Revis Vents About Trade Rumors In NFL Network Interview

JetNation

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are saying he won't get it, but saying that he will. 

Im saying he wont get it with a full contract but instead, with all his holding out and threats of such he'll be able to get what he wants by piecing multiple contracts together. In no way shape or form is that hypocritical or contradictory.

Won't be long before revis becomes as interested in a ring as the money and is willing to take a discount to solidify his HOF bona fides and put a cherry on his career. This won't happen on the jets. Breaks my heart but get what u can for him.

Im saying he wont get it with a full contract but instead, with all his holding out and threats of such he'll be able to get what he wants by piecing multiple contracts together. In no way shape or form is that hypocritical or contradictory.

and that will only happen because a GM is willing, maybe even happy, to pay him that money for those years and by structuring the deal that way when he slips they don't give in to his hold out.

If we can get a couple picks for him, do it.  He is the best CB in the NFL.....and the Jets have paid him like it.  Despite that, he has held out twice already and will again, plus he feels like the team has to kiss his arse.  He is the employee and the Jets are his employer.  They do not owe him a heads up, or anything else except paying him what they have agreed to.  We have Cromartie......we can find another CB.  Let the team we trade him  to worship him to his liking.  The Jets will suck the next 2 years anyway.  Get him out and get some picks. 

You said Peyton Manning is worse than Mark Sanchez.

really? I don't remember that but I say alot of crazy sh*t. 

btw that's got nothing to do with this convo. it's an attack on a source rather than addressing the topic of a debate. Like my credibility needs to be attacked.

I say X and someone says but you said Y a year ago? it's got nothing to do with nothing. this isn't the peoples court you can't win an argument by removing credibility of the witness. 

l love to see a quote where REvis demanded 18 million. Im fairly sure that never happened. 

If we can get a couple picks for him, do it.  He is the best CB in the NFL.....and the Jets have paid him like it.  Despite that, he has held out twice already and will again, plus he feels like the team has to kiss his arse.  He is the employee and the Jets are his employer.  They do not owe him a heads up, or anything else except paying him what they have agreed to.  We have Cromartie......we can find another CB.  Let the team we trade him  to worship him to his liking.  The Jets will suck the next 2 years anyway.  Get him out and get some picks. 

He would have already held out for a 3rd time in 6 seasons, prior to 2012, if Tannenbaum didn't stick that poison pill in his contract.  It was big news and Revis was non-committal when asked if he was going to show up.  Ultimately he did because he had zero leverage.  Happy that Tannenbaum is gone, but this is one thing he gets no credit for while only getting blame for giving up the ability to franchise tag him after 2013 if he opts-out of this contract's last 3 years (which he clearly will do).

He may very well be the best CB I've ever seen, but he's a greedy, me-first cock who feels that agreements are only things other people have to live up to.

This is essentially what he wants:

The Revis tag.  It's like the franchise tag except it isn't the average of the top 5 players; it's always the #1 salary.  But he wants it every year with that number ever-changing based upon what other people sign for after him.  And just in case he gets injured or his play tapers off, he wants 75% of the full contract amount paid over just the first 2 years.

It doesn't get much greedier and me-first than that.  As a person, I don't fault him for trying to get it. As a member of a team that has dozens of other people to pay or they'll suck, he's a selfish douchebag.  He sees himself as the winner not the team.  But we don't get any Lombardi trophies just because he's a first-team all-pro CB.

Lost on the keep-Revis crowd is that he costs us $3M/year more to keep than it would cost anyone else because of money the team has already paid him (which he feels counts for absolutely nothing anymore).  

If he balks at another $12M/year extension with similar poison-pill clauses to prevent future holdouts, then move him.  Will suck to see him playing for someone else, but a team can't function and plan for the future when their top player holds out every other year.

As Cowherd said a year ago, if he cant show up to camp and just be one of the guys....I'll take my chance with B, B+ corners.

Then again, we may be working ourselves up here....because Revis has never come out and said he has to be the highest paid player every season.

He would have already held out for a 3rd time in 6 seasons, prior to 2012, if Tannenbaum didn't stick that poison pill in his contract.  It was big news and Revis was non-committal when asked if he was going to show up.  Ultimately he did because he had zero leverage.  Happy that Tannenbaum is gone, but this is one thing he gets no credit for while only getting blame for giving up the ability to franchise tag him after 2013 if he opts-out of this contract's last 3 years (which he clearly will do).

He may very well be the best CB I've ever seen, but he's a greedy, me-first cock who feels that agreements are only things other people have to live up to.

This is essentially what he wants:

The Revis tag.  It's like the franchise tag except it isn't the average of the top 5 players; it's always the #1 salary.  But he wants it every year with that number ever-changing based upon what other people sign for after him.  And just in case he gets injured or his play tapers off, he wants 75% of the full contract amount paid over just the first 2 years.

It doesn't get much greedier and me-first than that.  As a person, I don't fault him for trying to get it. As a member of a team that has dozens of other people to pay or they'll suck, he's a selfish douchebag.  He sees himself as the winner not the team.  But we don't get any Lombardi trophies just because he's a first-team all-pro CB.

Lost on the keep-Revis crowd is that he costs us $3M/year more to keep than it would cost anyone else because of money the team has already paid him (which he feels counts for absolutely nothing anymore).  

If he balks at another $12M/year extension with similar poison-pill clauses to prevent future holdouts, then move him.  Will suck to see him playing for someone else, but a team can't function and plan for the future when their top player holds out every other year.

Great post.  Agreed 100%.  He's a me first guy and that wont change.  

The beauty is, no team has ever won a SB with services of Revis, so I think the Jets can do it to (assuming the Jets could ever win a SB).  And the team was a whopping 2 games worse which had very little to do with his presence as the Jets still had the 2nd best pass D in the league.  

As a fan of the game and the team, its great watching a Revis, there are few like him but if he's going to take up some much cap space that its impossible to build a champion, get what you can for him and relieve yourself of the never ending headache/distraction.  

As Cowherd said a year ago, if he cant show up to camp and just be one of the guys....I'll take my chance with B, B+ corners.

Then again, we may be working ourselves up here....because Revis has never come out and said he has to be the highest paid player every season.

I thought he did say he wanted to be the highest paid defender or CB by a dollar every year...or am I making that up?

I thought he did say he wanted to be the highest paid defender or CB by a dollar every year...or am I making that up?

Yeah, Revis did say it.  It was in 2010 when Nhamdi was the highest paid CB that year because of the Raiders' ridiculous 2 yr contract.  Revis said he should be paid more, even by a little amount, but it should be more.

Also, Peter King reported around that time that he learned from Revis' agents that he wants to be paid like a top NFL player and not a top CB.  Meaning, that for contract purposes, his position is irrelevant.  Since he is one of the top players in the sport, teams have to look at contracts for Brady, Peyton and Brees for comparison rather than the contracts of other QBs.

Revis' contract demands have been well reported.  There is no mystery here unless you're a truth denier.

Yeah, I agree to some extent.  He never mentioned money or contract.  He mentioned a phone call.  He just wants to know if he's going to have to start preparing to uproot his entire life and move elsewhere and start over again on a new team in a different part of the country.  The Jets FO is notoriously bad at communicating with its players.  See: Pennington, Washington, Ellis, Coles Etc.  I don't think Revis being frustrated with a lack of communication is an indictment on his character at all.  Idzik did finally call him, but only after the fact.  Perhaps if that call came a few days before the "leak" this would never have made the news.

Except for when you take a look back at the circumstances of this situation, it's a completely different reality.  Revis is the one going out in public and throwing a fit against the team over the fact that, with a brand new GM who hadn't even had time to do anything with the team yet, there were rumors that the Jets might be considering the possibility of trading Revis.  So the Jets are supposed to go running to Revis and make sure he's ok with it before they even discuss the possibility internally (if they even did that much)?  Give me a break, that has to be one of the most asinine things I've ever heard.  There hasn't even been a single report of them even having any conversations at all with any other teams.  Besides, Revis didn't seem to be all too concerned about not hurting the Jets feelings when he held out on them... twice.

The truth of the matter is, he's one of the single most self-important players in the NFL.  It's reasons like this why despite an amazing year that he is now over 3 years removed from but still wants to be paid based upon, I'd be more than happy to see the Jets ship him off for the right price.

and that will only happen because a GM is willing, maybe even happy, to pay him that money for those years and by structuring the deal that way when he slips they don't give in to his hold out.

Hey, that's his plan.  It worked with Tanny.  Now he has to see if it will work elsewhere.

The problem with this argument is that it completely ignores how contracts are structured under the salary cap.  Revis believes he should be the heighest paid player every year of his contract and that is simply not feasible.

Thus, he got paid $18 mil one year and the next he'll get less because the contract has to be structured that way.  So, in one year, he'll get paid less than an Eric Smith because Smith signed a shorter contract. 

It's not about a lack of respect.  It's about him, you, and his other defenders having a simple lack of knowledge about math.

Unfortunately I can only rep this post once, so let me just say:  very well said.

Revis wants to ignore any and all money he was ever previously paid, including bonuses designed as compensation for the length of his contract and not simply for the given moment they are paid out like he wants to pretend they are.

Unfortunately I can only rep this post once, so let me just say:  very well said.

Revis wants to ignore any and all money he was ever previously paid, including bonuses designed as compensation for the length of his contract and not simply for the given moment they are paid out like he wants to pretend they are.

Just like the owners ignore any money that is due on a contract when they cut players - see Pace, Calvin and Scott, Bart.  This is not news to anyone, let alone any NFL front office. 

The truth of the matter is, he's one of the single most self-important players in the NFL.

He's also one of the most talented. You know who isn't self-important? guys who suck. Jets fans haven't seen a player as good as Revis since Namath. Also very self important, btw. That kinda comes with the territory with HOF'ers. One solution is to trade him, and have 0 HOF'ers on the team. 

Not getting the hypocricy claim.  Revis's stated intention is to get between $16 mil to $18 mil every year of his contract. He's on record as saying that and there has been reports expanding on that.  That's QB money and he won't get it.  Hence, my statement that he won't get paid on a single contract $18 mil for every year of the deal. Thus, he will seek to renegotiate to do an end around that fact.

BTW, the deal Tanny signed Revis to did exactly that.  It gave him balloon payments in the 1st 2 years.  In fact, Revis pocketed something like $25 mil in his 1st year of the contract.  It ended up averaging about $36+ mil in the 1st 2 years.  Tanny added the no-holdout clause because he knew Revis would try to holdout after those 1st 2 years when Revi's salary dropped in year 3.

The funny thing was a moment after he signed the contract he still turned around and said he didn't care about the clause and would consider holding out anyway, which was the moment he had already put one foot out the door for this offseason.

Just like the owners ignore any money that is due on a contract when they cut players - see Pace, Calvin and Scott, Bart.  This is not news to anyone, let alone any NFL front office. 

Actually, that's a poor analogy.  You're talking about future payouts, not prior payouts which Bleedin is referring to.  Owners are fully aware about the money they already paid to a player.  It's one of the reasons that a team cuts a player or seeks to renegotiate.

The funny thing was a moment after he signed the contract he still turned around and said he didn't care about the clause and would consider holding out anyway, which was the moment he had already put one foot out the door for this offseason.

How easily that is ignored.  Revis called his shot.  He just signed a contract and said he'd hold out again.  I never heard of a player doing that before until Revis did.

Actually, that's a poor analogy.  You're talking about future payouts, not prior payouts which Bleedin is referring to.  Owners are fully aware about the money they already paid to a player.  It's one of the reasons that a team cuts a player or seeks to renegotiate.

We've been arguing about this for days and I don't see how, but I guess I haven't been clear.  It's exactly the same thing, only from the opposite perspective.  Bart Scott knew he would get cut this offseason.  When he signed his deal and the renegotiation, he knew that he would get cut if he weren't playing at an extremely high level.  In the same respect, the player/agent/front office know that a player like Revis that is signed for some small amount - say $3-5M will have to have his deal redone if they are continuing to play at a HOF level.  Period.  Everybody on ******* earth knows it, so why act like Revis is trying to pull something by doing something that is expected and even negotiated into the deal by both sides?

You mean to tell me you see no difference in a player who gets cut not getting paid money they haven't yet earned, while getting to keep money they did not yet earn, versus a player who holds out refusing to perform for money they have already previously been paid for that future performance?  In order for it to be a fair point of comparison, a player would have to be required to pay back to the team the remainder of their prorated bonus amount when they hold out.  If that were the case, then your point would have some merit to it.

We've been arguing about this for days and I don't see how, but I guess I haven't been clear.  It's exactly the same thing, only from the opposite perspective.  Bart Scott knew he would get cut this offseason.  When he signed his deal and the renegotiation, he knew that he would get cut if he weren't playing at an extremely high level.  In the same respect, the player/agent/front office know that a player like Revis that is signed for some small amount - say $3-5M will have to have his deal redone if they are continuing to play at a HOF level.  Period.  Everybody on ******* earth knows it, so why act like Revis is trying to pull something by doing something that is expected and even negotiated into the deal by both sides?

We're actually arguing different things, LOL.

First, it is the SAME thing when a player and a team tries to renegotiate or threatens to cut or holdsout to get more money.  We are not disagreeing on that.

Second, your analogy does not apply to the specific Revis Tag (thanks SE) situation.  That is not like a team trying to renegotiate because he thinks he's underpaid in a given year.

He's also one of the most talented. You know who isn't self-important? guys who suck. Jets fans haven't seen a player as good as Revis since Namath. Also very self important, btw. That kinda comes with the territory with HOF'ers. One solution is to trade him, and have 0 HOF'ers on the team. 

To be honest, Revis isn't nearly as good as he (and some others around here) thinks he is.  He had one admittedly amazing season in 2009.  There has been no evidence since then to suggest he's capable of ever replicating that.  Since then, he has still certainly been a very, very good CB, but nothing that shows any significant difference between him and the other top players at his position.  Cromartie, who was not even considered top 5 (possibly not even top 10) when he was #2 across from Revis, proved that to all of us this season when given the opportunity to step up into that role and playing lights out.

You know who isn't self-important?  People who care about anyone but themselves, and there are a lot of amazingly talented players in the NFL who qualify.  Talent isn't an excuse for acting like a douchebag.  Try to compare him to other people all you want as an attempt to defend him, but I can't think of a single player in the NFL who has the track record of being as self-obsessed as Revis.

I can't think of a single player in the NFL who has the track record of being as self-obsessed as Revis.

You are confusing the words "Expensive" and "self-obsessed".  Revis wants to be paid what he is worth. How about Chad Ochocinco for a more self obsessed NFL player. Or any decent WR for that matter. 

You are confusing the words "Expensive" and "self-obsessed".  Revis wants to be paid what he is worth. How about Chad Ochocinco for a more self obsessed NFL player. Or any decent WR for that matter. 

But no player is paid as the "best player" in every year of the contract in the NFL.  They simply can't because of the salary cap.  Brees, Brady, and Peyton are not pocketting the same amount every year of their deals.  Some years one is paid more than the other.

In other words, Tom Brady isn't paid like Tom Brady in every single year of his multiyear contract and that's by necessity under the salary cap.

Joe Flacco is about to cash in.  He's seeking $20 mil a year contract and he'll get it, but he and his agents know as a practical matter that he will not pocket $20 mil every year of the contract.  That's the difference with Revis.

But no player is paid as the "best player" in every year of the contract in the NFL.  They simply can't because of the salary cap.  Brees, Brady, and Peyton are not pocketting the same amount every year of their deals.  Some years one is paid more than the other.

In other words, Tom Brady isn't paid like Tom Brady in every single year of his multiyear contract and that's by necessity under the salary cap.

Joe Flacco is about to cash in.  He's seeking $20 mil a year contract and he'll get it, but he and his agents know as a practical matter that he will not pocket $20 mil every year of the contract.  That's the difference with Revis.

I agree with this but will ask again when exactly did Revis demand 18 mil per year? I've asked it 3x so far in this thread and no response from the Revis haters. The number keeps going up the more people want to trade him. We really don't know what revis will get out of this market. This whole trade thing could be a way for other teams besides the Jets to tell Revis what he is actually worth. Because whoever is thinking about trading for him, also has to work out the framework of a big deal. It could be he's not worth 16 mil and it's the Broncos who will tell him such. 

No, Revis wants to be paid far more than what he is worth.  Revis also wants the team to come running to him before they even discuss the possibility of trading him.  Revis runs to the media every time he has a gripe about anything.  Revis fakes injuries in order to get out of practicing.  Revis holds out repeatedly.  Revis threatens to hold out again mere moments after being given a new contract making him the highest paid player at his position.  Revis lets himself get fat and out of shape while holding out, ultimately making it so that he comes nowhere close to earning the amount of money he spent months demanding (while in the middle of another contract he held out for).  Revis actually goes to the media and defines himself as the best player on the team (coming off of a year where he played a grand total of 3 games).

I'd qualify all of that as far more self-obsessed than a moronic show-boater.  Then again, even if not, the fact that you even needed to use a guy like Chad Johnson of all people as the point of comparison in an attempt to defend Revis' actions really says it all, doesn't it?

I actually answered that.  It was in 2010.  Peter King was the prominent reporter to mention it.  It was about Revis wanting to be paid as one of the best players in the NFL rather than the best CB, and thus be on par with Brees, Brady, and Peyton.  Revis actually alluded to that when a reported asked him if he was seeking $20 mil a year.  Revis denied it and said he was not seeking "that much."

I agree with this but will ask again when exactly did Revis demand 18 mil per year? I've asked it 3x so far in this thread and no response from the Revis haters.

No, Revis wants to be paid far more than what he is worth.  Revis also wants the team to come running to him before they even discuss the possibility of trading him.  Revis runs to the media every time he has a gripe about anything.  Revis fakes injuries in order to get out of practicing.  Revis holds out repeatedly.  Revis threatens to hold out again mere moments after being given a new contract making him the highest paid player at his position.  Revis lets himself get fat and out of shape while holding out, ultimately making it so that he comes nowhere close to earning the amount of money he spent months demanding (while in the middle of another contract he held out for).  Revis actually goes to the media and defines himself as the best player on the team (coming off of a year where he played a grand total of 3 games).

I'd qualify all of that as far more self-obsessed than a moronic show-boater.  Then again, even if not, the fact that you even needed to use a guy like Chad Johnson of all people as the point of comparison in an attempt to defend Revis' actions really says it all, doesn't it?

sorry he's not johnny unitas and it's not 1960 anymore. If you get a player this good, it comes with the territory. They say Jerry Rice was a PITA and you should have heard Michael Jordan's demands. 

I actually answered that.  It was in 2010.  Peter King was the prominent reporter to mention it.  It was about Revis wanting to be paid as one of the best players in the NFL rather than the best CB.  Revis actually alluded to that when a reported asked him if he was seeking $20 mil a year.  Revis denied it and said he was not seeking "that much."

ok so he denied it. And that was... 3 years ago and before he blew his knee out. It's possible that's not a relevant quote anymore. 

sorry he's not johnny unitas and it's not 1960 anymore. If you get a player this good, it comes with the territory. They say Jerry Rice was a PITA and you should have heard Michael Jordan's demands. 

First, Rice and Jordan won championships.  Revis is currently the best player on a last place team.

Second, Rice was never paid as much as a the best QBs. 

Third, the NBA has guaranteed contracts and the Bird Rule which allows teams to go over the cap for homegrown players.

ok so he denied it. And that was... 3 years ago and before he blew his knee out. It's possible that's not a relevant quote anymore. 

Hey, if we start hearing stories that Revis is now looking for a salary in the $10 to $14 mil range, then we can say that his old negotiate stance is no longer relevant.  As of now, that's all we can go on.

Archived