USA Today's top 50 FA's

flgreen

USA TODAY's top 50 NFL free agents

By Nate Davis, USA TODAY

Updated 16m ago

The NFL's free agent market opens for business Tuesday at 4 p.m. ET with a wealth of talent available. Here are The Huddle's top 50 free agents (players who received the franchise tag were not included). They are listed with their age on opening day, height, weight and 2011 team:

peyton-mariox-inset-community.jpg

CAPTION

By Thomas Campbell, US Presswire

COVER STORY: Manning, Mario lead free agent stampede

1. QB Peyton Manning (36, 6-5, 230, Colts): Arguably the most coveted free agent in history, the four-time MVP immediately makes his next team a Super Bowl threat ... assuming his ability reverts to pre-surgical form.
    Fits: Broncos, Cardinals, Dolphins ... 49ers, Texans Titans ...
  2. DE-OLB Mario Williams (27, 6-6, 283, Texans): Prior to his injury-marred 2011 campaign (torn pectoral muscle), he'd averaged nearly 10 sacks over his first five seasons. But he did prove last season he fits in both 4-3 and 3-4 defensive schemes.
    Fits: Chargers, Falcons, Texans
  3. G Carl Nicks (27, 6-5, 343, Saints): As NFL Network analyst Warren Sapp notes, Nicks can block out the sun. Arguably the league's best guard, the first-team all-pro could get a record contract for his position.
    Fits: Chiefs, Cowboys, Saints
  4. QB Matt Flynn (27, 6-2, 225, Packers): He'll come much cheaper than Manning but with barely more NFL game experience than Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, Ryan Tannehill, et al. No one should expect Flynn to be the next Aaron Rodgers, but he better be close to formerly untested risks like Matt Hasselbeck and Matt Schaub.
    Fits: Browns, Dolphins, Seahawks
  5. WR Vincent Jackson (29, 6-5, 230, Chargers): He's both capable of stretching the field while providing a big body in the red zone. A worrisome note -- he's been arrested twice on DUI charges and already incurred one three-game suspension in 2010.
    Fits: Bears, Buccaneers, Redskins
  6. CB Cortland Finnegan (28, 5-10, 188, Titans): He's not what you'd call a shutdown type, but he'll bring welcome coverage skills and scrappiness -- who can forget his bout with Texans wideout Andre Johnson in 2010 -- to most defenses.
    Fits: Buccaneers, Cowboys, Lions
  7. WR Marques Colston (29, 6-4, 225, Saints): He's VJax-lite, though Colston has spent more time running routes in traffic. His drawbacks include a history of knee problems and a perception that he's a product of New Orleans' prolific offensive system.
    Fits: Jaguars, Rams, Redskins
  8. CB Brandon Carr (26, 6-0, 207, Chiefs): Super-sized corner was a fifth-round pick out of Grand Valley State in 2008 but started from Day 1 and has never missed an NFL game. However Brandon Flowers often drew the tougher assignments in Kansas City. No matter, this muscle Carr will be a big help.
    Fits: Bengals, Cowboys, Vikings
  9. WR Pierre Garcon (26, 6-0, 210, Colts): He offers size, speed, production and youth. And even without Manning throwing to him in 2011, he proved effective (70 rec., 947 yards, 6 TDs) and is an ideal No. 2 and maybe a 1A.
    Fits: Jaguars, Redskins, Texans
  10. T Jared Gaither (26, 6-9, 340, Chiefs/Chargers): Injuries and attitude have led to an up-and-down career to date. But he finished strongly in 2011 at San Diego and is really the only proven left tackle available who likely has more years in the windshield than the rearview mirror.
    Fits: Bills, Cardinals, Chargers
  11. DT Jason Jones (26, 6-5, 276, Titans): He's a good interior pass rusher who might also work outside in a 3-4 defense.
    Fits: Buccaneers, Panthers, Titans
  12. WR Mike Wallace (26, 6-0, 199, Steelers): If this restricted free agent doesn't come at the cost of a first-round pick to pry him from Pittsburgh, he'd be much higher on the this list. Speed merchant has averaged nearly 19 yards per catch during three-year career.
    Fits: Browns, Patriots, Steelers
  13. NT Paul Soliai (28, 6-4, 355, Dolphins): It's hard to find block-engulfing nose men, but he's been a reliable one the past two seasons since getting his weight in check.
    Fits: Chargers, Chiefs, Colts
  14. CB Tracy Porter (26, 5-11, 186, Saints): He's not as big or durable as Carr, though Porter's 2009 playoff heroics still resonate.
    Fits: Lions, Raiders, Saints
  15. DE Red Bryant (28, 6-4, 323, Seahawks): Uniquely sized for a base 4-3 end, he's thrived in Seattle's system but certainly could do so elsewhere.
    Fits: Bengals, Patriots, Seahawks
  16. WR Mario Manningham (26, 6-0, 185, Giants): His Super Bowl XLVI heroics certainly won't hurt, but don't forget that Patriots HC Bill Belichick was urging his team to blanket Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks, not Manningham, who may be best suited to a No. 2 role pending further development.
    Fits: Bears, Buccaneers, Jaguars
  17. WR Brandon Lloyd (31, 6-0, 188, Broncos/Rams): He blossomed in 2010 as the league leader in receiving yards (1,448) and even performed well in St. Louis' anemic offense last season (51 rec., 683 yards, 5 TDs in 11 games). His hands and body control are exceptional, and his agile mind should allow him to easily digest another playbook.
    Fits: Jaguars, Patriots, Rams
  18. CB Carlos Rogers (31, 6-0, 192, 49ers): In his first season in San Francisco, he finally flourished as a Pro Bowler and even picked off six passes after struggling to hang onto INTs early in his career. His final impression wasn't as good after he was repeatedly targeted by the Giants in the NFC Championship Game.
    Fits: 49ers, Cowboys, Rams
  19. WR Robert Meachem (27, 6-2, 210, Saints): He could emerge as a bigger threat in a different uniform after generally being no better than a No. 4 option for QB Drew Brees in New Orleans.
    Fits: Bengals, Chargers, Saints
  20. MLB Curtis Lofton (26, 6-0, 241, Falcons): Productive if not elite talent, he's averaged 123 tackles as a four-year starter in Atlanta and improved coverage skills that were once a major liability.
    Fits: Broncos, Eagles, Lions
  21. CB Lardarius Webb (26, 5-10, 182, Ravens): Like Wallace, he's restricted and would cost not only money but a draft pick -- though that can be viewed as a reasonable price for an up-and-coming corner.
    Fits: 49ers, Patriots, Ravens
  22. DE John Abraham (34, 6-4, 263, Falcons): Comes off uneven 2011 season but still finished with 9.5 sacks. Advancing age doesn't work in his favor, but he's only missed five games since 2007 after battling injuries early in his career. Would be great in sub packages.
    Fits: Bears, Saints, Titans
  23. WR Plaxico Burress (35, 6-4, 232, Jets): He'll tell you height can't be taught, and he caught eight TD passes in 2011 after missing the previous two seasons while incarcerated. He could be better in 2012 with the rust entirely gone, but he doesn't separate anymore.
    Fits: Dolphins, Eagles, Panthers
  24. CB Richard Marshall (27, 5-11, 198, Cardinals): Versatile defensive back rebounded with strong 2011 effort.
    Fits: Broncos, Cardinals, Lions
  25. WR Laurent Robinson (27, 6-2, 194, Cowboys): Is he the guy who bounced around the league for four years, or the one who snared 11 TD passes in 14 games with Dallas in 2011? Remember he often enjoyed better matchups while playing with Miles Austin and/or Dez Bryant, but Robinson should still be an intriguing, cost-effective option.
    Fits: Bengals, Cardinals, Texans
  26. G Ben Grubbs (28, 6-3, 310, Ravens): He's probably the best interior O-line option after Nicks.
    Fits: Cowboys, Chiefs, Ravens
  27. TE Jacob Tamme (27, 6-3, 236, Colts): He was a Dallas Clark clone while filling in for him in 2010 (67 rec., 631 yards, 4 TDs). With the spreading trend of two-tight-end offenses, Tamme could be a better option now than Clark, who's 33 and often in the trainers' room.
    Fits: Cardinals, Dolphins, Giants
  28. QB Kyle Orton (29, 6-4, 225, Broncos/Chiefs): He seems unwanted wherever he lands even though he always tends to perform well. A perfect bridge to a youngster if he can't compete for a long-term starting gig.
    Fits: Chiefs, Dolphins, Seahawks
  29. C Chris Myers (31, 6-4, 289, Texans): The first Pro Bowl blocker in Texans history is perfectly suited to their zone-blocking scheme.
    Fits: Packers, Rams, Texans
  30. RB Michael Bush (28, 6-1, 245, Raiders): He's big, durable and has soft hands. Should get a starting shot somewhere.
    Fits: Bengals, Buccaneers, Packers
  31. DE Luis Castillo (29, 6-3, 290, Chargers): A broken leg cost him most of 2011. But the popularity of the 3-4 defense should drive up his popularity among recruiters.
    Fits: Colts, Packers, Ravens
  32. C Scott wells (31, 6-2, 300, Packers): A bit undersized and maybe a bit underappreciated, though he earned his first Pro Bowl nod in 2011.
    Fits: Packers, Raiders, Texans
  33. WR Reggie Wayne (33, 6-0, 198, Colts): He had a solid season (75 rec., 960 yards, 4 TDs) despite Indianapolis' quarterback carousel and his age. Look for him to ride with Peyton Manning again in 2012.
    Fits: Broncos, Cardinals, Dolphins
  34. S LaRon Landry (27, 6-0, 220, Redskins): His talent is undeniable. So is his medical chart. He can be a game changer on the back end provided he's healthy and playing within the scheme.
    Fits: Cowboys, Eagles, Jets
  35. TE Visanthe Shiancoe (32, 6-4, 250, Vikings): He's been quite productive in Minnesota and should find a soft landing spot in a league increasingly focused on his position.
    Fits: Cardinals, Dolphins, Giants
  36. LB London Fletcher (37, 5-10, 245, Redskins): Only knock on him is his date of birth, though he comes off a season when he led the league with 166 tackles. Brings durability and passion and fits in 4-3 and 3-4 alignments.
    Fits: Broncos, Eagles, Lions
  37. RB Peyton Hillis (26, 6-2, 250, Browns): He looked like an emerging star in 2010 (1,654 yards from scrimmage) but perhaps a shooting star a year later when his production was cut in half and the drama surrounding him seemed never-ending.
    Fits: Bengals, Buccaneers, Colts
  38. TE John Carlson (28, 6-5, 241, Seahawks): A shoulder injury cost him last season and probably some money in the market. Still, he's got good hands and blocks well enough.
    Fits: Cardinals, Colts, Giants
  39. CB Eric Wright (27, 5-10, 190, Lions): After receiving death threats in Cleveland in 2010, he bounced back last year in Detroit with 74 tackles and four picks.
    Fits: Buccaneers, Lions, Rams
  40. LB Jo-Lonn Dunbar (27, 6-0, 226, Saints): One of the many free agents New Orleans may lose in what's quickly turning into an ugly offseason. Dunbar did well as a full-time starter in 2011.
    Fits: Bears, Lions, Rams
  41. CB Terrell Thomas (27, 6-0, 191, Giants): A torn ACL in preseason ruined his 2011 season. Not yet fully recovered, he still might be a good investment given his size and production after averaging 93 tackles and five INTs over the 2009 and 2010 seasons.
    Fits: Bears, Buccaneers, Lions
  42. LB Stephen Tulloch (27, 5-11, 240, Lions): Like Lofton, he's not especially eye-popping but puts ballcarriers down while averaging more than 130 tackles since 2009.
    Fits: Eagles, Lions, Vikings
  43. RB Mike Tolbert (26, 5-9, 243, Chargers): He caught 54 passes last year, a nice bonus from a guy who's found the end zone 21 times since 2010. Good change of pace option for a team with a scatback atop the depth chart.
    Fits: Buccaneers, Chiefs, Giants
  44. G Steve Hutchinson (34, 6-5, 313, Vikings): There are probably a few years left for a guy who should end up in Canton. His leadership aligns with his substantial ability as he looks for another team close to the Super Bowl ring that's eluded him.
    Fits: Chargers, Cowboys, Ravens
  45. DT Brodrick Bunkley (28, 6-2, 306, Broncos): Revitalized his career in Denver last season and could help any number of 4-3 teams.
    Fits: Bears, Bengals, Panthers
  46. C Nick Hardwick (30, 6-4, 305, Chargers): Steady player is needed on a San Diego line that seems to be in the midst of a shakeup.
    Fits: Chargers, Colts, Packers
  47. RB Cedric Benson (29, 5-11, 227, Bengals): Reliable player (at least on the field) comes off three consecutive 1,000-yard efforts in Cincinnati but could be destined for backup duties.
    Fits: Chiefs, Raiders, Ravens
  48. DE Jeremy Mincey (28, 6-3, 270, Jaguars): Seems to have finally figured out NFL after eight-sack season in 2011. Young pass rushers are always at a premium, though he must prove last year wasn't an aberration.
    Fits: Bills, Falcons, Jaguars
  49. QB Jason Campbell (30, 6-5, 230, Raiders): He was having a solid 2011 season before breaking his collarbone. Could serve as a band-aid somewhere though he's probably headed for a backup post.
    Fits: Jets, Seahawks, Steelers
  50. RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis (27, 5-11, 215, Patriots): Will he flash breakaway speed? No. Is he a great receiver? No. ... But has he ever fumbled? No. Will he block, execute his assignments, get you some yards and put the ball in the end zone? Yes.
    Fits: Chargers, Steelers, Titans

The following players received franchise tags: Lions DE Cliff Avril, Buccaneers K Connor Barth, Chiefs WR Dwayne Bowe, Raiders S Tyvon Branch, Saints QB Drew Brees (exclusive tag), Cardinals DE Calais Campbell, Redskins TE Fred Davis, Browns K Phil Dawson, Bears RB Matt Forte, 49ers S Dashon Goldson, Titans S Michael Griffin, Falcons CB Brent Grimes, Eagles WR/PR DeSean Jackson, Colts DE Robert Mathis (re-signed), Bengals K Mike Nugent, Broncos K Matt Prater, Ravens RB Ray Rice, Jaguars K Josh Scobee, Cowboys OLB Anthony Spencer, Giants P Steve Weatherford, Patriots WR Wes Welker

Thanks for posting...there is a lot of pretty good FA's out there.

I did get a laugh that the "Fits" section of these breakdowns all have the same teams and the Jets are only a fit for Landry. Like they cant use a #2 WR, OL, RB, S or LB.

I've never put a huge value on the RB position, but I think Sanchez could benefit from a Tolbert/Bush type player who's a big bruiser that can catch out of the backfield. I'd love to see them get a Laurent Robinson type receiver join the Jets. Players that arent going to demand insane money and are still playing to prove something and are all in the prime FA age range - 26-28.

Not really to big on any defensive FA's this season - I want our first couple of picks to be OLB and S.

49. QB Jason Campbell (30, 6-5, 230, Raiders): He was having a solid 2011 season before breaking his collarbone. Could serve as a band-aid somewhere though he's probably headed for a backup post.

Fits: Jets, Seahawks, Steelers

No way he comes to the Jets after the franchise destroying contract extension/air-tight guarantees they gave to Sanchez.

Without taking a flyer on injury prone players, the following guys fill needs without breaking the bank: Tolbert; Winston; and Tamme. Not hearing much about Garay, but he could provide solid DL depth if he is not looking for a huge payday.

I dont think the Jets sign any of the top 50 FA. JMO.

Bell and Collins, two possible RT options, didn't make the list. Bell might look for a starting LT job, but if he just wants to be a starting T then the door is wide open.

I really would like either of those two for RT.

Without taking a flyer on injury prone players, the following guys fill needs without breaking the bank: Tolbert; Winston; and Tamme.

Jacob Tamme is 235 no way they sign him to go with 235 Keller. they need a 270 TE to replace Mulligan. Sparano loves big TE and hates H Backs.

I did get a laugh that the "Fits" section of these breakdowns all have the same teams and the Jets are only a fit for Landry. Like they cant use a #2 WR, OL, RB, S or LB.

I've never put a huge value on the RB position, but I think Sanchez could benefit from a Tolbert/Bush type player who's a big bruiser that can catch out of the backfield. I'd love to see them get a Laurent Robinson type receiver join the Jets. Players that arent going to demand insane money and are still playing to prove something and are all in the prime FA age range - 26-28.

Not really to big on any defensive FA's this season - I want our first couple of picks to be OLB and S.

I think Mario Williams would be a pretty good fit for the Jets

Jacob Tamme is 235 no way they sign him to go with 235 Keller. they need a 270 TE to replace Mulligan. Sparano loves big TE and hates H Backs.

Oh, I fully expect to pick up a no-hands, blocking TE. But I also expect a predominantly short, high percentage passing game and having two TE's who can catch fits that scheme.

Oh, I fully expect to pick up a no-hands, blocking TE. But I also expect a predominantly short, high percentage passing game and having two TE's who can catch fits that scheme.

I'd rather get a TE that can catch as well as block instead of getting an undersized T to play the spot.

I think Mario Williams would be a pretty good fit for the Jets

Probably, I'm not overly high on him as I dont think he's worth the price he'll be seeking. Hasnt had a double digit sack season in like 4 years but will want to be paid like a premier pass rusher.

Oh and Carlson TE would be interesting, as would Early Doucet WR.

Thats they type of signings I'd like to see. Good potential, decent production, low cost with something to prove.

Agree. Useful thread.

We need to keep track of the cuts too. I just saw Terrence Newman was cut. Could you imagine adding him to our stable of CBs?

Archived