2016 WS Champions/Cubs Thread

SenorGato

23 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Hey man, he spent an inordinate amount of time being incapable of delivering pizzas and memorizing quotes from 1984 before landing this gig. Respek the hustle.

I respect that your dedication to being alpha dawg on a forum stretches to where you can casually recall 2007 posts like it was yesterday. That kind of memory reminds me of like an Ultron or maybe Brainiac. Which Brainiac THO!?!?!!

GD do I love getting to see both Kershaw and Chapman pitch on the same night in the same game. Two historically signficiant pitchers...Chapman's such an under the radar refined pitcher too - three pitches, great mechanics, better fastball command than 100+ should have. I don't even think he's put it together yet this postseason, in fact he's probably been way more off than on, but I'm not worried just yet.

Only issue I have with losing one of these first two games is that the order sucks. Two days of nonsense headlines about how the Cubs should totally definitely be worried is going to be every bit as tedious as this thread has been since May. They're still a waaaaaaaay better team, and losing to Clayton Kershaw in a one run game is not really a thing. 3 hits and one run from the pitching staff is going to be a Cubs win in a non-Kershaw start.

Verducci calling Jansen "Kelly" in the post game is some bullsh*t. White people, amirite?!?!?

16 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Tell me about it. One prod about dumb dumbs claimed ML draft expertise because he has seen HS baseball recently and I have to tolerate three of you softees trying your darndest. It's tedious but the baseball team I like being way better than the baseball team you like is srs bidness. 

8 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Sadly, you are always wrong. You just don't have the instincts to realize it. And when people call you on your bs, you claim "victim" and the insults start to hurl.

Mostly, a sad individual, who I am guessing did not get enough attention at a young age.

I am getting really close to banning both of you. Enough with this childish crap. Grow up both of you. Put each other on ignore.

I am tired of the TWO OF YOU ruining threads.

Don't PM me to explain. I am serious, don't PM me telling me your side. You guys annoy each other. Use ignore this way you both can stop annoying us.

• Upvote 1

Smoltz has become a top analyst imo. I hated him when he played and that carried over into his broadcasting. He seemed tight and humorless.

But he's become excellent. He's seems to have relaxed and just become himself. I like him now.

Pete Rose in the studio is funny. What whack job he is. Still kinda hate him anyway, lol

On 10/16/2016 at 9:42 PM, SenorGato said:

GD do I love getting to see both Kershaw and Chapman pitch on the same night in the same game. Two historically signficiant pitchers...Chapman's such an under the radar refined pitcher too - three pitches, great mechanics, better fastball command than 100+ should have. I don't even think he's put it together yet this postseason, in fact he's probably been way more off than on, but I'm not worried just yet.

He should be the best.  Even when they were both on the Yanks, Miller is better.

I like Chapman when he's pitched a bit, and is maybe a little tired.  Because, then he pitches, not just throws hard.  And when you throw 100, and mix in a slide, and change speeds a little bit, you are virtually un hittable.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, chirorob said:

He should be the best.  Even when they were both on the Yanks, Miller is better.

I like Chapman when he's pitched a bit, and is maybe a little tired.  Because, then he pitches, not just throws hard.  And when you throw 100, and mix in a slide, and change speeds a little bit, you are virtually un hittable.

He's a big part of Fastball on Netflix. It's pretty fascinating. When a guy is throwing that fast the brain can't process it fast enough and you are essentially swinging at a golf ball. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

He's a big part of Fastball on Netflix. It's pretty fascinating. When a guy is throwing that fast the brain can't process it fast enough and you are essentially swinging at a golf ball. 

That was a great, great movie/documentary.   Every baseball fan should watch it.

8 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

While he was safe, he should have been out by a mile. Lazy attempt and throw by Heyward there.

That's one narrative and the one I'd expect the many butthurt out there to run with, but the call's the call and bitches can be mad forever and ever. Cubs going heel is awesome for baseball. 

5 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Would have swung the game for sure. 

Clairvoyant too?!?!? Is there anything you don't imagine you know for sure? The Cubs scored 10. 10 is still a larger number than 3.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, chirorob said:

Miller's been better during his peak, but Chapman's been doing it for 7 years now vs a couple for Miller. I believe Chapman has the pitch mix and, at this point in his career, the smarts to be a starter but my guess is that no one will take the dive. A DV incident is a way to cause hesitation. I'd loooove for the Cubs to lock him up and convert him into a starter. 150-180 inning of Chapman...:drool:

15 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

IT IS NOT PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE FOR A BASEBALL TO DO THAT OH MY GOD

I did it with a wiffle ball.   Like a boss, sidearm, either a huge sinker or a huge riser.  Of course, my elbow still hurts from hundreds of innings of fast pitch wiffle ball.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

I want Terry Collins to get Mgr of the year.

But if you count the post season I think Dave Roberts deserves it.

I doubt TC will get it tho and hope Roberts gets it otherwise. He's a damn good Mgr

I think Roberts should get it too. That team was dead in the water when Kershaw went down and they just kept finding ways to win.

I watched Baez when he first came up and even earlier this year and you could see the obvious athleticism. But he seemed to me to not be an intelligent player. But I think it was about maturity and cockiness.

The kid is a stud tho and brings Roberto Alomar to mind as possibly being that good.

Francisco Lindor reminds me of Jose Reyes physically, and with the energy, exuberance, and smile. But I think he's more mature and probably a more intelligent player and leader, maybe not quite as physically gifted.

I hope the Mets' Amed Rosario can come close to these two guys as part of the best young infielders in the MLB. Rosario has physically matured astonishingly over the last year.

He was a scrawny kid when he was first signed, and has blossomed into a grown man over the recent months. He's bigger than the guys mentioned and the ceiling of his potential is as high.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NJ said:

5 to go

Great response by the Cubbies in these last two games.  They had been front runners all year, and I was really interested in seeing how they would respond after falling behind for the first time all season.  You really needed those two against Urias and Maeda.  One year ago today it was our time -- maybe tomorrow night is yours.  Good luck.

• Upvote 1