Pounding the table...

Greenseed4

The premise of this thread is that we (somehow) enter the 2013 NFL draft with a first round pick #9 and #13. 

For some reason, having two picks so closely together in the first round tends to test the boundaries of the BPA drafting strategy.  All of a sudden the drafting goal moves from singular player value, to gaining the best combination of value.  In this scenario, distribution becomes key in having the most impact full draft.

For example:

(1)- "The Safe Bet". We can double-dip at the safest position and create an all-world O-line.  While this doesn't add any playmakers to our roster, it sets up other players for success in protecting the run game, and keeping our QB upright. However, it neglects the entire defensive side of the ball requiring us to address that early in the 2nd. 

#9: Warmack

#13: Cooper

(2)- "Flash and Bang". We add speed to both sides of the ball.  This shows that we go to the Draft to find our studs (rather than free agency), doing so we gamble on production but do so for cheaper and longer contracts.  Both players are considered undersized, but pound-for-pound might be the best two players in this draft.   

#9 Tavon Austin

#13 Barkevious Mingo

(3)- "Bring in the Beef".  Adding competition and qualtiy depth on both the Offensive and Defensive line is something this team needs in folds...and doing so with dependable big-bodies is a good way to start.  Bringing in both of them would give our team something to grow upon with minimal risk. 

#9 Star Lotulelei

#13 John Cooper

(4)- "Star Struck".  Bring in some 'name' talent after enduring a trade down.  They fill roles that we need, but getting both in this round ignores the depth of the draft.  However, Lacy is the undisputed best RB in this draft, if we can land him (plus another pick) after trading down...I can't think of a better "value" pic. 

#9 Jarvis Jones

#19 Eddie Lacy plus third rounder (Marcus Lattimore to sit on IR for one year). 

Who would you pound the table for?

The premise of this thread is that we (somehow) enter the 2013 NFL draft with a first round pick #9 and #13. 

For some reason, having two picks so closely together in the first round tends to test the boundaries of the BPA drafting strategy.  All of a sudden the drafting goal moves from singular player value, to gaining the best combination of value.  In this scenario, distribution becomes key in having the most impact full draft.

For example:

(1)- "The Safe Bet". We can double-dip at the safest position and create an all-world O-line.  While this doesn't add any playmakers to our roster, it sets up other players for success in protecting the run game, and keeping our QB upright. However, it neglects the entire defensive side of the ball requiring us to address that early in the 2nd. 

#9: Warmack

#13: Cooper

(2)- "Flash and Bang". We add speed to both sides of the ball.  This shows that we go to the Draft to find our studs (rather than free agency), doing so we gamble on production but do so for cheaper and longer contracts.  Both players are considered undersized, but pound-for-pound might be the best two players in this draft.   

#9 Tavon Austin

#13 Barkevious Mingo

(3)- "Bring in the Beef".  Adding competition and qualtiy depth on both the Offensive and Defensive line is something this team needs in folds...and doing so with dependable big-bodies is a good way to start.  Bringing in both of them would give our team something to grow upon with minimal risk. 

#9 Star Lotulelei

#13 John Cooper

(4)- "Star Struck".  Bring in some 'name' talent after enduring a trade down.  They fill roles that we need, but getting both in this round ignores the depth of the draft.  However, Lacy is the undisputed best RB in this draft, if we can land him (plus another pick) after trading down...I can't think of a better "value" pic. 

#9 Jarvis Jones

#19 Eddie Lacy plus third rounder (Marcus Lattimore to sit on IR for one year). 

Who would you pound the table for?

beeeeeeef

I'll go first:

I'm going to pound the table for Tavon Austin at #9.

He is by far the most explosive offensive weapon coming out this year.  He can take the ball to the house from simple hitch routes, quick slants.  He is a deadly screen option, and can carry the ball as a RB.  People want to slight him for his body size...but he's a football player through and through.   He might only be 5'8'', 175... But he put up 225 fourteen time.s.   He's impossible to cover, and improbable to catch from behind.  He's the perfect YAC guy for our WCO.  

If they end up with 9 and 13, I'd hope that Idzik would do everything he could to dump out of one of them. Some other team is bound to freak about about the scarcity of QBs in this draft, and paranoia could make them deal up for a Barkley, or one of the DE's. I think it's going to be a wild first round that way.

I'll go "Flash and Bang" because that's been our weakness for a long time now. No team speed. Our offensive line is still pretty solid and mostly we need guards more than tackles, and guards can be had in later rounds. Our defensive line has plenty of talent already.

I am not convinced that Sanblowmeo plays this year with this injury, and I do not want to wait for the first day of TC or the first day of the season to find out.  Especially considering the nature of the injury and the character of the injured.  This Austin sounds like a playmaker.  So I want the LB and the wideout.

star is working out today at his pro day so he is cleared.  He was a consensus top 5 pick before his condition and if he drops to us i think its a no brainer

before that condition if you said the jets at 9 would get star people would laugh but this may be really lucky for us

i think we need to address the offensive line. so i would be hoping for one of the guards to drop to us at 9. in the event that we get another 1st (say Tampa) i would say try and move that for some more draft picks. this draft is deep and will provide good depth in the mid rounds at our positions of need along the offensive line/defensive line and linebackers.

Use whichever you can't trade and try to get more picks next year.

Stock piling picks is nice, but you need to know how to draft players and develop them. Plus what makes any draft better than the next when it comes to most player?  There dont seem to be any Lucks or RG3s next season either, so stock pile for 2015?

Stock piling picks is nice, but you need to know how to draft players and develop them. Plus what makes any draft better than the next when it comes to most player?  There dont seem to be any Lucks or RG3s next season either, so stock pile for 2015?

There are people absolutely in love with Bridgewater and Clowney, plus some love for Johnny Football.

Stock piling picks is nice, but you need to know how to draft players and develop them. Plus what makes any draft better than the next when it comes to most player? There dont seem to be any Lucks or RG3s next season either, so stock pile for 2015?

I'd rather have more picks next season, there's a few players I like plus you could always try to trade again for more picks the follow year.

Next years draft is going to be very weak due to the record number of underclassman that came out this season. If your going to stock pile picks it better be for the 1st two rounds of this season. But yes in general your right as you have to know who to draft otherwise that quantity over quality thing will comeback to bit you.

I love Austin but he can kiss my rear if Star is somehow there. I would tell Goodell that if the Bills were not to trade out of 8th to a team wanting to select Star he might as well stay at the podium and announce our pick no latter than 10 second of shaking the prospect drafted8th overall. Also if Efirent isn't drafted in the 1st I would have to serious consider trading up past the Browns and Cardinals in the 2nd round to draft him. A lot of mocks have him in the 1st but the fit doesn't make much sense with him going to the Packers who already have 5 TEs on the roster or have Ertz going to Atlanta to be a 2nd stringer despite them having all those holes at DE and CB. 

He looks amazing but unfortunately DL is arguably the strongest part of our team already. However, if the Jets really believe in his comparison to Ngata then I don't see how you can look the other way.

I love Austin but he can kiss my rear if Star is somehow there. I would tell Goodell that if the Bills were not to trade out of 8th to a team wanting to select Star he might as well stay at the podium and announce our pick no latter than 10 second of shaking the prospect drafted8th overall.

Absolute zero interest in either guard in the first round. One of the problems with the Jets salary cap structure right now is having the best center in football. Don't need the best guard, too. Guards can be found in later rounds.

At #9 and #13, you need to be swinging for star power.

Archived