I am starting to despise Idzik already

Jetfan13

Holmes is costing the Jets the exact same amount of money right now as he would if he were off the team (and less against the cap).  Idzik got him to agree to a paycut, not a restructure but a paycut, that dropped his pay down to what his guaranteed salary was for this year.  Fantastic move.  As far as Landry, do you think the Jets would have been best served paying him over $6 million/year?  Because that's what it would have taken.  Pouha was old, injured, expensive and is still out there if they chose to bring him back.  So beyond that we're left with DeVito who the Jets actually wanted to bring back, got $4M/year, and on the Jets would have been on the depth chart behind Wilkerson and Coples.

But yeah, the Jets daring to sign a FB for peanuts onto a roster in which they had none is certainly good reason to despise Idzik.

As for Pouha and DeVito, these are typical Steelers/Pats type moves.  We invested in Wilkerson, Coples, Ellis.  It's time to take the training wheels off.  Those guys are the future of the D-Line, not Pouha and DeVito.  In what's likely a throw away year, why not force the issue.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huge problem?  We were 6-10 after last year, and we're complaining about not having 8 of the 22 starters who contributed to that back?  Once it's accepted that this is a rebuild, every single move made looks like a good one thus far.

As for the original post... Big signing?  That's worked well for the Jets in the past.  The Tannenbaum era was a rousing success!

Huge was me being sarcastic and it is losing 8 starters on D that I was discussing.  It also looks like they are losing 2 OGs, the TE and  RB.  The O REALLY sucked, so that is less of a big deal.

We're just gonna differ on this all year. I can't believe that Rex can go 6-10--bad roster or not--and keep his job because he's organized behind the scenes, or seems to relate well to the secretaries in the building. It'll be three seasons since the Jets were relevant. That's a death knell for any coach.

Also, you demand Tampa's pick this year because it seems likely their 2014 pick won't be higher than this year's #13.

Agree on the pick, but there are different kinds of 6-10.  Put me in the Slats camp on this one, though I do tend to think they are planning to fire him.

Idzik is giving me all the material necessary to eventually compare him to Theo Epstein. If FA ends up like I think it might end up for the Jets then I see some parallels between 2013 Los Yets and 2013 Los Cubbos.

I like the strategy so far. I think it's less of a rebuild than most have already written the narrative as, but not going balls in is probably a good idea.

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?733231-When-will-they-spend-Do-they-spend-to-contend-or-spend-when-they-can-contend

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?780279-Organizational-Philosophy-Discussion-Thread

Those were fun.

Huge was me being sarcastic and it is losing 8 starters on D that I was discussing.  It also looks like they are losing 2 OGs, the TE and  RB.  The O REALLY sucked, so that is less of a big deal.

Hint: I was joining with you in that response.  I agree entirely.

Anyone else weirded out that the people here who were most into bringing Landry back are the same ones who turn around and want a rebuild? Landry was a GREAT signing on a one year deal - exactly the kind of signing a clever boy turning over his roster would make. That deal was worth it just for the quote about his workout attire. Landry on a multi-year deal to be the team's third best DB? Pass.

Its more about losing almost our entire defense and signing Hilliard and and some guy named Gibson. I am all for cutting the fat as was stated, but how can 8 new starters on defense be expected to pick up Rex's complex scheme and perform instantly? And the one guy I wish would have left, Holmes, decides to stay. Gonna be a long torturous year.

It's 2-4 new starters not 8, and 9, of our 2013 starters were on the team in 2012, that's not a situation where we have to worry about the defense not knowing the scheme.

Here are your D starters in 2013 that were on the 2012 roster, AS OF NOW! And I'm going to give it in what is essentially Rex's base D now a days the 3-3-5.

DL

M Wilk

K Ellis

Q Colpes

LB

G Mcyntyre

D Harris

D Davis

DB's

Revis

Cromartie

Wilson

Bush

Allen

Yes it is a POSSIBILITY Revis is gone, and both Bush, and Allen aren't ready to start, but it is also a possibility we resign Bell, so worst case scenario we will have 3 starters who were not on the 2012 roster. And more than likely 1 of those 3 starters will be a top 10 draft pick, and if lucky could be a difference maker.

We're just gonna differ on this all year. I can't believe that Rex can go 6-10--bad roster or not--and keep his job because he's organized behind the scenes, or seems to relate well to the secretaries in the building. It'll be three seasons since the Jets were relevant. That's a death knell for any coach.

Also, you demand Tampa's pick this year because it seems likely their 2014 pick won't be higher than this year's #13.

We'll see. I don't see Rex as a lock, or even likely, to return next year. I just believe a lot of the professionalism that you apply to Idzik, and believe that has to include evaluating everyone working under him fairly.

If Idzik finds himself learning a lot about football from Rex this year, even if it's just on the defensive side of the ball, that alone could go a long way towards retaining him. Combine that with some turnaround on offense. Who knows?

It's 2-4 new starters not 8, and 9, of our 2013 starters were on the team in 2012, that's not a situation where we have to worry about the defense not knowing the scheme.

Here are your D starters in 2013 that were on the 2012 roster, AS OF NOW! And I'm going to give it in what is essentially Rex's base D now a days the 3-3-5.

DL

M Wilk

K Ellis

Q Colpes

LB

G Mcyntyre

D Harris

D Davis

DB's

Revis

Cromartie

Wilson

Bush

Allen

Yes it is a POSSIBILITY Revis is gone, and both Bush, and Allen aren't ready to start, but it is also a possibility we resign Bell, so worst case scenario we will have 3 starters who were not on the 2012 roster. And more than likely 1 of those 3 starters will be a top 10 draft pick, and if lucky could be a difference maker.

Bell has been gone since last night. (Cards) Revis is good as gone.  Neither Allen or Bush saw any relevant time at the positions we need filled. I would count Thomas as back before I would count on either of them without significant (vet/top 4 rounds pick) to start.  I'm also not a big fan of McIntyre as a standup LB, but some people here apparently find him acceptable.

Bell has been gone since last night. (Cards) Revis is good as gone.  Neither Allen or Bush saw any relevant time at the positions we need filled. I would count Thomas as back before I would count on either of them without significant (vet/top 4 rounds pick) to start.  I'm also not a big fan of McIntyre as a standup LB, but some people here apparently find him acceptable.

I'm not a big fan of Mcyntyre on a full time basis either, I didn't know Bell signed last night, and my whole point was basically stating that the D won't have 8 new starters who don't know the system. The absolute max will be 4.

I'm not a big fan of Mcyntyre on a full time basis either, I didn't know Bell signed last night, and my whole point was basically stating that the D won't have 8 new starters who don't know the system. The absolute max will be 4.

I know.  I made the same point earlier.  I hope it's 5 defensive starters that don't know the system - a new corner, 2 new safeties, and 2 OLBs.  I guess I would be happiest if Bush turns out, but I am not holding my breath and I can live with Wilson.

I cannot believe people are against the Landry non signing.

Most people forget that  Idzik was the only guy who was ready to inherit the sh*t bowl that was created by Tanny. He has limited cap room and overpaid, non performing contracts. There is only so much that can be done. I like Holmes contract being cut to only its guarantee portion, the way the JETS have created some cap space and the way they are going about it so far.

Landry at  6 mill per year is something this team cannot afford right now. Greene was a non fit for this offense going forward because of his lack of versatility and DeVito would be 3rd on the depth chart for 4 mill per year on the JETS.

Keller maybe another that some people might regret once he is signed somewhere. And we will have to see if Keller gives the JETS the opportunity to match his offer and if the JETS indeed want him back. Given we have 15 odd million in free cap space a Keller deal is doable.

Another move I was expecting and as yet has not happened is the JETS asking Sanchez to take a pay cut. Not restructuring but a pay cut and see what is the response back. It would make sense for Sanchez to take a pay cut so atleast all fans do not boo him when he walks out on the field with a clipboard!

I know.  I made the same point earlier.  I hope it's 5 defensive starters that don't know the system - a new corner, 2 new safeties, and 2 OLBs.  I guess I would be happiest if Bush turns out, but I am not holding my breath and I can live with Wilson.

I would be fine with most of that, I'm a realist here for the 2013 season, we are not winning a Super Bowl, but that doesn't mean we can't surprise a little, and develop some young players like D Davis, Colpes, Wilk, Bush, Allen, Ellis, and some draft picks, if at the end of the 2013 season if 4+ of these players are considered above average starters in the NFL I will be very happy.

If I am Sanchez I tell you GFY. 

Who are the two guys ahead of Devito on the depth chart?  IMO he is still ahead of Coples and I'm not even sure there are any other DEs on roster besides Wilkerson.  Agree on Landry.  Too much money and if Revis isn't worth $16M then Landry isn't worth $6M.

Its always a question of contract OR career. If you are Sanchez and still think you can revive your career than the JETS are your best bet. They do not have a starting caliber QB and you are their guy. They will give you the best oppurtunity to keep getting better. The JETS now have some cap space to cut Sanchez. I do not think any team would give him a look in beyond the camp fodder detail. Even Holmes could have said GFY. But at the end of the day good reasoning triumphed. And whether he says GFY or not there is no harm in asking!

Coples was anointed the starter on being drafted. DeVito was very good but the way Wilk and Coples progressed together with their pedigree of being 1st round picks there is no way they were going into camp without having both of them at #1 or #2 position on the depth chart. I agree its good to have depth as its also good to have a lot of salary cap space with no major holes. But the JETS are not in that position right now!

I think it'll be largely behind the scenes stuff. Idzik will want to see organizational skills, he'll want to see how Rex motivates players, and he'll want to see how players respond to him. I'm of the belief that Rex is here because Woody likes him, not because of money, and I'm sure Woody has expressed his likes and concerns about Rex to Idzik. Idzik, in turn, should talk to everyone in the building about Rex, and see what kind of working relationship they all have.

Listen, if the rumor that the Jets are holding out for the Bucs first rounder this year rather than next is true, then it would seem that Idzik has some desire to field as good a team as possible this year, too.

Well, Rex has taken a good first step.  Looks like he is no longer playing the blowhard.  In fact, the whole organization is quiet.  I love the silence, even though I am dying for news.  Typical conflicted Jet fan.

We'll see. I don't see Rex as a lock, or even likely, to return next year. I just believe a lot of the professionalism that you apply to Idzik, and believe that has to include evaluating everyone working under him fairly.

If Idzik finds himself learning a lot about football from Rex this year, even if it's just on the defensive side of the ball, that alone could go a long way towards retaining him. Combine that with some turnaround on offense. Who knows?

I think Rex's tenure beyond 2013 is going to depend on several factors.  

1. His performance this year, with what he has to work with.  2. His handling of media circumstance; I foresee a much subdued Rex moving forward. and 3. The coaching options that become available after this season.  Idzik has been preaching about "competition! competition!" and I think that'll start from the top down.  If Gruden, and Cowher, and the new hot college coaching prospect, and [fill in the blank] decide to throw their names in the hat, I could see Rex interviewing for his job after this season and Idzik selecting the best option for the team--out of a group of candidates. 

I cannot believe people are against the Landry non signing.

Most people forget that  Idzik was the only guy who was ready to inherit the sh*t bowl that was created by Tanny. He has limited cap room and overpaid, non performing contracts. There is only so much that can be done. I like Holmes contract being cut to only its guarantee portion, the way the JETS have created some cap space and the way they are going about it so far.

Landry at  6 mill per year is something this team cannot afford right now. Greene was a non fit for this offense going forward because of his lack of versatility and DeVito would be 3rd on the depth chart for 4 mill per year on the JETS.

Keller maybe another that some people might regret once he is signed somewhere. And we will have to see if Keller gives the JETS the opportunity to match his offer and if the JETS indeed want him back. Given we have 15 odd million in free cap space a Keller deal is doable.

Another move I was expecting and as yet has not happened is the JETS asking Sanchez to take a pay cut. Not restructuring but a pay cut and see what is the response back. It would make sense for Sanchez to take a pay cut so atleast all fans do not boo him when he walks out on the field with a clipboard!

I would not match Keller.  I would draft a REAL tight end.  I kind of hoped the fact that they did not ask Sanchez for a restructure might mean they could cut him, but I doubt that will happen.

I would not match Keller.  I would draft a REAL tight end.  I kind of hoped the fact that they did not ask Sanchez for a restructure might mean they could cut him, but I doubt that will happen.

Kellers Jets stock rose a Teeny bit when we switched to WCO, BUT, in rebuild mode, he will have to come on the cheap to stay a jet

I think Rex's tenure beyond 2013 is going to depend on several factors.  

1. His performance this year, with what he has to work with.  2. His handling of media circumstance; I foresee a much subdued Rex moving forward. and 3. The coaching options that become available after this season.  Idzik has been preaching about "competition! competition!" and I think that'll start from the top down.  If Gruden, and Cowher, and the new hot college coaching prospect, and [fill in the blank] decide to throw their names in the hat, I could see Rex interviewing for his job after this season and Idzik selecting the best option for the team--out of a group of candidates. 

If Rex has any more of those Omar Minaya Press Conferences next year he will be gone.  But I think they will assess him fairly at season's end, based on what they give him to work with.  This is now a professional organization---at least until Woody makes his next big mistake.

I ******* love Idzik already:

1. No leaks, no whining to the papers, the organization looks 1000% more professional already and he hasn't been here four months. He doesn't care about placating Cimini or Mehta or Francesa, which is a tough thing for a young executive. Guy seems to have no ego.

2. Has handled the Revis thing like a pimp. He's been patient, quiet, and is letting the market come to him. He hasn't been bullied by his agents, and he's currently got Tampa over a barrel if they want Revis. Additionally, it takes balls to do something he knows will be unpopular without first trying to sell it through the media. Professional.

3. He's not chasing short-term gains at the expense of future maneuverability. The easy thing to do would be to chase a few name free agents to placate season ticket holders, Rex, Woody, and--again--the media. Signing Landey back would have been popular. Signing Osi Umenyiora would be popular. But it seems like he has no interest in anyone over the age of 26 who carries a price tag.

4. He's not afraid to hang Rex out to dry. Say what you want about evaluating Rex, but Vince Lombardi wouldn't look good coaching this roster. At this point, it's hard to see Idzik sign a bunch of guys to help Rex out, and unless he nails every single draft pick, Rex is going into the season with a roster geared toward 2015 at the earliest.

5. Has built cap space without tying up dead weight, other than Santonio. Cro was going to be here anyway. He could have renegotiated Pouha's deal to save money, he could have strung out a deal for Bell and/or Landry, but he's not spending a dime he doesn't have to. It wouldn't surprise me if he used his new cap space to dump a Sanchez, or a likewise burdensome contract that will cost a lot against the cap in 2013. Clean slate, baby.

~ ~ agree.

he's " cleaning house " ; cool :headbang:

I would be fine with most of that, I'm a realist here for the 2013 season, we are not winning a Super Bowl, but that doesn't mean we can't surprise a little, and develop some young players like D Davis, Colpes, Wilk, Bush, Allen, Ellis, and some draft picks, if at the end of the 2013 season if 4+ of these players are considered above average starters in the NFL I will be very happy.

I think a healthy Coples gets double digit sacks next year.

Its always a question of contract OR career. If you are Sanchez and still think you can revive your career than the JETS are your best bet. They do not have a starting caliber QB and you are their guy. They will give you the best oppurtunity to keep getting better. The JETS now have some cap space to cut Sanchez. I do not think any team would give him a look in beyond the camp fodder detail. Even Holmes could have said GFY. But at the end of the day good reasoning triumphed. And whether he says GFY or not there is no harm in asking!

Coples was anointed the starter on being drafted. DeVito was very good but the way Wilk and Coples progressed together with their pedigree of being 1st round picks there is no way they were going into camp without having both of them at #1 or #2 position on the depth chart. I agree its good to have depth as its also good to have a lot of salary cap space with no major holes. But the JETS are not in that position right now!

Coples wasn't annointed sh*t.  I think he started 2 games.  Near the end of the season he was playing under 40% of the snaps while Devito was playing close to 60%.  I'm not sure of all the games because I only started checking at the end of the year because I kept hearing how Coples was coming on, but didn't see him on the field too much.  By most accounts he played considerably more at the end of the year.  I didn't want to overpay to keep Devito, but that is a loss that will be felt.  Think Kelly Gregg as opposed to Adalius Thomas.

I ******* love Idzik already:

1. No leaks, no whining to the papers, the organization looks 1000% more professional already and he hasn't been here four months. He doesn't care about placating Cimini or Mehta or Francesa, which is a tough thing for a young executive. Guy seems to have no ego.

2. Has handled the Revis thing like a pimp. He's been patient, quiet, and is letting the market come to him. He hasn't been bullied by his agents, and he's currently got Tampa over a barrel if they want Revis. Additionally, it takes balls to do something he knows will be unpopular without first trying to sell it through the media. Professional.

3. He's not chasing short-term gains at the expense of future maneuverability. The easy thing to do would be to chase a few name free agents to placate season ticket holders, Rex, Woody, and--again--the media. Signing Landey back would have been popular. Signing Osi Umenyiora would be popular. But it seems like he has no interest in anyone over the age of 26 who carries a price tag.

4. He's not afraid to hang Rex out to dry. Say what you want about evaluating Rex, but Vince Lombardi wouldn't look good coaching this roster. At this point, it's hard to see Idzik sign a bunch of guys to help Rex out, and unless he nails every single draft pick, Rex is going into the season with a roster geared toward 2015 at the earliest.

5. Has built cap space without tying up dead weight, other than Santonio. Cro was going to be here anyway. He could have renegotiated Pouha's deal to save money, he could have strung out a deal for Bell and/or Landry, but he's not spending a dime he doesn't have to. It wouldn't surprise me if he used his new cap space to dump a Sanchez, or a likewise burdensome contract that will cost a lot against the cap in 2013. Clean slate, baby.

I really have no opinion of the guy yet.  Seems like he's rebuilding and cutting the crap.    Jets have no real money to sign anybody. He's replacing a GM who was a disaster. And Revis hasn't been traded or resigned, so the only credit deserved is not begging to be in the newspapers.  

It's easy to look good when you've been on the job for about 3 months and haven't played a game yet or drafted anybody and the coaching staff was pretty much intact when you were hired so you can't get bashed for hiring a bad coach.  Tearing apart a crappy team is pretty easy.  Who would say you're wrong?  Actually building a winning team is an entirely different ball game.        

And I bet many  who say he's doing a great job now, will just blame Rex, Sanchez and the coaches if they go 1-15 and none of the 2013 draft picks are any good.      I'm glad Tanny is gone and I'm glad it seems like Idzik is trying to change things.   But the guy really hasn't had to make any hard decisions yet for me to say if he's good or bad or just mediocre.  

Coples wasn't annointed sh*t.  I think he started 2 games.  Near the end of the season he was playing under 40% of the snaps while Devito was playing close to 60%.  I'm not sure of all the games because I only started checking at the end of the year because I kept hearing how Coples was coming on, but didn't see him on the field too much.  By most accounts he played considerably more at the end of the year.  I didn't want to overpay to keep Devito, but that is a loss that will be felt.  Think Kelly Gregg as opposed to Adalius Thomas.

Settle down!

He was annointed a starter. I remember our HC saying so.

Now all of that was last season. Going into next season its not out of reason to expect both of them to step up and take majority of the snaps given where they were drafted and how they were coming along thru the season.

Settle down!

He was annointed a starter. I remember our HC saying so.

Now all of that was last season. Going into next season its not out of reason to expect both of them to step up and take majority of the snaps given where they were drafted and how they were coming along thru the season.

Our coach says a lot of sh*t, but the guy didn't start. 

Archived