Why the Jets front office deserves more criticism than the dolphins

ShaunLowrieNFL

So you feel they handled this well? The Holmes thing was maybe something that they couldn't control now, but it is still something they are responsible for.

Do Jets fans not see it that way? (genuine question) I'm just interested that anyone posting a relatively well thought out critique could be called a troll?

Just for the record this board is awesome, I run a messageboard (unrelated to the NFL) and the reputation stuff looks really good. Also like facebook/twitter login option but just so you know it didn't work for me during registration, may want to take a look at that.

Kicking the tires on Manning? Lying to Drew Stanton? Really had to dig to get to five, didn't you?

You made points about the Jets' QB's and top WR. Do you think the fish are in better shape than the Jets at those positions?

The Jets promised Drew Stanton they would not DRAFT or SIGN another QB...... Promise was kept. Not Tanny's fault that Stanton's agent isn't smart enough to mention trade as well.
Serious question. Trading for a QB isnt signing that QB? Im not sure if there is a difference. If im thinking that you're not going to draft or sign a QB then I would assume trade as well. If you make a trade the QB still has to sign with the team right? Cant Tebow refuse to play for the Jets?

Jets just traded scraps for a former 1st round pick, heisman winner, and 2X national champ

Jets just got a lot better, no 4th round pick could bring the value and talent of a winner like Tebow

IMO this is the bottom line.

Tebow is not here as Sanchez's replacement. Here's here to give the Jets another dimension. We'll see how big it is. This whole thing is a media controversy.

It's a 4th round pick for a productive player

Kicking the tires on Manning? Lying to Drew Stanton? Really had to dig to get to five, didn't you?

You made points about the Jets' QB's and top WR. Do you think the fish are in better shape than the Jets at those positions?

But do you not see the two broader points? Of course nobody cares about Drew Stanton, he's a marginal backup who I was surprised the Jets went after in the first place, but in some way he fit the scheme and they clearly wanted him. When you make promises to a guy and then break them a couple of WEEKS later, it reflects badly. If you were a player who would be on the fringes of the roster come August, would you see the Jets a bit differently given that they seem to make shotgun moves at the expense of newly signed players?

Like I said, the best way of avoiding that is to not make the promise. The whole incident looks bad from a neutral perspective.

As far as Manning goes, I just don't see the need to come out and blatantly lie. All these things have a cumulative effect that makes the front office seem untrustworthy and incompetent, and the Dolphins are currently reaping the consequences. Basically all I'm saying is that the front office seems to be making decisions without looking at the situation and thinking ahead and then they don't seem to be learning from it.

I like Rex as a coach but I'd be asking big questions of Tannenbaum, because I don't think the two personalities they have are conducive to running a business.

IMO this is the bottom line.

Tebow is not here as Sanchez's replacement. Here's here to give the Jets another dimension. We'll see how big it is. This whole thing is a media controversy.

It's a 4th round pick for a productive player

Do you not think though, that at some point the boo birds are coming out for Sanchez and that some fans and maybe even players will start to want Tebow in as starter? Look at the sheer force of personality that he has and the level of media attention this has gotten, well that's going to triple the second Sanchez throws a pick.

I actually really like Tebow (see also, my 25,000 word essay on the current QB situation) http://nflvoice.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/nfl-quarterback-rankings-2012_12.html and think he can be productive in the right situation, so no doubt in my mind it's a good signing, but realistically they will have to do so much to make it successful that it will likely make Sanchez redundant. In that case, why give Sanchez the contract? The answer is that they just didn't think. They were in an ideal situation to assess him without committing too much, and for no reason, they upped the ante.

I genuinely think if they haven't even considered that Tebow will eventually start, that's unbelievably naive. I mean you have to have that conversation don't you?

While the Jets possibly made this move to use Tebow as a situational player as soon as Sanchez has one bad game the Fans will think otherwise and a controversy that the media will be all over will begin.

Shaun I agree with every point you make especially Santonio Holmes Its was moronic to sign him to that deal and it was more moronic to not dump him this year before that bonus was due. if the Jets wanted to send a real freakin message about fixing their locker room problems cutting Holmes was that message. Sanchez and Holmes do not like one another and I do not think thats going to change much. Holmes is a prick and if things dont go his way I do not put it past him to lay down on this team early on. If things do go bad it will be interesting to see how this organization totally crumbles due to the stupid money spent on this Thug POS

I genuinely think if they haven't even considered that Tebow will eventually start, that's unbelievably naive. I mean you have to have that conversation don't you?

I think its possible the Jets could have considered Tebow as a starter and while that may work in some situations or energize a team like it did the Broncos it will never ever ever get you to a SB anyone who thinks a QB who plays like Tebow could ever win vs the elite teams in the NFL consistently is nuts.

But do you not see the two broader points? Of course nobody cares about Drew Stanton, he's a marginal backup who I was surprised the Jets went after in the first place, but in some way he fit the scheme and they clearly wanted him. When you make promises to a guy and then break them a couple of WEEKS later, it reflects badly. If you were a player who would be on the fringes of the roster come August, would you see the Jets a bit differently given that they seem to make shotgun moves at the expense of newly signed players?

Like I said, the best way of avoiding that is to not make the promise. The whole incident looks bad from a neutral perspective.

As far as Manning goes, I just don't see the need to come out and blatantly lie. All these things have a cumulative effect that makes the front office seem untrustworthy and incompetent, and the Dolphins are currently reaping the consequences. Basically all I'm saying is that the front office seems to be making decisions without looking at the situation and thinking ahead and then they don't seem to be learning from it.

I like Rex as a coach but I'd be asking big questions of Tannenbaum, because I don't think the two personalities they have are conducive to running a business.

I see the points you're attempting to make, but it's pretty obvious that you came to the article from the perspective that you don't like the Jets and wanted to make the facts fit your premise.

I consider both Manning and Stanton to be complete non-issues. Tannenbaum prides himself on the fact that he'll look at every player available that he thinks will possibly help the team. So he gives Manning a call to ask what it'll cost to sign him. Oh, 5 years $100M? Alright, never mind.

Tebow OTOH, was affordable, so he pulled the trigger. if Stanton is really so upset, he can offer to give back the $500K the Jets guaranteed him and walk. I don't see him doing that just yet.

I have plenty of problems with the front office, but they usually have more to do with holding onto players to long, not looking at replacements. The Santonio contract looks bad in retrospect, but Rex loves the guy and the team tried to have some consistency at the WR position for Sanchez.

Do you not think though, that at some point the boo birds are coming out for Sanchez and that some fans and maybe even players will start to want Tebow in as starter? Look at the sheer force of personality that he has and the level of media attention this has gotten, well that's going to triple the second Sanchez throws a pick.

I actually really like Tebow (see also, my 25,000 word essay on the current QB situation) http://nflvoice.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/nfl-quarterback-rankings-2012_12.html and think he can be productive in the right situation, so no doubt in my mind it's a good signing, but realistically they will have to do so much to make it successful that it will likely make Sanchez redundant. In that case, why give Sanchez the contract? The answer is that they just didn't think. They were in an ideal situation to assess him without committing too much, and for no reason, they upped the ante.

Of course they've thought about that possibility. Tebow hadn't even made it to New York, and Tannenbaum was talking to the press about the possibility of Sanchez going 3 & out three times in a row, and Tebow coming in and being effective.

They've got a head coach that wants to ground and pound and eat the clock on offense, and they've got a new OC who loves the wildcat. It's an obvious match for Tebow, and Sanchez for the first time in his pro career needs to be watching his back - the other perceived benefit of the trade.

Serious question. Trading for a QB isnt signing that QB? Im not sure if there is a difference. If im thinking that you're not going to draft or sign a QB then I would assume trade as well. If you make a trade the QB still has to sign with the team right? Cant Tebow refuse to play for the Jets?

No. Tebow and his contract are traded to the Jets. He is now under contract with the Jets whether he likes it or not. The contract he signed with Denver is still in effect.

I was being sort of sarcastic about the whole thing though. Sucks for Drew Stanton, but he sucks anyway. Hard for a guy to complain when he just got over a million bucks to stand and hold a clip board.

I see the points you're attempting to make, but it's pretty obvious that you came to the article from the perspective that you don't like the Jets and wanted to make the facts fit your premise.

I consider both Manning and Stanton to be complete non-issues. Tannenbaum prides himself on the fact that he'll look at every player available that he thinks will possibly help the team. So he gives Manning a call to ask what it'll cost to sign him. Oh, 5 years $100M? Alright, never mind.

Tebow OTOH, was affordable, so he pulled the trigger. if Stanton is really so upset, he can offer to give back the $500K the Jets guaranteed him and walk. I don't see him doing that just yet.

I have plenty of problems with the front office, but they usually have more to do with holding onto players to long, not looking at replacements. The Santonio contract looks bad in retrospect, but Rex loves the guy and the team tried to have some consistency at the WR position for Sanchez.

Of course they've thought about that possibility. Tebow hadn't even made it to New York, and Tannenbaum was talking to the press about the possibility of Sanchez going 3 & out three times in a row, and Tebow coming in and being effective.

They've got a head coach that wants to ground and pound and eat the clock on offense, and they've got a new OC who loves the wildcat. It's an obvious match for Tebow, and Sanchez for the first time in his pro career needs to be watching his back - the other perceived benefit of the trade.

I don't think there is any place for you on this site any more. Once posts start having logic, and common sense it's time to move on

No. Tebow and his contract are traded to the Jets. He is now under contract with the Jets whether he likes it or not. The contract he signed with Denver is still in effect.

I was being sort of sarcastic about the whole thing though. Sucks for Drew Stanton, but he sucks anyway. Hard for a guy to complain when he just got over a million bucks to stand and hold a clip board.

Thanks for answering. Your last statement is true, but I think Stanton actually wants to play. If thats the case then the money may not be as important as being the back up if Sanchez is injured or benched.

It only takes a Mo Lewis type hit for an opportunity! Not that I hope Sanchez gets injured of course, but I kinda dig Stanton's position here. I dont know much about him but from what I see/hear he seems like a football player and not a guy wanting to be paid a million+ to hold a clip board. Thats a very good back up in my opinion.

Think I will change my screen name from Jetfan13 to Jetfan13NFL, makes me look much more credible.

I take it you didn't read my blogger profile then... fair enough point but I'm not going shy away from it, as I suspect others wouldn't either.

fwiw to the long and eloquent replier, I don't hate the jets at all but a proper response will have to wait.

****+you+very+much%252C+****+you+is+the+new+thank+you+%25286%2529.jpg

you know not for nuthin' Jon but you're the first one to always complain about this kind of stuff when it's done to you but it's always OK for YOU to call fellow Jets fans the SOJ crowd and then posting an eat %*&* and die sign to me but here you go again. Where's the civility that you cry about? Respect the board dude

Archived