success is even a remote possibility.

I would pay to hear your reaction when you found out that Tanny made the Brett Favre deal happen. You were giddy like a pint sized cheer leader

If Favre doesn't f*ck up his arm, we make the playoffs, and Mangini doesn't get fired.

In fairness nobody here knows, nor does Mike Tannebaum nor Rex Ryan know, who will be the Jets QB on opening day for certain. Because a nonplayoff team with Pick 6 at QB has to explore all those possibilities.

Thank goodness you were not the GM for the Gnats heading into the 2007 season....you just described Eli Manning to a "T"

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannEl00.htm

Thank goodness you were not the GM for the Gnats heading into the 2007 season....you just described Eli Manning to a "T"

http://www.pro-footb.../M/MannEl00.htm

Except ELi Manning missed high rather than having no idea where his passes are going, in fact did and still does have a bulldog mentality that Sanchez has never had and wil never have, and is a million times smarter on the field than Sanchez will ever be. Also 3 inches taller.

Archived