Will Hill Making a Comeback

hoping4ASuperBowl

Rotoworld:

SI.com's Tony Pauline reports free agent S Will Hill is "hoping to make a comeback," and the Jets and Giants are "showing interest."

Hill would be "coming back" from going undrafted last year and drawing zero interest after the lockout. Hill forwent his senior season at the University of Florida only to see his draft stock nuked by a disastrous Combine and the discovery of his cartoonishly juvenile Twitter account. Hill routinely tweeted about smoking marijuana, his bathroom habits and sexual exploits. A stiff-hipped character nightmare who largely underachieved in college after being a five-star recruit, it would be a miracle if Hill ever steps foot on an NFL field.

I just started reading up on him. What a fool this guy is, but we love bringing in players with characters issues. Perfect fit?

the fact that the jets are showing interest in hill or deangelo smith or bell or any other retread disaster should tell us all we need to know about their lack of priorities at that position. rex simply doesn't value safeties. he'll want 4 #1 CB before he has 1 #1 FS.

its probably gonna be landry and eric smith. and the defense is gonna be great regardless.

the fact that the jets are showing interest in hill or deangelo smith or bell or any other retread disaster should tell us all we need to know about their lack of priorities at that position. rex simply doesn't value safeties. he'll want 4 #1 CB before he has 1 #1 FS.

its probably gonna be landry and eric smith. and the defense is gonna be great regardless.

Bit you realize that the one guy they actually signed is a former top ten pick (in a top heavy draft) who is amongst the best in the league when he's healthy? By PFF he was a top 15 safety last year and he played half of the regular season.

But yeah...looking but not signing guys like Will Hill, Bell, and whoever else is TOTALLY proof that they believe safeties don't matter.

Rotoworld:

SI.com's Tony Pauline reports free agent S Will Hill is "hoping to make a comeback," and the Jets and Giants are "showing interest."

Hill would be "coming back" from going undrafted last year and drawing zero interest after the lockout. Hill forwent his senior season at the University of Florida only to see his draft stock nuked by a disastrous Combine and the discovery of his cartoonishly juvenile Twitter account. Hill routinely tweeted about smoking marijuana, his bathroom habits and sexual exploits. A stiff-hipped character nightmare who largely underachieved in college after being a five-star recruit, it would be a miracle if Hill ever steps foot on an NFL field.

I just started reading up on him. What a fool this guy is, but we love bringing in players with characters issues. Perfect fit?

No sh*t? Will Hill will make you pull your hair out. Guys got all the talent in the world but is a straight up moron. Seriously. He would make some spectaculars plays and then some do some boneheaded sh*t and get benched the rest of the game.

Bit you realize that the one guy they actually signed is a former top ten pick (in a top heavy draft) who is amongst the best in the league when he's healthy?

does this statement make it more likely they draft Mark Barron or less likely?

put it another way the Jets also traded for Holmes, Edwards and signed Plexico and Mason. What can we conclude from that? a 1st round WR is not how they like to operate. Yes they will spend money on a position like WR or S but they won't necessarily spend a draft pick.

heck the Jets haven't drafted ANY safety since Rex arrived, let alone use a first rounder there.

ive learned this lesson over the years the draft is not about what you or I would do. it's about what 32 decision makers will do, and they aren't all necessarily operating with ideal level of smartness.

Adding up all the posts with different views sorta makes sense as a whole for me as far as Safety. Yeah, I can visualize what they maybe are trying to do, stockpile the need with a bunch of retreads and underachievers, maybe late round picks to boot...hope you catch lightning in a bottle with maybe one and then trade a couple early picks to get Ingram. Not saying I agree or that it's even true nesessesarly. But I think I just had a Martin Luther King-like vision. Or a dream. Or a nightmare. Dunno yet.

That is an interesting take. Never really thought about that. But it is Rex's fault that we can't cover a TE. Unless he can find a linebacker to do it.

It wasn't meant to address that you spin doctor, BUT it does show that your claims that they don't value the safety position are just riiiiiiiidiculous dude.

Signing some guy who played 8 games last year, no matter how good, doesn't mean they've secured the position. They still need another safety and Barron is the best safety available this offseason, PEEEEEEEERIOD. ****in no ifs ands or buts around that, sorry.

put it another way the Jets also traded for Holmes, Edwards and signed Plexico and Mason. What can we conclude from that? a 1st round WR is not how they like to operate. Yes they will spend money on a position like WR or S but they won't necessarily spend a draft pick.

THERE IS NO CONCLUSION TO MAKE! They went for veteran talents at WR because young WRs + young (bad) QB = disaster. Do you think Sanchez throws as many TDs as he did last year without Plaxico's dominance in the red zone? What rookie would bring that? Hell, Holmes supposedly sucked last year (IMO it was mostly frustration) and HE tied a career high in TDs? You think this is because of the passing prowess of Mark Sanchez?

Even then WHY would they be willing to spend money on talent at certain positions but not look to spend LESS MONEY on talent at those positions in the draft if the talent is there for the taking?

You're jumping to conclusions based on imaginary trends man...Sorry, but in due time when they have a QB they'll draft a first round WR if the talent and the need are there. That's how this usually works...It's very, very rare for a team to be dead set one way or another on a position because it's an absolutely ridiculous way to look at the sport. You take talent where the talent is ALWAYS. Supposedly you're not supposed to draft first round Cs...now we've seen a bunch since Mangold, who himself bucked a Jets franchise trend and NFL taboo by going in the first. That stuff doesn't mean anything man, and you've overplayed the hell out of that card this offseason without really thinking it all the way through.

heck the Jets haven't drafted ANY safety since Rex arrived, let alone use a first rounder there....

Still waiting to see your list of super amazing safety talents they've passed up in FA or the draft. I even gave you a start with Kam Chancellor, though with the caveat that the rumor is Carroll and staff might move him to LB this year if they draft...you guessed it....Barron.

Get to me when they actually sign one of those JAGs off the street to a contract that guarantees a roster spot.

Adding up all the posts with different views sorta makes sense as a whole for me as far as Safety. Yeah, I can visualize what they maybe are trying to do, stockpile the need with a bunch of retreads and underachievers, maybe late round picks to boot...hope you catch lightning in a bottle with maybe one and then trade a couple early picks to get Ingram. Not saying I agree or that it's even true nesessesarly. But I think I just had a Martin Luther King-like vision. Or a dream. Or a nightmare. Dunno yet.

Really don't see them moving too far up for Ingram...If he falls out of the top 10 then they'll look to make a move, but otherwise I don't see them selling out this draft for one player.

heck the Jets haven't drafted ANY safety since Rex arrived, let alone use a first rounder there.

ive learned this lesson over the years the draft is not about what you or I would do. it's about what 32 decision makers will do, and they aren't all necessarily operating with ideal level of smartness.

Very good point Bit. I would just like to add that this regime does seem to put a high priority on WR despite not drafting one. They didnt just try to develop a guy like the last regimes did. Also, they seem to like that tall get down the field guy who can win one on one matchups on the outside and currently no one on the roster or in free agency fits that bill.

Rotoworld:

Hill would be "coming back" from going undrafted last year and drawing zero interest after the lockout. Hill forwent his senior season at the University of Florida only to see his draft stock nuked by a disastrous Combine and the discovery of his cartoonishly juvenile Twitter account.
Hill routinely tweeted about smoking marijuana, his bathroom habits and sexual exploits.
A stiff-hipped character nightmare who largely underachieved in college after being a five-star recruit, it would be a miracle if Hill ever steps foot on an NFL field.

Sign him then do Hard Knocks!

Could be true, but right now we only have Landry, Smith and a couple names no one knows signed at safety. So even if they were targeting Barron in the draft, they would still need another safety.

Damn, Gato is b****-slapping Bitonti all over this thread.

Only thing I have to add to the carnage is that I find it hard to believe Rex would undervalue the safety position when he had Ed Reed all those years. The reason I think he's SEEMED to undervalue it here is because the Jets have such good corners. Why invest so much in coverage safeties when Revis and Cro are back there?

Only thing I have to add to the carnage is that I find it hard to believe Rex would undervalue the safety position when he had Ed Reed all those years. The reason I think he's SEEMED to undervalue it here is because the Jets have such good corners. Why invest so much in coverage safeties when Revis and Cro are back there?

It would be very Jets type luck if the one thing Rex Ryan took out of working with and coaching Ed Reed (and playing against Troy Polamalu twice a year) is that safeties aren't important.

The irony in all this is Rex got a HC job partially because of, arguably, the best fs of all time.

Gronkowski and Hernandez, that's why

Archived