2016 WS Champions/Cubs Thread

SenorGato

27 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

So the one question I had about Willson Contreras was his defense as a catcher - particularly framing. Both BP and Statcorner have him as a positive value framer, a skill that tends to stabilize quickly statistically. Yay

----

:http://2080baseball.com/2016/09/ohtani- ... ll-listen/

In fact, the Cubs could be the best fit for Ohtani to do both, and much of that has to do with manager Joe Maddon, and his ability to manage just about any scenario. The clubhouse culture that team president Theo Epstein and Maddon have created is a great fit for almost any player, plus Ohtani would come in surrounded by a lot of other young, high-end talent and not bear the weight of being the face of the franchise. On top of that, both Epstein and Maddon have experience with Asian players making the transition to the U.S.— with Maddon getting the absolute best out of second baseman Aki Iwamura during his years in Tampa, and Epstein maneuvering his way through the up and downs of Matsuzaka’s tenure in Boston from 2007-12. Yes, that would mean Ohtani won’t be taking advantage of the DH option in the A.L., but if anyone can figure out how to keep him productive on the mound, at the dish, and in the field it’s Joe Maddon.

I was shocked to learn that the Cubs had given up as many SB's as the Mets this year. That is hard to do.

5 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Luckily that's another number with little to no significance or predictive value. 

Hm, maybe your negative view of baseball stats are because you value and look at low value stats?

I did not put any stock in the stat, other than to register surprise. The Mets pitchers (Syndergaard particularly) has been horrible at holding runners on. He has not given his catchers a chance. D'Arnaud is a head case.

Again, all I did was register surprise.

41 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I did not put any stock in the stat, other than to register surprise. The Mets pitchers (Syndergaard particularly) has been horrible at holding runners on. He has not given his catchers a chance. D'Arnaud is a head case.

Again, all I did was register surprise.

Yeah, but who cares? It's just not an important or telling number.

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 2:31 PM, SenorGato said:

I'm sure you do chuckle, would not surprise me, but I've been on point on pretty much everything I've said this year and last. Fact is, I know what I'm talking about and it shows.

hahaha....You've had your fair share of misses along with your on point moments. Just go back and look at your posts and you will see your misses. Get over yourself. Seriously.

19 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

hahaha....You've had your fair share of misses along with your on point moments. Just go back and look at your posts and you will see your misses. Get over yourself. Seriously.

It really, really, really seems you and the other Mets fans trolls need to get over me more than I need to get over me. I'm all you continue to talk about in this thread, again going on some 12+ pages, and then you have a habit of following my posts in the rest of the baseball forum. I get it for sure, my ass would be sore if it kept getting handed to me over and over for some 5-6 months too. Still, it's just sad that possibly adult males can be such pathetically sore losers on the internet that they opt for basically half a calendar year+ of trolling.

21 hours ago, NJ said:

That's gunna happen Catman.

Like the guy - but he's a goner.

Right? He seems like such a good dude, but I'm glad Hendricks has emerged and basically forced him out of the playoff rotation. I won't mind them picking up the 2017 option, but hopefully there's a big trade for a young SP that allows the FO to shop him this offseason or in-season.

Fun facts: 

- Cubs non-pitcher hitters in the second half have a 19.4% K rate. 

- Kris Bryant in the second half has hit .308/.395/.546 with a 21.4% K rate.

These two alone continue to build up my excitement for 2017 and 2018. This team's just on what the kids call "some other sh*t." On top of that:

- GG caliber 22 YO SS Addison Russell put up a .205 IsoSLG and 19.4% K rate in the second half (247 PAs) and a .182 IsoSLG on the season. 

7 hours ago, SenorGato said:

The good thing is at least "there's always next year" is a legit thing now. Keep fielding far and away the best teams in baseball and the rings will come.

Never assume anything in baseball. Some teams fall just short of a ring and never make good on the dynasty that they envisioned.

"There's always next year" is a nice built in crutch or hedging your bets type excuse for post season failures and nothing more. It's a losers mentality so yeah...kinda, sorta appropriate.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

Never assume anything in baseball. Some teams fall just short of a ring and never make good on the dynasty that they envisioned.

"There's always next year" is a nice built in crutch or hedging your bets type excuse for post season failures and nothing more. It's a losers mentality so yeah...kinda, sorta appropriate.

WFBKvs.gif

Lol Some jerkoff on the internet who has spent literally half of his year trolling a message board thread because he got his ass handed to him can't be taken seriously when calling anyone or thing a loser. Just the irony of a numbnutted troll like yourself rambling on about a loser mentality is good for a kneeslap. 

Jimenez was ranked #2 in the NWL with these comments:

2. Eloy Jimenez, of, South Bend (Cubs)

Age: 19. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-4. Wt.: 205. Signed: Dominican Republic, 2013.

The Cubs invested $2.8 million to sign Jimenez out of the Dominican Republic in 2013, and he took a huge step forward this season in his first crack at full-season ball. He starred in both the MWL all-star game and Futures Game, hitting a home run in both, and took home MVP honors after leading the MWL with 40 doubles and a .532 slugging percentage. He ranked second with 81 RBIs and third with a .329 average.

Jimenez has plus raw power, with the ability to hit the ball out to any part of the park. His hit tool grades as above-average. He can be overly aggressive but has a solid two-strike approach. He has shown the aptitude to adjust to pitches on the outer half as well as offspeed pitches, though his pitch recognition will need to improve.

Jimenez is an average runner and average defender in left field who has gotten better jumps on balls this year. He could improve his average arm with better lower-half mechanics. He engages with teammates and the media and has rapidly improved his English skills.

Drew 60 (New York): Just How far away was Eloy Jimenez from being the number 1 prospect? Thanks
Vincent Lara-Cinisomo: An inch? Haha. He was No. 1 in the first iteration, but Senzel has more certainty, less volatility. That said, in terms of ultimate impact, there is plenty of room for Eloy to be the GUY

Other comments in the league chat:

- Donnie Dewees got a very lofty Damon comp. I don't buy it, think more Reed Johnson

- Ryan Kellogg did not make list and does not throw hard, but is liked. He's my personal favorite pitcher in the system, currently the one guy I think might start in the big leagues by 2019.

- Carson Sands, who mostly struggled this year, was said to have three average pitches. 

- 40 man candidate Paulino was called a reliever candidate due to command issues. I believe it and call him a potential LH Strop

7 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Jimenez was ranked #2 in the NWL with these comments:

Maybe he can be the table setter we're bound to lose sooner of later in Fowler and a hedge for Heyward in right if his bat doesn't come back.

Potential 2018 - Schwarber LF  - Almora CF - Jimenez RF

4 minutes ago, NJ said:

Maybe he can be the table setter we're bound to lose sooner of later in Fowler and a hedge for Heyward in right if his bat doesn't come back.

Potential 2018 - Schwarber LF  - Almora CF - Jimenez RF

Leadoff hitter he is not, he's more like what Soler was as a prospect.

I'm not much of an Almora fan, not enough of a hitter and don't value a rangy, glove first CF enough in Wrigley.

4 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

I'm not much of an Almora fan either, not enough of a hitter. 

His bat need only be better than Heyward's was this year and that's not a lot of hitting.

His D will firm up CF and he can cheat a bit into left on occasion to cover a little turf for Schwarber.

I too would love to see him on base more.

1 hour ago, NJ said:

His bat need only be better than Heyward's was this year and that's not a lot of hitting.

Oh, for sure he can be a useful player in the league. I just don't think he has the level of skill offensively that the Cubs require. The Cubs were unfortunate to get Heyward's worst season, but a wow season from Almora would be an otherwise typical Heyward season at the plate. Throw in Wrigley as the smallest CF in baseball and it's hard to imagine him being a key player or starter for the Cubs.

Also, now seems like a good time to do a quick Cubs update. They have the most deserving candidate at first base. They have the runner-up at second, the runner-up at short, the third-place finisher at third, the most deserving candidate at right, and, if Miguel Montero had caught just a few more innings, they would’ve had the third-place finisher at catcher, too. Yep. Cubs defense: still good.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-2016-national-league-gold-gloves-by-the-numbers/

The ages of that group - 27, six thousand, 22, 24, 27, and a million. 

4 hours ago, The Troll said:

I have a bad, bad feeling about this series. I know the Cubs are the far superior team, but the playoffs are weird. And no team is weirder in the playoffs than the Giants.

No jinx - no billy goat - no none of that BS this year. 

Only the reality. We have 5 guys (kids) in that line up don't have a full year in the bigs under their belts.

Throw in a pitcher and that's 6 out of nine AB's that don't have as much of the seasoning or plate savvy (as they will have) to hold back and not bite on wicked pitching like we saw from Bum last night.

That said - we have some first rate SP of our own and the ability to score some runs. Throw in what is now a pretty good pen and I like our chances for a ring better than anyone's. 

The Giants started some guy named Hernandez in CF and some other guy named Tomlinson at some other spot. I couldn't tell you their full names. If you put a gun to my head I would cry and guess Larry and Jim as the first names. The point is, that team has no right beating the Cubs and likely won't. One game down, ten more to go

- So far I love that Baez has been the starting 2B. My favorite alignment is Baez at 2B and Zobrist in LF, the combo of defense, power, and youth in the infield is amazing and worthy of the postseason spotlight.

- Bryant's swing on that double last night was one of best he's had in weeks. I'd love for him to go nuts during these playoffs.

Heyward's been swinging well too.

----

“The worst thing about Travis Wood,” Cubs catcher David Ross said, “is I’m gonna have to listen to his crap the whole way to San Francisco. He’s gonna get a couple cocktails in him, and then he’s gonna get diarrhea of the mouth. He swears he’s such a good hitter, so I’ve been all over him about stop swinging at the first pitch, and he swings at that first pitch and takes it deep. He’s gonna give it to me. He already did on the bench. I said, ‘Travis, get away from me. I’m trying to focus the game, and I can’t listen to your crap right now.’ ”

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-cubs-did-something-that-hasnt-been-done-in-92-years-and-nobody-wanted-to-talk-about-it-063524316.html

• Upvote 1