Throw out the the Tebow as our starter idea

GREENBEAN

I don't think I saw this article here yet. if it is, sorry.

Pretty interesting stuff about Tebow's mechanics and such.

Former coach says throw away idea Tebow can pass

Jets Blog

By PAUL SCHWARTZ

Last Updated: 8:46 AM, March 23, 2012

Posted: 2:35 AM, March 23, 2012

More icon_print.gif Print

There is nothing about the way Tim Tebow throws the football that suggests he will ever be more than a novelty act in the NFL, a career understudy, unless he dramatically alters his mechanics.

So says a John Elway-confidant who has spoken with the Hall of Fame quarterback about Tebow’s time with the Broncos.

“I think there’s things you can fix,’’ said the source, who did not want his name attached to any Tebow-bashing.

UPDATES FROM OUR JETS BLOG

WHY DID TEBOW PICK THE JETS?

Elway, the Broncos executive vice president of football operations, instigated the signing of Peyton Manning, a move that instantly ushered in the end of Tebow’s short-lived Rocky Mountain high. Elway threw the bait in the water and the Jets were hooked, giving up two draft picks and $2.5 million to acquire Tebow and all the hysteria that comes with him, saying they will make him the backup to Mark Sanchez.

Unless the requirements for the No. 2 quarterback include virtually no passing the Jets might be in trouble.

“I’ve talked to John Elway several times about him, I told him you got all these guys working with him but trust me, they’re on the wrong path,’’ the source, a former NFL coach, told The Post. “His biggest problem is he carries the ball too high, when he carries the ball high on the back shoulder he has a long release, which means when he cocks the ball and throws it that ball is moving a lot, which is not going to help his accuracy, it’s going to hurt it. Nobody’s corrected that in him.

“And he’s got a loose wrist, when he comes back with his wrist the ball is moving all over the place. You watch that ball, the nose is forward and then it’s sideways and then it’s up and it’s down, you can’t throw the ball that way. It’s correctable.’’

The awkward throwing motion is not the only issue with Tebow, who starred in college at Florida using his formidable athletic gifts and the superior talents of those around him.

“The guy is not the sharpest tool in the shed,’’ the source said. “He’s a great leader, 10 out of 10 as a leader, energy, work ethic, everything you want in a quarterback but he doesn’t see the field.

“It’s hard for him to go back and think a progression through: If this is the coverage go to this guy, if this is the coverage go to that guy. He doesn’t do that very well. That’s the difference with college football and pro football. It’s so much more sophisticated and he’s limited that way.’’

Used strictly for a handful of plays in the Wildcat offense, Tebow can excel — as long as the package of plays remains small and limited in scope.

“If you practice them all the time you can get good at ’em,’’ the source said. “Where you get the upper hand is the defense has played eight games and they haven’t seen the Wildcat yet. They’ve got to use a number of plays on their practice schedule that week to the Wildcat and they may see a lot of it and they may not see it at all. But this isn’t some offense that can’t be stopped.’’

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/ex_nfl_coach_backup_is_lost_aMtLWGmOpFUeiwacxJrb4K#ixzz1qsmN7266

He's not saying anything that hasnt been said before. He just took the opportunity to call him stupid and thats not cool.

My favorite line from the piece:

Unless the requirements for the No. 2 quarterback include virtually no passing the Jets might be in trouble.

The number 2 QB is usually required to do very little passing, hence why he's the number 2 QB.

If not for Tebowmania, Timmy would've been drafted in the 4th or 5th round with the understanding that he'd be moving to an H-back type position. He's not a natural QB. Word is that he's a natural leader, and my biggest concern is that he leads the Jets into an unwarranted QB controversy that they don't need based almost entirely on the cult of his personality.

But if the Jets can keep him in check, he can be a useful offensive weapon. If Sanchez has to come out for a couple plays, Tebow can step in and do his wildcat thing until Mark is ready to step back in.

I think what Drew Stanton may've missed, though, is that if Sanchez is injured and has a miss a number of games there will be a real opportunity for the #3 QB to see significant playing time while Tebow continues in his wildcat role. It's actually not a bad spot for a guy like McElroy, who can potentially be a short passing game manager, with Tebow coming in to run the wildcat and throw Hail Marys. Pun intended, but Tebow has the arm to throw it inaccurately long.

In other words, this article makes no significant points as long as the Jets entered this deal with their eyes open.

Unless the requirements for the No. 2 quarterback include virtually no passing, except in the fourth quarter, where they will get a passer with a 106 passer rating, the Jets might be in trouble, unless they happen to be in a close ballgame heading to the fourth quarter, which they might be more often than not, if they play defense they way they have for every year under Rex Ryan.

I think this is what he meant to write...

My favorite line from the piece:

The number 2 QB is usually required to do very little passing, hence why he's the number 2 QB.

Unfortunately, the #1 QB does pass the ball. And, that's usually where the problems begin.

If not for Tebowmania, Timmy would've been drafted in the 4th or 5th round with the understanding that he'd be moving to an H-back type position. He's not a natural QB. Word is that he's a natural leader, and my biggest concern is that he leads the Jets into an unwarranted QB controversy that they don't need based almost entirely on the cult of his personality.

But if the Jets can keep him in check, he can be a useful offensive weapon. If Sanchez has to come out for a couple plays, Tebow can step in and do his wildcat thing until Mark is ready to step back in.

I think what Drew Stanton may've missed, though, is that if Sanchez is injured and has a miss a number of games there will be a real opportunity for the #3 QB to see significant playing time while Tebow continues in his wildcat role. It's actually not a bad spot for a guy like McElroy, who can potentially be a short passing game manager, with Tebow coming in to run the wildcat and throw Hail Marys. Pun intended, but Tebow has the arm to throw it inaccurately long.

In other words, this article makes no significant points as long as the Jets entered this deal with their eyes open.

Based on the actual words spoken by Rex, I'm pretty sure the Jets have a clearly defined role for Tebow in mind that does not include him starting at QB.

I don't think Rex is the type of coach that will be cowed by media pressure to start anyone.

If I didn't know what the Jets record was last year and I had to guess based solely on your "analysis" of Mark Sanchez's play, I would say they went 2-14 at best.

If I didn't watch any games last year, I would still think Mark Sanchez was a pretty crappy QB last year that probably cost his team a few games.

“The guy is not the sharpest tool in the shed,’’ the source said. “He’s a great leader, 10 out of 10 as a leader, energy, work ethic, everything you want in a quarterback but he doesn’t see the field.

“It’s hard for him to go back and think a progression through: If this is the coverage go to this guy, if this is the coverage go to that guy. He doesn’t do that very well. That’s the difference with college football and pro football. It’s so much more sophisticated and he’s limited that way.’’

Man, take out the leader and energy stuff and this reads like some sh*t you'd see about Sanchez. But of course, the pouting is what makes Sanchez sucking at least a little bit entertaining.

I don't think I saw this article here yet. if it is, sorry.

Pretty interesting stuff about Tebow's mechanics and such.

Former coach says throw away idea Tebow can pass

Jets Blog

By PAUL SCHWARTZ

Last Updated: 8:46 AM, March 23, 2012

Posted: 2:35 AM, March 23, 2012

More icon_print.gif Print

There is nothing about the way Tim Tebow throws the football that suggests he will ever be more than a novelty act in the NFL, a career understudy, unless he dramatically alters his mechanics.

So says a John Elway-confidant who has spoken with the Hall of Fame quarterback about Tebow’s time with the Broncos.

“I think there’s things you can fix,’’ said the source, who did not want his name attached to any Tebow-bashing.

UPDATES FROM OUR JETS BLOG

WHY DID TEBOW PICK THE JETS?

Elway, the Broncos executive vice president of football operations, instigated the signing of Peyton Manning, a move that instantly ushered in the end of Tebow’s short-lived Rocky Mountain high. Elway threw the bait in the water and the Jets were hooked, giving up two draft picks and $2.5 million to acquire Tebow and all the hysteria that comes with him, saying they will make him the backup to Mark Sanchez.

“I’ve talked to John Elway several times about him, I told him you got all these guys working with him but trust me, they’re on the wrong path,’’ the source, a former NFL coach, told The Post. “His biggest problem is he carries the ball too high, when he carries the ball high on the back shoulder he has a long release, which means when he cocks the ball and throws it that ball is moving a lot, which is not going to help his accuracy, it’s going to hurt it. Nobody’s corrected that in him.

“And he’s got a loose wrist, when he comes back with his wrist the ball is moving all over the place. You watch that ball, the nose is forward and then it’s sideways and then it’s up and it’s down, you can’t throw the ball that way. It’s correctable.’’

The awkward throwing motion is not the only issue with Tebow, who starred in college at Florida using his formidable athletic gifts and the superior talents of those around him.

Used strictly for a handful of plays in the Wildcat offense, Tebow can excel — as long as the package of plays remains small and limited in scope.

“If you practice them all the time you can get good at ’em,’’ the source said. “Where you get the upper hand is the defense has played eight games and they haven’t seen the Wildcat yet. They’ve got to use a number of plays on their practice schedule that week to the Wildcat and they may see a lot of it and they may not see it at all. But this isn’t some offense that can’t be stopped.’’

Read more: http://www.nypost.co...K#ixzz1qsmN7266

Anyone already knows that Tebow's mechanics need to be honed.....is it an impossible task...NO.....can it be done...Yes...It really is up to Tebow to learn and adjust and I do believe that will happen.

By the way, Elway didnt want this kid from the start and stabbed him in the back even after Tebow took an average Bronco's team and single handly made them viable again and took them to the playoffs.

Be very careful what you wish for....Denver is one injury away from being a non-factor for another 10 years....eat that Elway!

If I didn't watch any games last year, I would still think Mark Sanchez was a pretty crappy QB last year that probably cost his team a few games.

I'm in no way suggesting that Sanchez was great or even good last year. Hell, there were times he was barely serviceable. But EY seems to place the guy at some kind of bizarrely terrible level of below-Browning Nagle awful.

That is true, but you cannot pin these losses, Raiders game, Broncos game and Giants game on Sanchez.......that was on the D.

Anyone already knows that Tebow's mechanics need to be honed.....is it an impossible task...NO.....can it be done...Yes...It really is up to Tebow to learn and adjust and I do believe that will happen.

By the way, Elway didnt want this kid from the start and stabbed him in the back even after Tebow took an average Bronco's team and single handly made them viable again and took them to the playoffs.

Be very careful what you wish for....Denver is one injury away from being a non-factor for another 10 years....eat that Elway!

It's really not fixable. No QB has ever come into the league with mechanics as bad as Tebow and "fixed" them.

It's really not fixable. No QB has ever come into the league with mechanics as bad as Tebow and "fixed" them.

It's no different than pitching in baseball from a mechanics point of view. Yes it is difficult and it can be done (Fran Tarkenton I believe dealt with similar situations). Have faith!

That is true, but you cannot pin these losses, Raiders game, Broncos game and Giants game on Sanchez.......that was on the D.

Giants game: Sanchez went 30 for 59, two interceptions, a fumble and put up fourteen points. Eli Manning went 9 for 27 with one TD and one INT.

Broncos game: We scored thirteen points. The Broncos had 220 yds of total offense.

Only members of Mark Sanchez' family would pin these losses on the defense.

No mention of the Dolphin game, I see.

Nothing new in the article.

I am very happy Tebow is with the Jets, and clearly understand that he will never be a top level starting QB in the NFL. I think Rex and the FO understand that just as clearly. He is not going to be replacing Sanchez as the starter unless there is an injury. Even then maybe not.

3 O's will not have to be learned. The O for McElroy will be the exact same as it is for Sanchez. How many "Bombs" did Sanchez throw last year? How many teams in the NFL actually have a lot of deep upfield passes? The way D's play now it is very difficult to toss the ball 40 yards upfield with a reasonable expectation to complete it.

Tebow is not really going to play out of the "Wild cat" It is going to more of a spread O type with him as the main play maker, but a lot of the plays are just going to be him in the shotgun, and then make a play. We already run a lot of plays out of the shotgun, and so do most teams in the NFL.

It is only going to add another dimension to the offense. If your already a Sanchez hater that thinks he has no chance to ever be an NFL QB the only thing that would have made you happy was Manning, which was just silly. The Jets never intended to make a serious play for Manning. There was no other QB available that has any brighter future then the negative view of the Sanchez haters.

I'm not in that category, and think Sanchez can still develop into a very good NFL QB. In the long run I really don't see a down side to Tebow being here, except for the media frenzy. If either Rex or Sanchez is overwhelmed by it then they don't deserve their jobs.

Tebow is not a traditional back up QB. He is going to be playing a lot of different roles on the team which will only make the offense more difficult to defend

If I didn't know what the Jets record was last year and I had to guess based solely on your "analysis" of Mark Sanchez's play, I would say they went 2-14 at best.

If Sanchesa was the starting QB for IND//STL/CLE he would've been 2-14.. That's kind of the point

Heck, if he was the startin QB on Carolina they'd have been 2-14...

There wasn't too many starting QB's that Sanchesa was better then last year

Is there anybody on the planet that doesn't think Rex is eventually going to start Tebow?

Two scenarios in which Tebow starts:

1.) Sanchez is injured.

2.) Sanchez is so mentally weak that he collapses under Tebowmania the first time the boobirds start singing.

Two weeks after Tebow gets his first start, the McElroy chants will begin.

Giants game: Sanchez went 30 for 59, two interceptions, a fumble and put up fourteen points. Eli Manning went 9 for 27 with one TD and one INT.

Broncos game: We scored thirteen points. The Broncos had 220 yds of total offense.

Only members of Mark Sanchez' family would pin these losses on the defense.

No mention of the Dolphin game, I see.

All I am saying is Sanchez was not on the field when Cruz caught the TD and ran for 1000yards down field, and Sanchez wasn't on the field trying to tackle Tebow and the score was 17-7 Jets when the D went to sleep in the Raider game....there is plenty of blame to go around but lets be objective about things not subjective.

It's actually a lot different than pitching in baseball.

Don't want to argue, but it really is not that different, foot work, foot placement, shoulder/hip placement and finishing with your wrist and fingers.....think about it

The quotes you're putting around "analysis" I'm assuming to signify the reality of what we see on the field based on the offensive production of the Jets.

I'm in no way suggesting that Sanchez was great or even good last year. Hell, there were times he was barely serviceable. But EY seems to place the guy at some kind of bizarrely terrible level of below-Browning Nagle awful.

I don't think he's an all-time bad QB. I think he's a current bad QB with out much in the way of promise for upside.

Still excited for Klecko73isHomer to jump off this bandwagon and tell everyone that the moment he did it was the only appropriate moment to do so.

Is there anybody on the planet that doesn't think Rex is eventually going to start Tebow?

The problem is The organization did not handle this from the start (with the Peyton stuff and to the Tebow stuff). I just hope both QB's are ready to play at a high level so we can get to the playoffs and to be honest I don't care which QB does it as long as one of them does......

I don't think he's an all-time bad QB. I think he's a current bad QB with out much in the way of promise for upside.

Still excited for Klecko73isHomer to jump off this bandwagon and tell everyone that the moment he did it was the only appropriate moment to do so.

In response to my post where I said that Sanchez was "barely serviceable" at times last season you call me a "homer." :face:

So simply believing that it is moronic to give up on a QB you traded up 12 spots to get after only three years when there are plenty of examples of young QBs blossoming in year four and five makes you a homer now?

Funny, I thought it was simply rational.

I guess the only way you aren't a homer around here is if you're a negative prick who questions the intelligence of anyone who disagrees with you.

Archived