Is Tannenbaum the Problem??

TheSage

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I've gone on the record pretty clearly that I don't like the way Tannenbaum runs things, and that I'd like to see upgrades on offense - particularly at RB. But posts like this one start to get ridiculous.

People really think we could win the Super Bowl with these skill position players the Jets currently have if we had a competant QB?

Cmon. Shonn Greene sucks on every team in the league. Santonio Holmes is a nice #2 on every good team in the league.

The Jets havent invested any high picks at all on offense recently until Stephen Hill, who's a total project anyways. And the players they let walk, we're never replaced. They've just assumed the guys on the roster could step in and maintain the same production.

Answer to question #1 would be: depends on your definition of competent. I think a top 10 QB wins the Super Bowl with this team.

Shonn Greene sucks on every team in the league is just wrong. Like I said, I'm not thrilled with him, either, but he probably starts on half the league and he's a valuable #2 on nearly every team.

Santonio Holmes won a Super Bowl MVP trophy, he might be able to be a #1 on a good team.

Sperm did a much better job breaking down draft pick comparisons than I currently have the patience for, but who walked that they haven't replaced besides Woody? Tomlinson in his swan song year?

I'd like to see better and almost as importantly more draft picks, but your constant harping on the same theme over and over in increasingly exaggerated terms gets old. At least when Shane does it he's funny. Sometimes. You just sound like a cranky old man.

At least when Shane does it he's funny. Sometimes.

Excuse me. By "harping" and "exaggerated," do you mean, "why, look, everything that Shane has pointed out regarding Tannenbaum's flawed philosophy is totally playing out yet again, except now we're all regurgitating what he's said from Day One"?

ALSO BOOM

Picks, scouting...something the Jets have failed out on offense, while the Giants have not.

When you have quality starters already(which the Giants have, all of whom were drafted by the team) you have the luxury of picking JPP. The Giants addressed offense this draft because two main contributors from the Super Bowl team left via FA.

The Jets dont have an quality starters at the skill positions aside from a moody Santonio Holmes and we take projects on offense.

Sinorice Moss in the 2nd? Travis Beckum in the 3rd? Ramses Barden in the 3rd? Brandon Jacobs? I get the part where the Giants had more picks and hit more late round and UDFA home runs, but part of that comes from the difference in QB.

As far as a top 10 QB being a SB contender here? I dont think so. There is no a lot talent on offense. Drew Brees doesnt walk in here and put up video game numbers.

Meh. I'd take probably 20-25 starting backs over Greene.

Santonio Holmes won a Super Bowl- ok? A lot of guys girlfriends are in there.

Its crazy to even say, but people are underrating the loss of Tomlinson. He was the best pass catcher out of the backfield on the team last season, led the team in YAC and was really the only threat with the ball in his hands the team had on offense for the most part. McKnight seems to be the obvious replacement but he cant even get on the field over Bilal Powell, who hasnt exactly looked liek Eric Metcalf either. Replacing Woody would have been nice.

There's a reason this team had zero big plays last season. It wasnt all on Mark Sanchez. Guys like Leon Washington, Brad Smith, even Cotchery were bigger threats with the ball in their hands save Santonio when he feels like it...to make a play.

I just dont see how this team is going to score points.

Sinorice Moss in the 2nd? Travis Beckum in the 3rd? Ramses Barden in the 3rd? Brandon Jacobs? I get the part where the Giants had more picks and hit more late round and UDFA home runs, but part of that comes from the difference in QB.

If the difference is the QB....why did Moss flame out and why does Barden stink?

The Giants miss on picks too. They also have managed to hit on offense more than the Jets have...and obviously the hit big on the QB...where the Jets clearly did not.

You guys are making it tough to believe your theory that Matt is the one ruining the Knicks thread.

If the difference is the QB....why did Moss flame out and why does Barden stink?

The Giants miss on picks too. They also have managed to hit on offense more than the Jets have...and obviously the hit big on the QB...where the Jets clearly did not.

Moss flamed out and Barden stunk because they sucked. The point is that with decent QB play elevates decent WRs. Holmes is a guy who has aleady proven he could do it in the league and now suddenly he can't. Braylon didn't exactly throw up career numbers here, though maybe he was already on his way to being done. Derrick Mason? I don't know, but it's more important with the line. The Giants line sucked. They couldn't run block AND they couldn't pass block. I watched the games and if I am to believe the numbers geeks/PFO geeks/advance metrics geeks or whatever you call them statistically graded out worse. Yet the Giants put up tons of points. That isn't all on the Jets lack of skill position players. Or Schottenheimer.

You guys are making it tough to believe your theory that Matt is the one ruining the Knicks thread.

Moss flamed out and Barden stunk because they sucked. The point is that with decent QB play elevates decent WRs. Holmes is a guy who has aleady proven he could do it in the league and now suddenly he can't. Braylon didn't exactly throw up career numbers here, though maybe he was already on his way to being done. Derrick Mason? I don't know, but it's more important with the line. The Giants line sucked. They couldn't run block AND they couldn't pass block. I watched the games and if I am to believe the numbers geeks/PFO geeks/advance metrics geeks or whatever you call them statistically graded out worse. Yet the Giants put up tons of points. That isn't all on the Jets lack of skill position players. Or Schottenheimer.

Holmes has a good year in 2010 with the Jets. With a full 16 games I think he was on target for about 70 catches, 1000 yards and 8 TD's....which is what he was putting up in Pittsburgh. Considering the Jets could run the ball pretty well too, that's a nice year. Braylon had a nice year too. Led the AFC in YPC I believe? He was certainly up there.

The offense went to total sh*t last year. No Woody, Braylon or Cotchery. Teams had to respect Brad Smith too. The 2010 offense certainly wasnt the Manning Colts, but it wasnt awful either.

Holmes has a good year in 2010 with the Jets. With a full 16 games I think he was on target for about 70 catches, 1000 yards and 8 TD's....which is what he was putting up in Pittsburgh. Considering the Jets could run the ball pretty well too, that's a nice year. Braylon had a nice year too. Led the AFC in YPC I believe? He was certainly up there.

The offense went to total sh*t last year. No Woody, Braylon or Cotchery. Teams had to respect Brad Smith too. The 2010 offense certainly wasnt the Manning Colts, but it wasnt awful either.

Brad Smith? If you are going to list him, then Tebow was a huge addition because he is better at being Brad Smith on offense than Brad Smith was.

I appreciate that. I think?

Not sure if you should appreciate it, but they shouldn't. Cue panda .gif in four...three...two...

Brad Smith? If you are going to list him, then Tebow was a huge addition because he is better at being Brad Smith on offense than Brad Smith was.

Not sure if you should appreciate it, but they shouldn't. Cue panda .gif in four...three...two...

Is tebow that much better than Brad Smith though? Smith averaged 8 ypc in 2010, 11.5 in 2009. Guy converted a bunch of 3rd downs for us. If Tebow can match that production, I'll take it.

I know you are a astute observer of NFL talent. But that kind of speed with decent hands is simply too good to ignore.Might not be nearly as successful because the Jets QB is not nearly s good as Eli.

Fast with "decent" hands is the nice way of describing every nobody WR out there.

WR is the new RB. Grab a bunch of different ones with different measurements and skills, find a role for them, and then hope the QB (OL in RBs case) allows things to work.

This is pure and utter bullsh*t. See below:

Round 1, 5th pick: Mark Sanchez, QB, USC (traded up from 17)

Round 3, 227th pick: Shonn Green, RB, Iowa (traded up)

Round 6, 193rd pick: Matt Slauson, OG, Nebraska

Round 1, 29th pick: Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise St.

Round 2, 61st pick: Vlad Ducasse, OT, UMASS

Round 4, 112th pick: Joe McKnight, RB, USC (traded up)

Round 5, 139th pick: John Conner, FB, Kentucky -- 100 % Rex pick

Round 1, 30th pick: Muhammad Wilkerson, DE, Temple

Round 3, 94th pick: Kenrick Ellis, DT, Hampton

Round 4, 126th pick: Bilal Powell, RB, Louisville

Round 5, 153rd pick: Jeremy Kerley, WR, TCU (traded up)

Round 7, 208th pick: Greg McElroy, QB, Alabama

Round 7, 227th pick: Scotty McKnight, WR, Colorado

Round 1, 16th pick: Quinton Coples, DE, UNC

Round 2, 43rd pick: Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech (traded up)

Round 3, 77th pick: Demario Davis, LB, Arkansas St.

Round 6, 187th pick: Josh Bush, S, Wake Forest

Round 6, 202nd pick: Terrance Ganaway, RB, Baylor

Round 6, 203rd pick: Robert Griffin, G, Baylor

Round 7, 242nd pick: Antonio Allen, S, South Carolina

Round 7, 244th pick: Jordan White, WR, Western Michigan

21 Total Picks: 14 offense, 7 defense

FOUR times, you'll notice, the Jets have traded up to take a player on offense they really like. That hasn't happened yet on the defensive side of the ball.

What are we supposed to do; keep investing picks on offense and hope Sanchez somehow figures it out? If the very first pick of the Rex era had worked out like its supposed to, and we'd gotten a franchise QB, we wouldn't have needed to draft 13 offensive players out of the next 20.

Not to mention, its looking like Rex has hit homeruns on just about all of his picks on defense. What offensive players would you have preferred to take in the spots we were in that would have been significantly better than Wilson, Wilkerson, Ellis, Coples, Davis, and the safeties?

Picks the last two years in round one, two and three: Offense...1 Defense...4

FOUR times, you'll notice, the Jets have traded up to take a player on offense they really like. That hasn't happened yet on the defensive side of the ball.

What are we supposed to do; keep investing picks on offense and hope Sanchez somehow figures it out? If the very first pick of the Rex era had worked out like its supposed to, and we'd gotten a franchise QB, we wouldn't have needed to draft 13 offensive players out of the next 20.

Not to mention, its looking like Rex has hit homeruns on just about all of his picks on defense. What offensive players would you have preferred to take in the spots we were in that would have been significantly better than Wilson, Wilkerson, Ellis, Coples, Davis, and the safeties?

To be fair they traded up five times according to your list: Sanchez, Greene, McKnight, Kerley and HIll. Your cut off point is a little arbitrary. Was it somebody else's? The year before they traded up for Keller, but the certainly have traded up for D. See Revis and Harris.

To be fair they traded up five times according to your list: Sanchez, Greene, McKnight, Kerley and HIll. Your cut off point is a little arbitrary. Was it somebody else's?

The original point was that Rex only drafts defense. Since '09 when Rex took over, that's been anything but the case.

Picks the last two years in round one, two and three: Offense...1 Defense...4

Oh boy! Rex sure hates teh offense!

Look, either we keep investing in something that doesn't work (offense) or we invest in something that does (defense) until we get a real QB. I'll take the latter.

Nope, things were going great until Sanchize was drafted. Then the wheels kinda fell off the jets train.

When exactly did the wheels fall off? Before or after they reached the AFC Championship Game two years in a row for the first time in franchise history?

Tannenbaum is a freakin capologist. He is NOT an NFL GM and he never will be. The guy who built the core of this football team was Eric Mangini . He may not have been a good coach but he certainly understood how to build a team and bring in smart players who had good attitudes, were multi talented, and could contribute in many areas. Look at the crop of players this current FO has brought in. Have you heard some of these guys talk in interviews ? They sound like a bunch of Idiots. Ths team has lost its identity in 3 short years and Tanny should not take all that blame, the scouts, the coachs, and the owner, all play a part.

None of us really know what goes on behind closed doors but you have to be an idiot to think Woody Johnson did not have a say in the Tebow Trade. You add up Tebow and Wayne Hunter and Vlad Ducasse and you easily have the money to sign Eric Winston and solidify the offensive line.. Rex claims to be Ground and Pound. All we have seen is them get Pounded.

Most teams that want to pass the football go out and get WR's and solidify their O-Lines focus on pass protection and scoring points. The Jets on the other hand claim to be a running team yet have garbage in the backfield and an OL that is a shell of its former self after losing two key contributors. D-Brick no matter how you slice it is over rated and making a huge salary but in is defense he basicly plays next to a JAG. Either way double digit sacks is inexcusable and we had it from both the Right and Left Tackles last year yet we expect a QB whos trying to break out to be able to deal with that ?

With all these needs and holes The Jets decide to Draft a Defensive Lineman who very well may be a damn good player but most people felt in a 3-4 system the Jets were just fine depth wise on the DL. So why did we use our first pick on defense when we always seem to play well on defense and a lot of the blame as to why they get winded in the 4th quarter of games was all the 3 and outs by the offense ? Why not Draft a Decastro and Sign Winston like I explained in the first paragraph and solidify what you claim to be your freakin teams Identity ??

Some peole here may not agree with the Ground and Pound philosophy, but weather you do or you dont, its what our coach wants to do so why on earth have we ignored the line and the RB's on this football team ? We lost LT last year, he was meh and at the end of his career but do any of you think we have a back capable of replacing him as a receiver out of the back field ? Can any of our RB's like Joe ****ing McKnight pick up blitzing LB's and Safties ? Powell certainly has shown he cant as well as McKnight so WTF ? Greene has potential to be a decent back but hes always dealing with nagging injuries.

How did the Jets deal with the WR problem ? They signed a player whos always hurt and drafted a player in Hill who could very well be a crap shoot. That being said, Im ok with Hill, I think he can be the real deal but what happens after that ? Holmes needs someone who can open things up on the other side of the field, if that does not happen he will be shut down just like last year.

Are all these issues the sign of a good GM ? Is Rex Ryan and offensive Idiot ? Is the Owner getting too involved and thats the reason he didnt go after a strong minded GM like Casserly ? These are the questions we must ask this team but we will never get the real answer. I think this team is heading for failure and by failure I mean they wont make the playoffs and it will get worse every comming year. This team has been turned into a circus, the Same type of circus Bill Parcells rescued us from in the mid 90's . Get ready the worst is yet to come.

Spot on.

When exactly did the wheels fall off? Before or after they reached the AFC Championship Game two years in a row for the first time in franchise history?

My point exactly, with an average qb in those years we would have won the superbowl. The point is, our team has been slowly degrading with Sanchize at the helm. When you waste a lot of draft picks on a guy who sucks, your team takes a huge hit. This is a qb driven league. We need a qb to win a superbowl. Or an awesome defense with an insane running game with an average qb. Well we don't have an average qb, and we definitely don't have an insane running game, so compared to the team we had when we drafted Sanchize, the wheels are falling off big time.

Archived