2016 WS Champions/Cubs Thread

SenorGato

21 hours ago, SenorGato said:

BTW: Kyle Schwarber blew out his knee, came back in 6 months, and was arguably the best team in the league's best hitter in his first game back, a WS game, against a CY caliber arm having a monster game. 

I butchered this post but right now Schwarber has been the best hitter on the team this series along with Zobrist. Say he won't play LF tmrrw! 

38 minutes ago, SMC said:

As expected Schwarber has not been cleared to play the field.  Even if cleared, I'd think it was too much of a risk.

Even in the World Series you still have to look out for the future of a young player as talented as Schwarber is.  And it's not like he won't be useful in some capacity.  A lefty like him coming off the bench in a big spot could be a deciding factor in any of these 3 games at Wrigley.  

Oh, I forgot to mention how excellent Mike Montgomery looked last night. He'll finally knock Wood off the roster next year, and probably see his share of starts in 2017 while auditioning for a full time 2018 spot with Hammel and Lackey clearing out. His cutter and curve were on point and in general a healthy armed lefty averaging 93 with the four seam is always nice to have.

----

I saw in a tweet that LHP prospect Ryan Kellogg, probably my favorite pitcher on the farm right now, is working with Driveline Baseball. I have pretty high hopes for Kellogg next year as pitching prospects go, and something like that keeps my optimism high. Driveline's well regarded across the board, picky about their clientelle, and an org like the Cubs having a guy work with them can only be a positive. Hopefully it works out and Kellogg sees the small boost in velocity I think he can make as a pro (89-92 t94 rather than 87-91 t92/93) to go with the size, command, durability, health, control, and possible GB/batted ball tendencies to be a quality SP.

So the story going on in Cleveland is why in the hell that stadium sounded like Wrigley East last night. Turns out the reason that Indians resales were going for so high is because people knew Cubs fans could afford them and would travel. I was shocked at how much more tickets were going for this year than last year both in NY and KC. Turns out people on the Northside have money. Who woulda thought? 

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Even in the World Series you still have to look out for the future of a young player as talented as Schwarber is.  And it's not like he won't be useful in some capacity.  A lefty like him coming off the bench in a big spot could be a deciding factor in any of these 3 games at Wrigley.  

I hope they pinch hit him and Miller beans him right in that belly. Pillsbury mother ****er. 

10 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

So the story going on in Cleveland is why in the hell that stadium sounded like Wrigley East last night. Turns out the reason that Indians resales were going for so high is because people knew Cubs fans could afford them and would travel. I was shocked at how much more tickets were going for this year than last year both in NY and KC. Turns out people on the Northside have money. Who woulda thought? 

that was so confusing, I was falling asleep and popped my head up every time I heard a loud cheer, fearing a tribe comeback, and tried to make sense of things in my weary state, lol

6 minutes ago, Larz said:

that was so confusing, I was falling asleep and popped my head up every time I heard a loud cheer, fearing a tribe comeback, and tried to make sense of things in my weary state, lol

It was cheaper to fly out there, get a room or AirBNB, and get a seat for either game than it is to get a standing room ticket for game 3 tomorrow night.

38 minutes ago, Larz said:

what is the going rate, $3,000 ?

It's $2k minimum to get your butt in a seat. $3k will probably get you into the lower decks by the time it gets closer to game time tomorrow night. Have to remember there are always price drops as it gets closer to the game. The thing is this time there is so much demand for the tickets that I don't know if the fluctuation will be that great.

It's incredible to me that people are willing to shell out this much for the standing room tickets or even for some of the rooftops, because for the latter you can barely see the field anymore from the majority of them ever since they did the renovations. You're shelling out thousands to just be inside the buildings and get drunk without seeing the game. You might as well save the dough and just go to one of the bars in Wrigleyville right by the stadium.

10 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

It's $2k minimum to get your butt in a seat. $3k will probably get you into the lower decks by the time it gets closer to game time tomorrow night. Have to remember there are always price drops as it gets closer to the game. The thing is this time there is so much demand for the tickets that I don't know if the fluctuation will be that great.

It's incredible to me that people are willing to shell out this much for the standing room tickets or even for some of the rooftops, because for the latter you can barely see the field anymore from the majority of them ever since they did the renovations. You're shelling out thousands to just be inside the buildings and get drunk without seeing the game. You might as well save the dough and just go to one of the bars in Wrigleyville right by the stadium.

For 70 years old cubs fans it's time to sell the Lincoln and see a world series game!

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

They said prices came down and for 1700 you were in a decent seat (if you bought today).

19 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I hope they pinch hit him and Miller beans him right in that belly. Pillsbury mother ****er. 

Let's take a moment to appreciate hypothetical phony sanctimony and tears from the local yokels that would be rained down this forum if this were a post about a Mets player. 

1 hour ago, Larz said:

how uptight are cubs fans right now ?

so tight that if you stuck a lump of coal up their asses, in two weeks you'd have a diamond.

Wrong again genius - knowledgeable Cub fans know that we're looking at many years of strong contending teams and aren't bent out of shape if this year's young squad doesn't win it all.

40 minutes ago, NJ said:

Wrong again genius - knowledgeable Cub fans know that we're looking at many years of strong contending teams and aren't bent out of shape if this year's young squad doesn't win it all.

that was a ferris bueller quote genius and the cubs choked hard. they took strikes and swung at balls. madden waited too long to send the pinch runner in the 9th. bryant swung at a ball to in the dirt to end the 8th

you have two massive holes in your lineup, fowler and russel, they are useless.

total choke job

tribe in 5

1 hour ago, NJ said:

Winning championships are hard.  The Cubs are only 3 wins away from winning their first tile in 108 years.  There's no guarantee that this Cubs team, even with this young talent, will get back to this point again.

Live for today

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 0:19 AM, SenorGato said:

Did anyone actually think Cleveland had a shot because they pulled out a win? 

Cleveland did.  Obviously.

Was happy to see Heyward not make the last out. The guy needs a big hit somewhere in this series to save his season. I thought he'd be platooned come post season but seeing him outright benched is tough to watch.

Indians need game 4 w/Kluber on the mound  otherwise Cubs likely win this in six. 

6 minutes ago, GimmeShelter said:

Cleveland did.  Obviously.

Was happy to see Heyward not make the last out. The guy needs a big hit somewhere in this series to save his season. I thought he'd be platooned come post season but seeing him outright benched is tough to watch.

Indians need game 4 w/Kluber on the mound  otherwise Cubs likely win this in six. 

I dunno about that. They get him back for game 7 too and at the very least this is going back to Cleveland for 6. What's becoming apparent is that this isn't as lop sided a series as people predicted, Kluber isn't their only gamer, and Cleveland's BP pitchers have colossal sized balls. I can't imagine a higher pressure situation than what Allen just pitched in and holy **** did he come through.

47 minutes ago, Larz said:

that was a ferris bueller quote genius and the cubs choked hard. they took strikes and swung at balls. madden waited too long to send the pinch runner in the 9th. bryant swung at a ball to in the dirt to end the 8th

you have two massive holes in your lineup, fowler and russel, they are useless.

total choke job

tribe in 5

So inexperience is choking? Russell and Fowler useless ... uh .... ok ... yeah .. youre right.

32 minutes ago, SMC said:

Winning championships are hard.  The Cubs are only 3 wins away from winning their first tile in 108 years.  There's no guarantee that this Cubs team, even with this young talent, will get back to this point again.

Live for today

nope  - no guarantees.

I'm ok with that and agree wholeheartedly that it's tough to grind out a season and work through injuries and slumps to get to October Baseball  - I've allocated about 1.5% of my "things to worry about" compartment in preparation.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Larz said:

how uptight are cubs fans right now ?

so tight that if you stuck a lump of coal up their asses, in two weeks you'd have a diamond.

Meh, this is still the [much] better team, needs to lose two more for any of these losses to matter, and Cleveland's pitching staff is running on fumes the rest of the series. You've got Kluber with a career high workload throwing on 3 days rest, then Jah knows what. This site got souped last week when the Dodgers totally definitely had the Cubs on the ropes last week. Notice we only hear from certain posters when the Cubs lose, and even then they're hedging because facts are facts and the Cubs are that good.

I'm happy the series is extended because Game 3 was the game I could not watch all the way through. I watched 3 innings before I had to cave and sleep. 

I still think the whole "no garauntees" is a bit corny and cliche btw. This team was already head and shoulders above everyone else without anything like luck, with injuries and down years from significant talents, and no one even close to a career season except Fowler. It's going to take monumental sh*t to take this franchise down, and two WS losses out of 4 still aren't it. I'll be shocked if they lose this series even, but still fully expect them to shown up at least twice more before the decade closes.