The Newsroom...

gangreenman

I thought tonight's episode was the best so far. Overall it's preachy and contrived.

I disagree. The premise of the show is that the news needs to be less about ratings and more about important info. Which is a somewhat valid point (although I don't think anyone is confused about what side of the aisle most of these hosts and journalists are on). Problem is he clearly fails at presenting yesterday's stories without bias. We already saw the news media tear apart the Tea Party and the far right. What is this show bringing that is any different than what we watched on CNN or MSNBC?

I disagree. The premise of the show is that the news needs to be less about ratings and more about important info. Which is a somewhat valid point (although I don't think anyone is confused about what side of the aisle most of these hosts and journalists are on). Problem is he clearly fails at presenting yesterday's stories without bias. We already saw the news media tear apart the Tea Party and the far right. What is this show bringing that is any different than what we watched on CNN or MSNBC?

I think they've made it clear within the show that the host had been holding back his opinions, and part of what he'd be delivering now would be more of how he honestly feels about it. In the premier, he stated that he's voted for candidates from both major parties, so I'm willing to watch and see what targets on the left he goes after.

I think they've made it clear within the show that the host had been holding back his opinions, and part of what he'd be delivering now would be more of how he honestly feels about it. In the premier, he stated that he's voted for candidates from both major parties, so I'm willing to watch and see what targets on the left he goes after.

Exactly! I actually enjoy the show and find it pretty amusing. I love the attacks on the crazy TEA Party.

As per the character....I'm pretty sure he'll have criticisms against the democratic party as well. Just give it time.

He spent a long time trying to please everyone by being nice and never attacking any party in particular.

Im not nearly as optimistic as any of you. Sorkin all but admitted that the only reason he made McAvoy a "liberal conservative" was to make the show seem more objective, and less "political" in its bashing of the right-wingers ("speaking truth to stupid"). It is pretty darn ironic, actually. He created a show to portray that the news should be more about news, and informing the public, and less about appeasing to everyone and gaining ratings. However, its rather clear that he really is just trying to use the show as a means to portray his political ideologies by rehashing yesterdays news...Basically claiming that the media should be less about maintaining objectivity and more about finding the truth to accurately predict the future.

Of course, he has the benefit of hindsight, so he, and everyone else, knows how the story turns out already (the envt challenge of the BP oil spill. the Koch/Tea Party scandal... etc etc.)

That Sorkinisms video is laugh out loud.

by rehashing yesterdays news

The HUGE problem with this is that "yesterday's news" in todays world is 20 minutes ago, and the story is the equivalent to a lady's cat being stuck in the tree. All those yesterday's news stuff you listed are things long forgotten, if anyone really cared in the first place.

I like what the show attacks, but I also ignore politics at all cost (none).

Haven't seen the show but saw the ad. What the main character needs to be is a fiscal conservative and social liberal...which is what 70 of the population is. Fact this view completely contradicts our only two major political parties is why this country is ****ed.

Im not nearly as optimistic as any of you. Sorkin all but admitted that the only reason he made McAvoy a "liberal conservative" was to make the show seem more objective, and less "political" in its bashing of the right-wingers ("speaking truth to stupid"). It is pretty darn ironic, actually. He created a show to portray that the news should be more about news, and informing the public, and less about appeasing to everyone and gaining ratings. However, its rather clear that he really is just trying to use the show as a means to portray his political ideologies by rehashing yesterdays news...Basically claiming that the media should be less about maintaining objectivity and more about finding the truth to accurately predict the future.

Of course, he has the benefit of hindsight, so he, and everyone else, knows how the story turns out already (the envt challenge of the BP oil spill. the Koch/Tea Party scandal... etc etc.)

its on HBO, what did you think it was going to be?

just sit back, relax and realize that not everyone gets their news from the NY Times and Rachel Maddow.

I don't get how Aaron Sorkin gets considered a genius by so many yet Kevin Smith is only a hit with nerds. Both write dialogue in the same context; and by that I mean that nobody in real life ever has conversations that remotely resemble anything they write. Maybe it's because Smith's a fatty and Sorkin wears tweed.

I don't get how Aaron Sorkin gets considered a genius by so many yet Kevin Smith is only a hit with nerds. Both write dialogue in the same context; and by that I mean that nobody in real life ever has conversations that remotely resemble anything they write. Maybe it's because Smith's a fatty and Sorkin wears tweed.

Nobody watches any evening news shows any more.Sorkin might as well make a show about milkmen, beeper salesmen or a shoeshine stand.

Who is?

Didn't catch last nights episode. Anyone know of any site to watch it on?

McAvoy admitted yesterday he's a registered Republican.

First of all I’m a registered Republican, I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure instead of gay marriage… — Will McAvoy (Jeff Daniels), “The Newsroom”

McAvoy admitted yesterday he's a registered Republican.

First of all I’m a registered Republican, I only seem liberal because I believe hurricanes are caused by high barometric pressure instead of gay marriage… — Will McAvoy (Jeff Daniels), “The Newsroom”

LOL. Right, a "registered republican" who hates everything about the republican party, is a staunch supporter of liberalism and Obama policy, all while claiming to be on a crusade to find the truth while "speaking truth to stupid". How convenient.

LOL. Right, a "registered republican" who hates everything about the republican party, is a staunch supporter of liberalism and Obama policy, all while claiming to be on a crusade to find the truth while "speaking truth to stupid". How convenient.

I missed this week's episode. Has any of the information ie. Coch brothers been factually incorrect?

I missed this week's episode. Has any of the information ie. Coch brothers been factually incorrect?

No. But he is using the benefit of hindsight (given that we know what happened already) to nitpick which stories to focus on. The show is also incredibly opinionated, with no real credible counter-argument being presented. There is no intellectual debate whatsoever. He takes the liberal perspective, and makes everyone who disagrees with that perspective incredibly dumbfounded and stupid whenever he presses them. Its a joke.

No. But he is using the benefit of hindsight (given that we know what happened already) to nitpick which stories to focus on. The show is also incredibly opinionated, with no real credible counter-argument being presented. There is no intellectual debate whatsoever. He takes the liberal perspective, and makes everyone who disagrees with that perspective incredibly dumbfounded and stupid whenever he presses them. Its a joke.

It's a fictional show on HBO, if no one watches it will be canceled. Daniels is good and his character comes off as a ego maniac. Only 4 episodes in, right?

Archived