Fight Club Mafia - May your ass be kicked

Pac

She's a designer also.

Not sure why you keep telling me it's not my day. I know, I don't need to be told that dude. Appreciate the input, but I'm not Ape in real life. It's all about her, not me. :)

I don't make rude jokes in real life too :P good luck with the wedding planning, i'm thankful that Dan is actually super organized in real life.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe not in the purest form. But its the way most people act when they have them. The old "I dont want my kids to suffer like I did" mentality. People forget its the trials and tribulations of childhood and young adulthood that make you the successful person you are.

Yes it is. Both of his brothers make almost double what we do, and yet they are struggling to make ends meet. We make below the president's poverty line, and yet, hello, we are fine on money.

Both are observations that tell only part of the story...in my experience and from watching the marriages from friends and family the money issued relate more from a lack of communication and failure to set common goals...many couples want to have it all with each individual unwilling to concede for the betterment of the family (kids included). I have also seen couples work together after they have kids to develop a budget and investment program that serves their long term needs...and Christine, before you suggest you need money to make money, I too enlisted at the age of 18...so I understand the low income the military pays in the early years. The key is working together to live below your means. I have seen low income couples and high income couples fail and succeed. It's really not that hard but it does demand a certain honesty and sacrifice from both partners to make it work.

The most important part of a marriage is picking the right person. Second most is never forget why you picked them in the first place. Third is realizing how flawed you are and never blame the other person for your inability to be happy. BLAME will kill a marriage faster than Crusher a garbage can of wings.

Blame and score keeping. Two biggest relationship killers. Agree on picking the right person and FTR I got extremely lucky to find her.

It's all about living either above or below your means. Barring job loss or catestrophic health bills, a family that is struggling is due to living above their means. Living is expensive and having kids are expensive (we have 2), but we're not living paycheck to paycheck for the major reason that we bought a house below the max level we can afford as well as a car below the max level we could afford.

Of course, if either of us loses our job or one of us gets seriously ill, we'll be in a world of hurt, but otherwise we live comfortably and not at a high income for NYC.

It's all about living either above or below your means. Barring job loss or catestrophic health bills, a family that is struggling is due to living above their means. Living is expensive and having kids are expensive (we have 2), but we're not living paycheck to paycheck for the major reason that we bought a house below the max level we can afford as well as a car below the max level we could afford.

Of course, if either of us loses our job or one of us gets seriously ill, we'll be in a world of hurt, but otherwise we live comfortably and not at a high income for NYC.

Agreed. Disability insurance.

Both are observations that tell only part of the story...in my experience and from watching the marriages from friends and family the money issued relate more from a lack of communication and failure to set common goals...many couples want to have it all with each individual unwilling to concede for the betterment of the family (kids included). I have also seen couples work together after they have kids to develop a budget and investment program that serves their long term needs...and Christine, before you suggest you need money to make money, I too enlisted at the age of 18...so I understand the low income the military pays in the early years. The key is working together to live below your means. I have seen low income couples and high income couples fail and succeed. It's really not that hard but it does demand a certain honesty and sacrifice from both partners to make it work.

Qft

LOL, I know, and I see this first hand in a military town. Couples blow through their money each month, and we just look at them, wondering how the hell they wasted it all.

That's 100% correct. My point about having kids is to succeed you have to accept the fact that kids are a very expensive lifestyle. Our selfish tendencies have to be put on the back burner and you have to learn Crusher rule of life # 1. FOCUS ON WHAT YOU HAVE AND WHAT YOU HAVE ACCOMPLISHED as oppose to what you think you have earned and deserve. Too many people are too worried about having a fancy house and a fancy car and work their life away and never take the day off the take your kid swimming or fishing. My divorce and everything I have been through has showed me the value of looking at my kids smiles and judging myself and my lifes work accordingly.

Baby Crushers football coach paid me the biggest accomplishment I have gotten as a parent.. He told me that a month ago when Baby Crusher broke the all time Squat record at the school he immediately ran thru all the people congratulating him and grabbed his phone out of his book bag and started texting. Coach walked up to him and assumed it was a girl or a friend he was texting. When the coach told him that could wait and he should stay in the moment their and be with the team, Baby Crusher told him, "I gotta text my Dad quick because we have been working on this and he needs to know." Coach told me that he would have never guessed a high school kid would have ran and text his Dad first. That made up for a lot of the so called short comings I have judge myself in my life of. Just thought I would share.

hard to get ahead these days even when you live within your means. I'm waiting for the LF to hit tenure with her teaching gig. That's when the real doe starts coming in.. :eusa_shifty:

Lol that's what summer school is for this year! Doubles my paycheck for a month while I teach just seven kids every morning. Plus, I'll have some of them this upcoming year, so it's a nice opportunity to get to know them.

And there it is right there. That's the bottom line regardless of the size of your family (or whether you even have one at all). Now granted it's all that much easier to live beyond your means the larger your family is, but I've seen single people who are getting paid very well with crazy amounts of debt, while a full family who is making less combined income lives with no debt outside of a mortgage. There's just some people out there who will always spend everything they get, regardless of how much that is or how unnecessary it may be, and that's the biggest problem. Now granted, there are always exceptions to that rule, as you said, but more often than that, people's debt is a direct result of their own decision-making.

That's 100% correct. My point about having kids is to succeed you have to accept the fact that kids are a very expensive lifestyle. Our selfish tendencies have to be put on the back burner and you have to learn Crusher rule of life # 1. FOCUS ON WHAT YOU HAVE AND WHAT YOU HAVE ACCOMPLISHED as oppose to what you think you have earned and deserve. Too many people are too worried about having a fancy house and a fancy car and work their life away and never take the day off the take your kid swimming or fishing. My divorce and everything I have been through has showed me the value of looking at my kids smiles and judging myself and my lifes work accordingly.

Baby Crushers football coach paid me the biggest accomplishment I have gotten as a parent.. He told me that a month ago when Baby Crusher broke the all time Squat record at the school he immediately ran thru all the people congratulating him and grabbed his phone out of his book and started testing. Coach walked up to him and assumed it was a girl or a friend he was texting. When the coach told him that could wait and he should stay in the moment their and be with the team, Baby Crusher told him, "I gotta text my Dad quick because we have been working on this and he needs to know." Coach told me that he would have never guessed a high school kid would have ran and text his Dad first. That made up for a lot of the so called short comings I have judge myself in my life of. Just thought I would share.

That is awesome.

First of all, hi Nae!

Secondly, good advice, Crush, even for us girls. I'm at the beginning stages of a relationship and can use that kind of advice. "Is he the right one?" was foremost in my thoughts up to now, so I guess I'm not doing too badly. Yet. ;)

Archived