Cimini: Prepare For Wild Month

flgreen

No fooling: Prepare for a wild month

April, 1, 2013
Apr 1

10:38

AM ET

It's April 1, and we're not fooling when we tell you this could be one of the most eventful months in recent Jets history. A chronological preview of what might occur:

April 15: Off-season program begins. Ordinarily, this is a relatively ho-hum date on the football calendar, but the Jets have two high-profile players under contract -- Darrelle Revis and Tim Tebow -- whose futures with the team are uncertain. Will they show or will they stay away, knowing their days as Jets could be numbered?

Technically, the workouts are voluntary (there's no penalty for skipping), but if often illustrates the mindset of a player if he doesn't show. Revis has a $1 million workout bonus, but he can afford to miss a few because the bonus is triggered with an 83-percent attendance rate. He has been training and rehabbing his surgically repaired knee in Arizona. It's not in Tebow's makeup to skip team activities, but there has to be some frustration, a feeling that he's being strung along by the Jets.

April 22-25: Revis trade winds. The Jets-Bucs trade chatter has been quiet recently, but it'll perk up as we get closer to the April 25 draft. There's still a good chance this trade gets done, but it likely won't be an on-the-clock deal. The Bucs would need time to negotiate a contract (that won't take long) and give Revis a physical exam to check out his knee. There's considerable risk in trading for someone coming off ACL surgery, and you'd think the Bucs would want their doctors to see the knee up-close.

April 25: Draft day, Round 1: The Jets own the ninth pick and -- who knows? -- perhaps the 13th pick if they can extract that from the Bucs. With nine and 13, they could fill two of their many needs. The drama will build if West Virginia QB Geno Smith falls to nine, which seems likely with the Bills (No. 8) signing Kevin Kolb, the Raiders (No. 3) trying to trade for Matt Flynn and the Cards (No. 7) waiting in the weeds for Carson Palmer. If the Jets pick a quarterback at No. 9, or even one in the second round (No. 39), it would be a franchise-altering move.

April 27, Rounds 4-7: The Jets figure to step up their efforts to trade Tebow, hoping for a late-round draft pick. If they can't deal him during the draft, it'll probably mark the end of Tebow Time in New York.

2.  Why the **** would drafting a QB automatically be "a franchise altering move."  Who gives a ****?  It's this stupid mindset which keeps them from developing anybody.  Throw them to the dogs and then act surprised that they suck.

technically it would be franchise altering. Not stated whether it would be good or bad. But altered, sure. 

technically it would be franchise altering. Not stated whether it would be good or bad. But altered, sure. 

Oh please.   A second round pick?  Kellen Clemens sure altered this franchise.  In 2 years nobody will remember his ******* name.  Just that stupid picture with him holding the grinder.

Florio yesterday:

The fact that the Bucs have yet to sign another cornerback, coupled with
the belief in league circles that ownership in Tampa wants Revis, means
that this deal isn’t dead, yet. In the end, it could make for some
unexpected twists on the night of Thursday, April 25.

Cimini today:

it likely won't be an on-the-clock deal.

All the media last month:

The Jets can't wait to deal Revis. They will take anything for him. A deal is imminent.

i wonder how the franchise would deal with Sanchez (forget tebow for the moment) if Geno is the pick... I mean here u have Sanchez and his Jets West and face-of-the-franchise vibe...talk about potentially splitting the locker room. Again.

Would they go into camp still with the open competition mantra? Or would they just get rid of Sanchez and hand the reigns to Geno.

I don't see how Geno can beat Sanchez out in a camp competition.

1.  A wild month?  April fool's!

2.  Why the **** would drafting a QB automatically be "a franchise altering move."  Who gives a ****?  It's this stupid mindset which keeps them from developing anybody.  Throw them to the dogs and then act surprised that they suck.

It's the kind of stupid, single minded mentality that builds up when everyone gets used to accepting losing. You get every T0m, Dick, and Harry claiming there is only one way to win and the Jets don't have it so don't even bother. Save your chips for the future...in a league that doesn't guarantee contracts and has a salary cap...it's such a strange, lazy mentality. 

i wonder how the franchise would deal with Sanchez (forget tebow for the moment) if Geno is the pick... I mean here u have Sanchez and his Jets West and face-of-the-franchise vibe...talk about potentially splitting the locker room. Again.

Would they go into camp still with the open competition mantra? Or would they just get rid of Sanchez and hand the reigns to Geno.

I don't see how Geno can beat Sanchez out in a camp competition.

Sanchez is not the face of the franchise.  He is a subpar QB.  It's nice that he runs his Jets West and gets tutored by Garcia, but until he plays better, MUCH better, I do not give a flying **** about splitting the lockerroom over a sh*tty QB.  Which of these guys is a Sanchez ride or die bitch that isn't going to play for Smith if Geno beats him out in camp?  Santonio Holmes? Hahahhahahahaha.  

You can't see how Geno can beat Sanchez out in a camp competition?  This is a ******* guy that ass fumbled and scored zero points last preseason.  Seems like an insurmountable chore for any rookie!

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Santonio Holmes appears in <4 games for the 2013 Jets.

If we are talking regular season games, I am taking the under.  But trooper that Holmes is, he'll make it back for the playoffs.

Sanchez is not the face of the franchise.  He is a subpar QB.  It's nice that he runs his Jets West and gets tutored by Garcia, but until he plays better, MUCH better, I do not give a flying **** about splitting the lockerroom over a sh*tty QB.  Which of these guys is a Sanchez ride or die bitch that isn't going to play for Smith if Geno beats him out in camp?  Santonio Holmes? Hahahhahahahaha.  

You can't see how Geno can beat Sanchez out in a camp competition?  This is a ******* guy that ass fumbled and scored zero points last preseason.  Seems like an insurmountable chore for any rookie!

Well, Smith is a guy who took two safety's in his bowl game.

It'll be fun to watch................................................If your a Pats fan

Well, Smith is a guy who took two safety's in his bowl game.

It'll be fun to watch................................................If your a Pats fan

I'm not a huge Geno Smith fan. I have no problem with passing over the guy, but passing him over because of Sanchez?  Because Sanchez is the face of the franchise?  Because you can't see a rookie beating Sanchez out?  Because it will fracture the lockerroom?  No ******* way.

Archived