Is ESPN right? Are the Jets a .500 team, no better?

BlackDynamite

I can't see how the Jets make it to .500 this year. I can envision the defense winning maybe 2 games by itself but this offense is Bollinger-esque Remember how he could move the ball up & down the field between the 20's but he always seemed to stall in the red zone? Add to that Sparano's offensive theory that a FG is as good as a TD. We'll will all be posting a site record amount of face palms on JN until after the New Year.

Then again, who knows maybe the world WILL end on December the 21st and we won't have to worry about this kind of stuff anymore anyway...Either we'll all be floating around in white robes playing harps or shoveling coal into a gigantic furnace in hades

Coal??? Damn... The Devil is so old fashioned. Lib's will have a tough time dealing with such polluting.

That's what I am trying to tell myself that offense wins games in today's NFL. But another part of me says, coaching, strategy, in game adjustments, a power running game and an offense that doesn't turn over the ball at least once per game also wins in today's NFL.

No question at all that it is possible to win that way -- but without a powerhouse offense, the margin of error decreases. If the team is pretty close to perfect, no problem. But the inability to play strongly from behind on offense is a tremendous handicap. Take just enough pressure off the defense with a better than middle of the pack offense and we are right there.

I was thinking 10-6 all summer, but the offense has hit rock bottom and the early schedule is brutal. The defense should still be able to bludgeon the bad teams, but 6-10 isn't entirely out of the question.

10-6 is doable as long as the offense improves over the course of the season, which would be my expectation in a new system with a rookie starting at WR. Last night was the first game they had decent OL play so far and Sanchez started throwing the ball downfield.

I don't know why a poor preseason on that side of the ball is such a shock. I expect a rough first half of the regular season.

I think the first game will tell it all. if we come out and beat down Fitzy and somehow score enough to win this will serve to give this team a boost. If we come out beat them up a little when we play and D and end up losing 17 to 9? Then the death spiral ensues.

QFT.

Our ceiling is ridiculously high. If the lightbulb goes on for Sanchez or he simply reduces the turnovers and 3-and-outs by, say 20 %......we can go 12-4. Our defense is looking seriously great with the Landry and Coples additions and the progression of Wilkerson and Ellis. Our LB's are still a little slow but Rex has always been able to work around some of our glaring weaknesses.

Our floor is 7-9 if Sanchez curls up in the fetal position.

Our ceiling is ridiculously high. If the lightbulb goes on for Sanchez or he simply reduces the turnovers and 3-and-outs by, say 20 %......we can go 12-4. Our defense is looking seriously great with the Landry and Coples additions and the progression of Wilkerson and Ellis. Our LB's are still a little slow but Rex has always been able to work around some of our glaring weaknesses.

Our floor is 7-9 if Sanchez curls up in the fetal position.

I would feel better if we could ground and pound for 3rd and 1.

I think the first game will tell it all. if we come out and beat down Fitzy and somehow score enough to win this will serve to give this team a boost. If we come out beat them up a little when we play and D and end up losing 17 to 9? Then the death spiral ensues.

+1!

Anybody here afraid of the Buffalo Bills? Not me.

If we lose to those Jabronis, then you can start reaching for the Panic Button on the way to Pittsburgh......

BD

Not the Bills but what the game can mean to the season? Then ME!!! We have to go out their beat them and go into a brutal early schedule with not only a win but the belief we can win. We lose to the Bills and we may go 0-4 or 1-3.

BTW, I'm not sweating the Steelers that much either. They aren't a 12-win lock anymore.

Wallace missed all of camp. So did Harrison. Which means one of them will get hurt early in the season. They have a RB who's wet behind the ears, and Cromartie and Revis match up well with Wallace and Brown, the bulk of Pitt's offense.

The Pitt defense has lost many players to free agency, and they have some injuries to overcome. They have just as many, if not more issues, as the Jets.....

BD

U have it nailed Crush, if jets lose wk1 i see a 1-3 start and finishing at 5-11

The Jills could get 8 sacks in wk1

ever have an Orange Crush...pretty awesome DelMava specialty

Agreed. The first game sets the tone for a difficult stretch to open up the season.

If the Jets can win 3 of their first 5 games, they have a legit shot at winning 10 games.

• 4 months later...

it doesnt matter what anyone thinks on how the Jets will do this year... its all fluff and nonsense. it means nothing and no one is held accountable for their predictions.

Lets see what happens when this counts for real, and we'll see where we are at the end of december. hopefully the jets will be shoving a huge helping of go **** yourself to those who underestimate them. And I hope I eat crow.

:rl: No crow for me.

Merrill Hoge has them winning FIVE games?

James Walker of AFC East Blog at ESPN.com set their line at 8.5 wins

The "ESPN Computer did over 10k simulations" and came up with 8 wins, and the BUFFALO BILLS in second place more often than the Jets!

Greeny & Golic have them winning 6 games!

To his credit, the brains of the outfit, Jon Gruden, was asked by Tirico will they win more or less than 8 games, and he seemed surprised by the question and number, and said more than 8, just based on the strength of their defense.

I have them winning 10 games, but could see them going anywhere from 8-8 to 11-5. The defense will be too good to let them go below .500, especially against their weak schedule (Only 5 games against playoff teams from last season, including two games vs the Patriots). But the offense/OC is too weak

to truly have a great regular season. And the special teams looks like a plus as usual, with Westy showing the league how Specials are done.

If the Jets O gets it together in the second half of the season, when the schedule is weakest, they can definitely finish strong against teams that hate coming up North in December, like Arizona and San Diego.

ESPN is obviously putting great stock into the preseason. But Rex has only shown some basic blitz packages, and the Wildcat is Top Secret.

The Rams were 4-0 last preseason, and they only lost 14 games once they started for real....

BD

Hodge hates the Jets and always have.....ESPN is pro Pats...so take what they say with a grain of salt.

Archived