2016 WS Champions/Cubs Thread

SenorGato

So ESPN is pushing the "they move these guys around too much" narrative now too? Of all the manufactured storylines this year so far and probably after, this one is the most tedious. The Cubs did this last year when they won 97 and did it a whole lot when they opened with a potentially record setting pace this year. Ask to name a specific player this negatively effects and nothing happens.

Lefty reliever Montgomery and a throw in (Pries) for Vogelbach and Blackburn.

I can see the Cubs thought process on the deal in that Vogelbach was obviously blocked at the Major League level. Montgomery is a nice lefty addition to the pen.

Rotoworld:

Mariners acquired 1B Dan Vogelbach and RHP Paul Blackburn from the Cubs in exchange for LHP Mike Montgomery and RHP Jordan Pries.
Vogelbach was destroying the ball at Triple-A Iowa before the Cubs bid him farewell, slashing a robust .318/.425/.548 with 16 homers and 64 RBI over 305 at-bats. Given those healthy numbers, it isn't inconceivable that he could see a legitimate opportunity with the Mariners before the season's close. The 23-year-old first base prospect is a nice pickup for Seattle, and this deal sets a high price for the other relievers available on the August 1 trade market.

The more I see Rizzo with a competitive club the more I admire the player and makeup. He's everything the Cubs never had a reputation for with his extremely competitive and confident nature. Bryant's got that weird but extremely talented homeschooled kid vibe, while Rizzo is the franchise's bruiser and defacto on field leader.

----

Montgomery's a great gamble at that price. Keep in mind that this is the same FO that helped Andrew Miller rebuild his delivery and career within maybe a year and a half or so. Generally speaking, at the same age Miller and Montgomery have tons in common:

- Giant

- Healthy

- LHPs

- Power armed (Montgomery averages 95 on the FB this year)

- Tons of groundballs

- Former top SP prospects

- Both can spin a good breaking ball or offspeed

- Stiff deliveries

I love this trade as it hints at this deadline being just as much about the long term as it is this year. Montgomery can workout his kinks as this team cruises to the playoffs this second half. If it doesn't work the cost was just Vogelbach and Blackburn.

Meh, I'm not even a little bit worried about Heyward. He's 27 next year with an extensive track record, I'm down to call this his Cano '08.

Hoyer with some enocuraging words on pitching at the deadline:

https://soundcloud.com/mlbnetworkradio/jed-hoyer-discusses-the-cubs-interest-in-pitching-at-the-trade-deadline?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=twitter

Always room for elite pitching....pitching gets more impactful in October....says to expect the unexpected at the deadline here and that there really are no untouchables (although realistically, there's a handful):

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-cubs/cubs-gm-jed-hoyer-expect-unexpected-trade-deadline

Addison Russell is really shaping into the stud his minor league numbers suggested he can be. Before the season I called him Infield Heyward and said he could match Heyward's .268/.353/.431 career line coming into 2016 this year. Right now he is at .250/.338/.418.

Since May 1: .260/.337/.439

This July he is hitting .308/.343/.538 with an 18.6% K rate.

Edit: Actually, IIRC it was the Atlanta version of Heyward (.262/.351/.429 with ~18 HRs)....Which is pretty much right on target.

Nice to see Joe Nathan pick up the W in his first game back. Pulled off a Houdini act as well in striking out the heart of the Brew Crew's order after starting the inning off by allowing a triple and a walk.

Heyward down to .228 with an ever so slightly higher OBP than Slugging Pct if you can imagine that.  He's either due to go off soon and correct his stats to his normal middling to slightly above average offensive numbers or a lost cause offensive for at least this season. I think he'll find a hot streak somewhere down the stretch. The rest of the offense can make up for him as his defense is still top notch. 

This guy's still here? Weren't you done with this thread like a week ago? The only people Heyward's season is a story to are - well sh*t, people like this guy who need a story. It's frustrating yadda yadda, but he'll be all of 27 next year still with a career 4.3 fWAR/ year over a 7 year career. We good over here, basically, just sometimes sh*t happens. This is the best team in baseball right now without this guy being his usual self offensively, which only makes me more excited for 2017 and 2018.

-----

I'm very interested in what happens if this Chapman thing gets done. Prior to his offseason incident, I thought Chapman to the Cubs was inevitable. Afterwards much much less sure but we're talking a historical outlier as an on field talent - in the good way - so could not 100% eliminate him. It will be more interesting to hear what the FO has to say. I won't love a deal without an extension.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Source: Yankees agree to trade Aroldis Chapman to Cubs

The New York Yankees have agreed to a blockbuster trade that will send star closer Aroldis Chapman to the Chicago Cubs, as first reported Monday by FanRag Sports and confirmed by ESPN's Jayson Stark.

Chicago will send a four-player package to New York that includes top shortstop prospect Gleyber Torres, according to reports. The Yankees also will receive pitcher Adam Warren, minor league outfielder Billy McKinney and an unidentified fourth player, according to FanRag Sports and Stark.

As first reported by FanRag Sports, Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner has approved the deal. Speculation circulated Monday that one reason why the teams have not announced the trade is because the Cubs are attempting to sign Chapman, a free agent after this season, to a long-term deal.

Being a lifelong Cub fan - with all the associated heartbreak and disappointment - I personally don't give a white rat's ass about the Cubs ever holding a "wins in a season" record.

Further, as baseball fans predominate this forum, I trust I don't need to state the only important season statistic. 

Chapman coming to the Cubs for nothing we need now or in the immediate future, has me feeling better than ever about achieving that stat.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, NJ said:

Being a lifelong Cub fan - with all the associated heartbreak and disappointment - I personally don't give a white rat's ass about the Cubs ever holding a "wins in a season" record.

Further, as baseball fans predominate this forum, I trust I don't need to state the only important season statistic. 

Chapman coming to the Cubs for nothing we need now or in the immediate future, has me feeling better than ever about achieving that stat.

Absolutely understand that, and figured you would say that. There are others here, though, that it seems pretty important to :) 

For Cub fans like you, I wish the best for this season, as long as it does not interfere with my Mets contention. 

I know for a fact that it is a great feeling to see all the plans come together for a run. Especially with all that many Cub fans have to endure.

8 minutes ago, NJ said:

Agree.  All pieces (including sending Warren back which basically means Castro is in the deal) were expendable to the current MLB roster and for the foreseeable future. Theo obviously feels this years group has a great shot at the WS thus going for a rental.  I thought the pen would be fine w/out Chapman but can't fault his decision for wanting to make it light's out.

1 hour ago, faba said:

Source: Yankees agree to trade Aroldis Chapman to Cubs

The New York Yankees have agreed to a blockbuster trade that will send star closer Aroldis Chapman to the Chicago Cubs, as first reported Monday by FanRag Sports and confirmed by ESPN's Jayson Stark.

Chicago will send a four-player package to New York that includes top shortstop prospect Gleyber Torres, according to reports. The Yankees also will receive pitcher Adam Warren, minor league outfielder Billy McKinney and an unidentified fourth player, according to FanRag Sports and Stark.

As first reported by FanRag Sports, Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner has approved the deal. Speculation circulated Monday that one reason why the teams have not announced the trade is because the Cubs are attempting to sign Chapman, a free agent after this season, to a long-term deal.

You bastards .I got Rondon on my fantasy team . Now , he's worth crap !!!

33 minutes ago, NJ said:

This pleases the local Mets trolls, casual fans that they are, but with the level of joke this franchise has been I want it all for the Cubs. Rings, regular season records, post season records....This franchise is set up to own for a long time anyway, despite Scotty D's troll this does not hinge on Gleyber Torres and Adam Warren, but I don't know how it's possible to discount dominating a 162 game scheudle, treating it like a non-accomplishment.

1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

This pleases the local Mets trolls, casual fans that they are, but with the level of joke this franchise has been I want it all for the Cubs. Rings, regular season records, post season records....This franchise is set up to own for a long time anyway, but I don't know how it's possible discount dominating a 162 game scheudle, treating it like a non-accomplishment.

Small word to the wise, accomplish something first, then brag about it.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Small word to the wise, accomplish something first, then brag about it.

Who's bragging about what? Aren't you part of a fanbase on this forum that considers beating the Cubs the shining moments of their past two seasons? Scotttaaaaaaay

**** yeah, once/if an extension is done I'll go from liking this to loving it.

There has to be an extension or this could end up like that time we trade raped Billy Beane and got Addison Russell for a two month rental. Which would kinda be ironic since McKinney goes to the Yankees in this deal.

But if this brings a World Series, I do not give a sh*t if Torres is the next Jeter and Aroldis signs with the Cardinals.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Who's bragging about what? Aren't you part of a fanbase on this forum that considers beating the Cubs the shining moments of their past two seasons? Scotttaaaaaaay

Uh, we advanced to the World Series.  So yeah, a pennant is a shining moment. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Uh, we advanced to the World Series.  So yeah, a pennant is a shining moment. 

Wouldn't know it from the 10 pages of Mets trolls in this thread. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7 minutes ago, The Troll said:

There has to be an extension or this could end up like that time we trade raped Billy Beane and got Addison Russell for a two month rental. Which would kinda be ironic since McKinney goes to the Yankees in this deal.

But if this brings a World Series, I do not give a sh*t if Torres is the next Jeter and Aroldis signs with the Cardinals.

Eh, I don't think Torres is as good as Russell at this stage, though he is a damn fine prospect in his own right. I Agree with the last sentence but would definitely prefer getting an extension done just becsuse of his level of talent and relative youth. He's IMO the best FA available this year and now won't cost a draft pick.

13 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Wouldn't know it from the 10 pages of Mets trolls in this thread. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You have an excessive obsession with trolls that don't exist.  I've had No Penis on ignore for months, and the rest (Scott, Gimmeshelter, etc), are not "trolls".  We have no problem with any other Cubs fan on this forum but you.  That's not "trolling".  It's reality.  You're not a fun person to chat with about sports, unlike the rest of the Cubs/Mets fans on here (besides No Penis).  It is what it is.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You have an excessive obsession with trolls that don't exist.  

Actually, I have a normal amount of annoyance of trolls that do exist. The number of people trolls are trolling is not a factor into whether they are trolls or not. Both of these trolls claimed to be done with this thread multiple times.

2 hours ago, NJ said:

I'm cool with the trade. Chicago was going to have the best record anyways, and we don't play the Cubs anymore, so this probably helps notch a few more L's against teams that we may be competing with for the Wild Card. Can worry about how this fares for a playoff matchup later, the Mets have to get there first and that's not a sure thing at all right now and some more losses for Pittsburgh and St Louis (and the series you have against Miami) would sure be a big help.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You have an excessive obsession with trolls that don't exist.  I've had No Penis on ignore for months, and the rest (Scott, Gimmeshelter, etc), are not "trolls".  We have no problem with any other Cubs fan on this forum but you.  That's not "trolling".  It's reality.  You're not a fun person to chat with about sports, unlike the rest of the Cubs/Mets fans on here (besides No Penis).  It is what it is.

Paranoia runs deep for those that express thoughts for which they have no substance. Invisible trolls pop out like mushrooms for them

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

25 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Paranoia runs deep for those that express thoughts for which they have no substance. Invisible trolls pop out like mushrooms for them

A regular Keats, this troll

The irony in the bold THO, particularly since this guy is supposedly a baseball fan in 2016 who thinks baseball stats and prospects are a mix of magic and voodoo. I'm just saying it is a fact that roughly 1/3 of this thread, all of it in 2016, are Mets fans out for a troll. At least Pwhatever is straight up and honest about it, that's tolerable, these other guys are the equivalent of paper pusher trolls that know the system well enough to get away with trolling. It is what it is at this point, people support their Alex Smithness as posters and allow them to thrive, I'm not changing that, but I'm not not going to call a troll a troll.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1