Sal Paolantonio on Milliner

T0mShane

So Austin was their guy ? Ok did they bother to call the Rams ? because if the Rams would have offered the Jets what they offered the Bills no way could the Jets pass up all those picks .... Tells me the Jets did not handle this situation as well as they could have. As per usual

if the Idiot Jets call the Rams they would have had the 13th and 16th pick and 2 2nd 3rd and 5th round picks

Huh?  This makes absolutely no sense.  The whole reason the Rams were trading up to begin with was to JUMP the Jets.  No way in hell they would make that deal for multiple reasons:  1) The Rams would be risking someone else trading up with the Bills to grab Austin, 2) Neither team would have any interest in making the deal before the Jets were on the clock, and therefore, most importantly of all, 3) No way in hell the Rams are going to trust the Jets to not go ahead and grab Austin themselves when the Jets interest in him was the entire reason the Rams traded up.

Why in the hell would the Rams risk all of that just to give up the same picks to get a pick one spot lower?  Now THAT would be idiotic, and never, ever would have happened, no matter what Idzik said or did.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

holy mother of god PAC . Who has Austin right now ???? The team who also has been saying they wanted him the Rams and they offered a boat load of picks to trade up and get him. MY QUESTION TO YOU IS did the Jets not see the possibility the Rams might jump them and deal with the Bills ? of course they didnt because they suck at the draft.

With that being said if the Jets did notice and called the Rams do you think it would have been a good move to pass up all those picks and select Austin ??? We have been talking anout trading out of one of our picks for more picks all week and the Jets NEED picks because we are in need at so many positions. In your mind you give that up for a five foot 8 slot receiver which we already have in Kerly ??

Why would the Rams call us to trade up when we're the team that's going to pick their player? 

I'm fairly certain as soon as we got the 13th from the Bucs the Rams went from 80% to 100% that they were making a deal with the Bills.  Hell the Bills may have even called them...  Keeps them from having to face Austin twice a year.

Milliner was dubbed the best player on his defense, and his pass deflections were tops in the nation. He might not have the natural hands that Revis had, but that seems to be the theme with ALL of our players; offense and defense alike.

I'm on my phone so I can't look it up (quickly, anyway), but I think Mayock said that Revis only had 2 more interceptions in his college career than Milliner had. Perhaps some time on the jugs can convert some tips into picks.

What I like about the pick, more than the more visibly fluid DJ Hayden, is Milliners tackling ability. Not only can he man handle a teams WR2, but he can tackle with the best of them, and that's a big deal in our defense.

How would the Jets know the Rams, or any team for that matter, would make a play for him? With their crystal ball? That is completely unfair. It's total hindsight, monday morning stuff you're talking about Smash. No team is going to run their draft in complete paranoia of, "what ifs" on every other team trying to trade up in front of them.

And no, I wouldn't expect the Jets to take any deal on a guy who was their first choice all along. They'd have just taken Austin.

It doesn't matter, even if the Jets DID know the Rams were going to trade up for Austin, there is still ZERO chance the Rams would even consider making that deal with the Jets.  Why the hell would they?  You don't try to trade with the team who you're worried about possibly taking the guy you want.

Milliner was dubbed the best player on his defense, and his pass deflections were tops in the nation. He might not have the natural hands that Revis had, but that seems to be the theme with ALL of our players; offense and defense alike.

I'm on my phone so I can't look it up (quickly, anyway), but I think Mayock said that Revis only had 2 more interceptions in his college career than Milliner had. Perhaps some time on the jugs can convert some tips into picks.

What I like about the pick, more than the more visibly fluid DJ Hayden, is Milliners tackling ability. Not only can he man handle a teams WR2, but he can tackle with the best of them, and that's a big deal in our defense.

That's another thing that's not being mentioned enough..  Milliner isn't going to be expected to lock down the Andre Johnsons and Calvin Johnsons..  That's Cro's job.  He'll be facing teams # 2's.  That alone makes the Revis comparisions irrelevant.

Smash use your head.  You're trying to tell me they Rams saw an article 2 days ago and sprung into action?

Our offense was a dumpster fire last year.  OF COURSE we were contemplating taking the most dynamic offensive weapon in the draft.  There has been talk about the Rams moving up for Austin for months.

I actually agree with you. I'm sure it was obvious within league circles that the Jets coveted Austin. 

When he gets snapped in half on his first quadruple motion triple reverse wildcat carry on 3rd and 13, we'll be happy to have Milliner.

That's another thing that's not being mentioned enough..  Milliner isn't going to be expected to lock down the Andre Johnsons and Calvin Johnsons..  That's Cro's job.  He'll be facing teams # 2's.  That alone makes the Revis comparisions irrelevant.

******* right.

I hate when we agree, but yes. 

Can I light you on fire?

I'll be over Rexsteris when he's sitting between Dan Marino and Boomer Esiason yukking it up over absolutely nothing.

To be clear, I didn't mean it in the grand scheme of things, I know better than that, but rather this morning's rant(s) that anything and everything this team does is decided by Rex.

That's another thing that's not being mentioned enough.. Milliner isn't going to be expected to lock down the Andre Johnsons and Calvin Johnsons.. That's Cro's job. He'll be facing teams # 2's. That alone makes the Revis comparisions irrelevant.

So we just used the 9th overall pick to shut down Brian Hartline and Julian Edelman.

a couple things....

there are very few true shutdown corners so saying this is not exactly going out on a limb

we don't need him to be a shutdown corner, we need him to be above average at the least. if he can do that then we will have upgraded our defense. of course not an upgrade over revis, but no one is and its quite possibly that revis is historically the best cb to ever play. can't replace that tit for tat. but you don't need that level of cb play to be a top 5 defense. hell, i bet revis will never live up to what he used to be......he was just too good for a couple of years there......thats like asking babe ruth to go out and hit 70 homeruns EVERY year.

and last but not least.......guy slike revis cost too much. he wanted to be paid well above slot for his position. just not worth it. especially since you will be paying for what he likely can not replicate. and even if he could it just doesn't make enough of an impact to be worth that money. there's a reason certain positions are worth more and some are worth less.

To be clear, I didn't mean it in the grand scheme of things, I know better than that, but rather this morning's rant(s) that anything and everything this team does is decided by Rex.

I think the thought that Rex still holds major influence in the building despite the hiring of a new GM is a fairly legitimate fear, no? And any evidence that would suggest that should rightly lead to immediate panic in the fanbase.

Why would the Rams call us to trade up when we're the team that's going to pick their player? 

I'm fairly certain as soon as we got the 13th from the Bucs the Rams went from 80% to 100% that they were making a deal with the Bills.  Hell the Bills may have even called them...  Keeps them from having to face Austin twice a year.

I said us call them not them call us read the post again. Once again it seems like everyone but the Jets and some of you here knew the Rams wanted Austin in a bad way.

I guess some of you guys were not following the chatter all week about the Rams but I heard it and read it on numerous occasions it was not a surprise, what was a surprise was how many picks they gave the Bills. I also heard the Bills wanted a QB that could have easily been had at the Rams pick at 16 and the Bills just happened to be the pick before the Jets (8). Would it have made no sense to you if the Jets pick up the phone to see whats on the Rams mind OR god for bid try and work a deal for more picks knowing they may very well be jumped?

if your a GM doing this for a living do you not look at every team in front of you and other teams that have interest in the player you want and Be proactive or do you just let the chips fall ?

The fact is, these people are professionals whose livelihood depends on the choices they make.  They do not make them to aggravate their fan base, or to please the losers at PFW or ESPN who expound daily on the draft prognosis.  I did not like the picks when I first heard them.  But these guys know a thousand times more than I do.  I either assume they are nincompoops, which is illogical, or I sit back and wait.

I think the thought that Rex still holds major influence in the building despite the hiring of a new GM is a fairly legitimate fear, no? And any evidence that would suggest that should rightly lead to immediate panic in the fanbase.

Perhaps, but I suppose I thought reaching that conclusion based simply on the fact that the Jets drafted defensive players when their alternative options were a G and a TE, may perhaps be a tad rash.

I said us call them not them call us read the post again. Once again it seems like everyone but the Jets and some of you here knew the Rams wanted Austin in a bad way.

I guess some of you guys were not following the chatter all week about the Rams but I heard it and read it on numerous occasions it was not a surprise, what was a surprise was how many picks they gave the Bills. I also heard the Bills wanted a QB that could have easily been had at the Rams pick at 16 and the Bills just happened to be the pick before the Jets (8). Would it have made no sense to you if the Jets pick up the phone to see whats on the Rams mind OR god for bid try and work a deal for more picks knowing they may very well be jumped?

if your a GM doing this for a living do you not look at every team in front of you and other teams that have interest in the player you want and Be proactive or do you just let the chips fall ?

You have posted some dreck in the past, but this might take the cake.

Why on Earth would the Rams want to trade up to #9 when there had been reports linking the Bills to Austin at #8?  And why would the Jets trade out of a spot when they have a chance to draft a guy that would've been the top player on their board?

I actually agree with you. I'm sure it was obvious within league circles that the Jets coveted Austin. 

When he gets snapped in half on his first quadruple motion triple reverse wildcat carry on 3rd and 13, we'll be happy to have Milliner.

LOL.

I was thinking how he would look overrunning Sanchez's passes and getting destroyed by LBs when he has to slow down for the passes that aren't entirely out of reach.

What makes this guy Desean Jackson and not Roscoe Parrish?

LOL.

I was thinking how he would look overrunning Sanchez's passes and getting destroyed by LBs when he has to slow down for the passes that aren't entirely out of reach.

What makes this guy Desean Jackson and not Roscoe Parrish?

Nothing, absolutely nothing. 

You have posted some dreck in the past, but this might take the cake.

Why on Earth would the Rams want to trade up to #9 when there had been reports linking the Bills to Austin at #8?  And why would the Jets trade out of a spot when they have a chance to draft a guy that would've been the top player on their board?

You're going to make Smash mad. 

Archived