First ballot Hall of Famer LaDainian Tomlinson- "Santonio Holmes is a quitter"

Matt39

Holmes is going to be the reason Rex gets canned. Should have taken out the trash after Miami last year.

By Kareem Copeland

Around the League Writer

Published: Sept. 23, 2012 at 09:52 a.m.

Once a quitter, always a quitter, according to LaDainian Tomlinson.

The former New York Jets running back was on the field when Santonio Holmes essentially gave up during a 19-17 loss to the Miami Dolphins in the final game of last season.

Tomlinson, now an NFL Network analyst, said Holmes is the same guy.

"He hasn't changed," Tomlinson said Sunday on "First on the Field." "The only thing about it -- a new year brings new hope. We all know that as players. But as a player, the one thing you know, when you're playing with a guy that has quit on you, you know that when the times get tough, he will quit on you again.

"That's one thing I do know. And that's kind of what I expect when the season goes along."

The Jets are 1-1 and play the Dolphins in Week 3. There are ginormous concerns with the Mark Sanchez-led offense and the presence that is Tim Tebow lingering on the sideline.

There's no panic, for now, but every season brings adversity. And when it does ...

"It's split down the middle," Tomlinson said about whether teammates trust and respect Holmes. "It depends on what ... Santonio Holmes does moving forward, if they trust him or not. If he comes out and continues to play like this, they won't because they know he will quit."

This isn't a good evaluation for Holmes, who has seven catches, 96 yards and one touchdown through two games. Tomlinson was there for the first incident and knows that team. Tomlinson always had a reputation as a "team guy," so you can see how that kind of disrespect for the game would bother him.

The biggest problem for the Jets is the lack of playmakers at the position. They can't afford to lose Holmes' skill set for any reason. They've got to keep him involved, one way or another.

Holmes' $50M extension could be a big reason Tannenbaum gets canned, but I don't see how Rex would.

I think they'll creatively find a way to get Holmes off of the roster, then Tannenbaum will give some revisionist history about whose idea it was to bring Holmes in. If Holmes implodes, you'll hear about "sources" saying that Rex pushed for the deal in much the same way you heard that Mangini begged for Gholston. Tannenbaum is a cockroach that way. If the whole thing goes bad, I think Tanny is safer than Rex because he can still tell Woody about all the money he's saved him over the years, while making the argument that Rex simply flamed out and the fans subsequently abandoned him and the team. Woody wants no part of getting his hands dirty mucking around for a new middle-manager. It's easy to hire a new coach. All it takes is cash.

I think they'll creatively find a way to get Holmes off of the roster, then Tannenbaum will give some revisionist history about whose idea it was to bring Holmes in. If Holmes implodes, you'll hear about "sources" saying that Rex pushed for the deal in much the same way you heard that Mangini begged for Gholston. Tannenbaum is a cockroach that way. If the whole thing goes bad, I think Tanny is safer than Rex because he can still tell Woody about all the money he's saved him over the years, while making the argument that Rex simply flamed out and the fans subsequently abandoned him and the team. Woody wants no part of getting his hands dirty mucking around for a new middle-manager. It's easy to hire a new coach. All it takes is cash.

Holy conspiracy theory, Batman.

You're raving mad, Tom. Woody will have no hesitation in firing the accountant if we have a losing season. None.

Rex probably did push for it. Just go back and watch Hard Knocks, with Rex referring to Holmes as, "the best player on the field." His love/respect for Holmes dated back to defending against him in Baltimore.

That said, the Jets can get out from under the contract next year. It'll hurt, but they can do it. If Holmes is that much of a problem, they should bench his ass - and do it soon. Either he'll learn his lesson (unlikely) and come back and play hard, or he can go back into free agency next year with the reputation of a malcontent cancer. But the Jets can't keep catering to him.

Rex probably did push for it. Just go back and watch Hard Knocks, with Rex referring to Holmes as, "the best player on the field." His love/respect for Holmes dated back to defending against him in Baltimore.

even if Rex pushed for it, that's not really Rex's call. Especially cause he's basically a 100% defensive mind. When Rex pushes for Revis hold out to end, that's more his area of expertise.

giving santonio holmes a bunch of money was never a great idea but remember that Holmes production will only come if he is targeted. Maybe that's a trust issue or an accuracy issue but either way Holmes can't produce unless he gets fed. Last week against PIT he was fed and that was a positive game for him, despite the Jets loss. the trend arrow is pointed up not down with Santonio.

It's been widely reported that when Tannenbaum found out that Holmes was available he walked into see Rex and asked him Santonio Holmes, yes or no? and Rex jumped at it as Slats said remembering all the times he hurt him as a Steeler and he was the Baltimore DC...so it was Rex who pushed for the trade-he could have said no dice, Mike-kid's a quitter, and has a bad reputation but that's not how it went down. It was Rex's call all the way

The Jets have put Sanchez in a no win situation, between bringing in Tebow, and making Holmes the only real receiver on the team.

The Jets can't say they've surrounded Sanchez with talent in the passing game. Keller caught one pass, got hurt, and hasn't been seen since.....

BD

See, I heard Tebow was here to "light a fire under Sanchez". That's what I was told.

Everyone's got a spin to make their point.

Tomlinson is a serial complainer and Holmes is a baby. Kickoff is 63 minutes away. Life goes on.

It's been widely reported that when Tannenbaum found out that Holmes was available he walked into see Rex and asked him Santonio Holmes, yes or no? and Rex jumped at it as Slats said remembering all the times he hurt him as a Steeler and he was the Baltimore DC...so it was Rex who pushed for the trade-he could have said no dice, Mike-kid's a quitter, and has a bad reputation but that's not how it went down. It was Rex's call all the way

GM's job is to look more big picture.

Every trade an personnel move falls on him. Even if the coach champions it.

Wow. Loved to get your take on who is the puppet master sabotaging Mark Sanchez.

See this. http://turnonthejets.com/page/2/

Archived