Cimini: Jet out of Manning Sweepstakes

flgreen

What boggles my mind is they're not going after Manning, ok, that's fine. But you're going to start Sanchez next year and go on record stating no OL in the first round, possible first 3 rounds...with Slauson, Hunter and an aging Moore? Yet your offensive philosophy will be ground and pound? LOL, just...LOL.

What boggles my mind is they're not going after Manning, ok, that's fine. But you're going to start Sanchez next year and go on record stating no OL in the first round, possible first 3 rounds...with Slauson, Hunter and an aging Moore? Yet your offensive philosophy will be ground and pound? LOL, just...LOL.

Has Mike T ever let you down? It'll be fine

The Jets went after Manning. He shot them down.

What should boggle the mind is paying Hunter a roster bonus and then trying to trade him a month later

What should boggle the mind is paying Hunter a roster bonus and then trying to trade him a month later

Trust, the minds been boggled. I have no idea what this team is about. They come out and state their philosophy thumping their chest about it and then give every indication that they will do nothing to support this philosophy. Time to redo some contracts including Sanchez's and go out and get a pass rusher and some ******* offensive lineman. And FYI Slauson is a good value, solid OG who will not cut it if you want to dominate the NFL with your said, "Ground and Pound" philosophy.

i agree and don't buy this story. the timing is off. They probably tried to trade him before they paid him. I wonder how much balls Tanny has to have to call up another team and try to pawn Wayne Hunter in a trade. Or just delusional. This player has zero value.

i agree and don't buy this story. the timing is off. They probably tried to trade him before they paid him. I wonder how much balls Tanny has to have to call up another team and try to pawn Wayne Hunter in a trade. Or just delusional. This player has zero value.

How the Head Coach can sit there with a straight face and call his offense ground and pound with Slauson, Hunter and Keller as your starting TE is another mind boggling moment.

Jets not generating buzz in Peyton sweeps

March, 9, 2012

Mar 9

5:17

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

They were a long shot from the outset, and now it appears the New York Jets have faded away in the Peyton Manning sweepstakes.

The free-agent quarterback began to take recruiting trips Friday, with his first stop in Denver to meet with the Broncos, according to reports. Manning also is expected to visit with the Arizona Cardinals, ESPN reported, with a possible stop at the Kansas City Chiefs.

Publicly, the Manning camp hasn't provided a list of finalists, but the Cards, Broncos and Miami Dolphins are thought to be the top three, according to an official from one of the three teams.

The Jets? If they're still in the hunt, they're taking a stealth approach.

"There's been no mention of the Jets anywhere," the official said. "I think they're out."

The Jets declined to comment. They haven't spoken publicly about Manning since he was released Wednesday by the Indianapolis Colts.

With Manning seemingly out of the picture, the Jets will take a more realistic approach to upgrading the quarterback position. They're expected to pursue former Dolphins starter Chad Henne as soon as the free-agent bell rings Tuesday at 4 p.m.

Ostensibly, the Jets see Henne as a backup to Mark Sanchez, a three-year starter. Henne already knows the offense because he played under new coordinator Tony Sparano in Miami.

Throughout the offseason, coach Rex Ryan has said repeatedly he expects Sanchez to be the starter, but he fueled the Manning speculation by refusing to rule out a potential run at the future Hall of Famer.

Sanchez hasn't commented -- he hasn't spoken with reporters since the end of the season -- but there's concern within the organization that his confidence and stature in the locker room could be damaged by the Manning flirtation.

The Jets were one of 12 teams to reach out to Manning's representatives, sources said. It was a "cursory" phone call to gauge Manning's interest in them, one source said. Evidently, there wasn't much.

Manning could always change his mind, but you'd think a person as meticulous as he is would at least want to meet with a team if he considered it a possible landing spot. The window is closing because teams are pushing Manning for a decision by Tuesday, the start of free agency. ESPN reported Thursday that Manning expected to have a new home within a week.

The Jets had a lot to overcome, including cold weather, a tight salary-cap situation and a dysfunctional locker room. Legendary Jets quarterback Joe Namath slammed his old team, calling it an undesirable location for a player of Manning's stature.

"The Jets have to get things together on their own turf before someone with his background would be interested in coming," Namath said Thursday.

Seriously, WTF is this. This team has been taking too many steps back IMO.

Sanchez hasn't commented -- he hasn't spoken with reporters since the end of the season -- but there's concern within the organization that his confidence and stature in the locker room could be damaged by the Manning flirtation.

the 26 turnovers and overall crappy year damaged his confidence. The Manning flirtation could save his career (if he responds to it like a man instead of a bitch)

the 26 turnovers and overall crappy year damaged his confidence. The Manning flirtation could save his career (if he responds to it like a man instead of a bitch)

Have you seen anything in 3 years to indicate this is a possibility? I assume Mark showers at home or at least separate from the receivers being that Adam Schefter has yet to tweet about a gang rape

Archived