updated cap for jets

FoxJet

Jets | Have opened up cap space 
Wed, 13 Mar 2013 07:23:53 -0700

The New York Jets have saved $11.5 million in salary cap space between CB Antonio Cromartie's restructure, WR Santonio Holmes' pay cut ($3.5 million) and the release of DT Sione Pouha. The team is now at $15.7 million under the cap.

Comment | Source: ESPNNewYork.com - Rich Cimini | Share: facebook.png 

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz2NQlgoJ18

Now we have enough room to cut Sanchez this year.

:headbang:

And why would the Jets cut Sanchez and take on a $4+ mil hit? His contract is guaranteed so Woody would have to pay him his entire salary in any case.

And why would the Jets cut Sanchez and take on a $4+ mil hit? His contract is guaranteed so Woody would have to pay him his entire salary in any case.

Because it would save the Jets money on next year's cap while ridding themselves of this team's most useless turd, thus completely avoiding the horrible possibility of them actually finding themselves starting him at some point this year.

The hit is coming this year or next year (technically it's $500K cheaper to dump him now, before that workout bonus is due, than next March).  We're not winning a SB this year.  Don't soil next year's chances by lessening the damage in 2013.

That $4-5M doesn't disappear.  It just gets pushed off to next year (when he won't be on the team anyway).

Because it would save the Jets money on next year's cap while ridding themselves of this team's most useless turd, thus completely avoiding the horrible possibility of them actually finding themselves starting him at some point this year.

$4.3 mil hit now, or $4.8 mil hit next year. We need the cap space this year more than next year. If we trade Revis and release Sanchez, we will be paying over $7mil against our current cap to do so. Not happening. If we keep him and save that $4.3 mil cap hit (assuming $4.3 mil is all Jets have left over in cap space by the end of the year), it will get rolled over to 2014.

So we are basically talking about saving $500k while losing a player. That roster spot would then have to be filled and even and undrafted rookie will get I think $350k. So we are really talking about saving $150k and not having the ability to do anything in the FA at all.

The hit is coming this year or next year (technically it's $500K cheaper to dump him now, before that workout bonus is due, than next March).  We're not winning a SB this year.  Don't soil next year's chances by lessening the damage in 2013.

That $4-5M doesn't disappear.  It just gets pushed off to next year (when he won't be on the team anyway).

See my last response. Jets need the cap space more in 2013 than in 2014. Jets won't have Revis on board in 2014, and probably wont have Santonio's bloated cap. I also don't see Cromartie to be a Jet in 2014 with his $14.5mil cap charge. With a base of $4.3mil, some team might bite and trade for him. Jets will have plenty of room to sign a few decent players in 2014, just not in 2013.

How are the Jets only $15mil under the cap? According to my calculations, Jets should be around $20 mil under.

http://nyjetscap.com/salary.html

Jason had Jets around $8.1 mil under before the FA started. Pouha saved about $3.9 bring cap to $12mil under. Cro saved about $4.2 and Holmes saved $3.5 mil, bringing the total to almost $20 mil under. Did I miss something?

How are the Jets only $15mil under the cap? According to my calculations, Jets should be around $20 mil under.

Jason had Jets around $8.1 mil under before the FA started. Pouha saved about $3.9 bring cap to $12mil under. Cro saved about $4.2 and Holmes saved $3.5 mil, bringing the total to almost $20 mil under. Did I miss something?

I didn't get a chance to look at the link, but is that accounting for the RFA tags the Jets gave out?

A lot of the numbers being thrown around are presumed by the writers.

We won’t know exactly until all of the  contracts are examined by someone like Jason

I didn't get a chance to look at the link, but is that accounting for the RFA tags the Jets gave out?

Ahh....thats where it went. $2mil to Howard, $1mil to Garrard, $1.3 to Cumberland and about $600k to Mauga. Thats where $5mil went....Nevermind.

If he’s healthy I think Garrard is going to surprise you.  Guys a good football player.

Key is will he stay healthy?

He had some good years in Jax, but he's now 34 years old. Not every QB can play good in their mid 30s, especially after going through some injury break. I hope he surprises people. I do expect him to be an average QB, just not above average though.

See my last response. Jets need the cap space more in 2013 than in 2014. Jets won't have Revis on board in 2014, and probably wont have Santonio's bloated cap. I also don't see Cromartie to be a Jet in 2014 with his $14.5mil cap charge. With a base of $4.3mil, some team might bite and trade for him. Jets will have plenty of room to sign a few decent players in 2014, just not in 2013.

I don't give a crap about their extra cap space in 2013.  We are not winning a superbowl in 2013.  I am more concerned about extra cap room in 2014 and beyond.  If there is even more "extra" room in 2014 that we don't need (don't use) in 2014 then it's easy to push that extra space on to 2015 and so on.

I disagree on Cromartie.  I think they'll either keep him for that last year or extend him.  Unless there's a sharp downturn in his production, I don't see them eating $11M to cut him in a potentially competitive season when it costs $14.5M to keep him.  If they were looking to drop Cromartie next year then they'd cut him now and designate him as a June 1st cut.  It's obvious that was an option and I can't believe it didn't occur to Idzik to do so.

Cutting Cromartie now as a post-June 1 cut means we don't pay his $2.3M RB, don't pay his $200K workout bonus, and don't pay his $7M salary.  So it would have cleared up as much space in 2013 and would be on the hook for very little in 2014.  They didn't do that, so it leads me to believe they will be keeping him in 2014.  

I do agree it is a possibility that they trade him, but like Revis he would be a 1-year rental (at $4.3M) and of an age where the other team trading for him maybe isn't so gung-ho about locking him up long-term.  Unlike players like Revis, I don't see Cromartie's skillset translating into becoming a top-rated safety when he loses a step.

I don't give a crap about their extra cap space in 2013.  We are not winning a superbowl in 2013.  I am more concerned about extra cap room in 2014 and beyond.  If there is even more "extra" room in 2014 that we don't need (don't use) in 2014 then it's easy to push that extra space on to 2015 and so on.

I disagree on Cromartie.  I think they'll either keep him for that last year or extend him.  Unless there's a sharp downturn in his production, I don't see them eating $11M to cut him in a potentially competitive season when it costs $14.5M to keep him.  If they were looking to drop Cromartie next year then they'd cut him now and designate him as a June 1st cut.  It's obvious that was an option and I can't believe it didn't occur to Idzik to do so.

Cutting Cromartie now as a post-June 1 cut means we don't pay his $2.3M RB, don't pay his $200K workout bonus, and don't pay his $7M salary.  So it would have cleared up as much space in 2013 and would be on the hook for very little in 2014.  They didn't do that, so it leads me to believe they will be keeping him in 2014.  

I do agree it is a possibility that they trade him, but like Revis he would be a 1-year rental (at $4.3M) and of an age where the other team trading for him maybe isn't so gung-ho about locking him up long-term.  Unlike players like Revis, I don't see Cromartie's skillset translating into becoming a top-rated safety when he loses a step.

Again, if Jets don't cut Sanchez, they save the $4.8 mil of cap hit they would have to swallow on top of what they are paying him while keeping him. That $4.8mil in cap saving (assuming Jets have exactly $4.8mil of cap space left at the end of the year for argument sake) is then pushed to 2014 and Jets allowed cap room increases by $4.8 mil. So Jets will have that cap room in anycase, Cutting him this year as opposed to the next year saves Jets $150k MAX. I'd rather keep a QB with 4 playoff road wins for $150k for a chance to see if he can make a comeback.

Cutting or trading Cromartie does not result in $11mil of cap hit. Its actually half of that, $5.5mil, while saving Jets a net cap space of $9.5mil. Is there anyone here that thinks Jets will pay Cromartie $9.5mil to play at age 30? Probably, since he played lights out in 2012 and we anticipate a somewhat similar production in 2013. But in all fairness, we either try to move him, or extend him, which will result in cap saving in any case. Cutting him at the beginning of 2013 year would have resulted in a net saving of $1.25 mil while losing a probowl corner. See here for his pre-2013 season release affect.

I don't want him gone. I just don't see Kyle Wilson being our #1 CB. I actually don't want to see Wilson be our #2 either. He's good against the slot and thats where he should be. His overall performance in 2012 doesn't take into account all the misscues by WRs, QBs, or both when going up against Wilson. I can think of a ton of plays where Wilson got beat but QB or WR just made a bad play while Wilson took credit for it with his sissy "finger" warning. Thats why I hope we get a first for Revis this year so we can draft our corner early and have him step up in Sophomore year.

Again, if Jets don't cut Sanchez, they save the $4.8 mil of cap hit they would have to swallow on top of what they are paying him while keeping him. That $4.8mil in cap saving (assuming Jets have exactly $4.8mil of cap space left at the end of the year for argument sake) is then pushed to 2014 and Jets allowed cap room increases by $4.8 mil. So Jets will have that cap room in anycase, Cutting him this year as opposed to the next year saves Jets $150k MAX. I'd rather keep a QB with 4 playoff road wins for $150k for a chance to see if he can make a comeback.

Cutting or trading Cromartie does not result in $11mil of cap hit. Its actually half of that, $5.5mil, while saving Jets a net cap space of $9.5mil. Is there anyone here that thinks Jets will pay Cromartie $9.5mil to play at age 30? Probably, since he played lights out in 2012 and we anticipate a somewhat similar production in 2013. But in all fairness, we either try to move him, or extend him, which will result in cap saving in any case. Cutting him at the beginning of 2013 year would have resulted in a net saving of $1.25 mil while losing a probowl corner. See here for his pre-2013 season release affect.

I don't want him gone. I just don't see Kyle Wilson being our #1 CB. I actually don't want to see Wilson be our #2 either. He's good against the slot and thats where he should be. His overall performance in 2012 doesn't take into account all the misscues by WRs, QBs, or both when going up against Wilson. I can think of a ton of plays where Wilson got beat but QB or WR just made a bad play while Wilson took credit for it with his sissy "finger" warning. Thats why I hope we get a first for Revis this year so we can draft our corner early and have him step up in Sophomore year.

Re Cromartie, you're right.  I don't know what numbers I was looking at.  

Re Sanchez, he sucks.  He will always suck.  He cannot throw a football straight except by accident; he panics; he senses pressure that isn't there and doesn't sense pressure that is; he is mopey; he doesn't seem to be bothered by losing; he has used the press conference podium to shift blame for the poorly thrown ball onto the receiver; he locks onto his receivers and cannot see or sense zone coverage; he pump fakes receivers he wants to throw to, giving safeties a free extra second to cheat over to the eventual target; he is stupid; if there is an awareness gene he is missing it.

Re Wilson, he is fine -- unless the ball is thrown well in his direction and the receiver doesn't flat-out drop it.  He seems to cover well but doesn't seem to have any sense of what to do once the ball is in the air or how to track it.  But for the most part he is able to stick with his receiver.  I don't know if he just needs a little more experience to improve to an acceptable level or better, or if his immature foolishness (like the wagging after an incomplete pass despite his blown coverage) will prevent him from improving.  Revis II he is not.

Re Sanchez, he sucks.  He will always suck.  He cannot throw a football straight except by accident; he panics; he senses pressure that isn't there and doesn't sense pressure that is; he is mopey; he doesn't seem to be bothered by losing; he has used the press conference podium to shift blame for the poorly thrown ball onto the receiver; he locks onto his receivers and cannot see or sense zone coverage; he pump fakes receivers he wants to throw to, giving safeties a free extra second to cheat over to the eventual target; he is stupid; if there is an awareness gene he is missing it.

Re Wilson, he is fine -- unless the ball is thrown well in his direction and the receiver doesn't flat-out drop it.  He seems to cover well but doesn't seem to have any sense of what to do once the ball is in the air or how to track it.  But for the most part he is able to stick with his receiver.  I don't know if he just needs a little more experience to improve to an acceptable level or better, or if his immature foolishness (like the wagging after an incomplete pass despite his blown coverage) will prevent him from improving.  Revis II he is not.

There are a bunch of DB's in free agency that I would rather look at before we draft one and expect him to step in...

As far as Wilson, I think last year's circumstances may have actually helped him a bit.  While he's certainly far from an all-world talent, I definitely think getting forced into more and more action helped him improve a bit, as I think the guy we saw in week 3 was having far more issues than the guy we saw at the end of the season.  Not necessarily what the Jets were hoping for when they drafted him mind you, but it's something.  Not to mention, I think he seemed to be better served covering on the outside than as the nickel.

I thought the redo on Cromartie's deal made it more likely for him to stay.  They pushed some of his cap hit over to 2014 by converting to bonus. They will have more dead money if they cut him, no?

Moving the money over to 2014 has no effect on Cromartie, from his release/cut/trade standpoint. Why? Because his cap savings remained unchanged at $9.5mil. Its just that he'll be counted much greater against the cap ($15 mil) than before ($10.8 mil). If anything, Jets have a huge incentive to release or trade him if they are really cap strapped, especially since they have now moved the $4.2mil of Cro's cap in to 2014.

I didn't think Jets were going to trade Revis this year either. But when you look at his contract, it seems like Tanny gave the contract intentionally with the idea of trading him in 2013 in mind. Because he would have counted for $9mil of dead money in 2014 if he had completed his contract. His net effect on salary would have been a hit of $3mil ($9mil dead money, minus $6mil of base salary of 2014 that got voided). His cap hit this year would be $3mil as well, same as it would be in 2014. So with a base of just $6mil, Jets would have a relatively easier time to trade him.

Im a Tanny fan. Yeah, he made some mistakes and gave out a few bad contracts, but he never overpaid for any of his players at the time. Sanchez extension was always looked upon as giving Sanchez an additional couple of mils, but it bought the Jets three extra cheap years from a QB that went for 30+ TDs in 2011. We always knew it would be a 2 yr deal at the minimum. We didn't overpay for Holmes at the time. He was looked upon as an elite WR when he entered FA in 2011.

Even now, Jets aren't in such a bad shape with $15mil of cap space in the pocket and a chance of getting an additional $10mil via couple more restructures. Its not the ideal situation, but its not terrible either. He plays the cap, but he just wasn't a great talent evaluator. We all knew that the moment he took over the office. Its not like he cheated his way to the GM spot.

If they trade Revis it's like they have over 30 million, amirite?!?! 

See above post.

"His cap hit this year would be $3mil as well, same as it would be in

2014. So with a base of just $6mil, Jets would have a relatively easier

time to trade him."

Base this year is $9mil. But he is carrying $12mil of the prorated portion of his signing bonus, which will accelerate to 2013. So his $9mil is off the books, but his $12mil of prorated bonus will go ON the books, giving us a net cap hit of $3mil AND losing the player. That is why Jets need to get great trade value for him.

Archived